PDA

View Full Version : Help save Louie

AlisonandMia
06-09-2009, 06:22 AM
I know this rightly belongs in the "Everything Else" forum but I also know that more people view the "Questions and Discussions" forum and Louie needs help from as many people as possible so I'm posting it here.

Some of the "old" cc.net members will remember Louie and his mom, Laura. Louie is a Chinese Crested Dog who was at one stage diagnosed as having Cushing's although eventually it was found that he was suffering from something even more potentially serious, intestinal lymphangiectasia.

Eventually he was stabilized on a special diet and has been doing really well.

Now his special diet (Royal Canin Digestive Low Fat Canned) has had its formula changed and Louie is potentially in big trouble. Laura has set up a website for Louie http://www.savelouie.com/ and her initial aim is to get 900 cans of the "old formula" for Louie. To date she's had a good response and has got hold of 99 cans and she needs more help from all over to try to secure the other 800 odd cans he will need to survive.

So go have a look at her site and find out about Louie and also all about how you can help Louie and Laura.

I've emailed Laura and told her about the new K9Cushing's site, too.

Alison

http://www.savelouie.com/louie.jpg

forscooter
06-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Alison,

I put a link up on my FB page and also emailed my vet...I am hoping with you posting this, there are enough of us to get him his food. I'll be contacting RC later as Laura asks on her page....the least they can do is tell her what was in the food!

Thanks for posting this! Beth

Squirt's Mom
06-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey Alison,

Thanks for posting this. I have wondered about Louie as we hadn't heard from them in a bit before the site went down. Bless his heart. Laura worked so hard to find something he could handle. And now they have changed the formula. :( Poor baby.

I will do what I can to get the word out, too.

Hugs,
Leslie

Louie's Mom
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Thank you, Allison, and all, for noticing Louie's website and offering to help. This has been a very difficult situation in that I have not found anything else that Louie can eat, so any help is appreciated.

So far we have located 420 cans of food in the US and Canada and I have in storage 99 cans at the moment--36 of which have been sent as part of the food drive.

I am not asking for any donations and will pay for all food and shipping charges. It's expensive, so donations of food will be accepted, but my main concern is getting the food for my boy.

All the details about what we are looking for are at the website at www.savelouie.com .

Finally, congratulations on getting this forum up and running. Very happy to see you all here!

Laura (aka Louie's Mom)

Kallie'smom
06-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm in!!! I have to go to the vets office today so I will check with them. There are a couple more in town (Green Bay, WI) I can check with too.

Tammy

corgipallie
06-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I'll check with my vet office too, and I just emailed my old vet from Colorado. I also posted it on Facebook and will send an email out to some co-workers and friends.

corgipallie
06-09-2009, 12:43 PM
My sister just sent me this link.
http://www.petfooddirect.com
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=2&brand_id=904

Is your food listed here?

Louie's Mom
06-09-2009, 03:34 PM
It cannot be ordered online because they are only producing the new formula now. He cannot eat chicken, which is now in the product.

I am trying to locate anyone who would have old stock that was purchased before the formula change happened (maybe 2 months ago). Although not all the online vendors have updated their websites/ingredients lists, they will only have the new ingredients.

Thanks!

corgipallie
06-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Pallie posted onto her Myspace page. One of her corgi-friend's mom just called and left a voicemail on my phone and she talked to someone at Royal Canin. She called 1-800-592-6687. Anyway, she said everything in the food in the same except for the fish because they had a problem with something IN the fish. My friend didn't elaborate and didn't know to ask them which kind of fish it was. But she did talk to a real person. Anyway, she did say to check Petsmart stores because they don't sell the food as quickly and carry Royal Canin.

It's probably info already out there, but I'm passing it along in case it helps at all.

Kallie'smom
06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry no luck with the vets, but I will check Petsmart.

Tammy

ventilate
06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Called my vets they have 4 cans they put away for me that have fish as the first ingred. they are dented but are sealed. I will pick them up tomorrow. Will call Petsmart
Sharon

Louie's Mom
06-09-2009, 04:48 PM
I just wanted to thank all of you. A large stock of the food we need has been located and I am making arrangments to purchase enough to allow us to call off the food drive :)

Thanks to everyone for your help and good wishes for Louie!

corgipallie
06-09-2009, 04:52 PM
That's terrific news!!:D

ventilate
06-09-2009, 04:56 PM
So you do not need the 4 cans I found?
Sharon

Squirt's Mom
06-09-2009, 05:00 PM
That is great news, Laura! Now, what do we do with the cans that are located from here on out? We have been very busy spreading the word this morning. :D Are you sure 900 cans will be enough?

Hugs,
Leslie

Louie's Mom
06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi Sharon,

Thank you so much for locating that food. If you have already purchased it, I will gladly buy it from you, but if you have not, I would say that we will not be needing it now. I apologize for getting everyone all revved up to help and then ending the drive so abruptly, but had no idea we were going to be successful with getting such a large stock of this food located!

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your kindness in making the effort. I think that 900 cans will reasonably last his lifetime, as he is 11.5 years old now and, given the overall state of his health, I am guessing we will be lucky to see him through to 15 years of age.

ventilate
06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
I called my vets and they put it back on the shelf. Glad to hear you found such a large stash, and that the change in ingred was found before Louie got sick from it.
Sharon

forscooter
06-09-2009, 06:47 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !:D:D:D

Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie

labblab
06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Laura, that is great news that you've found an ample supply of food!! I almost hesitate to mention what I'm about to mention, but I am one of the world's biggest worriers...

You've undoubtedly already thought of this, but you'd do well to check the "Best by" date for all of these cans, and arrange them in the appropriate order for Louie to chow down on. Since you are hoping they will carry you through for such a long time, I am surely hoping that they all have expiration dates that are a LONG time from now. But I am only used to dry kibble, and that is usually only good for around a year or so. I am hoping that the canned food will stay good for much longer than that. But obsessive-compulsive person that I am, I couldn't resist mentioning this to you...:o :o :o

Marianne

acushdogsmom
06-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Just posting a link here to Laura's blog, where she posts frequent updates about Louie, for anyone here who wants to follow Louie's story.

Even if he doesn't have Cushing's, Louie and Laura are still part of our "family" :)

http://savelouie.blogspot.com/

-----------------------------------------------------

* moderator's note: Now that the food drive goal for Louie has been met, this thread will be moved into our "Everything Else" Forum)

Squirt's Mom
06-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Cushy!

It will be nice to be able to know what is going on with Louie. And, yes, he is one of the family! :)

Hugs,
Leslie

Louie's Mom
06-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks! I am also trying to put together a decent list of other blogs and websites that have to do with pet foods, pet health and related issues, and will try to feature some of the more interesting articles I come across now and then.

I figure if I ended up on this soapbox by necessity, it might make sense to stay there. This could have happened to anyone's dog.