PDA

View Full Version : My Australian Terrier Lady (Diabetes & Cushing's) update: Lady is finally at rest

Dollydog
05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
WE'RE BACK.... it's taken me a week to figure out how to handle this....
Firstly, I want to thank all the people who have made it possible for me to continue to tell Lady's story...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
Secondly, I decided to post some of my last update on Lady and then continue from there.

On February 1, 2009 I posted:
"It's been quite a month for us...it was so good to be back with our Nevada vet team! and they love to see their "miracle dog". Lady's STIM results were pre 1.3, post 2.8 and that's on 15mg trilo twice daily. Her bgs were just as high as ever so we're on NPH now and that transition has been going well....not sure what her readings are right now but they're no worse than they were on Vetsulin(Caninsulin) and probably better. The injections go so much smoother with the shorter syringes (I have very small hands and short fingers) and the smaller amount of insulin in them. Even if she has to have 16 units of NPH in a syringe it will still be easier to inject than 16+ iu's of Vetuslin. I'll have to take some more readings ... maybe tomorrow.
Lady's fructosamine on Jan. 5/09 was 510 and after 2 weeks of NPH it was 267 (ref. range 200 (or 250)-375. A spot check on her bg was high at noon that day but the fructosamine was so good.
Her kidney function is great and no major problems with her liver function. Her Free T4 (ng/dl) was 1.4 (ref. 0.7-2.5): 18 (pmol/L) ref.(.0-32.2). Her T4 was 1.7( 1.0-4.7ug/dl). Her weight has been hovering around 15lbs all month which is alright but not good enough for me!

I can't remember if I posted that we celebrated our 3rd anniversary with Cushings in December/08. But our big anniversary was January 15-16/09....we have been treating diabetes for 2 YEARS. I've given every shot except for one since Jan. 16/07. My mom (who passed away 25 years ago) would be absolutely amazed that I could give one injection...never mind 2 years of twice daily injections. I still can't watch an injection on TV.
I'm sure I've forgotten something in this update so will come back later. Lady continutes to astound us....she certainly brings out the best in me...I just can't let her down and I know how many of you understand that sentiment."

This was an excerpt from page 37 of our thread and Scott and Beth posted replies after that.
We arrived home from our trip on April 8th and had the computer hooked up to our new service on the 10th (Good Friday). I was so excited to post an update with all the news of our 11,496 mile (18,500 km) odyssey but found out that CanineCushings.net was gone.
So I will stop now and post an update later today or tomorrow.
Jo-Ann & Lady :)

Squirt's Mom
05-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi Jo-Ann!

I am so happy to hear about my little doll, Lady, and look forward to more when you can. She is such a sweet thing....I know, I know, but I think she is regardless, she has to be with such a precious face!

It is amazing what we can bring ourselves to do for our babies, isn't it? Studying poop as if an exam followed, squatting and sniffing pee, inspecting vomit, washing nasty skin, changing bloody bandages, and giving repeated injections even tho the sight of a needle in our own docs hands causes us to faint. Ahhhh, the wonders of the power of love!

Hugs to you my sweet friend and belly rubs to sweet Lady,
Leslie and the girls

gpgscott
05-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Dear Jo-Ann,

We also have been on a journey, I am glad yours is complete and you are back home.

It sounds like it is all going very well.

Please post in your gallery, you will find it a bit different than before but it works well.

Scott

Dollydog
05-29-2009, 03:46 PM
What and where is my gallery?

gpgscott
05-29-2009, 03:54 PM
What and where is my gallery?

Sorry, It is called an album here and you find it in your personal profile. The former site used an add on but I think we are going to like this one just fine. Play with it and see what you think, you view others albums from the community button from across the top of the page.

Scott

Dollydog
05-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Thank you very much!
Jo-Ann

labblab
05-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Oh Jo-Ann, it's so great to see you back here again with Lady's thread!!! :) :) :)

Every day, it's starting to look more like home...:o ;)

Marianne

forscooter
05-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Yes, I agree!! I know you have been here (thankfully!!!) but it is even betterer to have Lady's story right here where it belongs!!!!

Love ya!!! Beth, Bailey and always Doobie

Dollydog
05-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Hi Leslie, Scott, Marianne and Beth,
It's so great to be here with all of you again. Our "home" has gone through a big renovation and it will take us some time to become familiar with the changes. I miss not being able to go back in someone's thread to remind myself of some things. I'll just have to PM people with my questions.
Will be back later....duty calls!!

Dollydog
06-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Update on Lady --- April 8-June 21/09

I see in my last update that I didn't mention Lady's "shudders" which her Nevada vet considers to be "something neurological going on". I think he actually saw one during our last visit in January. They last about a second and have increased in frequency over the months. They can happen more often if she's tired and don't seem to bother her at all on a walk. She has the teeniest window of sight and if anything comes at her face she will jerk back and have a shudder...it's her head that moves but it affects her body too. She has never fallen over with these but she can appear to lose her balance some.
She sleeps a lot and has been bothered by a spot on her front leg that is taking a long time to heal up. (It is a recurrence of the skin infection that has plagued her since April/03.) I think she is frustrated by her lack of sight as she can get very excited about the usual things but then she bumps into something and that's the end of what she wanted to do. We can see the confusion that she feels then.

But her bark is the most beautiful sound in the world to me right now as that is when I know that she's feeling oh-so-normal!

