PDA

View Full Version : Happy Father's Day

LabDad
06-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Happy Father's Day to our male dogs with Cushing's Disease! And to all you normal dog guys, too!:cool:

addy
06-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes, Happy Father's Day to all our Dads!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hugs,
Addy, Zoe and Koko

Squirt's Mom
06-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Happy Father's Day to all our dads!

lulusmom
06-19-2011, 09:45 PM
My sister wrote this for our dad before he passed away in 1985 and I wanted to share it with you.

My Captain

Our lives are like a stormy sea, by waves we are tossed and thrown.
But on this sea of life we sail our mistakes are not ours alone.

Children, like ships, may go off course and drift to troubled waters.
But charts guide ships that sail the seas like fathers guide their daughters.

We sometimes hurt the ones we love; the ones that mean the world.
We try to sail a straight, straight line but by life's tide we're hurled.

When life's storms have come to end, and we set our sails anew;
A crew still needs a captain to see the voyage through.

And so you see dear father, you're my beacon in the night.
Your wisdom charts my voyage, your love provides the light.

No ship has sailed this sea of life with a skipper more tried and true.
I'm glad I made the voyage, and I'm glad my captain was you!

Ginger Simpson

BestBuddy
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Glynda, That was just beautiful. It's just the way I think of my dad who passed 10 years ago.

My only regret is that I didn't have enough time to show him how much he meant to me.

He was my hero.

Jenny

lulusmom
06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Jen, I have so many regrets. I wish I had taken the time to sit down with my dad and ask him all of the questions that are in my head today. So many things I would have done differently, so many things I would have said and I would give anything to get a redo of the last day I saw my dad alive. He was in ill health for a very long time and the last time I saw him, I felt like I was getting sick with the flu so my last words to him were; "I'll see ya later dad. I'd give you a kiss but I think I'm getting sick and I don't want you to get it". He died suddenly of respiratory failure hours later. I so wish I had given him a kiss goodbye. :(

addy
06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Oh Glynda, it is a beautiful poem and I was saying to my hubby how much I miss my dad because I could always go to him and he would give me advice. I miss that so. He was my beacon. I often stare at the sky and ask him for help, still.

Why, we were at the cemetery before I started Zoe on her treatment and I was telling my dad about Zoe while I tidied up his grave. My hubby said, "Dad is sending you an answer look behind you." I looked and the tombstone behind me said PETERSON. Now, I know it means nothing and I should not be superstitious, but I can't forget that, with all the names in that cemetery. I choose to believe it was more than a fluke.:):) It makes me happy.

I am sorry that your last memory of your dad is upsetting for you but you had no way of knowing at the time,

Hugs,
addy

lulusmom
06-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Addy, I believe that either the big guy upstairs was working in mysterious ways or your dad was trying to tell you something. Either way, I am glad it brings you comfort.

The last memory of my dad that I held in my head was the day before he died; however, after all this time, the memories I will always hold in my heart is his booming voice and the sound of his big belly laughs after delivering the punch line of a joke. He really was his own best audience but he could tell a joke like nobody's business. I remember his love of opera and being awestruck by his beautiful voice when he used to sing along with Enrico Caruso or Mario Lanza. I remember him as being my security blanket whenever I was sick or just needed help with life's problems that seemed overwhelming at the time. My dad is the most intelligent man I've ever met in my life and I don't suspect he will be surpassed in this lifetime. The one thing I remember more than anything else is what he always used to say when I answered his phone call. He would say" Hi, this is your sweet daddy" ......and that he was.