PDA

View Full Version : I wanted to thank you all (Lola 8 yr old chihuahua recently diagnosed)

janemroper
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm glad I found this site - it was quite a blow the day I went to log on and couldn't find you

You may remember me - I didn't get the chance to post much before the site went though. My beloved chihuahua, Lola, had very recently been diagnosed with Cushings by my regular vet and had been prescribed Vetoryl. I actually gave her the fist pill and before deciding to seek a second opinion ay the National Veterinary College of Toulouse which is 90 minutes from me (very fortunate!)

She needed three trips and saw many students and a fair few vets. She was examined, X-Rayed, blood tested (loads), put in a black out room and had an ultraviolet light shined on her, had urine taken, skin scrapes etc etc They finally ruled out Leishmaniosis and Cushings and we went back to see the Dermatologist there today. They had already told me that an X-Ray had showed she has an enlarged fatty liver so I wasn't feeling must like celebrating, though I certainly felt relieved about the Cushings

Well the dermatologist was delighted to see just how much her hair is growing back. I had noticed this but hadn't dared believe it - thought it was just wishful thinking. She then examined her and I'm very pleased to say they have decided to take no further action and aren't in the slightest bit worried about her health or future.

They are not sure why the hair fell out but can find no medical reason. As for her liver - they aren't worried about that either. They say some dogs just have them without any perceptible effect to health. I was still concerned so they have suggested a follow up X-ray in six months

I have some drops to apply to her nape to help the hair regrowth - so much better than a lifetime's supply of Vetoryl! Thanks for your support during this - I was very touched, and you all helped far more than my real life friends at the dog club who really quite disappointed me. She's only a little scrap of fur - but she's the love of my life

I'm very relieved and thought you might like to know the end of this particular story. I'm very grateful not just for the incredible amount of information you gave me but also for your understanding and kindness. For a while you were my single most calming influence at a time when I was freaking out

I was very lucky in that these vets college trips were highly subsidised but would urge anyone who has recently been diagnosed to seek a second opinion. My regular vet really didn't do enough digging

Good luck to all of you

Jane Roper x

Squirt's Mom
05-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi Jane,

I do remember you and Lola, and am very glad you found us to tell us this wonderful news! I am so happy that Lola has begun to regrow her hair and that the tests all came back negative. She is just a medical mystery! :p But as long as she is happy and healthy, that is fine!

I hope her years to come are full of joy for you both,
Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

gpgscott
05-11-2009, 07:30 PM
I was very lucky in that these vets college trips were highly subsidised but would urge anyone who has recently been diagnosed to seek a second opinion. My regular vet really didn't do enough digging

Good luck to all of you

Jane Roper x

This is common,

Very glad you have found this site and happier that your pup Lola is responding favorably to treatment.

Please continue to post her progress.

Best to you both.

Scott

Roxee's Dad
05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Jane,
I am very, very happy you found us and thank Natalie again for supporting us. I was looking for you for a while, tried google search, twitter, but had no luck. Even kept part of your thread and was just thinking about you and Lola this morning, hoping Lola was doing okay. You made my day.:)

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:eu3Hk6LCGt4J:www.caninecushings.net/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D8907+site:www.caninecushings. net+canine+cushings+forums&cd=202&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

So happy and glad that Lola is doing well and does not have cushings or Leishmaniosis:D:D:D:D. Thank you for taking the time to find us and update Lola's condition. I hope Lola's liver does recover. You may want to look into Milk Thistle.

John (Roxee's Dad)

janemroper
05-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Thanks again - I feel enormously relieved and happy.

Having spoken with two internet friends of mine who have been through exactly the same - their vets insisting that their dogs have Cushings and that they should start medication, when second opinions and further investigation have proved otherwise - I wonder just how many dogs are being unnecessarily medicated. That's western medicine for you though, isn't it? I myself was even anxious to start her on the Vetoryl and worried about the delay that all the further investigation was causing.