I thought that she had gone too low with her blood sugars on April 11/09 but I'm wondering now if she just had an upset stomach!! She didn't want any food at all till noon. She slept all morning, drank water a couple of times and went outside to pee. We thought she was telling us that this was the end!! But a baby carrot was all she needed, had a small meal with 2/3 of her insulin, and life was back to normal again.
She definitely had an upset stomach last Tuesday. Once again she didn't want any food in the morning and when I rubbed corn syryp on her mouth she licked it and then vomited. A taste of yogurt did the same, even water came up when she had a drink. In her first vomit there was a piece of lettuce from the night before...lettuce is Lady's favorite treat. She finally kept most of her water down at 2pm and by 4:55pm she was up and hungry and ready to eat a normal meal. :eek::D
In her almost 13 years of life Lady has refused food just these 2 times so it was quite a shock for us. I'm wondering if she's getting too much food and am looking for comments on this subject. It may be that I have to cut back slightly and not panic if she doesn't want her breakfast.
Guess I should post more often and make them smaller ;) :D :p

Dollydog
06-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Just had contact with Leslie and have realized that the fat and fiber content in Lady's diet have been changed slightly in the last 2 1/2 months. Fat content up and fiber content reduced due to us running out of RC Calorie Control High Fiber dry food. It's not available in our area. I also gave her just the Science Diet Mature Small Bites for the week prior to her refusing food on April 11th.
Will have to check with our vet for a replacement....it's not a big part of her diet but may have had an impact, especially with all the medication she takes. :(

Squirt's Mom
06-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi Jo-Ann,

You tell our sweet Lady we can't be having this sort of stuff any more! We expect her to look like an angel, act like a devil, and not cause this worry! :p

Lady has PDH so as you know that tumor can begin to cause problems anytime, however at her age I would be more inclined (and hopeful!) that the tremors/shudders aren't related to the pit tumor but age. It is also possible, that in one of her bumps, she has injured her neck or spine and that is behind the shudders. As this would be one of the more benign causes, I think I would have that looked into first if it gets worse.

The problem healing is one that is associated with diabetes, as you know much better than I! ;) I know just enough to get myself in trouble. :p Has her BG been running low frequently? As a hypoglycemic, I can tell you that can make you feel awful! I get the shakes, have no appetite, am nauseated and have to force myself to eat, and it's not uncommon for it to be difficult to keep the food down. If I can't get it under control, confusion sets in. Small, frequent feedings help me when I have troubles but I don't know if that would be appropriate for a diabetic pup. I know ya'll do curves - how have hers been? Natalie will have much more pertinent input with the BG and feeding for her than I.

If the sugar isn't the culprit for her upset tummy, then she needs to be checked out for other causes - like a pancreatic upset, infection, kidney or liver problems, or even simple excess acid in the tummy. How long has it been since she had a wellness check?

The immediate thought I had was that the cortisol was perhaps too low. Has that been checked since Feb? Can she have pred with diabetes? if so, did you try that?

Since she did eat and keep it down, acute pancreatitis is unlikely I would think. Squirt could keep nothing in, had no real interest in food at all (and she is real piggy!), she couldn't get comfortable, and just looked super miserable. It is possible for the pancreas to get inflamed, cause some milder problems, then with continued irritation, go full blown. Irritation is caused by the release of the enzymes in response to food which the inflamed organ cannot properly utilize. As for what can cause the initial inflammation...in Squirt's case it was being handled during surgery but diet can cause it as well. I have some links on the topic I will post for you.

Moria has had some issues with eating and antibiotics seem to do her a world of good! An infection in the tummy could easily cause what you have seen.

Kidney and liver problems can cause nausea and vomiting, too, as well as lethargy. As they age, so do these organs and their functioning can become impaired even if the pup hasn't been on meds for several years. And, heaven knows, cush pups ask a lot of their filtering organs! :eek:;)

Those are my thoughts for now. My fervent hope is that this is something easily treated and she will be back to her old self in no time. How has she been since Tues?

Big hugs to you and belly rubs to Lady,
Leslie and the girls

Squirt's Mom
06-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Jo-Ann, you may have hit the nail on the head! :D An increase in fats could cause the problems you are seeing as that could inflame the pancreas. Lower fiber would impact not only the digestive system but possibly the BG as well. Plus, our old systems just don't take change well at times. :p

I just realized I didn't give you those links so here ya go -

Mar Vista*
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_pancreatitis.html

Texas A&M – Gastrointestinal Laboratories
http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/research/Pancreatitis.shtml

University of Georgia
http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/west/index.php

Veterinary Partner
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2214&S=1&SourceID=42

World Small Animal Veterinary Association
http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2007&PID=18128&O=Generic

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2008&PID=23846&O=Generic

IDEXX Laboratories
http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/laboratory/speccpl/diagnosticupdate2.jsp

Judith Stock (article appeared in Tufts University Your Dog)
http://www.judithstock.com/Speaking_of_Animals/Pancreatitis_in_Dogs/pancreatitis_in_dogs.html

VetCentric
https://www.vetcentric.com/reference/encycEntry.cfm?ENTRY=23&COLLECTION=EncycIllness&MODE=full

Swift Water Farms
http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p21Pancreatitis.htm

Hang in there, sweetie!
Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

MiniSchnauzerMom
06-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi Jo-Ann,

Was just reading your update on Lady.

Guess I should post more often and make them smaller Post whenever you're able.....small posts not required! I'm not qualified to give you any diagnostics about what's going on with Lady's shudders or the periodic refuasl of food. However, I'd sure recommend getting her checked out by her vet.

In her almost 13 years of life Lady has refused food just these 2 times so it was quite a shock for us. I'm wondering if she's getting too much food and am looking for comments on this subject. It may be that I have to cut back slightly and not panic if she doesn't want her breakfast.

