PDA

View Full Version : It's a boy!!!!!! - Brick has crossed The Bridge

Pages : [1] 2

Squirt's Mom
03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi ya'll,

Got to share some good news with everyone! I am going to be a new mom again! :D:D:D This time it's a little blind boy who the shelter has named "Brick". A rather solid name for a 4 pounder, huh? LOL That may change but we will have to see if he likes his name now or if he responds better to different sounds. Having a name he is comfortable with is important!

He is a Chihuahua, about 7-10 yrs old, and probably lost his sight due to an attack as his head has some scarring. This is what the vet that checked him out thinks is probable anyway. All reports are that he is the sweetest thing ever! However, he is not adjusting well to being blind. Whether that is because it recently happened or he just isn't handling it well isn't known yet. But I think he will in time with a little help. I have looked into some things that might help him get around safely and found the Angelvest which looks promising. You can see it here:

http://angelvest.homestead.com/

Doggles or a mesh eye wear will also be needed to protect his eyes outside. I have joined a couple of blind dog forums so I can learn more about how to help him adjust so he will have a life he enjoys in spite of his lack of vision. I have learned here the value of connecting with experts. ;)

I have posted his shelter pic in my albums so you can see his precious little face. (That chain is unreal, huh!? :eek: ) If things go according to the current plans, we will go pick him up in St. Louis next week and bring him home. :D:D Then I will post some more pics of him.

Once again, I am so honored that we were chosen to take this little guy. I am very excited and really looking forward to life with "Brick"! I hope before long, he is just as excited to be here with us!

Hugs,
Leslie and growing gang!

PS. I am taking a much needed break from the forum to sort out some things (everyone is doing just great!) and will be back soon but I just HAD to share this with my family!

labblab
03-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Oh Leslie, my heart is bursting for you all!!!! Next week cannot come soon enough! I will keep your baby boy in my prayers in hopes that he'll soon be safely tucked in your arms (I just looked at his picture and he's already wormed his way into my heart :o :)).

In the meantime, many hugs to you and the girls!
Marianne

Bichonluver3
03-10-2011, 01:11 PM
WOW, WOW, and YAAAYY!!!
OMG, Leslie, that is the most adorable little face. You two are so blessed to have found each other. All our love and best wishes to your little family. Please keep us updated. He will fit right in with your other beauties!!!
Love and hugs,
Carrol

lulusmom
03-10-2011, 02:34 PM
To make it easier to see Brick's picture without going to Leslie's Profile, I've attached it.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to let you all know that I am very grateful to Leslie for wanting to adopt this adorable baby. She saw him on facebook and told me that she knew an old lady in Arkansas who would be a great mom. I asked who that would be and the rest is history. :D Normally, I wouldn't think of sending a blind dog out of state but we're not talking about just anybody in another state and we're not talking about sending Leslie's little boy with just any Tom, Dick or Harry. He is being flown by a wonderful flight attendant based out of Arizona, who wants to remain anonymous. She's flown a lot of tiny and special needs Chi's to new parents so I feel comfortable that Brick will be in great hands and when she hands him over to Leslie, he will be in even greater hands. Brick is going to be a jet setter for a few days. He leaves California on Monday and will be meeting his new mom in St Louis on Tuesday. Hey isn't there a musical called Meet in St Louis? :D

Brick appears to have Horner's Syndrome caused by head trauma. We think he was mauled by a bigger dog as his head has what appears to be a lot of recent scarring. Not all the scabs were totally healed so just to make sure, we had a skin scrape done to rule out mites. It was negative. He has a luxated patella which the vet popped back in and couldn't pop back out. He's probably had it all of his life and the vet didn't recommend surgery to correct it. His heart sounds great and x-rays show it as being great as well as everything else. The vet said his bones look younger than 10 as there is absolutely no sign of arthritis anywhere. The eye you can see in his picture is sunken in and the pupil of his right eye is totally constricted. Both are common with Horner's. I think this was a recent occurrence and his owner simply didn't want to deal with him or help him deal with his blindness. He is not adept like Trinket and does not yet sense things that he is going to bump into but he's already learned to navigate a lot better in our kitchen and family room. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to reverse the damage but it is also not a death sentence. Brick can live out a nice long life with his new mom and sisters. When they say dogs live in the day, I think they were talking about Brick. His tail never stops wagging and he is bound and determined to find his way in life and in whatever room he happens to be in. He'll stop at nothing to get to you and the closer he gets, the faster the tail wags and the more excited he becomes. He is an awesome little guy. :D

I pulled Brick with two other little ones. One of the other's is Marvin, also an adorable tiny Chi. Apparently his owner didn't want to deal with the huge mass on his abdomen and he ended up in a vet kennel next to Brick at the shelter. I wasn't planning on bailing him out but he was so darn cute, I couldn't leave him behind knowing that his odds of being euthanized were huge and neither could my friend who was campaigning hard to get Brick out of the shelter. We had the mass removed yesterday and we could really use some prayers. I am hoping and praying that it is benign so he can go to his new family in San Diego. If it's malignant, Gil said we can keep him and let him live out whatever time he has left with us. We'll have the results in 5 to 7 days.

Harley PoMMom
03-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Huge hugs to you, Leslie!!!! And Brick!! He is ADORABLE!!!!

Tons of prayers being said and sent for sweet Marvin.

Both Glynda and Leslie, you are the best!!!...love you both very much!!!!Lori

BestBuddy
03-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Hi Leslie,

I am constantly in awe of your kindness (and Glynda and the other rescuers). I see the pics of these pups in need and feel sad for just a moment and then it sinks in that they are the lucky ones who have been saved by angels.

Brick is a cutie and he will thrive in your care. I am just so proud to "know" you. And yes that chain should stop hm from getting away.:rolleyes:

Jenny

addy
03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
How special little Brick is and even more special Leslie and Glynda.

Saying prayers all goes well.:)

Hugs,
Addy

sunimist
03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
The "Awesome Twosome" does it again! You two are amazing and I love you both!

Brick is so very very precious and I know he will have the best forever home in the world. I can just visualize Trink flirting with him.
Congratulations Leslie on the new arrival. So happy for you. Can't wait for more pictures with his new sisters.

Little Marvin will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery and benign test results. God bless you Glynda, my inspiration!

((((BIG HUGS TO ALL))))

Shelba and Suni~~

bernie47
03-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Oh Leslie, what can i say ...you and Glynda deserve nothing but praise , for the never ending work you do ..love this little boy ''brick''.. but i think he looks more like a ''Rico'' ...and i am sure Trinket and Squirt will welcome another member to their home..:)..I can see one big happy dance and a few
cha cha cha s ... :D..coming your way ...( hugs ) Catherine & Natcho .

lulusmom
03-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Here's another pic of Brick taking it easy on the couch, listening to American Idol. :D As you can see, Brick has the same problem Otis had. His sheath seems not to cover his penis at times so I already told Leslie that she needs to keep it lubed up. :p You can see the scarring on the top of his head in this picture and his other eye that is not shrunken.

Bichonluver3
03-12-2011, 11:28 AM
He is precious!!!

lulusmom
03-12-2011, 11:53 AM
He is precious and he looks like a big boy sitting on the sofa but he is actually very teeny weeny.

Bichonluver3
03-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Teeny weeny is GOOD! Good things come in small packages (just made that up - lol)

Leslie, I'm sorry to use your happy thread for this but I need your help.
Since my Sparky's he is a nine yo newly diagnosed diabetic & Chloe's brother) surgery, I think he is losing or has lost his sight. He is bumping into things although he is wearing an e-collar. But he has trouble finding his food dish and no longer pokes his head through the window shutters like the other dogs. He just stands in the hall. His eyes have a blue-gray look to them. However, he still finds his way up onto the back of the sofa to nap.
The sight thing is probably my fault because I didn't get his diet/insulin worked out faster.:(

Casey's Mom
03-12-2011, 10:47 PM
How could that little one have such a chain on him?? Love to Leslie and to you Glynda - you are true angels on this earth.

Squirt's Mom
03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi ya'll,

Well, tomorrow is the day we will head out to get Brick and bring him home! I am so excited! I can't wait to hold him and tell him he is home for good!

He will be quite tired and probably pretty confused by the time I get him. He is going to work with Gil tomorrow, then picked up by the lady who is flying with him and taken to her home for the nite. Then he will fly out with her and end up with us sometime Tues. for the trip back home. We will all be tired by the time we get here but we can cuddle and rest all we want after!

Glynda says he is learning his name quite well and, truthfully, I have grown accustomed to thinking of him as "Brick" so unless there is some strong evidence it needs to change, he will remain Brick. He's just so darn CUTE!!! :D

I want to thank ya'll for your kind words but the truth of the matter is Glynda is the true hero. She actively looks for babies in need and takes them in no matter their condition. She cares for them in her own home, mostly with her own funds. Soooo many times she has been the only kindness these precious souls have ever known, not to mention the only time they have ever felt unconditional love. She nurses them back to health and finds ONLY the most perfect homes for them if possible. If a perfect home isn't available, they stay with her and Gil for the remainder of their days, no matter how long or challenging that may be. Glynda is a true hero, a true champion.

Me? I'm just a sucker and it doesn't take any depth of character to be a sucker! ;):) You can see one coming a mile away! :D BUT I am a very blessed sucker to be allowed to live with such precious souls as Trinket and Brick, as well as many others, and I dearly hope the blessings continue all the days of my life. There is something extra special about special babies and they always give much more than they ever take.

I have got a million things to do today so we can leave tomorrow so I better get busy!

Hugs,
Leslie and our baby boy, Brick

Squirt's Mom
03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
I spoke with the lady who is flying Brick in and she will be arriving in St Louis around 2pm tomorrow. So I have decided to get up very early in the morning and head out, allowing 8 1/2 hrs for the 6 1/2 hr drive that MapQuest says it is. I had thought to spend tonite there and head back after picking him up but since it is going to the afternoon when he gets in, staying tomorrow nite might be best. I know he is going to be exhausted and the girls will have been in the car all day so they will be tired, too, and Squirt probably stiff. I will just have to see how everyone is once Brick is with us. I would prefer to get him on to the environment he will call home asap to keep his confusion to a minimum but pushing us all past our limits wouldn't be good.

The friend that was going to ride with me has had something come up and won't be able to go after all. Which means I am going to have to work out what to do with the girls while in the airport getting Brick. If it is cool and cloudy, I can make myself leave them in the car for that length of time BUT if it is sunny - well, that is a BIG problem for me. The flight attendant has to turn right around and get back on another flight within 40 mins. of landing so she is really cramped for time as it is. I can't ask her to change the plan that works for her - she is SUCH an angel for doing this for us! I am going to call the St. Louis airport today and see if there is someplace we can park that is close to the security area she will come out to. At the Memphis airport they have lanes by the various airline doorways where you can park for short periods. There are airport personnel all over the area there, too, directing folks and helping with baggage, etc. I am hoping St. Louis has a similar area. If not, well, I can be fairly creative and downright bullheaded when needed. My girls WILL be safe while we pick up their brother! If Squirt was just a little bit smaller, they would go into a big bag on my shoulder and take a secret tour of the airport. Of course, I would get caught because neither one of them would keep their heads down! LOL

This is going to be a grand adventure all around! I get totally flustered in big city traffic, airports are all mass confusion to my eyes, and the excitement level is already quite high!

I was thinking last nite about the last time I took a trip to get a new family member - Trink. What a WONDERFUL time that was! Not only getting to meet and hold her finally, but there was Glynda, her sweet mom and aunt, John, Pattee, and all the babies. I wish there were several of ya'll along the way this trip so we could meet in person, too.

So I will be around today and if I stop tomorrow nite I will check in to let ya'll know how it is going. If not, I will be back here sometime Wed. with our precious baby boy! I can't imagine that two babies have ever been more loved by more people than Trinket and Brick!

