PDA

View Full Version : Kwiggles' Joe has passed

Kwiggles
05-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Dear friends,

I am writing this through my tears. Joe is gone, he passed away this afternoon. I always thought Cushings would be the last foe he would have to face at the end of his life, I never could have predicted this.

We were walking on our favorite road on Saturday afternoon as we had a thousand times before when 2 big dogs came running out of their yard and slammed into him. They knocked him down on the pavement and just started biting him. The owner eventually saw what was happening and called them back but by then the damage was done.

I rushed Joe to the emergency vet clinic where they stabilized him and early this morning they performed 2 hours of surgery on him. He had massive internal injuries. He came through the surgery but about 6 hours later, his heart just stopped, the surgeon said it was probably a blood clot.

I am devastated. Already I miss him like crazy, he was my little buddy, always by my side, so loyal and loving. I see him everywhere I look and I know I will for a long time to come.

My only comfort is that he had the best of care in his last hours, the emergency vet and technicians were so kind and gentle and skilled. I know they gave him the best chance of pulling through, it just wasn't meant to be. And now he is out of pain and suffering and fear.

I will write again when I can. Please give your babies an extra hug and kiss for me in memory of Joe.

Karen

MiniSchnauzerMom
05-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Oh, Karen,

I am absolutely stunned and so very, very sorry for your loss. What a horrid experience for Joe and you to have to go through. OMG, I just want to give you a big hug and cry with you right now.

Please, when you are ready, do come back and write. Sharing can be healing. I will be giving my Munchie a big hug and kiss in memory of your Joe.

Peace, sweet Joe.

Love & Hugs,
Louise

forscooter
05-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Karen,

I haven't had a chance to post to you before, and I came to peek in and read through some threads. I came to your post almost right away. Something just made me check here...

I'm heartsick for you! What a horrible, tragic experience for you all. My eyes welled up and I just feel so sad for you.

I lost my Scoobie right after Christmas and I am still missing him like crazy...I know what an impact our little pups can have on our lives and it is HUGE.

I understand about thinking it would be the Cushing's...how we worry and fret over the disease and treatment and all that comes with it. And then to have something so completely out of the blue change all of that in a single sweep of a second....it's just beyond putting into words.

I am so so sorry...I wish there was something I could do or say to make you feel better right now. Please know that there are a million hearts going out to you as people see your news. And know too, that your Joe will always be remembered by the Cushing's family you have come to know.

Please take good care of yourself right now, Karen. Do what you need to do for yourself and give yourself this time. Again, I am so very very sorry!!

Lots of hugs being sent! Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie

frijole
05-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Karen,

Well we are all just stunned by this sad turn of events... so hard to understand. I hope that you too are OK as this had to have been traumatic for you to witness... oh I feel just sick. I'm glad Joe was in such great hands and you handled it so well. Take care of yourself and when you feel like coming back to talk...please do. Big hugs and prayers from my house to yours.

Kim

Harley PoMMom
05-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Dearest Karen,

I am so, so sorry for the loss of your beloved Joe.

I know words can not do much for the pain you are feeling, but know we are all here and are grieving with you in this time of saddness.

Oh Karen, I wish there was more I could say or do for you right now to help.

Come back and post when you can...please.

ChristyA
05-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Karen,
I am so stunned, I just want to reach out and hug you. I just can't imagine how I would react in the same situation. I'm just relieved Joe was in good hands with his care after the attack.

I am so, so sorry. Please know we are all here if you would like to talk.

Christy

Barney's Mom
05-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Oh Karen, I am just heartsick to hear of the loss of kwiggles Joe. What an absolutely horrible tragedy. You are in my heart and prayers,

Cheryl

Squirt's Mom
05-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Dear Karen,

I am at a loss. Five days ago we were all so pleased with his progress and to have his life end in such a horrific manner is unfair. I am so very sorry. That you had to witness such a thing just makes it that much worse. It is a blessing that he had such good care and I'm sure they did all they could for your sweet Joe.

My heart aches for you, Karen. Like others have said, I wish I could just take you in my arms and rock with you while we cried. Tho the miles separate us, know that many are there with you, holding you and letting our tears fall with yours. Know that we are here for you if you need to talk.

Joe will never be forgotten, sweetie. As a small memorial, a candle has been lit at:

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=ccnet

Our deepest sympathies,
Leslie, Squirt, Ruby, Goldie and Crystal

gpgscott
05-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Karen, I have only posted to you once before.

All I can say is how awful for you and poor Joe. Please take care of yourself in this very difficult time. Thanks for telling us, mine will all get special hugs tonight in memory of Joe.

Scott

Busy07
05-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Karen,

My heart is breaking for you. Prayers are with you.

