PDA

View Full Version : My dearest, Ginny

cerndo
04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
My Bichon, Ginny passed away on Monday April 23, 2012 and was a Cushing's dog for about 5 years. She passed away quite suddenly and after she was gone, I had this need to write this letter to her. I would like to share it with all other Cushing's dog owners.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/cerndo/DSCN2455_zps4cwlxoge.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/cerndo/media/DSCN2455_zps4cwlxoge.jpg.html)

A letter to Ginny

Ginny, I am not a spiritual person, but if I were, I could honestly say I was blessed and you are now playing with King, Prince, Lady and Hoisum. I’m glad I was by your side today just as you have been by mine every breathing moment of your life. I have tried to be the best owner I could possibly be to you but it’s so unfair that I had to play God and take your life. I hope you will forgive me. It was the hardest thing letting go, but I could tell in your eyes, that you were ready. The past two weeks have been difficult for both of us, you not eating especially. I’m glad you had a good day yesterday and this morning, we shared our dinner and you followed me around the house and garage like usual.

You came into my life a palm sized cotton ball and have never left my side since. You were such a joy to have on all my fishing trips, in the boat, on the shore and up at the cabins. You are a dog well travelled and were always excited to jump in to your kennel. You greeted customers in the store and licked everybody. I lost count has to how many hundreds of thousands of miles we have done on land and on water and how many house inspections you have done with me, waiting patiently in vehicle. I’m glad you had a winter fishing trip with me this year but those summer ones will be missed the most.

You came into my life with only one purpose and that was to be a faithful, non-judgemental companion. At first I was reluctant to have another pet because of days like this but the days in-between are the ones that I cherish the most. One look into to your black marble eyes and petting your stringy puppy hair and I was hooked. I vowed this was gonna be one lucky dog. From your first camping road trip to walking on the gunnels of the boat as a pup, you have always been by my side. Nothing has been more important to me than your well being and happiness.

You have been a soul mate no one or thing could ever replicate. I never tired of your constant companionship and my feelings never waned….only growing stronger as time went on. This is why it is especially hard to realize you are gone. Your many sleeping blankets and doggie accessories are an agonizing reminder of how joyful you were to have around.

You, the alpha female, were always good at guarding your turf. Even at obedience, you would corner other dogs and let them know “im small but im big” attitude. You were so smart being at the top of the class. Such a proud daddy moment for me! I know you could still remember your obedience commands even though physically, you became unable. As of late, our walks became shorter and shorter to the point I would carry you everywhere, even up one step. I didn’t care, I would have carried you anywhere by any means. I know physically, you started to lose some mobility and playtime with me, but you compensated by taking a bigger piece of my heart. For a creature who cannot speak, there was no need. We could understand what each other needed and for that I will always be grateful.

Ginny, you have been the best thing in my life for 16 years. We have shared so many things, not one bad (well maybe analyzing your BM’s every single day). Always two steps behind me, always greeting me at the door like you haven’t seen me in 2 days even though it was only 2 minutes. We have walked many a road and had so many fun times together. Your bucking bronc act on the bed was the best.

Today, we took one last ride in the truck, not under the circumstances I or you had probably envisioned. You died in my arms and when you finally relaxed, I knew you were relieved to be rid of the disease. I knew you could not hear me say “ I love you, Ginny” as the many times I have tried to close to your ear, but I know you knew, that with your one lick on the lips and nose as you did so many times, you cared. And so, I kissed you on the forehead one last time and took a deep breath just to remember your smell while you took your last. I am relieved you are free from forever biting into a bitter pill or quietly taking another needle jab. Ginny, you are the best and for being a dog, you have taught me friendship, companionship and two important human qualities namely patience and unconditional love. I’m glad you gave me both. Thank you for being a great dog. Love, Robert

Bo's Mom
04-25-2012, 06:05 PM
I just want to send my deepest sympathies to you. Your letter brought tears to my eyes as I read the love that you showed for your dearest Ginny. Hugs are sent your way as you deal with the difficult times that are to come.

BestBuddy
04-25-2012, 08:05 PM
What a beautiful letter to Ginny.
Ginny is now free from the pain that you now have. It is one of the hardest things to let them go but it is the one that shows so much love. What a great time you had together.

Jenny

mytil
04-26-2012, 06:23 AM
Oh Robert,

I am so very, very sorry to read about your Ginny. My heart is with you. Your letter to her shows that two lives can become one, thank you for sharing this. I have placed Ginny in our very special remembrance list Remembering All Those Who Have Left Us (http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3918).

I know she heard you when you told her you loved her.
((((hugs))))
Terry

Casey's Mom
04-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Robert what a beautiful letter. Your Ginny had a wonderful life with you and you were blessed with a wonderful dog.

Love and hugs,

Jenny & Judi in MN
04-26-2012, 04:53 PM
16 years, what a lovable little alpha female! Your heartfelt letter made me so sad I know you miss her.

love the picture, love your descriptions. I'm so sorry for your loss. Judi

marie adams
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Dearest Robert,

What a life together!!! Such good memories to carry you through the days ahead.

I am so sorry for your loss. So many of us know that last day and how lonely the house becomes. Reading your letter to Ginny with tears in my eye makes me remember....

Take care!!

cerndo
06-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Its been two months to the day and I miss Ginny as much as ever. Thanks for the kind words, people.

annie
06-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Dear Robert,

My tears are falling as I read this. You have expressed so beautifully what I have been trying to put into words since May 9. I have tried to write a tribute to my Koby but could never finish it. Still too painful. I truly understand how you feel.

Thank you so much for writing this. I still lurk here and hopefully one day I can express my feelings as you have.

I will light a candle for both you and Ginny.

Annie

cerndo
12-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Ginny, its been 8 months since I last held you in my arms.....Merry Christmas http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/cerndo/RYE_0193_zps0nkf8bcm.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/cerndo/media/RYE_0193_zps0nkf8bcm.jpg.html)