View Full Version : When your loved dog passes, remember the rescue organizations

Rusty's Mom
04-20-2009, 10:48 PM

I just wanted to share with you what I did after Rusty passed. Since he was a cocker, and cockers are known to need LOTS of care and PRODUCTS, I contacted a local cocker rescue group. I was able to give them all of Rusty's things - food, toys, treats, treatment products, supplements, etc. They took everything and said the vet they work with is great about using donated items for the rescue pups.

Just in case you didn't know, with today's economy, there are so many more abandoned dogs. People not only leave them when they move, but they will drop them off or just let them wander the streets instead of getting them the medical treatment the dogs need. When people have to choose between their children eating and their pets' medical needs, they have to let the dog go.

I did have to check with a couple of rescue organizations before I was able to find one who wanted everything. They were thrilled, and my heart was warmed.

Since Rusty the Cocker was racist (partial to Cockers) I know he would have wanted his things to go to other Cockers.

I promise you, this will aide in your healing, as you will be able to do something positive for someone who needs you!


04-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Dear MJ,

What a generous thing to do, and a beautiful tribute to Rusty. I'm sure he is looking down in approval. (and some other lucky Cocker is wiggling its little butt in gratitude!)

Karen & Joe

04-21-2009, 11:20 AM
MJ - You are something else! What a wonderful thing to do - I am bowing to you right now! Take care - Joyce & the girlz - Pebbles & Angel

Wylie's Mom
04-21-2009, 04:27 PM
I didn't think about it before, but I have medications & products for Wylie that will probably expire or I find I don't like to use. I'm lucky to still have Wylie, but there's plenty of stuff of his that I can give up right now. He also has so many toys that he just doesn't care for anymore (he loses interest quickly).

Thanks MJ.


Rusty's Mom
04-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm so glad to see the replies. I loved the idea of checking with a local rescue for any excess things you might have now - no need to wait! I do know most are strapped for cash here in So Cal and believe they are probably all overloaded all over the country.

Kwiggles made me laugh - you can tell she's a cocker mom - those cockers just do wiggle their little butts off! I miss those butt wiggles!

You're all the best!


Harley PoMMom
04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Dear MJ,
What an amazing person you must be to think of others in your time of pain. Although I didn't get the priviledge to know your beloved Rusty well, I am honored to be able to do that now with you, with the help of this forum.

Harley and Lori

04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Before Dexter passed away I bought 6 months worth of Lysodren because the more you bought the cheaper it was he took 1500mg a week so that was three 500mg pills a week. I had a lot left, about 3 months worth. I gave it to my vet because he said he knew of someone that could really use it.


Rusty's Mom
04-22-2009, 07:23 PM

That's great! I didn't even check with my vet, as they usually don't take meds back. You know, the big city, lawsuits, etc.

It makes you feel good to help someone else out, especially if they are in a similar situation as you, doesn't it?


04-22-2009, 09:16 PM
That is an excellent idea and you are an incredible person to think of others. If there is anything we can do for you please let us know.
Hugs from me and mine

04-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi, so glad to find you guys again! Thought I had lost you forever. After my cat Tristan died of chronic renal failure last year I donated all his stuff to the local shelter. For my birthday, my husband got me a Siamese cat I picked out from a rescue.

When Speckles died in Feb we were so grief stricken we did not know what to do. Our other doxie was so as, too. After a month he tried to dig her out of her grVe covered with boulders. My husbad was not open to it, but I got on petfinder.com and found several doxie rescue organizations. We went to one place that dealt only with adults cleared from mills. That was very sad, and because of some of the physical stress the dogs had been under we did not find a dog for us there. But we did find one and picked her up almost two weeks ago. We have been very happy since.

I found that there are purebred rescues of all types. Petfinder.com can help with purebred & mixes. The AKC also has rescue links.

I found the best advantage was getting an 8 mo old that was spayed, hAd all shots, and was house broken!

I am so sorry for everyone who has lost a pet, but if you now have room in your heart and house getting a needy pup is the bezt thing you can do

Peace to all

Roxee's Dad
04-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi MJ,
Rusty has touched our lives and is still influencing us. As you may or may not know, I am a mobile groomer and I do alot of volunteer grooming at our local rescue (Furry Friends) This afternoon I stopped by to do some free grooming and usually I tell them to give me the ones who need it the most. Today, I asked them to give me Boogie in memory of Rusty. Boogie is a 14 year old Cocker that will probably spend the rest of his days at the rescue.:( We thought he found a forever home but he was returned because he drinks too much water (can you believe that!):mad:

Anyway, Boogie recieved a good massage bath, facial scrub and paw moisturizing treatment, and nail trim today along with a summer trim to keep him comfortable in Rusy's memory.

Godspeed to you Rusty.
John (Roxee's Dad)

Rusty's Mom
04-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Bless you, John, you made me cry. I know Boogie must have enjoyed his spa treatment! I know Rusty always enjoyed his - all but the "are you really sure I have to get wet?" part.

You have a large heart. People like you make the world a wonderful place. I know Rusty would have loved to have you groom him!

Hmmm, sounds as though Boogie might be on his way to being a Cush pup??? Increased thirst is the first sign I saw in Rusty.

Thanks for honoring Rusty; thanks for sharing yourself to a rescue cocker; and just thanks for being so darned nice!