PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Our Pups

bkdice
05-22-2009, 08:39 AM
I just read the heartbreaking story of Kwiggles Joe. It just guts me to think of what Karen must be feeling.

My Niko is only 43lbs. He's 16 1/2 with cushings and lymphoma and he no longer sees or hears that well - plus he's a little 'creaky' in the joints. He still LOVES his long walks though (usually a mile plus in the evening).

Not long ago we were charged by an aggressive dog that got away from it's owner. Luckily my husband and I were able to block the dog from getting to Niko, but it was scary!!! :mad:

Now when we go on long walks (we usually both take him) I carry a large walking pole and my husband carries a tazer. I want to be prepared because you never know. (Good to make sure we protect ourselves as well) We live in a nice area with lots of nice people and nice dogs, but I never take for granted that danger can lurk at any corner and Niko is physically incapable of taking on a fight.

Wondering what others do to ensure their pups safety on walks. I had honestly never thought much about it until we were nearly attacked, but I though it would be a good time to pound it into other's minds and hopefully help avoid a future incident.

Bettina

Carol G
05-22-2009, 12:45 PM
After two dogs were attacked in my neighborhood by a larger dog running loose (not the same dog doing the attacking), I started carrying pepper spray. I keep the cannister attached to McGill's leash.

One of the dogs that was attacked had to be put to sleep and I don't know if the other is okay.

I live in smallish town that is suburban to a major city. So, it's not like I'm in a rough neighborhood or anything.

McGill has never been friendly toward other dogs so I'm very aware of that and watch him like a hawk because I don't want him causing any trouble (he's always on a leash by the way). But, I'm surprised how often others will be careless with their dogs that don't do well with others.

Carol, McGill, Atty Cat & Winnie (always)