PDA

View Full Version : PDH vs atypical

we3dogs
04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Out of curiosity - can a dog originally diagnosed with PDH then become atypical? I am reading thru some of the threads that Leslie posted to Doc's mom Jan and am trying to diagnose Angel myself at this point!! Thanks - Joyce & the girlz - Pebbles & Angel (and "we3dogs" at the Bridge - ED, Zee! & Concho)

Squirt's Mom
04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi Joyce,

Yes, what you are asking is possible, but the probability is that the hormones involved with Atypical were already in play when the PDH was diagnosed but without the UTK panel, you wouldn't have known that then.

I had been under the misconception that PDH and Atypical existed as separate conditions. But based on a response from Dr O to one of our members, when the cortisol level is high enough and not controlled by the treatment for Atypical, then the pup has what he called "true" Cushing's - not two separate conditions as I had thought. It is much more complicated that I once thought, but the treatments are the same. Melatonin and lignans for Atypical; if the cortisol level is high enough to be considered conventional (true) Cushing's and/or not controlled with the melatonin/lignans, then Lyso comes into play, usually as a maintenance, without the loading phase. Trilo can be used, but it will elevate the intermediate and/or sex hormones eventually. (I think I got all that right...it's from memory.... :eek::o )

I hope we find that post with the reply from him as it was quite enlightening, as was one from him to Palmer's mom about using Trilo with an Atypical pup.

I am really glad to see you and your babies here! And I think you will learn alot from your research, which I hope you will share! ;)

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

MiniSchnauzerMom
04-21-2009, 02:54 PM
I hope we find that post with the reply from him as it was quite enlightening, as was one from him to Palmer's mom about using Trilo with an Atypical pup.

Leslie:

Here's the link to the page you are referring to with the reply from Dr. Oliver:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:-G5xOMYJ9RMJ:www.caninecushings.net/forums/showthread.php%3Fp%3D95248+site:www.caninecushings .net+caninecushings.net+%2B+Palmer+%2B+Atypical&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk

Louise

Squirt's Mom
04-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks Louise! I have found page 13 of that thread...but I now have that reply copied and saved!
Hugs!