Hugs,
Leslie and Brick

Squirt's Mom
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-tbR94s11g

lulusmom
03-14-2011, 01:09 PM
All went well this morning at 6:40 when Gil handed Brick over to Dehx. I got a call from Dehx and as expected, she is smitten with Brick. She wasn't aware how tiny he is. She has a 3 lb Chi herself so when she says she doesn't think he weighs 4 lbs, I believe her. He feels like most of my tiny boys and girl. Lambert is 3.5 lbs, Rocco and Lulu are 4.5 lbs and Marvin is 4.6 lbs. Sorry but I can't tell the difference between 4lbs and 3.5 lbs. It must have been the vet's scale because I know that he hasn't lost any weight with me. He cleans his bowl and usually helps my eat my baked chicken every other day. I'm on a diet and am just about sick of chicken. :D

Dehx found an x-small sweater that fits him perfectly so he'll be nice and warm on the plane, plus she is sending a second one with him. She's snapping photos and doing a video right now which will be posted on facebook. She is tagging me so those of you who are my fb friends, you can check it out on my wall.

The second leg takes place in just a few hours when Dehx hands Brick over to our wonderful flight attendant at John Wayne Airport in Orange County. I found out some very good news this morning about our flight attendant. She's flown a lot of teeny tinies and has taken pictures of them wrapped up in blankets on the seats and with the pilots. Brick is not fond of crates so I am thrilled that he will not only not have to stay crated but I just found out that there is room in first class. So our guy will be riding in style tomorrow and hopefully, we'll have some inflight pictures. Safe travels, Leslie, Trinket, Squirt and Brickie!

Squirt's Mom
03-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Here are those videos of our little boy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDJUGJ5y9xQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd1VzUb7YaA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2diRy0goSq8&feature=player_embedded

I wanna get him NOW! :D:D:D

Bichonluver3
03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Well, Brink deserves ONLY first class:D. We are so excited for you, Leslie, that this precious soul will be joining your furry family. Give Brick a big kiss & hug from us (Well, not too big 'cuz he is just teeny tiny!!)
All our love and best wishes to you all.

The Blind Dog’s Poem

I cannot see you Mom, when you cuddle me so near.

And yet I know you love me, it's in the words I hear.

I cannot see you Mom, when you hold me by your side

but still I know you love me when you tell me so with pride.

I cannot see to run and play out in the sun so bright

For here inside my soft furred head it's always dark as night.

I cannot see the treats you give when I am extra good

but I can wag my tail in thanks just like a good dog should.

"He cannot see. The dogs no good" is what some folks might say

"he can't be trained, he'll never learn, he must be put away."

But not you, my special Mom, You know that it's alright

Because I love you just as much as any dog with sight.

You took me in, you gave me love and we will never part

maybe I'm blind within my eyes, but I still see you in my heart

God bless you, Leslie. You are a real angel.
Love & hugs,
Carrol

lulusmom
03-14-2011, 02:49 PM
OMG Carrol, I've been teary all morning since saying goodbye to Brick and that beautiful poem just sent me over the edge. I'm definitely going to share it with Brick's other benefactors. Thank you.

Mackey's Mom
03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
I just finished reading this thread, and that poem sent me over the edge too! What a wonderful happy-ending for this wonderful little boy...what would the world be like without angels like yourselves.

I've been doing rescue for 11+ years, and stories like this one never, ever get old. :o

lulusmom
03-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Lori, it's nice to meet a fellow rescuer. Do you have a house full of furbutts too? When people ask me where I live, I tell them in a kennel. :D

I just got a call from Dehx and Brick has done it again. She had him for five whole hours and was attached already. She got all teared up when she had to say goodbye at the airport. I believe our guy is winging his way to Arizona with a lovely lady who is also smitten. Brick the heartbreaker. :D

Squirt's Mom
03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh, Carrol, thank you so much for sharing that beautiful poem. I was bawling my eyes out by the last line! Every mom and dad of a blind baby should read this at least once! And so should those who throw them away. I've got to share that on Trinket's FB page....Brick will have a page of his own soon, too!

After two hours of trying to understand a lady who works in customer service for airline that Brick is flying in on and make myself understood to absolutely no avail, I gave up and called security. If you want to know where something is in an airport, call security! They told me where to park to be closest to this airlines security area, and how to get there. The route is mapped out and written down so I know which exits to look for. The truck is full of gas and cash has been obtained. Now to pack some thing for all of us, throw that in the truck, feed the girls supper and try to go to sleep early - RIGHT! :p

I keep looking at his videos over and over just oooing and aahing. :) With a bit of luck, we will all be together at last this time tomorrow and I can look at him in person! :D:cool:

Hugs,
Leslie and Brick

BestBuddy
03-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Leslie,

I am so excited for you. I can't wait to hear you have Brick in your arms, what a lucky little boy.

Jenny

mypuppy
03-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Leslie,
I have no words to describe you and what you and a few others here do to make such a meaningful impact on so many precious babies in desperate need of a home and plain old love. You are amazing! I wish you much joy with the new little boy. Warmest regards, tight hugs and much love to you, Squirt, Trinket and Now Brink. Xo Jeanette and the Princess

lulusmom
03-14-2011, 06:10 PM
UPDATE: Brick arrived in Arizona and is spending the night with his personal flight attendant near the airport. The latest report is that he slept during the entire flight to Arizona and he now has another woman who wants to keep him all to herself.

Squirt's Mom
03-14-2011, 06:31 PM
awww.....so glad to know he made it safe to AZ and can rest up a bit for the flight tomorrow....if his newest conquest will let him, that is! :p

We are ready to go other than putting the things in the bags we will use in the morning. Squirt and Trink have had their supper and been out to potty. So I am going to shut the computer down, pack it in it's case, crawl in bed and at least rest a bit. I hope to be on the road no later than 4:30am....bright tailed and bushy eyed! :p

I will be in touch as soon as possible! Til then -

Many hugs to all,
Leslie and Brick, our little Lover Boy! :p

addy
03-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Whew, relief, none of you are in St Louis today with the bad weather.

BIG SIGH OF RELIEF

Just got home and need to read all of the threads and watch the videos.

Stay safe driving, Leslie.

Hugs,
Addy

Mackey's Mom
03-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Glynda,
Three x-large pups is all my hubby can handle (and my wallet as well)!:D

I have friends that foster for me as our 7-year-old "baby" won't tolerate another dog in the house other than his brother and sister. I do what I can when I can...have 2 I'm working with right now.

My family doctor asked me last week if I knew of any "houndish" dogs that needed a home, as they had recently lost their old boy. I just about fell off the exam table!! I ran home and faxed him a picture of a young Blue Tick Hound mix boy who has been waiting forever for a home...and I'm bringing him to their home for a visit tomorrow evening.

My house and truck are covered in hair, and toys, and leashes, but I wouldn't have it any other way!:)

lulusmom
03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Lori, I took a baby for a meet and greet last night and it was love at first sight. Hopefully your meeting tonight will go just as well. I love it when fate steps in and you can make a dog and a family very happy. I had one foster leave yesterday morning and one last night and there are two very happy families today. It was a tearful day for me but a great day for two very lucky boys. I wish I had more foster parents but I only have one who can only do one dog at a time. She has a sweet little senior Maltese with nary a tooth in her head, a bad heart and pretty bad arthritis. Her name is Gracie Mae and my friend, Brenda, saved her life by agreeing to foster. We'll try to find her a home but chances are she is going to be a permanent foster.

I have a third very lucky boy, Marvin, who has not yet found a family but nothing can stop us now because we found out today that the mass that was removed from his abdomen last Wednesday is a benign tumor called a testicular seminoma. Thank you all for your prayers. They were heard.

I received news that Brick is with Leslie now. Hopefully, she'll check in soon and let us know how things are going.

Bichonluver3
03-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Glynda, you are THE BEST. Thank God for folks like you - not only for what you do for rescue dogs but also for those of us who really need your help. I don't know how you find the time but I am truly grateful you do.
Love,
Carrol

Bichonluver3
03-15-2011, 05:58 PM
OK, Leslie........WHERE ARE PICTURES OF THE BOY!!!!!!! You're a-cuddlin' and we're a-waitin'.:D

Bichonluver3
03-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Posting the poem was my pleasure. It was also very therapeutic for me (regarding Sparky). The light in the heart is way bigger than the light in the eyes. I am still searching to see if I can find out who wrote it.
Carrol

lulusmom
03-15-2011, 10:18 PM
I spoke to Leslie and she asked that I let you know that all is well and she, Trinket, Squirt and Brick are checked into a motel for the night. Brick and Trinket are already curled up next to each other asleep. Apparently, pretty much ignore each other but Squirt and Brick gripe at each other. Everybody needs an adjustment period.

Leslie was losing the internet signal and could not get a post done before losing the connection so she called me. I'm sure she'll give us all the details tomorrow.

lulusmom
03-16-2011, 12:09 AM
I just got the recap on Brick's plane trip today and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. This little dog has touched a whole lot of people in the last couple of days.

When I got to the airport this morning there was one seat left in 1st class but it was on an aisle and I knew it would be impossible to sneak him out and on my lap so I told them I would take a window in coach instead... well the 2 women seated next to me were nuns and they thought he was the cutest thing they had ever seen.. I had him on my lap under a blanket and the nun next to me asked if she could hold him, I told her he really wasnt supposed to be out of his crate and she said "oh I must hold him Ill hide him under the blanket like you are doing.." I was cracking up.. Guess I expected them to be rule followers!!!

Anyway they both took turns holding him and when we were getting off the plane she gave him a little blessing and gave me a St Francis of Assisi pendant How cool is that? He is the patron saint of animals & the environment. That Brick is one special dog!!!

Roxee's Dad
03-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Very cool story Glynda, always so nice to hear the happiness that our dogs often bring to strangers. BTW, I was named (middle name) after St Francis. I always try to live up to it.

Leslie, can't wait to get the whole scoop and pictures of Brick and your adventures. Hmmm. can't say Leslie and the girls anymore, maybe the adventures of Leslie and her fur butts :);)

marie adams
03-16-2011, 12:41 AM
You two are the most wonderful people!!!!

Congrats Leslie!!!:):):):):):):):)

Bichonluver3
03-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey, WE always knew that Brick was special.
Leslie, as I am helping my newly blind little guy adjust, I will think of you & Brick. St Francis was obviously looking out for him. He arranged for 2 angels to find him. God bless you and your little family always.
Love, hugs and tears of happiness,
Carrol

Squirt's Mom
03-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi Ya'll!

We are home and all in one piece! :D Brick is the sweetest little man! :D He is quite affectionate, wanting to always be near - touching is, in fact, just perfect! If, for some reason only Heaven could know, that isn't possible then he makes sure you know he is within easy reach by thumping and stomping around, head held up so you can see his precious face and have even less reason to decline picking him up, tail wagging so fast it's a blur. :p When you give in and pick him - and, of course, you will - he is so excited he just squirms and wiggles, kissing and rubbing, til he finds the sweet spot in your arms and he curls up, content at last that you finally have what you want - a precious little man in your arms. His mission complete, he will snooze a bit now. :p

When we met at the airport, I got choked up when I saw his Flight Angel strolling down the walkway with him in her arms, although "strolling" implies a pleasurable walk and I think she was as sad as she was happy. Happy he had a home that already loved him, that his life was safe but sad that he was soon to leave her arms, not to return. She transfer Brick to my arms, tucking his blanket around him securely after I hugged her neck for her selfless act of bringing him to me. We talked briefly, as she had to turn right around and get back on the flight back home. I raised my head from looking at him in my arms only to find huge tears rolling down his Flight Angel's cheeks as she said her goodbyes. Yep, another woman left in tears from having her life touched by this teeny heart as big as the universe. For one so, so small he has such immense power to touch souls.

