PDA

View Full Version : Checking in for January 2013

mytil
01-01-2013, 01:01 AM
"Checking in" is a topic that we start on the first of each month. We suspect that we have a good number of members who read the messages regularly but who don't post very often. Maybe that's because their dogs are doing well, or they don't have a Cushing's dog anymore, or they haven't got any questions to ask, or maybe they don't feel very comfortable about posting answers to other members' questions. It's perfectly understandable and acceptable for folks to only post once in a while, but when we don't hear from people, many of us find ourselves wondering what those folks have been up to recently and how their dogs are doing.

It's always preferable to post updates about your Cushing's dog in your own thread/topic (especially if you want feedback/replies from other members) but you can also post a quick reply here if you just want to say hi and let everyone know how you are doing in general.

We'd love to hear from you! :)

Loraine
01-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Hello all,

I am still lurking. Had a couple of spells in hospital, nothing serious, just one day surgery and one overnight stay.

I am moving back to England in the middle of this year as my son and his family have decided to stay over there. I am now dealing with selling up most of my contents, the house, my car, getting Iggy to have his rabies shot so that he does not have to be quarantined, etc., etc.,

I will be taking my Heartboy Coco with me too!!! I think he may have to be shipped with the main stuff, don't want to have customs opening his urn.

mytil
01-08-2013, 01:09 PM
WooHoo - you keep lurking Loraine!!!! It is really good to have you here - me & you are certainly old timers :D Oh, so you will have to tell me where and when are you moving - send me private message!

T.

Boober
01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi Everyone
I just wanted to let you know that Boober is doing well and just turned 12. She's being treated for Atypical Cushings with melatonin and flax lignans and a host of other supplements as both her ALP and ALT are high. Regardless she happy, healthy and doing great.
Sue and Boober

Bo's Mom
01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Just wanted to say, "Boy what a tough week it has been for some of our fur babies." Prayers to each and every one of you and let you know we are here for you with hearts breaking and big ((((HUGS)))).

NoonelovesmelikeNorman
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Am I posting correctly when I do? I am sometimes confused on how sites operate and if I am doing things correctly.

Lots of stress lately, tired with all of that and then Norman's cushings on top of all of other loved ones health issues and my own neurological condition. I have several apointments this week for. I apologize if I am posting incorrectly, please inform and direct me if so.

Thanks, Sharon - Norman's human <3

Lauren
01-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Checking in for Cooper. Had a bad night end of last week. Took stool sample to be tested at vet. Waiting for results. Don't want to change Vetoryl dose this soon again. Will see if we need another ACTH test after stool results. Ups and downs. "Non" Cushings and/or pet owners starting to get tired of listening to me about Cooper. Glad this forum is here to listen. :)

BreeandDaisy
01-24-2013, 10:37 AM
I usually post under my own thread. Bree was back in for a check up on his Cushings earlier in the month. It was found in slight decline and vertoryl increased to 40mg. He had his recheck and the levels were great so he will continue as such. Those results were out this week.

Two days later he was having breathing issues (unrelated to Cushings as he has an enlarged heart). My vet tells me what symptoms to look for and to bring him in when I see them. Monthly I have to check his breaths per minute when he is resting. Monday he was at 22/minute. Tuesday evening he was at 46/minute! Took him in yesterday and he has moved into the next phase of congetive heart failure. Having a dog who has been diagnosed with three ailments all of which have an average two year life expectancy upon dx is never easy! (to say the least). On the upside, because I was trained in the sympton recognition we caught it early. Had I waited 5 days, I have been told, it would be an emergency situation! He is on meds and they can say he likely will not die in the next two months but realistically, they will be happy if he is alive in a year's time. *sigh*

As long as he is happy I will keep him going. That was my rule with Daisy (died last June from dementia and not her cushings). Needless to say, a rough week in our household.:(

Kodasmom
01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi to all of you, as I am just checking in for Jan. It has been a long road and I really miss my Koda very much. It has been 6 months now since he passed. He too had an enlarged heart and I was told it was from his Cushings, even though he was on twice daily Vetoryl for a year after diag. He took 30mg 2x day with food. We never had a clue his heart was failing until the day we had to put him down.He had no signs, except a little panting and that was also Cush. He was very big like 31lbs even on Vetoryl he could not shake that weight gain.He was usually a 17 lb normal weight Shih Tzu mix .The day he died, we had seen an X ray of his enlarged heart.It was so big, that it took up all his lung space and was suffocating him basically. It was faintly beating and was too late. I keep thinking that maybe if my regular Cush vet was in that day, he may have wanted to try diretics to get fluid off his lungs.Maybe I could have had him longer to love and care for....
I guess I will never know, as we had to make that decision that day. I NEVER wanted him to suffer anymore. Im glad u found out about the heart issue beforehand,so you can make some choices that are not based on an emergency situation. Good luck and prayers are with you.
Theresa..AKA Kodas mom and now Caspers mom.