AlisonandMia
05-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh Karen - I am so sorry and so shocked to hear about what happened to Joe!

My thoughts are with you and take care.

Alison

k9diabetes
05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Oh Karen... I'm so very very sorry. I can't even imagine what it was like to go through that and then to lose Joe. There just aren't words to describe how sad I feel that something so unfair could befall your beloved friend.

If, when, you are up to it, I hope you will post some pictures of Joe in the photo album. I would like to see your boy and wish him peaceful rest face to face.

Deepest sympathies,

Natalie

Carol G
05-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Karen,

I am so very sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Carol

lucygoo
05-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Karen,
I haven't posted to you before, but I just wanted to say I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Take care,
Gina

Kallie'smom
05-17-2009, 09:31 PM
I am so sorry, this is so horrible. It's just not fair. I just don't know what to say. I'm new here but wanted you to know how sorry I am.

Tammy

BestBuddy
05-17-2009, 10:24 PM
I am so sorry. We all thought as you probably did too that Joe had turned the corner, it's just so unfair.
You are in my thought and prayers.
Godspeed Joe
Jenny

Dollydog
05-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Karen,
I'm so sorry to hear this news...what a horrific thing to happen to Joe and you. I'm so sorry that there are such irresponsible pet owners.
Please take good care of yourself at this time...I wish I could help with your pain..words seem so little at a time like this.
Jo-Ann

nikkismom
05-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Karen, this is so hard to imagine. I'm so very sorry. Sharon

4Mikeydog
05-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Karen,

I am so sorry ....There are no words to describe the scope of your loss.
My heart breaks for you...Take care of yourself and may you find comfort in the good memories you have of your beloved Joe...I wish you peace

with love...
Dorothy and Mikey

mytil
05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh Karen,

I have not posted to your thread, but I am so incredibly sorry to read what happened to your sweet boy. I truly wish I could say the right words to help with the tremendous pain you are feeling, but I am sending tons of cyberhugs and know we are all thinking of you.

I have also placed your Joe in our very special remembrance list - so he will always be honored.

In Loving Memory of your boy,
Terry
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.

lulusmom
05-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi Karen,

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Godspeed sweet Joe.

Glynda

Miko's Mom
05-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Karen, I just cannot believe what I read here. I am so very sorry that you and your precious baby went through this. I am so very sorry for your pain and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Christine

Wylie's Mom
05-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh Karen,

I am so terribly sorry... how horrible this is... I don't know what to say. My thoughts are with you, too.

(((Hugs)))
-Susy
Wylie will definitely get hugs & kisses in memory of Joe.

Roxee's Dad
05-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Karen,
That must have been terrible, I can't imagine what you went through in those moments. I am so, so sorry for your loss. Joe really became a part of our family here and he will be missed dearly. I am sure Joe will be watching over you.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Kwiggles
05-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Dear friends,

I wanted to come and write again to thank you all for your outpouring of love on behalf of me and Joe. Please don't ever think your words of comfort are insignificant, they mean so much and are like balm to my broken heart.

It has been a rough couple of days for me but I have had so much support from friends and neighbors and all of you here. Joe's regular vet called me this afternoon and he was heartsick. We talked for a long time, I think he was crying at the end. I know I was.

My 3 kitties have been a great consolation for me, they know something has happened and Mommy is sad. I'm not sure they realize Joe is gone but I woke up this morning with 2 of them in my bed, one of whom always sleeps downstairs on the couch, so I think they know I need company.

Thank you Leslie for Joe's candle and thank you Terry for putting him on the remembrance list. And thank you everyone for your kind words and comforting thoughts.

I was going through some photos (film) today and hope there is a chance I can get them scanned so I can put them on the gallery here. I am a technological clod myself but I'm sure I can find someone who knows how to do that. I would like you all to be able to see my little funny face boy that you have been reading about.

Love to you all. Hold your babies close and take care of one another.
Karen

forscooter
05-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Karen,

I'm so glad you posted....I've been thinking of you. I told my friends today who went through all the treatment with me with my boys....total dog people....about what happened to you and Joe. I can't even begin to imagine your pain over something like that happening...

I would help with the gallery but I don't even know where it is here...:confused:...weird since I've been here so long but I don't. I am sure someone will be along to help you out though.

Just wanted you to know that you have so many prayers and thoughts going out to you...and we will always be here for you...

Lots of hugs...Beth, Bailey and always Scooter

eyelostit
05-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Karen,

I'm so sorry, this is so sad what happened.

Dolly
K9 Diabetes

John II
05-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Dear Karen,

I was so sorry to hear about Joe and can only echo what everyone else has said. For you both to have gone through so much - just to have this happen?
Unbelievable. I am so sorry. I can't stop thinking about it.