The story of the nuns made me sob. I am not sure those ladies really knew just how badly he needs such blessings. Whether his problems are from the trauma of the attack or not, I fear Brick has more serious problems. I know he has sustained nerve damage; when I touch the left side of his neck, the left side of his face spasms, pulling his mouth down and back, his eye pulled closed. Glynda had told me one of his patellas was luxated and the vet had a hard time putting it back in place. Xrays didn't show a real problem with his knees either. In the motel Tues. nite, I observed him moving around and could see his right back leg moving oddly. My first thought was that the knee DID luxate and luxate badly as I could see it bowing out dramatically. But the more I watched I realized it wasn't the knee that was popping out causing the leg to bow but instead looked to be the hock popping in and out. Ok, so I now learn about hock problems - no big deal.

Then last nite after we got home I set about getting supper ready for them. As they ate, I sat on a stool and just watched to make sure no one got nosy about what someone else had on their plate. Brick's back was to me. I noticed his right front paw slowing turning over so that he ended up with the top of the toes on the floor. Then that leg started stiffening and pulling back and under him. At the same time, the back right leg stiffened and started sliding up and under him. All at once, the two legs sort of SNAPPED! and he flipped off his feet onto his side. He couldn't get his feet back under him so I helped him back upright. He went right back to his plate and started eating. Within a few seconds, there that right front paw went, turning over again while the back was drawing forward. They didn't snap and flip him again but over and over they would stiffen and draw toward each other til he was standing with his weight on the left side and his little body curled in a C shape. He got to finish eating before I picked him up, put him in the bed with me and I soaked him in tears. Being blind is enough to ask of one so tiny but to add neurological problems/damage seems so unfair.

I called Dr. Sessions in TN first thing this morning (Squirt's IMS when we were there) and told him what I knew and what I had observed. He feels Brick probably sustained brain damage from the attack. :( Tests could be done that might determine if this is the cause of what I am seeing but unless he starts to have seizures there isn't much that can be done - that type of damage can't be reversed. He also said that is there is damage the stress of the last week or so could make the signs worsen.

So for now I am going to give him a few weeks to settle in and adjust to his new home. I want to build up some strength in him without adding much weight to his frame. He could use gaining a few ounces, tho. Most importantly, I want him to understand this is his last stop - no more cold cages, no more noises in the night that scare him with nothing to give him comfort, no more having to pee and poop where he sleeps and eats, no more loneliness. I want him to know that I am his people, Squirt and Trink are his dogs and where ever we are, he is home - always and always and always.

Right now, Brick is walking around on my chest, making typing very difficult to say the least! :p So we are going outside for a few minutes then we will be back and start cleaning up the mess from our trip.

I forgot my camera so I will get some pics and post them for you in the next day or so. He is so CUTE!!!! :D:D A teeny, tiny red gazelle that barks! LOL :p

Hugs!
Leslie and Mister Brickman

Bichonluver3
03-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Our Dearest Angel Leslie,

Home, at last, home at last,
Thank God, the Brickster is home at last!

I think you are absolutely right to let the little guy settle in before assessing the true situation and arranging what he may need.

You could even communicate with vet neurologists, various vet schools, acupuncturists and therapists etc by email or phone to get a real picture of what the "cutting edge" of neurological research has found. And, at that time, we all will happily help with the research. :)

These are God's real miracles - the little souls that tragedy or misfortune has touched but still live on, their only mission to love and be loved.

For all those you have helped in the past, for those you are helping now and for those who may come into your future, on their behalf, I say "Thank you, Mom, you are the BEST!!"

I look forward to hearing more of the ongoing saga of Brick and his sisters. Some days are better than others and this has certainly been one of the happy ones for me knowing little Brick is home:D

Love, kisses and hugs to you and your furbabies.
Carrol, Chloe, sparky & Grover (and the turtles!!)

Mackey's Mom
03-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Oh boy, Leslie...that post made me tear up at work. What a special boy he is, to still have such love in his heart after all he's been through. And you...you are a special person in deed.

Glynda, our home visit went well, he's staying for a mandatory 2-week trial placement. I called last night and everything is going great. This is a hound boy, who was a stray and languished in an Indiana shelter, came to NYS rescue, where he has waited for over 6 months for a family. Sometimes I think these thinks are meant to be; that, or there are an awful lot of coincidences in life. I prefer to think they are meant to be. :)

Blessings to little Brick...

Lori

lulusmom
03-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Leslie, I have no idea what happened between the time Brick left me and he got to you but I watched him like a hawk and I never saw the neuro problem you are mentioning. I am absolutely devastated by this news and had I seen even one of those problems, he never would have left my home. Aside from being blind and having one leg that bowed out a bit, I believe the leg with the luxated patella, he was fine. The vet did not have a problem popping the knee back in..he had a problem popping back out so he wasn't concerned about it. I am at a loss for words right now and upset beyond belief.

addy
03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Leslie your post made me cry too, bittersweet tears.

Is it at all possible the flight just caused a temporary problem and it will stop? It could be.

He is so precious, a little angel.

Thanking Leslie and Glynda for all the pups they help.

Love,
Addy

BestBuddy
03-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi Leslie,

Such sweet and bitter news all at once.

Lets hope that the stress of the last few days has been the cause of these strange symptoms in Brick and in a few weeks of your loving care it all goes away.

Jenny

Squirt's Mom
03-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi ya'll,

Alright now, maybe ya'll missed the first part of the post? ;) Brick is happy, loving and not in the least bothered by his problems - whatever they may be. :) He has spent most of the day following me around as I tidied up, roaming around outside with the girls and on his own (with Mom in tow, of course! :D ), he has poked and squirmed into every nook and cranny he could find, talked back to the dogs in the area that he heard, gone "hunting" for neat new sounds and smells all with that tail wagging to beat the band! He has met the family, other than our college girl, to boot. Tristan is smitten with him and I think the feeling is mutual! He even anointed Mark and Carolyn's bedroom carpet for them! :p

I have watched him a lot today and I am about half convinced part of his problem is structural - the little booger looks double-jointed in both front and back legs. At times, it's almost as if they are made of rubber. I have taken numerous videos today but most of them he is moving too fast to really see what I am talking about but in the last one this afternoon, he was trying to get a good sniff of Trink so he was moving much slower. You can see the back legs, especially the right one, bowing way out then back in. You can also see the hocks straighten as he walks.

http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx168/girffie/?action=view&current=115.mp4

You can also see this doesn't phase him at all! He is just as happy as can be. He does eventually decide Trink isn't going to cooperate so he heads to the woods to check out that neat new buzzing over there! :p

What you should have seen was him climbing a chain-linked fence! :eek: We have a pen that is about 6'x8' and I thought what a great place - he would be outside in the sun and air while I could garden or whatever and not worry. WRONG!! He explored the pen, found out he was contained and started climbing like a monkey! So for that to work, I will have to do some modifying to say the least. :D

We didn't get much sleep last nite - I am not at all comfortable with him loose on the bed and blocking with pillows and blankets didn't deter him in the least last nite! I put his harness back on and tied his lead to my wrist but Trink kept getting tangled up so that didn't work. Next I got a tote and put it on the table thingy by the bed with a towel and his blanket in it - he stayed in that for as long as it took me to lay back down. Around 4am, I went out to the truck and got his carry case, put it on the table thingy by the bed with his blanket in it and he went sound to sleep. :rolleyes: At 7, Squirt and Trink were up wondering why we were so tired. :p So tonite we do the carry case first thing and that is going to be fairly soon! ;)

All and all, I am quite pleased with his first day home....and very much in love with our little Brick!

Hugs,
Leslie and Brick

lulusmom
03-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Oops, I forgot to tell you about that climbing thing. We have a baby gate between the living and family rooms and darned if I didn't come downstairs and find Brick up the first three steps of the stairs. We couldn't figure out how he was getting between the bars of the gate because we put plastic netting over it to prevent that. He got through three times and the last time, we went upstairs but snuck back down and watched him. That little booger climbed the netting and over he went. I was there to break his fall that time but my heart sank when I thought about what could have happened but didn't the other times. I think he is part monkey. :D I zigzagged an X-pen in front of the gate and that stopped the acrobatics.

Bichonluver3
03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
OMG, Leslie....you didn't get a dog, you got a monkey!!!!
How funny is that?? And, I am with you. Little Brick will do just fine and with all his godparents on this forum, how could he not? Hope you & Tink get more sleep tonight.
(Psst, Brick, sleep tight in your tote, little prince:D)
Love & Hugs,
Carrol

zoesmom
03-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Welcome to your new home, Brick. You couldn't have asked for a better place (read: better Mama). I know there will be challenges ahead, but trust in your new mama and your new siblings. They will be looking out for you and all will be good from here on out. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Sue

Squirt's Mom
03-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi ya'll,

I have some news on our little man. After observing him for a few days, I decided I wanted Dr. B to just watch him move to see if he could tell me whether the things I have seen are nerve damage from the attack or if he had structural issues - he looks to be completely double-jointed!

It has been a long day and I am basically lazy, so I am going to copy and paste an email I sent to the ladies who rescued and delivered Brick telling what I learned today. I have talked to Glynda by phone.

Well, I took Brick to see Dr. B this morning and got a diagnosis. I just talked to Glynda and wanted to let ya'll know what I've learned. Brick has hydrocephalus and some nerve damage. He went blind a while ago from the fluid pressure, not from the attack. Dr. B said his eyes are dead - no sign of rods, injury, nothing in there at all. Brick has two pockets of fluid in the skull just over the eyes and had probably had this from birth, if not the womb. Dr. B also said he is probably 10-13 yrs old so he is starting to show more signs of pressure. He said there is really nothing to do for it unless I choose to put shunts in, and I am not going to do that. If he starts to have seizures then we can use pheno to help. Corticosteroids can sometimes help, but not always and with the side effects of those, I have elected not to use them just now either. I have started him on some good Omega 3's, Vitamin E and glucosamine to help protect his little joints as his coordination is not good at all. His odd movements are caused by the hydrocephalus. The stronger signs I was seeing Tues and Wed were probably due to the flights - the cabin pressure changed the pressure in his head. But, as I said earlier today, he has improved some. Which seems to say he is able to drain some of this fluid out or the signs would have remained and not decreased. The legs drawing up and the face spams are probably due to nerve damage along the neck from the attack. Dr. B said Brick is NOT in pain and is NOT aware anything is wrong with him. When I asked him what the prognosis is, he told me Brick could another 6 months or another 6 years, there is just no way to know. As tough as he is and as huge as his spirit is, I think he will be with us for a long time yet to come!

In doing some research on this condition today, I found a couple of studies on melatonin and one on the use of the antacid, Prilosec, for hydrocephalus. The Prilosec has been shown to cause a reduction in the amount of spinal fluid produced, reducing the amount that builds in the head tho they don't know how/why it works this way. Melatonin receptors are thought to be less and misplaced in patients with hydrocephalus so their bodies do not get enough melatonin. So these are two things I am going to research in more depth and talk to Dr. B about. I am a big believer in the value of nutriceuticals so Brick will also have a diet designed for him with all his medical history available in mind over the next few weeks.

I talked to a friend of mine today, actually my honorary son, about building a frame around my bed in the camper that hinges on one side so I can get in and out but Brick cannot climb over or fall out of. Until then, as much as it kills me, he is sleeping in his carry case for safety's sake. He stays on the bed until I need to sleep then he goes to his little bed. He is doing well in the case but I want him in the bed with the girls and me. I'm a sentimental ole slob, what can I say?

When Dr. B told me Brick has hydrocephalus, I just broke down and cried like a baby. He is such a sweet, loving little guy it just broke my heart. But Brick is as happy as can be and not bothered by any of this at all! I will keep ya'll updated; he will have his page set up on FB soon - I wanted to let ya'll and Glynda know his diagnosis before I posted anything public, tho.

I want to thank ya'll again for all you have done to save this little mans life and get him home to me and the girls. Thank you so much.

So, there you have it - Brick is a water baby...a precious, lovable, loving, strong-spirited, determined little water baby. And I love him.

