PDA

View Full Version : Checking in for September 2011

mytil
09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Checking in" is a topic that we start on the first of each month. We suspect that we have a good number of members who read the messages regularly but who don't post very often. Maybe that's because their dogs are doing well, or they don't have a Cushing's dog anymore, or they haven't got any questions to ask, or maybe they don't feel very comfortable about posting answers to other members' questions. It's perfectly understandable and acceptable for folks to only post once in a while, but when we don't hear from people, many of us find ourselves wondering what those folks have been up to recently and how their dogs are doing.

It's always preferable to post updates about your Cushing's dog in your own thread/topic (especially if you want feedback/replies from other members) but you can also post a quick reply here if you just want to say hi and let everyone know how you are doing in general.

We'd love to hear from you! :)

BestBuddy
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
It's been a while since I did a monthly check in so here goes.

Lucky the horse is still in retirement because I don't think my body will let me ride again. He is on his own and has been for a while but there are horses next door that he talks to over the fence and he seems quite happy with his life at the moment.

Joey had an eye ulcer that was probably caused by Luke scratching it. It's been 3 weeks of drops, tablets and ointments but we got the all clear last night so that is good. He is well and happy and still follows Luke everywhere.

Luke is Luke. I love him to bits but he has an attention span of a gnat. He is very trainable when "he" feels like it. I have stopped the agility with him over our winter as he hates the cold wet grass and I am not that keen on it either. My husband keeps telling me that you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear so we may stay in retirement as we have probably gotten as far as we can with that training.

See you in Show Low-less than 3 weeks:D

Jenny

Mackey's Mom
09-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi all...wanted to give an update on Max (Big Mackey). According to his most recent LDDS test (done by his new vet) he is still in remission from Cushing's. The test was "inconclusive" so the vet called the lab and spoke at length with them about it, and they said they would consider his test results "normal." So, they say things happen for a reason, right? Well Max is having problems with his rear legs/weakness/etc. The vet thinks it is due to a spinal issue, because he turned his left (and weaker) foot under and Max did nothing to correct it. BUT because he is now testing "normal" for Cushing's, he feels (and the lab agreed) that it would be safe to try him on a steroidal anti-inflammatory (with frequent follow-up). Without this unusual remission from Cushing's, Max would not be able to take this new medication for his spine problem, which may make it possible for him to get around better and without discomfort.

Max is such a trouper. He keeps going, is always happy, no matter what. I can no longer take him hiking, which is sad for him and for me, but he goes "floating" in the pool and lake. When I take his brother and sister hiking, my hubby spends special time with Max eating treats (his favorite thing to do :D and watching TV or going for a ride in the car.

Hope everyone is well; and if not well, then trying to stay optimistic, and filling your life with love from (and for) your Cush pups.

Hugs,
Lori and Maxwell Joseph (aka Big Mackey) :)

Maya
09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi Guys! Just checking in on you all. Had a mega busy and life changing couple of weeks. The pooch is doing great! Hope you are all well and doing fine.
God bless you all and keep your little furry babes well and strong!
Hugs from Leah and Maya:)