PDA

View Full Version : Natural Flea & Bug Repellent

4Vicki
01-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Take a BIG fat lemon (the more rind the better) & slice it paper thin.

Put in a bowl w/a tbsp crushed rosemary leaves or a 6" sprig of fresh.

Pour a quart of hot, near boiling water over the lemon/rosemary mixture.

Let steep overnight.

Strain & put into a large spray bottle.

Keep in fridge.

Always shake well before use.

Double or triple the recipe, then divide & freeze some. The d-limonene in this spray along w/rosemary oil will give your dog a beautiful, shiny coat & keep fleas & other bugs away, including mosquitoes. If your dog has dry skin or allergies, add a tsp of tea tree oil & a tbsp aloe pulp. Use the spray at least twice a week to keep the scent on the coat to repel bugs. You can also spray it around doors & through carpets. If it's a bad flea time, spray daily on the belly & feet to repel them. This has worked wonders for many yrs & not just for dogs........people too. Bugs won't get near this stuff.

(My note: I think a tsp of tea tree oil might be a little too much. We've been having a discussion about that on another thread. I add a little aloe but no tea tree oil.)

Maya
01-29-2012, 05:25 PM
I think I'm gonna have a go at that. I was just thinking the other day about trying to find a natural bug repellent to put on Maya this summer. I think those commercial ones are far too toxic. I haven't used them for years. When I've lived in Europe, I would buy an all natural spray from a herb shop. Now I'm in the States, I'm lost. I don't know where to go to buy these things. Thanks for posting that!:)

Sabre's Mum
01-30-2012, 04:09 PM
I tried to post last night but things didn't happen - it just vanished!

Thanks for posting ... this looks so simple as many other flea repellent recipes I have seen have too many had to acquire ingredients. I have a immune mediated dog - Flynn - who can no longer use toxic flea treaments and this will come in handy. We are lucky that he hasn't had since diagnosed so "touch wood" this continues!
Angela

4Vicki
01-31-2012, 12:50 PM
We have these small bugs here in the summer........people call them gnats but they aren't. They are some kind of small fly but don't look anything like gnats. Anyway, whatever they are, they love to fly around your face & I've had them get into my ears, nose & mouth (I wear glasses most of the time so luckily they haven't gotten into my eyes). This is a good case for keeping my mouth shut.:rolleyes:

Hannah really is bothered by them w/her nice long nose!!!!!!!!! They are always around her head.

I spray this stuff into my hands & put it all around her face & neck besides what I spray on her body. I have put it on my face too to be perfectly honest & have wiped some on my hair. They still fly close but not nearly as close & they don't land on either of us.

For something natural, I really like it for both of us.........:-)

Cyn719
01-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Sounds good! Going to pass this on to my friends and brother for their dogs - thanks for sharing!!:)