Regarding getting too much food, have you increased her amount of food? Seems like if that was the issue - too much food - that the refusal to eat would be happening more often. Just thinking outloud. Since you'll be discussing the food with your vet you may want to ask him about the small meals. As Leslie said, I'm sure Natalie would be more qualified to answer questions regarding food/feeding which would have an impact on her bg. IMO, whatever is going on is not the norm for her and again I'd recommend having her checked out.

Hope Lady is barking and feeling better right now. Munchie sends her some slurps!!!

Louise & Munchie

Dollydog
06-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks Leslie and Louise.....your input is invaluable. I've gone through all the links and some things are "clicking". In one article they mention some of the strange contradictary symptoms we see here once in awhile. There's no pattern to these symptoms but they suggest something is going wrong with her pancreatic function.

I haven't intentionally increased her amount of food....but it seems to happen every once in awhile that I find myself giving her a little more food.
She had a wellness check in January in Nevada. With all her medications she could have excess tummy acid and that was something that was mentioned in January as a possibility down the road.
She hit her head in the spring of 2006 and had a suspected mild concussion. Her first shudder appeared 18 months ago and then didn't appear again for months. She's had a lot of little bumps in the last 4-5 months.
Lady had been on a liquid human form of Clavamox for 24 days prior to last Tuesday's episode. The bottle was almost done so I didn't give her any more. She hadn't had any anitibiotics since February due to a language barrier here and my complete trust in pharmacists!! (Lesson learned....ALWAYS read labels, no matter what they tell you.)

She's been fine since Tuesday but has been a little uncomfortable this afternoon and evening. She ate supper as if I'd forgotten to give her any lunch. One of the articles on pancreatitic insufficiency mentions ravenous appetite as all the nutrients from the food are not being digested but expelled from the body and the dog is "starving to death".
I have some PepcidAC here so might try that and see what happens. Will let you know. Thanks again for your suggestions,

gpgscott
06-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi Jo-Ann,

Moria is becoming a big problem with diet also. Her issue is every few months she just refuses to eat.

In our case we think it is a chronic infection that comes and goes as administration of antibiotics restores her desire to eat.

As they get on it seems diet becomes a bigger issue than when they are young and in good health. I hope you are finding some clues in the others postings.

Best to you and Lady. Scott

ladysmom06
06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi Jo-Ann,

How is Lady doing today? Sorry she's having some problems - hoping you get it all firgured out.

How have her bg's been and when was her last ACTH test? I'm wondering if maybe her cortisol is too low. Have you increased her insulin since she's getting more food? Sorry for all the questions.

She sleeps a lot and has been bothered by a spot on her front leg that is taking a long time to heal up. (It is a recurrence of the skin infection that has plagued her since April/03.)

Is the spot infected? My Lady had a sore on her front paw forever. She would be on antibiotics - it would heal and then a few weeks later she would start licking it again and we would be right back where we started with it. We really had to keep up with it.

Sorry I'm not much help. Give sweet Lady a big hug from me.

Dollydog
06-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi again,
Have organized my thoughts and ready to post now :p
I gave Lady some PepcidAC on Sunday night before bed and then again just before lunch today. That seems to be helping with her comfort level.
I've cut down on her lettuce treats and am just giving her some diluted chicken broth, warmed up to room temperature. I've increased her Canidae Senior portion of her dry food and that will lower the fat and raise the fiber content until I can get some MediCal fiber rich dry food from our vet.
She's used to getting her pain meds in beef pill pockets so have been giving them in mostly chicken pill pockets with a little taste of the beef ones. Beef has always been harder on her stomach than chicken.

Cortisol too low??? One week after we started a new bottle of trilo pills she had symptoms that maybe her cortisol was too HIGH. But those symptoms also can show up with discomfort associated with an irritated or inflamed pancreas.
I've felt for a few months that she processes too much food but doesn't get anything from it. That could be because of a pancreas that's not working properly. Brain function can also be affected so is that behind those shudders?? Dehydration factors into this equation and I've thought she seems rather "dry" lately. Even a little heat is too much for her to handle so the extra water that I'm encouraging her to drink should help.

Must run as our travellers are home...will be back to finish this later.

forscooter
06-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Jo-Ann,

I did some brief reading bc I wasn't sure if dogs get this like diabetic people can. If Lady seems to be having with stomach issues, one of the things you want to consider possibly is gastroparesis, or neuropathy of the stomach.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Gastroparesis

This talks mostly about the rise you would see in BG levels but in people, they also screen and consider it a possibility if you have any issues related to it and do not rely on the rise of BG as an indicator. My thought is too that it may affect her drinking as well if she feels full for long periods of time....who wants a big drink of water on top of a very full feeling belly?

I would discuss any of these things with your vet as Lady has more than one variable to consider. In my opinion, you can drive yourself nuts looking at this or that bc you can probably find a few symptoms under just about anything that would match what you're seeing...especially with both the Cushing's issue and the diabetes.

If it could be possibly something like the gastroparesis, and if you can swing it with her injections, I would try smaller meals throughout the day. It may explain why she is starving one meal and not the other...

Bailey's tics are not going away either...he hasn't jumped right out of his skin since I took the video camera out...I swear he knows....but lots of little tremors lots of the time....

Love and hugs to you both!!! Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie

Dollydog
06-23-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm back again...late supper and news from the wedding that I missed!!
We've had to pick Lady up to take her outside for the last 3 months. She can come back up the stairs by herself. I'm careful to put my hand under her chest but it has to have some effect on her stomach.
She gets an anitbiotic periodically but missed it at the beginning of May because I didn't know to keep it in the fridge! So I gave it to her again.
Lady's last ACTH was in January and the numbers were good. I haven't done a curve on her for ages, I just do spot checks, so that's something that should get done in the next few days.
I did some reading on pancreatic enzymes and will look for some here tomorrow to see if that might be of some help to her.

