PDA

View Full Version : Checking in for November 2012

mytil
11-02-2012, 09:43 AM
"Checking in" is a topic that we start on the first of each month. We suspect that we have a good number of members who read the messages regularly but who don't post very often. Maybe that's because their dogs are doing well, or they don't have a Cushing's dog anymore, or they haven't got any questions to ask, or maybe they don't feel very comfortable about posting answers to other members' questions. It's perfectly understandable and acceptable for folks to only post once in a while, but when we don't hear from people, many of us find ourselves wondering what those folks have been up to recently and how their dogs are doing.

It's always preferable to post updates about your Cushing's dog in your own thread/topic (especially if you want feedback/replies from other members) but you can also post a quick reply here if you just want to say hi and let everyone know how you are doing in general.

We'd love to hear from you! :)

Buffaloe
11-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Maddie recently turned three years old and she is a complete delight. She loves everyone and everything. She is a great retriever, absolutely loves to run and swim. She is even a watch dog but not quite up to Shiloh's standards. I still miss Shi but am so thankful to have had her as my trusted companion for over 14 years. I am happy to say that Maddie is in the exact same mold as all of my other amazing dogs: Buff, Brandy and Shiloh. I will try to post a recent picture of Maddie and me at the park.
Ken

mytil
11-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Wow, three - I cannot believe all the time that goes by quickly. Glad you and Mandy posted.

You know, I have often thought that it is the combination of very caring owners and the dogs specific nature coming together to bring out the best of both --- so you have had such amazing pups in the past because of this combination. T.

mytil
11-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Loraine, you have not checked in girl! :D
Terry

Mar
11-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi all. I haven't been here for a long time. Maizie, my now 16 (or maybe more) year old Jack Russell mix is doing fine even though we stopped treating the Cushing's over a year ago! Quick recap: She was started on too much vetoryl, had an Addisonian episode, recovered from that and started on less vetoryl, had another very bad episodenand recovered, started showing Cushings symptoms again, and we said, "NO MAS."

She does take fluoxetine for anxiety, as she has for years. She takes DES for incontinence to keep from leaking on her bed, and I've been giving her a small amount of melotonin as a supplement as well. We also now giver her wet premium food and some treats.She hasn't had an ACH test in over a year, so I can't tell you those numbers. She doesn't drink as much as she used to, and pees less than she did last year although more than she did pre-diagnosis. I'm not sure if her need to go at this point is due to the Cushings, or just old age. If we walk her four times, she may use the wee-wees once or twice.

She does a shed a lot and shows her age in other ways. She still jumps up (or tries to) but not often. It takes her a while to get up when she's down and if she walks too much, she'll get a limp. If we take her in the car, she needs help getting up into her mobil-crate which is on the backseat. Her stomach is quite a bit more delicate, though her appetite is as voracious as ever. However, if she spots one of her enemies (and all neighbor dogs are her enemies, she's ready for action). All in all, despite the diagnosis, she's doing pretty well for an old lady, and we try to make her as comfortable as we can.