Hugs,
Leslie and the Brickman

Bichonluver3
03-19-2011, 01:34 AM
We all love him, Leslie, with all our hearts. And we will help you and him in any way we can. You have positive news for us - little Brick is improving from his flight, there is the melatonin possibility to explore and the doctor did not say that there would problems anytime soon. Who is the canine neurology guru? Why not email him/her and get the latest research from the experts. And who knows what will be discovered tomorrow or next week? Also, you know the power of love. This is the first crack that Brick has had at a happy, forever home. It will do him more good than anything else in the world. And once he realizes what a truly great mom he has, he won't being going anywhere:D
He's got us all hooked. Things will be fine.
Love, hugs, kisses and tummy rubs,
Carrol

Squirt's Mom
03-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Mornin' all,

Brick is settling in very nicely! He knows where things are that are important to him...and where things are he could care less about as well! :p His ability to learn is not affected! One thing he hasn't learned, and may not, is to move a bit more slowly so he doesn't go sailing off of or crashing into things. :p He is a man on a mission always. Things to do, places to be, folks to see. :p He is especially proud that the dogs across the road have heard him and have elected to keep their distance. LOL When he goes out, that is the first direction he "looks", just to be sure!

Brianna is home for spring break so he got to meet her yesterday. She is an Education major, going into special ed like her mom. When I told her about his diagnosis, she just hugged him and told him that was ok, we loved him any way. :) Then one of her friends came by to visit and he was swooped up and snuggled by one girl then the other. They took turns passing Brick and Trinket back and forth. :D

Brick is eating very well, all his bodily functions are just fine, and he is enjoying his new life so far. He is handling the supplements I have added with no problems. Nights are still a bit erratic. He decided after going to the vet that he was NOT going to stay in that case to sleep. He may have associated it with things that are unpleasant for him and I do not want to cause him anxiety. So he has been sleeping on the floor the last two nites and does very well with it. He doesn't get anxious or beg and beg to get in the bed. He will whine for a second, then curl up in his blanket - which he drags all over the place. :p My worry now is that I will get up in the nite and be staggering around and step on him. :rolleyes: So, I have left the lights on all nite. He lets me know when he needs to go out; he does his business then comes back to me to be picked up and taken back inside. He is such a little sweetheart!

His weight at the vets was 3.8, which is less than what he was weighed in at in CA. Difference in the scales could easily account for this as could a drop in weight from all the travel he did. But I wanted a weight on Dr. B's scales so I could have a uniform starting place to gauge how much he gains/looses. He is just a bit smaller than Trink. Brick has much longer legs than her so he is taller, but his body is shorter in length, and his bones are smaller than hers. At the moment, Trink has about an ounce of winter coat, too! Brick isn't skinny but he is thin so I want to get a couple of ounces on him - not too much because of his legs tho.

My "son" is supposed to come over today and look at the bed to see if we can make it secure for Brick to sleep there with the girls and me. I so hope something can be done to make that happen!

I got some videos of his rubber legs this morning and if they are any good, I will get them up so ya'll can see.

Hugs,
Leslie and Mister Brickman

Bichonluver3
03-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Oh, I am so happy to hear how the Brickster is settling in. He knows a good thing when he "sees" it!
Hope you all have great day.
It is supposed to be a stormy day in the desert.
Love,
Carrol

Squirt's Mom
03-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi ya'll,

Just have to share what a good boy Brick is! I have been working with him and Trink on "up" and "down" for maneuvering steps, etc. Today Brick repeatedly came up the steps into the camper! :D Down is scarier so that will take more work but he did so good today. And he seemed to enjoy the work! Oddly, Trink is much slower about trying the camper steps - she will go right up the brick ones into the Big House, tho! :D

Hugs,
Leslie

BestBuddy
03-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi Leslie,

I went trough a lot of thought with Buddy after he lost his sight. I did look into the angel vest and the doggles. I decided on the doggles and I'm not sure they were that successful because he hated them so much. I didn't make him wear them all them time and although they did protect his eyes from bushes and plants he just seemed so unhappy with them.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/album.php?albumid=54&pictureid=396

If you or anyone else is handy there is a protection vest you can make yourself.

http://www.blindpets.com/harness/index.htm

Jenny

Squirt's Mom
03-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Jenny! That looks a like the Angelvest in function.

I wonder how Brick will handle glasses....;)

Wally P's Mom
03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Oh what a happy day. Congrads and best of luck to all of you.

Bichonluver3
03-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi Leslie!
How is the Brickster today? I miss getting the updates. Has he settled in okay?
Love, Carrol

Squirt's Mom
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi Carrol,

Brick is doing really well! Thanks for asking!

He is much calmer than he was at first so I hope he is catching on to the fact that this is where he belongs. For the first few days, every time the door opened he would bolt for it, scaring CRAP outta me 'cause he won't stop when he reaches the threshold, he doesn't even pause! :eek: But now he walks toward it, if he even gets up at all! :D UNLESS I am outside coming in and then I have to be prepared to keep him back until I can get in.

Because he doesn't stop at the opening, he has to be the first one taken out - which is against the pack hierarchy. Squirt is the Alpha and she should go out and in first, then Trink, then Brick as he is the obvious Omega. I can't carry all three at the same time, so I have started taking Squirt and Brick out together then getting Trink. I am thinking about building, or having built, a ramp so all I have to do is open the door and they can come in and out on their own four legs! :p

Speaking of building - the frame around the bed wouldn't work after all so Brick has been sleeping on the floor still. He doesn't seem to mind it at all; he just curls up on his blanket and goes to sleep when I put him down. HE sleeps - I don't! :rolleyes: I CREATE things to worry about so I worry about falling asleep too hard, getting up half awake, stumbling around and stepping on him. SO I have been leaving the lights on and dozing so I don't sleep too hard. geez.... Today I am about at my limit, tho, so I hope I cut it out tonite! :p

Brick is gaining strength, too. I think stress had a great deal to do with the flipping off his legs that saw for a while there as he hasn't done that in the last two days, I know. His little legs are still rubbery and I don't expect that to change, but he seems to have a bit better control than he did there for a while. His appetite has been excellent until this morning and I think that is because he has figured out the girls get MUCH better stuff than he does right now. :p I have been adding bites of sweet potato, turkey, liver, chicken, fish, quinoa and brown rice to his kibble to get an idea of what he likes and doesn't. So far, the fish was ok, but everything else was sumptuous! So this morning he ate his potato and some of his kibble then stood by Trink while she finished.

Brick is my little shadow. Squirt is very independent and Trink takes off exploring on her own all the time but my little man is always right behind me. He will do his business then fall in line! :D He hears his name and just wiggles from head to toe. And nothing makes him happier than when it is time for us all to pile up in the bed for a few hours. He will make his little nest by my side and snuggle in...and at THAT point, he is alpha...the girls dare not get to close or he will tell them off in a heartbeat! :p

I posted some new pics of him the other day all sacked out on the couch, belly up! He is such a doll!

Hugs,
Leslie and Brick

lulusmom
03-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Leslie, I'm so relieved to hear that Brick is doing better. I knew in my heart that the stress had taken a toll on him and my biggest fear was that the severe problems you saw would not get better. I'm elated that he is settling in and looking good...at least for the last two days. I'm praying that the improvement is permanent.

I just checked out the pictures and all I have to say is that it is clearly evident that Brick and Trinket are home at last. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Bichonluver3
03-24-2011, 09:28 PM
OMG, Leslie, that boy has no shame:D:D

He is adorable. I am so happy to hear he his doing better but I am not surprised. A plane trip, no matter how smooth, wears us all out.

The picture of Brick and Trinket is priceless.

God bless all of you.

Love & hugs & tummy rubs,
Carrol

Squirt's Mom
03-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Terri - do not read this post! :o

OMG! Without going into gross detail - you would NOT believe what just came out of Brick via poop! :eek::eek::eek: <faintin' mama icon>

I was watching as usual and saw this, this something.....and thought, "uh oh, he's got diarrh...uh, noooo, that's... that is....WTH IS THAT?!?!?"

After delivery, I poked and prodded and tried to determine WHAT it is...and still don't know! It reminded me of when my deaf and blind Dane, Dinah, came to live with me after who knows how long on the streets - she passed a complete popcorn bag all twisted up like a wash rag that had been rung out. This from Brick is about 8" long, thin like a pencil, flexible, tough and fibrous, definitely not paper. Amazing that didn't cause some real problem for him!

Poor little guy! No telling what he ate or how long ago but he was VERY happy when it was gone! :D He went prancin' around like, "Look what I did, Mom!" Geez...no wonder he didn't want breakfast! He wasn't interested again this morning but when he came back in just now, he headed straight to his spot and is eating with gusto! :D

addy
03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
WOW!!!! Wonder what it was? They eat the darnest things. Thank goodness the little guy is okay. After Koko came to live with us we stayed home every night for 6 months. New Years eve we decided to go to a concert for 3 hours. When we got home, Koko and Zoe had managed to chew off Koko's belly band and eat the Kotex pad. They were pooping and throwing up and I pulled Kotex pad out of Zoe's butt for 4 days:eek::eek: She had NEVER done ANYTHINg like that. I blamed Koko. You know boys:p After that the belly band came off, we puppy proofed the kitchen and ALL WAS WELL.;):rolleyes::D They get locked whenever we are not home. We still have the kitchen table in our living room:p:p:p

Oh Leslie, Your babies are adorbale and I am so happy you have Brick.

Love,
Addy

Bichonluver3
03-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi Leslie!

Just paid the vet $831 this week because, it turns out, Sparky must have picked up some chewed up gum on a walk. Some liver damage but he is recovering. Where do they get these things???????

8" from a little guy like Brick - that needs to go in the Guiness Book of Records:D
No wonder he was off kilter!!!:eek:

Glad he is feeling better and eating.
Love & hugs,
Carrol

Squirt's Mom
03-26-2011, 03:43 PM
This is one smart little man!

I took the door off the carry case he was sleeping in and put it on the floor at the foot of the bed. I have been putting Brick inside then letting him go to leave as he pleased....and he always came right back out like, "Oh, no you don't!" :rolleyes:;)

Just now I looked down to check on him and he wasn't on his pillow where he usually lays. I heard a sound behind me and there is he is - inside the case, making his nest! :D:D:D

I hope he takes to it now as that will help him stay warmer at night and I won't worry as much about stepping on him. He has some sweaters that friends sent him home with but he ends up wearing them like a skirt before the nite is over. :p

I am so proud of him!

littleone1
03-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Leslie,

You are doing such an amazing job of taking care of all of your furbabies. I really admire you for taking such good care of them, and giving them so much love.

Bichonluver3
04-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi Leslie!
How are you and the furbabies doing???
Love & Hugs,
Carrol & the pack

addy
05-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey There, Leslie,

I'm thinking maybe I missed an update or two 'cause I don't remember seeing lately how your babies are doing.

I need a Squirt, Trinket, Brick update!!!!!:D:D:D

Hugs,
Addy

Squirt's Mom
05-22-2011, 03:57 PM
It has been a while, hasn't it!

Brick is doing really well! He has settled in as if this is where he always lived. He is taking part in the meal-time bark-fest with full abandon, too. :p He walks around the camper with his head back, barking for all he's worth. :) Meals are always wonderful as far as he's concerned! Brick is still on kibble but he gets his "freshies" - meat and veggies - on the side. I set up his plate like you would for a blind human - kibble in this spot with meat on this side and veggies on that side, and the plate always set in the same position so that his head enters it between the meat and veggies. He gets the fish oil, Vit E, and GlycoFlex with breakfast every morning.

He sleeps in the carry case most nites now....well, if Trinket hasn't taken it over, that is! I am going to have to get a couple more of these for them as they all want to get in Brick's from time to time. In fact, I thought I had lost Squirt a few weeks ago only to finally see her nose sticking out of Brick's box. :rolleyes: Sometimes he chooses to sleep on one of the dog beds even tho the box is available but I no longer worry so much about stepping on him. He sleeps much more soundly at nite now, too.