Beth,
Thanks for the article....Lady's food isn't going through her system too slowly...it seems to go through too fast....no diarrhea, it's all very nicely formed :rolleyes: But I'll keep it in mind while I formulate thoughts for the vet.

Lynne, I know I answered your questions on the phone, so will just give a short answer here....today was her first day without her little homemade "bandage" and she's not bothering her sore spot on her leg! I know it will be back sometime but there was a 2 year break between out-breaks of this spot on this leg. :D

I really appreciate all the thoughts, links and good wishes....many heads are better than one!!
Thanks again,

MiniSchnauzerMom
06-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Jo-Ann,

Was just wondering how Lady is doing?

Louise

Dollydog
06-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Louise,
Have been going to update today but didn't get to it!!
The watered chicken broth treat, instead of lettuce, has made a difference. Her coat looks better and she's not as dry as before...not as much panting. She's more comfortable so the periodic PepcidAC and the other few things I've changed are working. Her bowel movements are less frequent but larger volume....still beautifully formed!! ;) :p

I bought some digestive enzymes and have been giving her some before each meal. It's only been 2 days with that so don't expect to notice anything and I'm not sure what I would see anyway.

The little bandage had to go back on as the spot was flaking again and she was starting to bother it. If that infection/irritation gets on her nose it's very hard to get rid of and that's not happened for over 2 years!!
I've been wondering if Lady should have an antibiotic every day but will have to discuss that with the vet. We're going to need more trilo before the end of July so will get to the vet then.
Have a good weekend everyone,

Dollydog
06-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Forgot to mention that her appetite is very normal :D

MiniSchnauzerMom
06-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Jo-Ann,

Thanks for your update. :) I'm glad to hear Lady is doing better.

Louise

gpgscott
06-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey Jo-Ann,

Yes, very nice to hear the news is good. Concerning chronic administration of anti-biotics, it is sometimes necessary. I am glad you are going to ask your Dr. about it.

Let us know.

Scott

Dollydog
07-02-2009, 06:53 AM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D
Gooooood Mooorrrrnnnniiiiinnnnggg!!!

In Marathon it is July 2, 2009 and it is 6:50am. I am thrilled to announce that GRAASANDS AUSSIELADY is officially 13 YEARS OLD today!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY AWESOME BUDDY!!!

In honor of this big day Lady will receive a baby carrot as her treat.
Have a great day!!

Jo-Ann & Lady :) :)

PS Wish I could have printed this in big letters but that doesn't seem to work on this computer!! Now I must find someone to change the number in our thread. ;)

jrepac
07-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Happy Birthday Lady!:)

My Aussie loves baby carrots too! She devours them!

Jeff

ladysmom06
07-02-2009, 09:08 AM
HAPPY 13TH BIRTHDAY LADY!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your day and your carrot treat. Hugs to you sweet Lady.

Squirt's Mom
07-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Happy 13th Birthday, Lady!!

A Carrot!!!

Yum yum yum!

psssst...Squirt says you should have held out for a fried egg! :p

MiniSchnauzerMom
07-02-2009, 12:36 PM
:):D:pWishing you a Very Happy 13th Birthday, Lady!!! :p:D:)

Enjoy your delicious birthday carrot (which actually tastes like a really yummy dog treat). :D Sending many birthday scritchies from me and birthday slups from Munchie.

Louise

nikkismom
07-02-2009, 04:17 PM
A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, dear Lady!13 is quite an accomplishment!:D

Dollydog
09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
I have something to share with you all tonight....

The mighty heart is silent and still....the tired little body is finally at rest.

Lady passed away at 4:23pm EST yesterday, Sept. 9/09.

Yesterday, she refused to take her morning pain pill, no matter what I tried to put it in. The pain pill the night before had been very difficult to give. She rested quietly while I made the necessary plans and we prepared for the 3+ hour ride to the clinic and the overnight stay. The day was sunny and warm and we arrived just in time for our appointment. It all went very quickly and the staff was very kind and compassionate, especially the young lady who organized everything. We took her body back to the motel with us, the same motel that we had spent our very first night with her. Then we dropped her off at the clinic this morning and her ashes will come back to us in one or two weeks.

Breathing had become difficult for her the last few months. She had been sneezing a lot and the reverse (?) sneezing had started some time ago, and had become worse. Eating was hard for her the last while. Her sight was almost gone and she was having trouble hearing and identifying where a sound was coming from. Her sense of smell was so much weaker than before. Life was a chore for her for most of the day and she slept a lot.

Our travelling vet is coming on Sept. 17th but I couldn't gamble that she would have been comfortable enough to wait that long. The 3+ hour ride was difficult enough for us yesterday but she was comfortable.

I know that many of you understand the heartache and loneliness that is mine right now....I also know that some of you understand the relief that I'm feeling too.
No alarm clock for me in the morning....

The one image of Lady that has been with me since last night is of that little body flying towards me, feet hardly touching the ground, ears back, big smile on her face...exactly what I'll see when I cross over the bridge to meet up with her again...