And having never made a claim on Lola's pet insurance before, I was quite shocked at what a rip off it is - I have always paid for the most comprehensive package but the returns you get after five years of paying premiums is a joke. The visit yesterday would have cost me more to claim for than to just pay it and and forget the claim. I think they must be great if your dog has a sudden accident and needs operations, but I realised if a car hit my chihuahua there wouldn't be much to operate on. So I'm stopping my payments once they settle these bills - but if they take too long to pay, I'll still be out of pocket!

I have a theory about her liver too - I have a hunch that it's 8 years of eating dry dog food that has done the damage. I recently changed my way of eating and cut out sugar, cereals, rice, pasta etc and eat a more natural diet for the human body and realised that my dogs were eating that rubbish too. For the last six months my dogs have been eating raw meat and bones, eggs and some raw veg. Maybe her liver is already getting better - we will see in six months :)

Jane x

MiniSchnauzerMom
05-12-2009, 05:18 AM
Hi Jane,

Yes, of course, I remember you and Lola. That is absolutely fantastic news about Lola! My Munchie was also one who was misdiagnosed with Cushings by a vet the end of 2007 and put on Trilostane. :( I'm so glad you returned to share the rest of Lola's story with us. I love happy endings! :D

These are the links to Lola's complete story:

Lola - Page 1
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:eu3Hk6LCGt4J:www.caninecushings.net/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D8907+site:www.caninecushings. net+canine+cushings+forums&cd=202&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Lola - Page 2
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:fS40T99S5r8J:www.caninecushings.net/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D8907%26page%3D2+site:www.cani necushings.net+caninecushings.net+%2B+Lola+%2B+200 9&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk

Lola - Page 3
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:EkcLsVNBBDwJ:www.caninecushings.net/forums/showthread.php%3Fs%3D1242cb7d2d7e5b05bbcedc01553da 88e%26p%3D96735+site:www.caninecushings.net+canine cushings.net+%2B+Lola+%2B+2009&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

Give Lola some extra pets from me!!!

Louise & Munchie

jrepac
05-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Enlarged fatty liver, huh? That is very interesting. Just out of curiosity, were Lola's liver enzyme counts very high? I've been in a somewhat similar situation, with a cushings diagnosis that has not been fully supported and vets wanting to start lysodren treatment. But, I have been treating (not w/trilo or lyso, however....using anipryl/selegiline plus supplements). My pooch is going to get some new tests done in June....bloodwork looks good except for high liver enzymes and high cholesterol. Combined with other clinical stuff (drinking, hunger), looks and smells like cushings. The anipryl treatment has proved helpful, but, even my vet admits, Cushings is very hard to accurately diagnose.

Thanks!

janemroper
05-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Enlarged fatty liver, huh? That is very interesting. Just out of curiosity, were Lola's liver enzyme counts very high? I've been in a somewhat similar situation, with a cushings diagnosis that has not been fully supported and vets wanting to start lysodren treatment. But, I have been treating (not w/trilo or lyso, however....using anipryl/selegiline plus supplements). My pooch is going to get some new tests done in June....bloodwork looks good except for high liver enzymes and high cholesterol. Combined with other clinical stuff (drinking, hunger), looks and smells like cushings. The anipryl treatment has proved helpful, but, even my vet admits, Cushings is very hard to accurately diagnose.

Thanks!

I am so sorry but I have no idea. I'm English and speak fairly good French - but all the terminology was very hard to understand. I will get the paperwork and see if I can translate it. If not - I have to call the vet in the college back in 15 days just to tell them about her progress so I will do my best to remember to ask. have to find the French words first though. It's my belief that dry dog food may be to blame for the liver problems - a vet would probably not agree. they were still telling me at the last apointment that a dog needs some form of carbohydrate and even sugessted pasta. Wolves never needed pasta!

Sorry I can't be of much help - I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow night though

x