Something odd happened a while back with Brick. It was routine for Brick to spend some time in the bed with the rest of us before I put him down for the nite. That was no problem for any of us and he usually curled up against me and slept. Well, one nite I needed to use my inhaler. When Brick heard the inhaler engage and spray, he freaked out! He bolted up to his feet, shaking all over, and started charging around on the bed. I got him and tried to hold him to calm him but he couldn't calm down. I set him on the floor and he went straight to his box. He has not been able to relax on the bed since. :( I have no idea what he thought when he heard that sound, but he hasn't forgotten it was connected to the bed.

Brick can't scratch himself very well so if you want to be his forever-friend, all you gotta do is SCRATCH! :) I will put one hand under his belly and start scratching down his back, around and down his tail and on his thighs. It feels soooooooo good, he sticks his little back legs straight out in the air behind him while his little nose is up and his head is going back and forth. I can just hear the, "Aaaaahhhhhhhhh" :p Of course, I get so tickled I can barely keep holding him. :p

Glynda had told me he would need some goo as his penis no longer stays in the sheath like it should. Well, that is something that thoroughly embarrasses him. I go to putting KY on and he starts raising one leg then the other while curling his head down. When I'm through, he goes straight to his box - to rub it off, I'm sure. :p

A friend of mind has a daughter with Hydrocephalus and we compare notes. I had noticed that Brick seemed to be more uncoordinated and very unsettled during bad weather. Her daughter is the same way and her doc said that the pressure changes in the air can cause pressure changes in her head, causing her have a more difficult time during storms. It looks as if the same thing happens to Brick. He simply cannot settle down and paces for hours on end til he falls out exhausted. :( This week when the storms started again, I gave him 1mg of melatonin and it helped him a great deal! He didn't pace as much as he did and was able to lay down much more often.

Brick still doesn't have the sonar that Trink does but he is doing better with it. One day last week, we were sitting on Mark's carport and I watched him approaching the concrete pad from the ground. He would get within several inches of it and start pawing the air as if he knew something was there. He would take a step forward and paw some more. He inched up on the pad til he finally touched it, then started climbing like the monkey he is. :p

Brick is much more tactilely sensitive, tho, than Trink is. He knows where he is by what he feels. For several days after we got home, he would walk the camper - round and round and round the same path. I just kinda took that as part of his condition and didn't worry about it. But as time passed, he stopped walking that path and would veer off of it directly to what he wanted. It dawned on me that he was getting the "feel" of the place - literally. The different areas of the camper have different type rugs - different naps. Their water bowl is always on a very rough towel. I had noticed that while he walked, he would rub up against things, too. He will walk along the cabinets and when he feels the edge of the last door, he turns to his left because his plate is right across the walk from there. He turns when he feels my robe that hangs by the door as his box is just to the left of there. So, he is managing just fine in spite of not having such a highly developed sonar.

Last month there was a kite festival here and I took the gang. There were some of my friends there, one from south ARK who fell head over heels in love with Brick. She will now call to ask how "her little man" is doing - and THAT'S ALL!! :p He is still leaving a string of ladies in love behind him everywhere he goes.

Hugs,
Leslie and Brick

Squirt's Mom
06-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi ya'll,

Well, Brick scared me. Earlier this week he was nauseous and had diarrhea. He vomited a couple of times. :( I gave him some SEB and he was fine. Yesterday, he did it again - diarrhea and vomiting. I have been told that these are among the signs I might see that would indicate the pressure in his little head was getting too much so with tears in my eyes, we go to the vet. $224 later, I learn he has food poisoning; apparently he got into some chili beans my SIL threw out in the yard. I call myself watching him and Trink when we are outside but I don't stare at them all the time either and he could have had a snack or 10 while I was hanging clothes or something. :o

Brick is such a sweet, sweet baby. He is always so happy to see me, for the least little bit of attention, the quickest rub, for every word spoken to him. He has just recently been able to relax in my lap for longer than half a minute and I am so enjoying holding and petting him and feeling his little body totally at ease. :) He is just so loving and so happy all the time it's unreal! :D

Hugs,
Leslie and a stinky boy who's headed for a bath! :eek::p

addy
06-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Oh Leslie,

How scary for you!!!!

Hope little Brick is feeling better. Food poisoning:(:(:( Would not have thought of that. Pups eat so much junk, wow, that is cause for a pause.

Hoping little Brick is feeling much better after his bath and things are going well for you both.

Get well soon precious Brick:):):):)

Love,
Addy

lulusmom
06-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Didn't you just get your brother to stop using rat poison? Is throwing rancid chili beans out in the yard the alternative to rat poison or does your brother and SIL have pigs? My great uncle had pigs and oh my goodness, they would eat anything, fresh or rancid and never get sick. They made me sick watching and smelling them but they never got sick. :D

I'm glad little Brickie is okay.

Squirt's Mom
07-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi ya'll,

My itty bitty man has hurt his foot. :( We had to stay at the Big House for a couple of days and I think he stepped on one of the floor vents and slit the webbing between the toes on his right front paw and almost pulled the nail out. I have some scrubbies and a thick gel that I used on Crys when her head got torn up and some antibiotics from the food poisoning episode and have been treating and cleaning it the last few days often. It looks much better, smells clean but it is still very sore. Bless his little heart, he can't really limp and keep his balance so he has been in his harness and on a lead so I can help him stay on his feet when he goes out.

I don't know what it is about this little guy, but I simply cannot stand to see him hurting. He is so loving and so sweet and already has so much to deal with it just isn't fair that he has to face another single thing for the rest of his life. I want him to know only love, security, and comfort all the rest of his days. So he has been getting uber coddled this week! He starts to move somewhere and I grab him and try to figure out where he was going, why, and get him there to do whatever he needed to do - while I hold him up. :o:) When he has to stand or walk, I cringe every time that foot touches the ground and snatch him up again soon as I can. But he is NOT spoiled....I don't spoil my dogs. :p

When he got his dose of worm med today I gave it with peanut butter. Oh my! Do we love PB? YESYESYES!!!!! And want more of it NOW! :p That was apparently some of the best stuff he ever put in his mouth and licked my fingers from nail to palm just to be sure it was allllllll gone. Since then, when he knows my hand is close, he goes to checking to see if that good stuff might possibly by some chance hopefully have come back. :p And that earns more cuddles and kisses, of course. He is going to absolutely rotten by the time his foot is healed - rotten, NOT spoiled! ;)

Hugs,
Leslie and Mister Brick

marie adams
07-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Of course not spoiled because we would not do something like that to our little ones, but they are so cute sometimes you cannot help it.:p

I hope Mr. Brick heals fast!!:D

addy
07-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Spoiling is a good thing!!!!! I know you will spoil Brick to the utmost and that is what the little guy deserves.;);)

I hope his foot heals fast and he can be up and about soon.

Love,
Addy

Squirt's Mom
07-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Just a note to let ya'll know that Brick's foot is much, much better today. He is putting his full weight on it, not falling over any more so he is free from his leash today, too. I still won't let him go into the horse pen and dine on poop just yet, tho, so he still feels deprived. :p

Hugs,
Leslie and Brick

Squirt's Mom
07-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Hi ya'll,

For the first time since the "inhaler incident", Brick was able to relax in the bed for a little while last nite. It was really nice to have all three babies in the bed together. :) He lay down by my side and took a nap; I was so glad to see that!

This morning, tho, it was time to clip his nails. He didn't handle it well at all. :( He was super stressed - panting heavily, fighting like mad, his little heart rate was flying, and he was yawning one after the other. :( It took Carolyn and I about an hour to trim them. I still say this little man is double jointed; he had one paw pushing on Carolyn's chest while the other one was extended straight out to the other side. His little legs were sticking out like airplane wings - straight out from his body, toes all spread out. :( I would trim a couple then hold him and calm him down, then start all over. I am not sure I will attempt that again; it is too hard on him. The vet will have to do it from now on. I wonder if he needs to be sedated for this? He was grateful once it was done. The way he moves, he rocks up on the tips of his toes often and short nails help him.

Brick is just fascinated with the horses. Baby is tied out in the front yard today and he gets so excited listening to her eat and stomp her feet. :D I have to keep a closer eye than usual when they are within hearing range of him - he just has to go check them out! When I have carried him over to greet one or the other of them, his little tail gets to wagging so fast and hard, and he will lick their faces like he is so glad to see them. :) The first time Baby blew on him (a horse's way of sniffing butts :p ), he was thrilled and wanted to be ON her. :D At nite sometimes, he can hear Dynamite running in the pen behind the camper, neighing and carrying on just for the fun of it. Brick will perk up and race around the camper like he is out running in the wind with Dynamite. He is so cute!

Hugs,
Leslie and Brick

lulusmom
07-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Sitting hear with tears streaming down my cheeks. I love you, Leslie.

littleone1
07-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Bless his heart. He is so adorable.

I can relate to the nail cutting. I have to cut a few nails everyday until they're done.

addy
07-12-2011, 01:20 PM
At nite sometimes, he can hear Dynamite running in the pen behind the camper, neighing and carrying on just for the fun of it. Brick will perk up and race around the camper like he is out running in the wind with Dynamite. He is so cute!

I am crying again:) The picture of this in my mind is just too precious.

Love,
Addy

Squirt's Mom
07-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi ya'll,

Mister Brickman is on a DIET! His mom has made him FAT! :p:o I noticed the other day when we were outside walking that his waist was GONE....he is starting to look like those little chis with a block body and hidden legs! :p Not that bad yet, but it won't take long if I don't start acting now. So his food has been cut a bit and we are trying to be a bit more active during the day.

I think activity is part of the problem. When he first came home, he was constantly on the move but over the last couple of months, he has been able to relax more and so he isn't on the move all the time anymore. Well, dummy Mom realized his change in action but didn't adjust the feed accordingly. So now my itty bitty man is getting FAT!

It makes me feel bad when I see what a small portion he gets anyway...I am not used to such tiny bellies to fill up! ;) And now it is even smaller in size. :( I have to tell myself every meal that he will not starve, he will not starve.... LOL

Gotta story about Brick for you now....the other evening I decided to take a swim so after the babies ate I took them out as usual then put them back inside. I got my suit on and headed to the pool. About half way there, I realized I had forgotten my tea so I went back to the camper to get it. When I started back to the pool, I heard Brick barking on the other side of the Big House - which is a fair way away from the camper for an itty bitty one not to mention a gimpy BLIND itty bitty one!

My first thought was, "How did he get all the way over there?" The next thought was, "HOW DID HE GET OUT OF THE CAMPER?!?!?!" I distinctly remembered putting them back inside before I got my suit on so the only thing I could think of was that he fell out when I went back for my tea and I didn't see it happen. So, off I go calling his name while the chant, "bad mama, bad mama, bad mama...." plays ceaselessly in my head.

I am following the sound of his voice around the side of the house, then out toward the pasture, then back to the side of the house...calling him continuously but not seeing him at all anywhere. Panic is riding my shoulders heavy at this point...so I stop moving and just listen for a second....and my heart stops. His voice is coming from UP in a Sweet Gum tree by the drive! HAWKS!! OWLS!! PANTHERS!! OH MY!! Something has my itty bitty man in a TREE! :eek: As I am circling the base of the tree to find him, I hear him bark again...this time behind me but still coming from up high. I look up and there on the eve of the house is a Mockingbird, barking it's damn fool head off! :p:p:p

The Mockingbird, Arkansas' state bird - and they are aptly named!

Hugs,
Leslie and the fat Brick

addy
07-20-2011, 06:59 PM
LOL, Leslie, I did not know mockingbirds could make a bark sound. I was freaking out right there with you as you told the story until we got to the end. Never would of guessed it.

Love,
Addy

lulusmom
07-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Leslie, you have a way with words and always a twist that I am not prepared for. :D

Squirt's Mom
09-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi Ya'll,

My itty bitty man is such a miracle boy! He has lived much, much longer with hydrocephalus than could ever be expected and the docs who have seen him are just amazed that not only is he still around but that he is so functional and happy. I have finally stopped running to have his head xrayed every time I see something different and have learned a great deal about how his body copes with the extra fluids in his head.