Jo-Ann & Lady (July 2/96-Sept. 9/09)

SaxLady
09-10-2009, 09:15 PM
My heart is breaking for you [I] feel so bad that [I] am crying so much that [I] can't see to type. I feel your sorrow, as I lost my little Katrina on August 19th.
Much comfort and love,
Candy

frijole
09-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Oh dear JoAnn I am so shocked to hear the sad news. It sounds like Lady was ready to become our newest Angel. You have been a tremendous mom and she was a very lucky girl. I am glad you have that wonderful memory of a smiling running girl - those are the moments that count the most. Bless you. Kim

Squirt's Mom
09-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Oh Jo-Ann,

I am so so sorry. Words fail me right now but I want you to know you are in my heart, my thoughts, my prayers. Our beautiful, sweet Lady, fly free, precious one.

Hugs, love and our deepest sympathies,
Leslie, Squirt, Ruby, Goldie, and Crystal

jrepac
09-10-2009, 09:55 PM
so very sorry to hear about Lady....she was a gorgeous Aussie....

Jeff

Roxee's Dad
09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Dear Jo-Ann,
I am so very sorry for your loss. Lady knows how much she was loved and will be watching over you.

Harley PoMMom
09-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Dearest Jo-Ann,

Oh Jo-Ann, the tears are streaming my face as I type this...I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Lady.

I know you dearly loved her and she definitely felt the same way about you too. Altho right now the pain is deep, I hope remembering the good times you had together will help comfort you in some way.

I believe John posted this to someone: You have done the most loving gesture of all for Lady...you have taken her pain and made it yours.

Peace sweet Lady.

With Heartfelt Sympathy,
Lori

ChristyA
09-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Jo-Ann,
I love the image you have of lady;

The one image of Lady that has been with me since last night is of that little body flying towards me, feet hardly touching the ground, ears back, big smile on her face...exactly what I'll see when I cross over the bridge to meet up with her again...

And yes, I do understand the heartache and loneliness.

God Bless,
Christy

gpgscott
09-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Jo-Ann

They know,

And she knew she could trust you when it was time.

I will be looking for her also.

Scott

corgipallie
09-10-2009, 10:55 PM
My heart goes out to you with lots of angel hugs.

Steph, Apollo and forever Pallie

fivebichons
09-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Dear Jo-Ann,

Sweet Little Lady may not have looked tired coming at you at warp speed for that attack kiss or hug, but we know they are still tired. The heart of a tiger even withers.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I saw your post on my Facebook page and the tears started to flow. I came here and went right to the "those we've lost" page, but it was obviously too soon (not thinking). I am glad I found your precious page. I was born in Ontario. I have to find you without a GPS!!

You know you were the best family that Lady could have ever asked for. She knows it. She knew it from the first moment and her last. God also gave you the grace of knowing when the time was right. That really is so difficult. The emotions are overwhelming. I know you are numb at the moment. But, you do know you did the right thing for Lady. I hope you know that she is looking down at you and hopes that you are doing okay.

Remember...she is in Dog Heaven. My bunch is probably giving her a hard time about that ham sandwich biscuit. Just know that she does have her very own cloud to go round and round on to go nite nite on. She just isn't alone. She has many pals taking care of her that love her!

Lots of hugs,
Heidi, Marco & Sophie
...and Friskie, Lucky, Cheri and Snicky from Heaven...

k9diabetes
09-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Jo-Ann,

I'm so very sorry to hear this news... I did not realize what a struggle life had become for Lady recently and as difficult as I know the decision is to make there are times like this when it is so clearly the right one. Bless you for relieving Lady from a body that just wouldn't take care of her any more and for giving her a beloved and wonderful life.

Godspeed to your terrier girl,

Natalie

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Jo-Ann,

I am so sorry that your precious Lady has passed. Was so saddened when I read your post. Yes, Jo-Ann, I do understand the heartache and loneliness that you have right now and I also understand the relief you are feeling too. You are in my thoughts tonight.

Peace be with you, sweet Lady.

With deepest sympathy,
Louise

Barney's Mom
09-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Jo-ann, it just breaks my heart to hear that Lady passed. I can only imagine the heartache you must be feeling now. I hope you have some comfort in the fact that she is at peace now. You'll be seeing her again soon.

Cheryl

Carol G
09-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Jo Ann,

I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Carol

H-man
09-11-2009, 04:47 AM
Darling, beautiful angel Lady. What a fighter in typical aussie style. She is Free Jo Ann. Free and without pain -she's whole again and its a beautiful blissfull place she's in now. Hold on to that my friend. xxxx
Wendy, Harry, Izzy and my angel Patsy

John II
09-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Dear Jo Ann,

I am so sorry for your loss.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
My deepest sympathy,

John.

forscooter
09-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Jo-Ann,

I emailed you back but the circle wouldn't be complete without coming here...to this place that joined us....where you and Lady first came into my life.

I am without words still. I still have the no, no, no running through my head....I know we talked about this day. And you know I do understand the pain and the relief and all the mixture of feelings and emotions running through your head and heart....

You made the right decision at the right time....and you unselfishly gave Lady everything you could, from beginning through to that final decision. No more shots, no more pills, no more pain...just running and flying and peaceful.

I am always here for you...and I will always remember our angel with many smiles and much gratitude that she brought us together.

Sending many many hugs across the miles....and wishing you peace, my friend....Godspeed, Lady....

Love ya, Jo-Ann! Beth

BestBuddy
09-11-2009, 06:34 AM
JoAnn,

I don't have the words to say what I feel. Because Lady had diabetes as well as cushings I always felt a strong bond. I am just so darn sad.:(

Jenny

PS I am sure Buddy has already welcomed Lady and will show her the ropes.

ladysmom06
09-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Dear Jo-Ann,

My heart is breaking for you. I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet precious Lady. I know there is nothing I can say to ease the pain and deep sense of loss your are feeling. You were a great mom to Lady and she knew how much you loved her. Will call you later today. Love and hugs being sent to you.

bgdavis
09-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Jo-Ann,

I'm so sorry your journey with Lady through diabetes and Cushings' has come to an end. I'm sure she and my Criss are sitting at the bridge comparing notes.

