PDA

View Full Version : My Little Boo

Ltlbudi
03-10-2014, 11:48 AM
So - Ryley (A 13 year old Jack Russell) and I have to go for Cushings testing next Tuesday. At first I thought the vet was maybe mistaken, but I have been reading up and if there is a place for a picture in the dictionary description of Canine Cushings, my Ryley (Boo) would be there. In the past month, we have progressed from possible UTI which was treated to Cushings. He has gone from drinking excessively and weeing in the house only in the morning to weeing in the house all the time, a lot of heaving panting and spends most of his time plopped down right where he was standing. He acts like he has an ear infection but his ears are fine. Little Man is ripping my heart out and we are spending a lot of time snuggling and cuddling. His sister beagle is enjoying her newfound ability to push him around, which, of course, she gets in trouble for =). He is currently eating Iams Fish and Sweet Potato, which he gulps down. His deterioration has been quick and he just seems miserable. Any suggestions on how I can improve his life a little?

Squirt's Mom
03-10-2014, 11:55 AM
MODERATOR NOTE: Your post has been manually approved so that members can start responding to you. Please check your email, possibly your spam / junk folder, for a message from k9cushings. You will need to reply to that email so that your post go directly to the board and are not delayed waiting for approval. If you have already received and responded to the confirmatory email, please be patient. Your registration will be finalized shortly. Thanks and welcome! :)

labblab
03-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Just wanted to let you know that your registration also has been manually approved now, so you don't need to worry about the email confirmation and your replies will now be publicly visible as soon as you post them. :)

Marianne

goldengirl88
03-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Hello:
Welcome to the forum. I too have a Jack Russell with Cushing's. Do you know what tests your vet will be doing. I would want a blood panel done. Has he been checked for diabetes? Thyroid disease?. The drinking loads of water is a symptom of Cushing's along with the panting. Cushing's is a hard disease to diagnose, so once you get the test results we will want you to post any abnormal values along with the scale given by the lab on normal values as all labs are different. We need to see the numbers to know what is going on and help you. Cushing's is a slow progressing disease, so when you say this all came on your dog quickly, that part does not fit in. Please tell us of any illnesses your dog had or has, how much he weighs, and any other pertinent information that will help us to help you. This disease can be managed successfully with medication, and a vigilant owner. How old is your dog? We all feel overwhelmed when we first find this forum. We are here to help you and support you through this journey. Just know you are not alone in this. Blessings
Patti

Harley PoMMom
03-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Hi and welcome to you and Ryley!

So glad you found us but sorry for the reasons that brought you here.

Cushing's is a slow progressing disease in which symptoms develop over a period of time, some dogs that have Cushing's go years before a diagnosis of Cushing's is confirmed. Since Ryley's symptoms seem to of happened within a short period of time I am suspicious that Cushing's is the culprit.

Is Ryley taking any other herbs/supplements/medications? Has diabetes or any thyroid problem been ruled out? Was a senior wellness blood panel done, which includes a chemistry and a CBC panel, if so could you post those levels that are abnormal (high or low) with the units of measurement and reference ranges...i.e ALT 150 U/L (5-50)...Thanks!!

Please know we are here for you both and we will help in any way we can.

Hugs, Lori