When the fluids build up too much, he gets more wobbly, he lists to one side or the other as he walks and his tummy gets very upset. Twice I gave him some pred and it helped get rid of the fluids but he will do it on his own 98% of the time.

He will start to pee excessively and I mean often and a LOT each time. The urine is usually colorless or very, very pale when he is draining his fluids and has no odor at all. After a day of peeing heavily, he is back to his normal self. During these times we go through about 6-10 peepee pads a day plus going out often.

And through it all, he remains a loving happy little guy. Twice last week he was able to relax and sleep in the bed with us for a little while and I so love having all three of them there with me. He will curl up right next to my side in a little ball. :) He isn't often able to be still enough to hold or stay up on the bed so when he is able, I cherish every single second of it!

One of the things I love is the sound of him walking around. He doesn't really walk, he stomps and you can hear him goose-steppin' all over the camper. :p

He has found a new game - if I'm in bed during the day, he will start scratching on the wall by me until I hang a foot over. Then he paws at it, puts my toes in his mouth, and makes this breathy little sound like "hiahiahiahia" while his little tail whips back and forth like mad! :D

Brick brightens my days over and over and over with his joy! I wish you could all meet him because I cannot describe his beautiful little soul well enough.

Hugs,
Leslie and Mister Brickman - the wonder boy!

addy
10-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi Mister Brickman and Mom,

wishing you both well and hopes the miracles keep on going strong!!!

love ya leslie,
addy

Cyn719
10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Sounds so adorable!!! Love those moments for sure!! Love health and prayers to you and wonder boy!!!:)

Squirt's Mom
12-06-2011, 06:33 PM
My little man is curled up in my lap as I type tonite! :):):) That may not sound like much, but for Brick it is HUGE! He is so seldom able to relax and be held. His little body jerks and twitches constantly and when he's excited it's even worse - and loving and petting are very exciting! :D About the only time I can hold him without him climbing and scaring me that he is gonna fall, is when it is cold outside - then he is very calm when I pick him up and put him under my coat. :D Right now, he is as calm as can be. If it didn't mean moving, I would take a picture. I just love, love, love these rare moments with Brick!

Jenny & Judi in MN
12-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Leslie: I've never read Brick's story before. You ARE all angels and he is a doll! I'm glad he was able to cuddle up with you tonight!

Jenny has done pretty well adapting to being blind. I'm very glad she is in the same home she has always lived in and admire you pup mom's that can bring a blind dog to a new place and have them fitting right in and climbing walls immediately! :)

addy
12-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Rare moments are to be treasured indeed and we are so lucky to have them.

I can picture the two of you snuggling so clearly in my mind. Doesn't it warm your heart? The other night when I was finally able to cuddle in bed with Zoe and Koko it just felt so good and so right. And funny thing, we ALL snuggled closely, even Zoe and Koko snuggled each other. That was a rare moment too.;)

Enjoy your snuggles with precious Brick and I hope you have many, many more.

Love,
addy

lulusmom
12-07-2011, 02:49 PM
We really need a tearful icon for times like this. No little guy has ever touched my heart quite so much as Brick and I will be forever grateful to you, Leslie, for being his forever mom. He came from one of the worst shelters in the area and it still makes my blood boil when I think that they insisted on neutering him at his age and in his condition, and they didn't even know he was blind. He is truly a magical little soul who captures the heart of everyone he meets and those he met on his journey home to you will always remember our little Brickman.

Squirt's Mom
12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Brick and a squirrel just scared the crap outta each other! :p

He was wandering around the yard when a squirrel came down a tree close to him. He could hear it in the leaves and started walking toward it. I know the squirrel had to have seen him but for some reason ignored him and turned it's back to him while it dug in the ground. The wind was blowing away from Brick so he couldn't smell it, the ground had no leaves or other noisy items on it where the squirrel was digging so he must not have heard anything either. Brick walks at top speed so he covered the ground between the two of them fairly quickly and was on top of the squirrel in no time. They both realized how close the other was about the same second and both jumped back! :p:p Brick started barking his head off and the squirrel ran half way up a trunk then looked down at him like, "Where did YOU come from?!?" First time I ever saw a squirrel with bulging eyes! :D:p:D

Squirt's Mom
12-25-2011, 05:04 PM
A Brick Christmas Story....

Brick got a couple of sweaters for Christmas - well, one was supposed to be for Trink, but she'll have none of that, thank you! So Brick gets two sweaters! :D

I wanted to take some pics of him wearing them to show how he looks in them so I put the one with two gold buttons on the neck on him first and took several shots. Then I took that one off and put on a snowman one. Any time I put him down, I keep my hands close by his sides in case he has trouble keeping his balance at first. So I stood him on the ground, made sure he was stable, moved my hands back and he fell over, all stiff. I picked him up, stood him again and made sure he was steady, moved my hands back and he fell over again, stiff. Well, panic set in, I just knew the pressure in his head was causing something major to go wrong. So I took the sweater off, walked around crying, lay on the bed with him a minute, then put him on one of the dog beds to call the vet. Weellll, he took off stomping around the camper just like usual! I watched him a while and he seemed like he always did so I decided he had just gotten too cold outside and we would take the snowman sweater pic inside.

I put the sweater back on him, stand him in the bathroom, make sure he is steady, move my hands, take a pic, and he falls over, stiff as a board. I stand him up and over he goes to the other side, stiff. I take the sweater off, put him down to get the phone and he stomps off again! Just fine and dandy! :confused:

I watch him some more, get to thinking and put the snowman sweater back on him. Plop, stiff as a board he falls over. Sweater off, just fine; sweater on, he goes all stiff and falls over onto his side!

I don't know if it's something about the construction of the sweater, or if he just doesn't like that one but it happened every time I put the snowman sweater on him! Scared me silly for a little while, tho. Little turd! :D

addy
12-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Leslie, I would have been bawling. What the hey? I wonder what bothers him about the sweater? Is it harder to get on than the other sweater?

Maybe he is not into Snowmen;):D

That's okay Brick, snowmen scare me stiff too!!!!!!!!:D

love,
addy

lulusmom
12-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Some dogs simply will not move if you put anything on them. I put a Santa suit on Buster and he refused to move a muscle. He was like a statue. I waited 10 minutes to see if he would try to walk before I relieved him of his pain and took it off. What a wimp. :D

Squirt's Mom
02-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi ya'll,

Today was Brick's turn at Dr. B's. He is heart-worm NEGATIVE as well!!! :D:D:D With his short coat, he was my biggest worry and I am soooo glad he is clear.

My itty bitty man taught us all something today - he does much better when Mom leaves the room. It took three folks to hold him to take just enough blood for the heart-worm test but when I walked out (couldn't bear to watch him struggle so), one of the techs later told me he just sagged for a few seconds, long enough for the needle to hit the vein. She said it was like he just gave up for a few seconds when he could no longer smell me in the room - then the fight came back. :p They couldn't get enough blood from his leg for labs after that and will have to sedate him and take it from his neck. But a Rottie came in who had been shot so we go back tomorrow for that. No problem! The Rottie needed Dr B much more than we did plus Brick was stressed enough for today.

Dr. B did get a fecal on him which was also clear; listened to his heart and lungs, both sound good; teeth horrible; ears dirty but no mites; AND, with me out of the room again, they managed to trim his nails! Two groomers have now refused to trim him unless he is sedated for fear of stroke or seizures - he gets so upset he hyperventilates and foams at the mouth! :eek::( Carolyn and I tried for hours one day to trim them, and he was just so pitiful. I have tried trimming one nail a day but cannot hold him and trim at the same time very well. I was glad they got them trimmed today. He will sometimes bite them off but they still get too long.

So, tomorrow afternoon, he goes back and will be mildly sedated so they can draw blood for his health screen. From what Dr. B could see today and from what I report in Brick, he doesn't expect any problems but I want to have him checked out anyway. As traumatic as these visits are for him, I hope he stays healthy enough he doesn't have to go back for a very, very long time. And a clean bill of health will tell me we are in a good spot for that to happen.

And, of course, everyone fell in love with him who laid eyes on him. He is just so dang happy and obviously loves everyone he meets, folks can't help themselves. One lady was standing outside their exam room watching Brick explore the office and asked what kind of dog he was...which I thought odd, he is obviously Chihuahua. When I told her, she said, "I thought that's what he was but he looks different...." So, I told her his history. She watched a minute more then said, "It sure doesn't bother him in the least, does it? He is wagging his tail from the chest down all the time!" I just grinned proudly - yep, that's my itty bitty man for ya. :)

Hugs,
Leslie and the Amazing Mr. Brickman

Harley PoMMom
02-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Oh poor sweet Brick...maybe the snowman sweater would of worked!:)

Squirt's Mom
02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Hi Ya'll,

We had our afternoon visit with Dr. B and have the results of his test. Dr. B didn't even charge me for the gas because it took so little - he said Brick went out in seconds and he grabbed the sample.

Both Trink and Brick have the same abnormalities on their labs - glucose and sodium. Brick is the one who is most concerning right now, tho. His results -

GLU 145 Normal 60 - 110
NA+ 135 Normal 138 - 160

So, I am to catch some urine so we can see if he is spilling glucose and if so, Dr B wants to put him on the diabetes feed - Science Diet. I will do that for a short while if needed but only til I can get him on a good home cooked diet...which I am putting in the works tonite - for both of the itty bitty ones.

I really have to wonder if the Royal Canin isn't at the root of this, tho, since both of them eat this feed and both have the same abnormalities. :confused: Research! :D

He does drink and pee a LOT - at times. At others, he is normal. His appetite is very strong, coat great, skin a little dry but not bad at all.

So, that's where we are today and I'll let ya'll know more as I do. Off to update Trink's thread.

Hugs,
Leslie and Brick

lulusmom
02-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Hi Les,

I was a nervous wreck about 18 months ago when Lulu's glucose was a bit high. Dr. Moore wasn't too worried about it but wanted a recheck in 60 days. It was normal on recheck and normal on two tests since then. I have her glucose tested every time I take her to the vets office. Hopefully this isn't a chronic problem that requires that you do anything. If you do change feed, make sure you talk to Natalie first because Science Diet isn't the best and not all dogs do well on it.

Squirt's Mom
02-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I cannot begin to tell ya'll how absolutely thrilled I am to make this post -

BRICK'S URINE IS NEGATIVE FOR GLUCOSE!! :D

After an exciting morning of following his tiny butt all over the place with a variety of catchers, I finally managed to slide a small aluminum pie pan under his stream and take it in. OMG, this is one happy mama here today!

I have already gotten a home cooked diet in the works for him, and Trink, and they are both coming off the Royal Canin asap. I intend to call the company and try to find out just exactly what ingredient(s) are in that feed that makes them want to eat it - it is for picky eaters. For the life of me, I can't see it from the listed ingredients.

Hugs,
a very relieved mama and her itty bitty man

Cyn719
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Leslie

Yay!! Urine is fine!! :) That is great. So glad you got good news!!

My Penny never would wear a coat or sweater. From when she was young I tried and she would just roll on her back to get it off and try to bite it! I guess her coat is enough for her!:D

Hugs xoxoxo

Harley PoMMom
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM
BRICK'S URINE IS NEGATIVE FOR GLUCOSE!! :D

YeeHaw!!!!! So very happy for you both!!!

addy
02-09-2012, 07:01 AM
GREAT NEWS:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What a relief for you. I know how worried you must have been.

love,
addy

Roxee's Dad
02-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Great news indeed :)

Squirt's Mom
03-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi Ya'll,

Brick is eating his new home made menu and absolutely loving it! :D He is having to learn how to eat soft foods, tho, and makes a huge mess which really stinks if I don't follow right behind and clean....it's a Cod based food so you can imagine the smell! :eek::p And EVERYTHING has to be cleaned, including him! :D I'm going to work on making his feed a bit more chunky this time and see if that helps.

