PDA

View Full Version : Jenny the experiment -- McGill's contribution

Carol G
06-06-2009, 02:08 PM
When we were on the K9Diabetes forum, Jenny started a thread regarding how taking SAMe had lowered her liver function numbers.

Leslie relayed that SAMe has made a difference in the mobility of her dogs with arthritis/orthopedic problems.

After checking with McGill's IM vet, I started him on a human SAMe supplement of 400mg SAMe Tosylate Disulfate (yielding 200 mg S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine) given once daily.

It has been a little over 6 weeks and I have seen that it has made a definite difference. He seems to have a little more pep and he doesn't struggle to get up after lying down for any length of time (while he doesn't spring right up, before there were times when I thought he wasn't going to get his back end up off his bed). At times, he also seems a little more interested in taking short walks.

I have about 20 more days of the SAMe left and I wonder if anyone has recommendations regarding what is the best version/form to give him. I know there are a couple of products designed specifically for dogs and there are a number of brands/formulas for humans.

As long as I'm giving it to him, I would like to give the best there is. From what I've seen, none of it is particularly cheap so I'm not opposed to spending a little more -- based on what I spend on doggie drugs/supplements, it would be a drop in the bucket anyway.

Carol, McGill, Atty Cat & Winnie (always)

BestBuddy
06-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Hi Carol,

The sam e seems to be expensive regardless of whether marketed for human or animal but I am convinced it is doing something for me. The one I take has

(s)-s-adenosylmethionine disulfate tosylate 400mg
(Equiv. (s)-s-adenosylmethionine (SAM-e) 208mg
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6) 10mg
Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) 50mcg
Folic Acid

The packet info says it helps with mood, liver and arthritis so even if I am only getting the benefit of one of those claims, I am better off.

Jenny