Bonnie and Angel Criss

Dollydog
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I just had a thought awhile ago....I felt so sorry for Lady being on her own right now while I still had all our online buddies for company. She didn't have any canine friends (she was dog aggressive) and a lot of that was my fault...but then I remembered her buddy, Ben. They met when she was a pup and he was 5 years old. We'd go for walks together with Ben and his mom, Sonya before they moved away when Lady was 2 or 3. Ben was a rough coated Collie who knew just how to handle Lady and Sonya was so much support when we first started our journey together 13 years ago. Ben passed away quite awhile ago and Sonya followed him last summer.
So they were there to greet her and help her get adjusted to her new life without me. They would help her to meet up with all our online buddies who've crossed the bridge already.
What a lovely image to have this morning as I get used to this very empty house....

Squirt's Mom
09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Dear Jo-Ann,

I am so glad you found comfort in remembering Ben and Sonya, and in knowing they were there to meet Lady. They were not alone, standing at The Bridge, watching her beautiful soul approach. There was one other angel, I know for sure, who knelt with open arms to cover Lady's face with kisses. One who has seen you both through my heart. Lady hasn't spent one second alone but rather with those who love you both.

When our time comes, I do believe we will be surprised at what a large, extended circle of friends are there to meet us, with our loved ones leading the way. Until that time, we hold the memories close, cry when needed, laugh when we can, and know they are finally safe, whole and free.

Many hugs,
Leslie

Valhalla

You were with me to the very end and even after I had "gone" you held me, and as my soul left my body and I looked down and saw you crying, I wanted so much to tell you that I understood.

You did this for me.

I tried to tell you in my own way that it was time for me to leave, and I thank you for understanding.

No other will take my place, but those I left behind will need your love and affection as I have had.

You still think of me, and there are times you try to hide your tear-filled eyes....but please...be happy and think not of sadness, but of how I made you happy and made you laugh at the funny and smart things I did.

There are no fences in Valhalla, for no one has the desire to "dig out".

There are no thunderstorms in Valhalla, therefore fear is never present.

There are no fights in Valhalla. Everyone is congenial. There is no hunger. There is no thirst.

There is much to explore. Many of us who are older take care of the little ones and guide them. It's fun watching them run with their ears flopping and their curly tails wagging.

We have four seasons in Valhalla, and, most of us agree, winter is our favorite.

So you see, my loved one, I am very happy...

When it comes time for my friends to leave, I will meet them at the gates of Valhalla, and I will acquaint them with this beautiful and serene place, and I will take care of them for you.

Thank you for loving me, caring for me, and having the courage to let me go with dignity.

Jane S. Morris

jrepac
09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I feel your pain...having an Aussie in the house is like having a shadow follow you 24/7, I have learned over the years. Every time I literally trip over Mandy, who is constantly underfoot, I remind myself that if she wasn't there, it would be a lot less fun. She's been truly nutty these last few days, running around the house, sliding on the wood floors (cause I just waxed 'em and she can't easily stop) and flinging her toys around....
God bless her 12yr old spirit....

Perhaps in time, you will be wanting another Aussie companion....each one comes w/a unique personality...I'm so used to having one around, I'm not sure I could be without one for very long...they are just tons of fun and truly lovable dogs.

Jeff

nikkismom
09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Jo Ann, I certainly know how you feel. Nikki died Tuesday and with all the sadness there is some relief. I read something that made me feel so much better. We keep them when they are suffering so we won't have to suffer. When we let them go, we chose to suffer so they won't have to. I know I could not have loved Nikki any more than I did. And I know you feel the same about Lady. I am deeply sorry for your loss, but each day gets a little easier. Sharon

Harley PoMMom
09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Oh Jo-Ann,

I too, am glad that you found comfort in the remembrance of your dear friends, Ben and Sonya, and in knowing that they will be would be there for Lady.

I had two very special boys who crossed the bridge a long time ago, one was a black lab named Brandon and the other was a black/white lab/shepherd named Peppie, and I am so sure my sweet gentle boys were there to greet your very beautiful Lady.

It's been over 17 years since my Brandon and Peppie have passed, I still think about them, have their pictures on the wall and stands, and every now and then...not often, I shed some tears for them, and then I look down and give my other two boys, Harley and Bear, a gentle hug and wipe those tears away and go on. So I don't think the pain ever leaves, it just not there all the time tormenting you. And now, even over 17 years later, yes I still miss my boys but I remember the good times I had with them and what's really nice is that my sister and I can talk about something Peppie or Brandon did that was funny and we can laugh about it and no tears will flow.

"Time heals all wounds," is an old adage, and I believe this is true, but how much time is different for everyone...you take as much time as you need...we are here for you always...Jo-Ann...always.

Love and hugs.
Lori

Sabre's Mum
09-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Jo-Ann

I am so sorry to hear you journey with Lady has ended. May you treasure your memories of her. My thoughts are with you.