I do have a question...Brick has a penis (duh :p) which is something I haven't dealt with in a loooooooonnnnnng time. His little muscles are weakening with age and he cannot keep it in the sheath all the way so the end is always exposed. I have kept KY Jelly and Neosporin on it but it still dries out. The outer layer will turn black and slough off. It doesn't seem to bother him at all - no licking, no signs of pain when peeing or laying on it - and there is no odor or discharge.

Before I subject him to the trauma of another vet visit, I wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas. He gets soooo stressed at the vets and I know he will have to be sedated for them to look at it. :( I have tried to pull the sheath back further to see if the rest of the penis is ok but I cannot hold him and do that - he is just too wild. Has anyone else dealt with this and what did you do? I am horrified it is going to keep sloughing off until just the OS (bone in the penis) is exposed...then what??? :eek::(

Hugs,
Leslie and Brick

lulusmom
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi Les,

The penis is not supposed to slough off. Are you sure it isn't the topicals you are putting on it that is caking up, collecting lint and peeling off? Remember Otis? I spent the better part of a year trying to keep his penis clean and lubed up as often as possible. The penis would slip into the sheath for a short time and boom, there it is again staring you in the face. :D:p:D It's not pretty but short of having surgery, which isn't always a guarantee, I can't offer up any pearls of wisdom.

We had one rescue who was so bad, we finally had to take him in for surgery. The first two procedures were done by a board certified surgeon and they failed miserably. The surgeon ended up amputating most of the penis. :eek:

Squirt's Mom
03-16-2012, 01:09 PM
I hadn't thought about the lubricants being what is sloughing off. Brick and I had a "wrestling" match and I was able to pull the sheath back a bit. I found thick, yellow stuff collected around the opening of the sheath - still no odor, tho. So it may be that the lubricants collect then darken, stiffen and fall off. His little penis was dry as far back as I could peel the sheath. :( I just hate to take him in to see Dr B but I may anyway just to settle my racing mind....amputate a PENIS??? :eek: O.M.G.

addy
03-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Gee Leslie,

This sounds almost like what happened to my daughter's Pom. I will see if she is around this weekend and ask her.

Hugs,
addy

lulusmom
03-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Leslie, I forgot to mention that my vet said you should always use a water soluble gel lubricant. Brick has what is called Paraphimosis without Entrapment/Strangulation. I've provided a link below with some good information about the condition. It appears that you are doing exactly as is recommended in this article; however, you may want to ask your vet if neosporin is the best topical antibiotic ointment for this condition.

http://www.hungarovet.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/management-of-canine-paraphimosis-2005.pdf

Squirt's Mom
03-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the article! Great info! And it doesn't sound as if the neosporin is the best after all since it isn't water soluble....which may be where the yellow stuff came from. :rolleyes: So we will stick with KY for now and if possible take him in to see Dr B Monday as much as I hate to. Poor little guy just gets beside himself. :(

Addy, if you find out anything from your daughter, pass it on please and thanks!

Penis....I really thought that part of my life was over with. :rolleyes::p

BestBuddy
03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
During one of Buddy's many UTI's he had a very sore and cracked penis so I used Lanisoh (Nipple Creme) and it worked great. I know you have a different problem but just thought I would add.

Jenny

Wendy Tillotson
03-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Bag balm works great - it was made for cows originally but works well on other animals AND people. Its great for human feet.

addy
03-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Stopping by to let you know I did not forget, daughter could not remember any details except that she had to keep the penis area clean and the hairs around it short.

Sorry and I hope Brick is feeling better.

love,
addy

Squirt's Mom
03-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks, Addy!

I think it probably was the neosporin that was making the black sloughy stuff because once I cleaned all that off and stopped using it, there has been no more of it. The KY does a good job of keeping him lubricated so we will stick with that for now.

On another note, there has been a problem with his new diet - not the diet itself but his ability to eat it. It never occurred to me that he might not be able to coordinate his tongue to eat soft foods, but he apparently can't. What I took as enthusiasm for the food - licking and chasing his bowl all over the place - was actually him desperately trying to pick that food up and get it into his mouth cavity. The end result was massive smears of cod/sweet potato/quinoa mix all over the place as he pushed it out of the bowl and along the floor. He would eventually get most of the food but he also got quite a bit of air in his tummy, resulting in a little bit of a bloat (not GDV) and one episode of vomiting. So, for now, he is back on kibble - Natural Balance this time - and I am mixing a bit of his fish meal with the kibble. This seems to be working ok for him.

He enjoys his food so much it broke my heart to realize he was having such a difficult time with the soft food. Brick eats like a little gentleman - picking up each little piece of kibble, raising his head and chewing thoughtfully. He just cannot do that with the softer food. So Cat and I are trying to work out something that will allow him to pick up more solid pieces and still give him great nutrition.

Most importantly, he remains the single happiest little doggy on the face of this planet. He simply amazes me and teaches me daily how to be a better person.

Hugs,
Leslie and the amazing Mr. Brickman

addy
03-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Oh Leslie,
I am so glad Brick is better. Isn't that something about the food?
I know what you mean. One night Zoe was still "eating" from her bowl and Koko was done and past that. I thought "oh, she is taking longer to eat":D Turns out a piece of cranberry was stuck to the bottom rim of her bowl and she could not lick it out for anything and she was determined to try.:rolleyes:
So much for thinking her cortisol had jumped down:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am so happy Brick has you and vice versa. I think of you and your three sweeties often and the thoughts always bring a smile to my face. Brick has every reason to be the happiest dog on the planet. He has such a happy home!!!!!!

love,
addy

Squirt's Mom
03-25-2012, 10:23 AM
I have been so sick that I didn't note a very important day last week. Saturday, March 17th marked ONE YEAR that my itty bitty man has been home! :D:D:D This tiny barking red gazelle has brought more joy into my life by sharing his constant happiness. I have never met a pup who is just so darn happy all the time. :p No matter what, Brick's tail is wagging, his head is held high, and he stomps through his world with amazing determination to overcome any obstacle in his way. He has taught me so much about how to face the worst life can throw at us. In spite of all his "limitations", this little guy never gives up, never gives in, and never stops loving.

Glynda, thank you again for bringing such a special boy into my world!

Hugs,
Leslie and the amazing Mister Brickman

Happy Gotcha Day, Brick!!!

lulusmom
03-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Where is the icon for major water works? Les, you have a way of providing the most perfect mental images. Brick was with me only a short while but it was long enough for me to observe all those wonderful attributes you mention. He is an awesome little guy for sure.

Happy belated anniversary, Brick, Leslie, Squirt and Trinket!

Harley PoMMom
03-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Happy belated Anniversary from me too! Sending my love full of admiration to Leslie and Glynda, you both are such wonderful people!

Squirt's Mom
05-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Many years ago, I had a Buckskin gelding...please note the term gelding. Buck never quite got the message that "gelded" meant he was no longer able to satisfy every mare we passed who was in season and he took me on some truly frightening trips trying to get to them no matter how far away or what he had to go through to reach them - barbed wire fences, clotheslines, board gates across barn doors, rivers, you name it, he tackled it with me in the saddle.

Well, our itty bitty man seems to have the same confusion - he ain't accepted the fact his junk is gone. :o

Trink came into heat in the weeks just prior to moving and he kept trying to mount her. I had to keep her on the bed or couch with me or in a crate where he couldn't get to her or he would wear himself out trying.

Well, mom got distracted with packing and moving. So Brick didn't get as much KY as he usually does AND Trink was available to him more. We stayed in our new house for the first time Sun before last. And Mom was still distracted. :( Bad Mom! :mad:

Tues. morning when I picked him up to go outside I felt something hard on his belly. When I looked, his little penis was covered in a hard cap of Trinkhair. :( I soaked him in warm water and removed the hair but some of the skin and,I thought, the very tip of his penis came off with it, causing a tiny bit of bleeding. :( I was sick. We went to see Dr B who said he has the Paraphimosis and the urine that got trapped in the hair burned his little penis and the opening to the sheath. :(

He gave us some Panalog to use along with the KY and Brick is doing much, much better. The redness is gone as are the scabs around the opening, and he is pulling it into the sheath better than he was. He didn't lose as much of the tip as I had feared - it had apparently scabbed as well and that is what I felt and what caused the bleeding - which wasn't much.

The Panalog must feel good because he has started to enjoy the application of it and the KY much more than he used to...and I really try hard not to think toooo deeply on that as I apply his meds. :p

So this was the scare that resulted in a trip to see Dr B which resulted in Tasha coming to stay with us.

Hugs,
Leslie and Mister Brickman, who really cannot always do the things he wishes to!

BestBuddy
05-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Les,

Both my boys have had "The swings removed from their playground" but try to play mount each other on occasion. Things changed when Janey arrived and she came into heat and the boys would just not leave her alone. I just had to keep them separated just to give Janey some peace.

Jen

Squirt's Mom
07-28-2012, 10:29 AM
I cannot believe it! After a year and a half I found the way to trim Brick's nails...don't try to hold him to do it. He had a very long nail that I was determined to cut - his don't seem to grow uniformly. :rolleyes: So I got the cutters and while he was standing on the porch, I leaned down and snipped it off. He just stood there calmly and let me do it! So I did all the rest of them while he stood there. I lifted each little foot just enough to access the nails and he was FINE with it! No panic, no panting, no foaming, nothing! :D If this continues to work, he won't have to be sedated any more to trim his nails!:D

Roxee's Dad
07-28-2012, 05:13 PM
That is wonderful :D

addy
07-28-2012, 06:43 PM
I cant believe you can do that!!!! I will admit I am terrified to try to cut my pup's nails. I bought a nice cutter with a quic guard and I am still too afraid, their nails are black:o:o:o

It sure sounds like you all are loving your new digs. I am so happy about that.

Squirt's Mom
08-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Well, I have learned a valuable lesson...a scary lesson. I brought home a stray, a female maybe lab mix who had been hanging out at a little store in the country here for several days. My thought was to keep her safe while I tried to find her home or to find her a new home.

First thing in the door, she and Squirt hated each other. She treated Trinket like a toy and flipped Brick over like she did the stuffed toys. She really badly wanted to play with Tash, but she just doesn't feel like it these days. Ok....after she flipped Brick, I separated them. She would be out while they were in and when they needed out, I put her in a bedroom. I would let her stay in the bedroom while the rest roamed the house. Not ideal but would work for a day or so while I found another solution for her. I started putting out feelers with local rescues yesterday.

This morning I opened the door to let the little ones out, Brick walked out and she nailed him! Just out of the blue. He is ok - his ear is torn a little bit, doc checked him out and gave him some ABs just in case. He is acting just fine, moving just fine, responding just fine. But it scared me to death.

The rescue that took her works with big dogs and she ended up with 7 other lab/pit/rottie mixes that she won't be able to bully. And swapped me a small male mutt to foster who didn't set off any growls when he came in this afternoon. He is small enough I can pick him up if needed, she wasn't.

She was such a sweet dog to people - played very well with the neighborhood kids and didn't start out aggressive other than with Squirt. She just got very territorial and possessive quickly. I hope she lands a great home soon...I believe there is a good dog in there if someone will work with her.

So wanted to share our last few exciting days with you and let everyone know Brick is alright as it was mentioned on FB and that place is the biggest gossip in the world! :p

Hugs,
Leslie and Brick

molly muffin
08-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Wow Leslie, you Have been having adventures!

What a nice thing to do though and in the end, two dogs are helped, the big one and another little one. Not a bad days work. :)

Cheers! Have a good weekend,

Sharlene

lulusmom
08-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Poor wittle Bwickie Boy. Give him a big hug for me.