John.

Truffa's Mom
05-19-2009, 05:30 PM
OMG Karen, I can't believe that Joe is gone. I am so sorry; I never posted to you before, but I was reading your thread and today I felt my heart jump out of my chest when I came here.

There's no words to express how truly truly sorry I feel, and how ashamed I am of irresponsibly pet owners.

I firmly believe that every beating heart on earth is connected to each other (except roaches, Texan roaches...yikes), so I know that your 3 kitties will be missing Joe and grieving with you. And for sure their beautiful spirit will help you with your healing process.

I will keep you and your family on my thoughts and prayers. I hope you can scan Joe's pictures, it would be wonderful to see him on our forum.

Big hugs to you and godspeed sweet Kwiggles

Marcela & The Choco Labs

Wylie's Mom
05-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure they realize Joe is gone but I woke up this morning with 2 of them in my bed, one of whom always sleeps downstairs on the couch, so I think they know I need company.

That's so sweet;).

-Susy

Kwiggles
05-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Hello again everybody,

I have rounded up some photos of Joe and a friend has scanned them so they are now on my desktop. Can anyone please explain to me how I can post some of them or at least put one up as my avatar?

Thanks, Karen

Harley PoMMom
05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi Karen,

I believe there is a thread here that explains how to post a picture and an avatar, I know if I try to explain it to you I'll probably just confuse you, I had some trouble with it myself.

I will try to find the threads.

The thread is "Learn by Trial and Error" then the Sticky Post on "How Do I", scroll down untill you see the one for the picture and avatar.

I am so glad you posted and am anxious to see those pictures of Joe.

Wylie's Mom
05-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Karen,

If you find that your scanned photos are too large for the avatar, you can send the photo to me and I can crop or edit the size for you… I will PM you.

If you want to give the avatar a go… here’s my shot at the instructions:

click “User CP” (On the menu bar, near top of screen)
you will see “Your Control Panel” appear on the left of your screen
click on “Edit Avatar” (under “Your Control Panel” in the “Settings & Options” section)
the Edit Avatar Screen appears
in the Edit Avatar screen, select “Use Custom Avatar”(under the “Custom Avatar” section)
next to the “Option 2” box, click the “Browse” button, find & select your photo
click the “Save Changes” button

-Susy

labblab
05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Dear Karen,

I just wanted to let you know that as soon as our new k9cushings website is operational (just within the next couple of days), we will have a special memorial section where you will be able to post about Joe, and also a special memorial photo album where you will be able to upload your photos. So be sure to come and register on our new forum as soon as it is open, and in addition to having a photo posted now as your avatar, we will be able to help you to honor Joe in other special ways, too...:o

Lots of (((hugs))),
Marianne

Rusty's Mom
05-21-2009, 08:32 PM
I cannot believe it! I'm so so very, very sorry. I was out of town over the weekend and just logged in for a moment last night. I then logged into our new site and clicked on the In Loving Memory section to see what was up for Rusty. I had no idea he now has a buddy at the rainbow bridge. They can wiggle their silly butts together. I know Rusty will be thrilled. They can share many stories of their cushings, etc.

Since I had lived the wiggle butts vicariously through Joe, it's like I've lost Rusty all over again. I hope Rusty isn't a bad influence on him, and I hope Joe will share some proper manners with Rusty.

You are in my prayers and thoughts. I will write more later, as I have to run out the door in a minute.

Joe and the rest of us here at the forum know you were such a good mommy to him. I know he appreciates all you have done.

Some things just don't make sense. Unfortunately this seems to be one of them.

Blessings to you. May your happy memories bring you peace as you work your way through your grief.

XOXO
MJ

Buffaloe
05-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi Karen,

I am so very sorry to hear what happened to Kwiggles. It is just horrible and it disgusts me. I'm sorry but I wish I'd have been there with a baseball bat. Something equally gruesome happened to our beloved family dog when I was ten except it was human inflicted. Honest to goodness, to this day if I ever found out who did it.......I'd best not say.

I just feel so badly for you, Karen. The deep pain will heal with time but dogonne it, things like that should not happen. I'm going to give Shi a whole bunch of hugs and kisses right now in honor of Kwiggles. Hang in there, it will get better with time.

Ken

bkdice
05-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Karen - What a heartbreaking story... I am so sorry for your loss.... :(

labblab
05-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Karen, now that we are safely settled in our new home, I want to invite you to email us a photo of Joe to be included in our "Remembering" photo album:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295

Once uploaded to our album, Joe's photo will also be linked to his memorial line on our "Remembering All Who Have Left Us" thread of honor. I can only imagine how painful his loss must feel to you, but hopefully you may find a small measure of comfort in allowing us to join you in honoring his precious memory in this way.