Angela, Sabre and Flynn

jrepac
09-11-2009, 04:35 PM
yes, Lori is right, you can always remember the good times with them....every time I saw Lady's photo here, my eyes would tear up...she is the spitting image of my last Aussie (ironically named Dolly) who I lost to Cushings 12 yrs ago....but, I like to remember all of the terrific things about her and put aside the not so good memories...I always said if the dogs aren't up there in heaven, then I don't want to go! Really, what fun would that be?

rhodesian46
09-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Jo-Ann,
I found out from Lynne that Lady has passed. I know that your heart is breaking!11 You are like I. We did everything humanly possible to help our dogs. And I know that you loved her immensely. I am so sorry.
Marianne

labblab
09-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Dear Jo-Ann,

I've been searching for the right words to say, but coming up empty. And I don't want to wait any longer to post. So I shall tell you what is most simply in my heart...I am so very sorry for your loss, but so grateful for the joy that you and Lady have given us through these years as members of our family here. It is so hard to believe that Lady has left us all. But what a wonderful life she led, and what wonderful memories she has left behind for us to share. The bond that you two have shared will never be broken, and we will always be here to join you in honoring it.

In loving memory of your precious Lady,
May her spirit remain forever alive in your heart ~
Marianne

gpgscott
09-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Jo-Ann,

Thanks so much for sharing the history of Lady's companions.

She is not alone, and I think none of us will be. And you are not alone, you have the memory of her life with you.

I suspect we will all be greeted by many who in our day to day travails we have forgotton, but will recognize at once.

God's blessings to Lady, her family, and us all.

Scott

maggiebeagle
09-12-2009, 05:36 PM
You will be in my thoughts. So sorry for your loss.
We will have some extra puppy hugs at our house this evening.
Virginia

lulusmom
09-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Jo-Ann, I am a woman that can usually talk the leg off of a table but when it comes to the loss of any precious baby, my chest tightens, the sorrow wells up and words simply fail me. Until I became part of this family, I had no idea that I could come to love so many pups and their humans, most of whom I've never laid eyes on. Every pup that passes is like a knife in my heart. The old wounds from past losses open anew and I cry a river of tears for me, for you, for all of us.

I will always remember your sweet Lady and I shall never forget the kindness you showed me when I first became a member at cc.net. I want you to know that even though I may not have posted much to your thread, I was always on the lookout for your updates. Sadly, this last update knocked me for a loop and I was totally heartbroken to read of Lady's passing. I admire you greatly for your strength in making the selfless decision to let her go and everything you did to make her happy in the last hours. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Godspeed sweet Lady.

Glynda

mytil
09-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Dearest Jo-Ann,

My healing thoughts and prayers are with you this day and everyday. I was very sad to read this and Lady's passing.

(((((hugs)))))
Terry

Dollydog
09-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Hello again,
It's time to post my thanks for all your kind and compassionate words....and my thanks for your prayers and thoughts. I'm just in awe that we touched so many lives, human and canine, through our membership here.

Jenny posted a link (can't remember whose thread it was in) to "The Last Will and Testament of Silverdene Emblem O'Neill" and there are a few lines that were of special importance to me in the last few weeks of Lady's life "....now that I have grown blind and deaf and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said good-bye.....". The whole essay has so much wisdom and comfort in it but those lines were the most special to me....they seemed to describe what she was experiencing.

Sharon and Candy....I've wondered who would be sharing this part of the journey with me and I want to stay close to you both. Stephanie has been such an inspiration to me as I watch her "get on" with life without Pallie in it. Photos of her recent trip with Apollo have reminded me of what I have to look forward to this winter.

My heartfelt thanks go to Kim, John, Christy, Scott, Heidi, Natalie, Louise, Cheryl, Carol, Wendy, John, Beth, Marianne and Terry for all your beautiful words, thoughts and prayers.

Glynda and Marianne....I know how you felt trying to find words....sometimes I can hardly type for the tears and heartbreak when a member's dog has passed away. Words aren't enough and we're all so far apart.

Leslie, you are so eloquent....the image of YOUR daughter being there to kneel down to cover her face with kisses has me speechless with tears. I love the Valhalla passage...."winter is our favorite season". I used to call Lady my "snow puppy" as she loved the first snowfall and would try to find the very last teeny tiny patch of snow and ice to pee on in the spring....it was hilarious! As long as one little paw was on the last patch she was happy.

Lori...I love the image of Brandon and Peppie being around to show Lady the ropes. Your posts to all of us here are so comforting and supportive....I wish I had your way with words. And Bonnie's image of Criss and Lady comparing notes on their ailments in the last few years of their lives is priceless.

Lynne...you know how much our phone calls mean to me...yours was the very first post I saw and read on the old Cushings site and that was the very moment when I knew that I wasn't alone in the world of canine Cushings and diabetes.

And Jeff....who knows what it is to love Aussie terriers and to be loved by one. Right now the only Aussie I want to have in my life is Lady and that's not possible. Maybe in the future another one will wander into my life....but I'm sure we'll have more conversations on that topic!!
I hope that I haven't left anyone out ...I can pm you if I have...please give all your pups a hug and kiss from me and enjoy running your hands over their warm coats...that's what I'm missing right now.

Jo-Ann & my Dollydog Angel :)

Casey's Mom
09-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Jo-Anne I read about little Lady on Friday and could not find the words to write, the tears were coming down. I know where you live and it must have been a dreadful drive to get to the vet.

Your little one is an angel in heaven and is waiting to see you again, in the meantime I know she will send you a sign that all is well and she is happy and at peace.

Spiceysmum
09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Jo-Ann,

So sorry to hear about Lady, you are in my thoughts.

