PDA

View Full Version : Restriction on consecutive searches

DrewCraven
10-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Hey all,

I occasionally come here to search the posts for specific phrases, and I frequently encounter the restriction that has been placed on making consecutive searches...

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 50 seconds.

It can be very frustrating to perform a search for which you get no results, and then have to sit and wait until the forum will permit you to search again.

I'm curious why this restriction was put into place. Surely the burden on the database without this restriction isn't so high that it interferes with the normal functioning of the site?

Budsters Mom
10-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Hi,

I have no idea as to the reasoning behind this, but I agree with you. I get frustrated when I see that message continue to pop when I am maneuvering the site. I have gotten used to it by now, but still don't like it much.:o

labblab
10-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Hmmmm...I have never encountered that message myself. I wonder whether site Administrators are somehow exempted, or perhaps more likely, my searches just always exceed 60 seconds.

So I was unaware the feature even existed and I assume it is a forum default function. Perhaps it is intended to thwart persistent automated or robotic searches? I do not know. I'll ask the other Administrators if they have any idea about this.

Marianne

Budsters Mom
10-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Yes Marianne, thank you! :p I repeatedly get that dang warning! :o I pop in all around the site watching out for specific threads as well as updates on others. It is something that I have learned to tolerate. :o

labblab
10-19-2014, 05:15 PM
So Kathy, are you getting the warning at times other than when you are plugging in a search term?

Squirt's Mom
10-19-2014, 05:19 PM
I get the same message when searching too fast. The first search brings no results so I add more or take away and it tells me to wait XX seconds. No biggie but it does happen.

Budsters Mom
10-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Oh yes!!!! I mostly get it when I'm on "new posts". I will click onto one of them, then try to go back to "new posts". That warning comes up that I have to wait an additional 20 to 30 seconds, if it hasn't been 60 seconds. I usually mutter a choice word about that time, depending on whether I'm at work or not.;) Quite often I only have a few minutes to check on things, so it is frustrating. I have been receiving that warning ever since I joined the forum. It is not new.

labblab
10-19-2014, 05:30 PM
OK, that is weird, because I flip quickly through the new posts all the time and have never seen that message. I guess I need to create a new, non-Admin dummy account and see what happens to me then. But it will have to wait for a while -- time to start dinner!!

Budsters Mom
10-19-2014, 05:46 PM
This is the warning that I just received when trying to go back to "new posts."

"This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 22 seconds."

Marianne, if you truly have never seen this message before, welcome to my world! ;):o

DrewCraven
10-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Yeah, viewing new posts or unread posts on forums technically constitutes a search (a query against the database), so I can see how that could also be happening. There's probably a setting in the Admin Control panel that allows you to change the search interval restriction or disable it.

labblab
10-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Yes, Drew, I'm betting you're right. I just created a dummy identity and I am getting the same restrictions as the rest of you. So my Admin status must have spared me previously. I will get with the rest of the staff so we can determine how to move forward. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Budsters Mom
10-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Marianne,

Are you saying that I have a "dummy identity" because I could be offended by that! LOL ;):D

Squirt's Mom
10-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Weird....I have never gotten that message with any action other than 'search'. I can rapidly go from thread to thread, from new posts and back with no delay. The only delay I experience is with the 'search' feature.

I wonder if part of this has to do with phones or pads VS computer?

labblab
10-20-2014, 07:37 AM
I don't think it's the device because I had no restrictions logged on to my iPad as an Admin, but experienced all of Kathy's same restrictions from my iPad using my dummy member registration (and no, Kathy, you are not a dummy! :p). Perhaps it is just the member status that somehow makes a difference, and as a Mod you are not restricted as severely as others are -- kind of in the middle, somehow?

ETA: Yup, just had the same restrictions imposed when logged in from my PC desktop...

labblab
10-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Okey-dokey, the time restriction on searches has now been eliminated! :)

If we should end up experiencing processing delays as a result, we will revisit the issue. But for now, we hope this will be a welcome change for everybody. ;)

Budsters Mom
10-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Great, I'll check it out! Thank you!:p

Budsters Mom
10-21-2014, 11:08 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!:p:p:p