With many (((hugs))),
Marianne

Kwiggles
05-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Hello Everyone,

First wanted to say what a beautiful new website home for K9 Cushings- bravo to all who worked so hard to make it happen.

And thank you, thank you, to Susy for helping me get Joe's mug up there as my avatar. The photo is a little dark but yeah, that's my boy.

Well, all your prayers and kind words and cyber-sent hugs must be getting through to me because I am finding my heart has felt a bit less heavy with each passing day. Today is 5 days since I lost my little buddy and I am finding now I am able to remember him and smile, especially at all the goofy things he would do. I brought some photos in to work and my friend Max scanned them for me- Max is a great animal lover and an old friend of Joe's and she and I shared a lot of laughs (and a few tears) looking at the photos.

I am going up to the emergency vet clinic where Joe died to pick up his ashes tonight and I know that will be hard but I also want to be able to thank them for the tender and excellent care they gave him in his last hours.

Honestly, those people must have the hardest job in the world- they open their doors at 5 PM every day, right after the regular vets close, and wait for distraught owners to come rushing in with their broken and suffering pets. And they know that many will not make it but they give it their all anyway. And always so gentle and compassionate to the owners. God bless 'em.

Yesterday the local paper came out with the report of the attack as the lead story on the 'Police Blotter'. (Yeah, I know, small town when a story like that makes the news). Here's the whole sad tale if you care to look: http://mdi.villagesoup.com/storyRefer.cfm?storyID=159458&Passwd=xCEbENEB

I was glad in a way that the story was printed as it serves as a cautionary tale about the dangers of aggressive dogs, but it has also meant that since the paper came out, I have been receiving a non-stop stream of phone calls from friends who want to know 'what happened'? I am grateful for their concern but just as I am beginning to heal a bit and get that horrific memory out of my head, they want me to relive it all over again. I'm thinking of unplugging my phone.

Another incredibly disturbing thing is that I have learned in the past few days that the dogs who attacked Joe have a history of aggressive behavior and their owner knows it and lets them wander the neighborhood at large anyway. It is clear that Joe's death was totally preventable. The thought of this makes me so enraged I can't even see straight. The man has been summonsed with 'keeping a dangerous dog', he will go to court on July 7. I am deliberately trying to avoid thinking about, it makes my blood boil and that's not good for me. I will let the law deal with him. The Bar Harbor police, by the way, have been outstanding through all of this. As soon as I filed the complaint, they were all over it.

Sorry to go on and on, I guess I am not quite as far along the path of grief as I thought. (which step is 'anger'? I think I am backsliding).

Back to my little buddy- Joe was one of a kind and I was honored to be his Mommy. I cherish every day we had together. He is at peace now and at Rainbow Bridge with Rusty and all the other Cushpup angels, butts wiggling away, waiting for us. Lets end on that note (oh dear, crying again).

Love you all and am so grateful for your support, could not get through this without you guys, you're the best.

Karen & Angel Joe

Wylie's Mom
05-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I never would have thought of this coming from golden retrievers... from now on, I'm not going to give any loose dog the benefit of doubt - no matter how sweet & friendly they look.

Karen, I believe your actions will have prevented this from happening to another dog or child.

-Susy

Roxee's Dad
05-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi Karen,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I know there is nothing I can say that will make the pain go away. But I am glad you are still here and know that you are welcome to share your stories and memories.

I am truley saddened by your loss.

Squirt's Mom
05-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi Karen,

Your anger is certainly understandable; known aggressive dogs allowed to run loose? How can parents be so irresponsible? Why didn't he come and help Joe? Thank goodness they didn't attack you as well. Tho if I were in your shoes, I would be wishing they had gone after me and not my baby. I am so sorry about all of this. :(

Your response quoted in the paper is heart-wrenching. To expect a friendly greeting and get a nightmare instead. :( I can barely imagine what you went through.

Karen, we are here for you at any time. You are free to write your heart out and we are honored to be able to share your thoughts. In time you will be able to write about Joe without as much anger but that won't happen overnite. Don't rush your grieving process. Yeah, there are steps to grieving but they don't keep in line like we would like for them to. Those emotions will roll for a while from one to the other, from anger to denial to anger again. Don't hesitate to let us help you if we can. Sometimes just putting our thought in writing does a world of good.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

ladysmom06
05-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Dear Karen,

I am so very sorry to hear about your little buddy. I wish there was something I could say to ease your pain but know there isn't. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Luv,
Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09

lleigh
05-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Karen,

I am so sorry to hear about your precious Joe and especially sad to read the way it happened. What a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to you.

Lyn