Linda and Spicey

ventilate
09-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Jo-Ann
There are no words to express my sincere sympathy. I also have felt the pain of losing a dog that has been a large part of our lives. I helped my friend Krickette cross the bridge about 7 years ago and the pain is still there, it has dulled a lot but I dont know that the that part of your heart ever heals, I dont know that I would want it to. Please know that I am thinking about you and sending you hugs.
Sharon

Wylie's Mom
09-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Jo-Ann,

I'm sorry to hear about Lady... I've never lost a pup before (Wylie's my first), but we had to let my sister's ferret go in '94 and I was sad for a long time afterward. Time absolutely did help. The vision of Lady meeting up with old friends is a good one to have... I can see her making many new friends because I believe the dog aggression gets left behind, too.

(((Hugs)))
-Susy

sarahbera1
09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Jo-Ann
I'm so sorry to hear of Lady's passing. You are in my thoughts.
Sarah, Darla & Rascal

Smileyspeople
09-18-2009, 01:23 AM
We are sharing your sorrow and bittersweet sense of relief tonight. Our Sammy died three weeks ago so our hearts are very open to your loss of Lady.

We are so sorry for your loss, but know that Lady felt your love throughout her life. Its really all we have to give them, but then, its really all they ask for.
Walk in peace.

The Xamis pack...Smiley, Furby, Emmett...and Dorothy & Peter.
(And of course Samantha Francesca Coakley, street dog extraordinaire...who has already passed over.)

Dollydog
09-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Well my friends, she's back home again with me. We picked up her ashes in Thunder Bay today....such a little urn.
Thank you again for all your kind thoughts. I love the idea that her dog aggression is left behind and she can have fun with all the other dogs now.
Tomorrow I get to babysit a friend's dog at my house so should be a busy and fun day. Hubby's chipmunks will have to hide while Snickers is here! ;)
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog Angel :)

Smileyspeople
09-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Yes, you are right...having their ashes back is a comfort. I don't know quite why. Both of us still "talk" to the little box occasionally!

I gave the unused "short" needles to the Pet Emergency folks. They will pass them on to another diabetic dog's people. They were so grateful to do this...I forget that no matter how hard we think our situation is...some family is struggling to care for their critter with less money, less accessibility to reliable resources and (perhaps) more complications in their busy life.

Kisses to you Jo-Ann from all of us...and a request that you "keep a high thought" for those who have less ability to care for their Cushpups. (Or diabetics.)

Talk with you before October. Smiley spends the night at UCDavis for his dental just before then...and we are so happy that UCD is only an hour away. Onward and upward for us all.

clydetheboosmom
09-21-2009, 10:58 AM
JoAnn -

*sigh*

Hugging you.

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

Dollydog
10-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi everyone,
Please check out our albums....pictures of my precious little girl in her better days. Will try to get all 4 pictures in one album.
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel :)

acushdogsmom
10-16-2009, 02:43 AM
I'm sooo glad to see that you posted pictures of your Lady! What a beautiful little girl! :D :D :D

MiniSchnauzerMom
10-16-2009, 04:19 AM
Jo-Ann,

Thank you so much for posting the pictures of your Lady. She surely was a little sweetheart! I love the pic of her holding the Xmas stocking - too precious!!!

Louise

labblab
10-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Oh Jo-Ann, your pictures are wonderful! :) :o :) :o :)

Thank you so much for sharing them with us. And thank you so much for staying here with us!!!!!!! At your own time of grief and loss, you remain the incredibly caring and supportive friend whom we have always known and loved here, posting words of hope and comfort to all the others in need at a time when your own heart is breaking. Jo-Ann, I know that Lady is so proud of you. And we are so very grateful.

Thank you for everything. And many (((hugs))) in celebration of these wonderful images of your sweet Lady.
Marianne

nikkismom
10-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Love the pictures! Our memories will sustain us! They do live in our hearts.

ladysmom06
10-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Jo-Ann,

I love the pictures - thanks for sharing them. She was a beautiful little Lady. Hugs to you.

jrepac
10-16-2009, 11:24 AM
love the pix....:)
makes me want another blue & tan Aussie...

Jeff:rolleyes:

gpgscott
10-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Jo-Ann,

:)

Harley PoMMom
10-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Oh Jo-Ann,

I just loved the pictures of Lady...she was such a beautiful girl. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Love and hugs.
Lori

Dollydog
07-02-2010, 01:44 PM
My precious little girl.....you would have been 14 years old today....Happy Birthday.
Thank you for 13+ fascinating years....rest well sweetheart, Victoria is keeping me company while we're apart...
(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))
Mom

labblab
07-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Happy Birthday, sweet Lady -- I'll bet there's a wonderful puppy party going on today at the Bridge...

(((Hugs))) to all your family this day,
Marianne

Squirt's Mom
07-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Happy Birthday, sweet, sweet Lady. We miss you so much, especially your mom but we know you are safe, happy and well. If you like, Crys, Shasta and many others will play with you today and help make this a special day just for you.

Hugs, belly rubs and love,
Leslie and the girls - always

mypuppy
07-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh JoAnn,
Please extend a peaceful birthday prayer for your sweet Lady today. God Bless. Xo Jeamette

apollo6
07-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Let solace be taken, however, in knowing that we gave the best we had to our little friends, and that they knew, without an inkling of doubt, that they were deeply loved.
For, beyond all else, that is the greatest gift we give to them, and in turn, the greatest gift they give to us.
In honor of your sweet Lady, who is looking down on you with love.

Harley PoMMom
07-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Big hugs to you, JoAnn. And Happy Birthday to sweet Lady, who will always be remembered and loved dearly.

Love and hugs,
Lori

Roxee's Dad
07-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Happy Birthday Lady, I'm sure you and Roxee are celebrating your birthday together today and are partying all day today with your fill of toys and special treats.

(((Hugs)))