Squirt's Mom
08-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Our itty bitty man is doing fine. :) I was up and down all night waking him up just to be sure he would. :o:rolleyes: His ear is sore but looks ok and he absolutely hates the antibiotic! This incident did nothing to dampen his Great Dane genes, either. He still believes he is 5' tall and weighs 150 lbs, able to take on the world if needed. :p

His mom has been eat up with guilt and shame for putting him, all of them, at risk like that. I still have a hard time accepting that I cannot help every dog that crosses my path. Leaving this big girl to the fate of the same road that got Crys killed was more than I could stand...and she stole my heart right off because she reminds me so much of Crys. But I have promised them no more big dogs at our house and I will be even more cautious from now on.

addy
08-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Dang, Leslie, glad to hear everything turned out okay. I sure hope you all have a quiet weekend!!!!

Give Brickman a snuggle for me:):)

Squirt's Mom
03-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi ya'll,

WOW! It's been a while since I updated Brick!

Short story for now - he is WONDERFUL! :D I was thinking not long ago that he probably has the most serious condition of everyone in the house and has the least problems! And he remains the happiest little guy in the whole world day in and day out. He fills our home and my heart with joy.

One thing that has bothered me a great deal is his legs. They go in all directions at once but he isn't bothered by that. However they get so cold, especially in the winter and sweaters just don't do the trick. I saw a link on Facebook yesterday about a group of folks who knit and crochet leggings for dogs who are handicapped and need extra support or protection from ulcercation so I contacted them about Brick. I heard back from them today, putting me in touch with a lady in MO who is willing to try to make some leggings for him to keep him warm.

I cried when I saw the link yesterday and have been bawling like a baby for the last hour trying to fill out the info they need. I had to take him to a neighbor to help hold him while I measured but he did real well with that adventure and we got the info they need. It has been sent off tonite and I hope to hear from her soon. My itty bitty man may have a way to keep his legs warm soon and I had to share. :)

Hugs,
Leslie and the Brickman

infoviewer
03-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Leslie you are so wonderful. You take such good care of so many furbabies. I admire you so much for what you do. Love, JoAnne

Roxee's Dad
03-05-2013, 10:17 PM
That's great news... Is Brick the one that freezes up and falls over when you put a sweater on him? I would love to see a video of him taking his first steps while wearing his new leggins. :p:)

molly muffin
03-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Oh Leslie that is wonderful!!!! What a really great group of people who will knit for others furbabies. Wow.
I want pictures and video! (good call John)

You're the best momma!
hugs,
Sharlene and Molly Muffin

Simba's Mom
03-06-2013, 12:13 AM
You are so amazing taking in that sweet little brick, wow, he's a lucky pup! You inspire me, thank you!!!!

Squirt's Mom
03-06-2013, 08:07 AM
:p:D:p Yeah, Brick is the one who froze and fell to the side in a sweater. :D:p:D But it was really too small for him (!!) and I wrestled him into it anyway because it was just so darn cute. It has a snowman applique on the back which is fairly stiff. So with the snowman plus being too tight, he just couldn't face moving in it and toppled over on his side and lay there with his legs stiff in front, giving me the stink eye! :p:D:p

Squirt freezes and gives the stink eye regardless if you try to dress her period other than the Thundershirt for some strange reason but she doesn't fall over. :rolleyes:

Squirt's Mom
03-06-2013, 04:56 PM
For those of you on Facebook, here is the page about the leggings. I haven't found a website yet but if I do, I'll share it as well.

https://www.facebook.com/Leggingsforlife/info

Here is Willow, the cat who started things rolling -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bazbEgq6jwc

Squirt's Mom
07-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Hi ya'll,

There's never much to update about Brick - he just rocks along the same from day to day, always a happy, happy boy. But last night he gave me a fright.

All the dogs had been out for the nite and come back inside to go to bed. I crawled in bed and started reading. After a bit I got up to go to the bathroom and noticed the cover on Brick's box was out instead of in, as it is when he is inside the box - where he should have been sleeping at that time. No big deal - he's probably gone to get a drink or use the peepee pad. I go on about my business and go back to reading. After a little while, I looked at his box and the cover is still out - no Brick in a box. So I start looking around the house, calling him. No response. He ALWAYS comes when called! :eek::eek::eek: I grab the flashlight and go out in the yard looking; no Brick. The gates are closed, he can't get out otherwise that I know of but panic anyway. Back inside I go to get dressed and start looking around the park and woods for him. I walk into the bedroom, sobbing in fear for what could have happened to him, to see a tiny brown body stepping out of the edge of the blanket covering Soph's crate, stretching and yawning and looking at me like I was crazy. Next thing he knew, he was yanked up, squeezed to pieces and smothered in kisses and tears. Apparently, he had made a little nest in the blankets where they flow onto the floor and had been sound asleep the whole time. :rolleyes:

When I put him down, he stomped around wagging that tail then went inside his box like usual. But I swear there was this little smile on his face thinking he got one over on Mom! :p

molly muffin
07-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Omg, Brick!!! Driving your momma bonkers looking for you. :p:p
I'm sure he was like, awww she loves me, I don't know what All the fuss is about, I was just having a nap! sheeezzz mom. hehehee :D:D
I don't like the scares at all, but I do love the happy finding and how they act oh so innocent. LOL

hugs,

Sharlene and Molly muffin

Budsters Mom
07-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Oh Leslie,
Hate that feeling of panic when you can't find the little buggers!:eek:
Love the ending. What a sweet, sweet boy and mama too!:p:) xxxxx

Simba's Mom
07-28-2013, 11:08 PM
AW little Brick, what a cute story, not the panicking part though....so glad he was safe!!!

Squirt's Mom
02-21-2014, 05:42 PM
My Little Man is just perfect! He is as happy as ever, always giving me a reason to smile and get a good solid case of the warm fuzzies. Brick is the ONLY man this household needs - he is everything to us!

I noticed he's getting a gray strip going across his head and down his neck now but that just gives him the distinguished Dudley Dooright look now! :p His penis continues to need attention and he continues to tickle me to pieces when he hears "peepee med" and assumes the position! :D

It never ceases to amaze me how such a tiny little thing has made such a HUGE mark on my soul. He is one in a million and I am so blessed to be his mom.

molly muffin
02-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Oh Brick is just adorable! and so smart too, peepee med position. ROFL that cracked me up!

hugs,
Sharlene and Molly muffin

Squirt's Mom
09-22-2014, 11:57 AM
The babies have an ortho bed on the floor they share that is about 5" thick. Brick can often be found sleeping or wandering around on that bed....but he has never fallen off of it that I have seen and I have wondered why. He cannot learn steps as he can't determine where the edge is nor the face of the next step up - they are simply too dangerous for him so we stopped trying. Yet he manages this bed just fine, up and down.

I was sitting on the bed just now watching him wander around on that bed. When he decided it was time to move on to other adventures, he slowly started walking in a straight line VS the looping, weaving moves prior. As he approached the edge of the bed, he slowed even further, lowered his head and started feeling for the edge with his nose. It dawned on me he can feel the mattress under him start to dip, the support weaken, as his weight got closer and closer to the edge. So he knew it was coming and used his nose to know when it was right in front of him. He eased one front leg down, then the other, then bounced both wobbly back legs to the floor! :D He is really an amazing little guy! And still just as happy as a pig in mud on a hot summer day. :p

molly muffin
09-22-2014, 05:04 PM
That is so cute. He is one smart little dude. I can just see the incredibly Big grin on your face as you watched that.

hugs
Sharlene and molly muffin

labblab
09-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Ahhhh, I love reading about our little bitty boy! He's such a treasure, Leslie! :o :)

mcdavis
09-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Yay for Brick. We can learn so much about life from our pups.

Budsters Mom
09-22-2014, 10:55 PM
He is so dang cute, I just want to scoop up that little love bug!:p

Squirt's Mom
12-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Today is Brick's turn to see Doc B. His eyes have always been a bit weepy at times but one has gotten almost constant and has a bit of swelling at times so we're gonna get it checked out. I'll let you know what Doc says. I would really like to have his eyes removed but don't know that he can do that with the hydrocephalus. :(

labblab
12-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Oh good luck, Leslie, and please do let us know just as soon as you are able.

Squirt's Mom
12-02-2014, 10:31 AM
And Sophie picks NOW, as I am getting ready to go, to have a seizure outside! :( I looked up and saw her face and tail and knew. Sure enough, there she went like a rabbit. Finally coaxed her inside, I think because it is so cold, and she is hiding under my bed. :( Bless her heart.

Budsters Mom
12-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Oh Leslie, big hugs! :p Please keep us posted on both of your sweet babies. xxxxoooo

Squirt's Mom
12-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Soph was calmer by the time we left and was at the door to greet us when we got home. She and Trink are getting more and more anxious when I leave so I have to wonder if she stressed herself into this episode this morning. Thankfully, it was one of her short spells.

Mr. Brick's eye seems fine but his tooth is not and is the probably cause of his eye issue. His eye tooth, or canine tooth, has some really bad build up so Doc has him on Baytril for 7 days. He said if he gets worse, his cheek will get wet thru the skin and I am to bring him back. We discussed a dental but with his hydrocephalus Doc is very hesitant to put him under. We may decide to gas him and do some scraping but first to try to get this infection taken care of.

His labs are really good for a 16 yr old! Doc said they were better than his! :D His creatinine is a bit high but the BUN is fine. His glucose is high but he has no signs whatsoever of diabetes so Doc thinks it is due to infection and his stress level when being examined. Brick does not do well with vets at all. He usually ends up hyperventilating. :(

CREA 1.5 0.3-1.4 ng/dl
GLUC 152 80-110ng/dl

Doc said he wouldn't start a pup on meds with those levels but does want to recheck in a month or so and do a urine check then, too. Brick emptied his bladder too soon today. :p

Hemotology report shows -

HCT 55.2 37.0-55.0%
HGB 18.8 12.0-18.0 g/dl

Comment = Borderline Polycythemia (Erythrocytosis) (whatever this means :confused: , google here I come!)

All in all, Doc said he looks very good for an old man with a serious neurological condition. I did notice under their very bright lights that Brick is developing male pattern baldness so I need to find him a toboggan for the winter! :p

molly muffin
12-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Oh gosh, glad that Sophie is better now you are home. Hopefully it was just caused by anxiety of you getting ready to leave.

Poor boy, bad tooth, that must hurt. So he is going to keep a close eye on that glucose?

Glad he seems to be doing so well over all.

hugs!

Squirt's Mom
12-03-2014, 09:05 AM
That comment on borderline polycythemia (erythrocytosis)....is more than likely the result of his extreme stress and having to be restrained to get the blood. No other indicaitons in his blood work that this could be a real, or primary, concern. So for now, I won't worry about this one!

labblab
12-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Les, dehydration at the time of a blood draw will also innocently raise those red blood cell values. ;)

Marianne

molly muffin
12-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Okay, unless there are other factors that point to that, then whew, glad there is nothing to worry about there for now.

huggers

Squirt's Mom
12-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Wanna see something funny? Two blind dogs, one trying to come the door, the other trying to go out the same door, both turning to the right to accomplish their opposite goals, one growling, one barking. LOL Brick and Trink at the front door - Trink growling at Brick to get out of her way, Brick barking the same right back at her. LOL :p:p:p Sophie came running to check on her man and Brick followed her down the ramp. :D:D:D

Budsters Mom
12-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Sooooooooo adorable!:) I needed to read that post today! Thanks for sharing it Leslie.:p

Harley PoMMom
12-10-2014, 03:55 PM
AAWWW, so cute!!

molly muffin
12-10-2014, 06:56 PM
What a laugh you must have had watching the two of them. I don't think it matters if they had sight or not, those two just wanted to occupy the same space. ROFL
That is too cute that he followed Sophie down and out, or out and down maybe I should say.
It is so cute the ways they bring joy to our lives.

hugs

Squirt's Mom
11-15-2015, 08:14 AM
My Itty Bitty Man is getting tired. When he came we estimated his age to be about the same as Squirt's which would mean he is around 17-18 years old now. I noticed this week he is losing weight so I am changing his food to a softer form hoping that will be easier to digest and use than the kibble he has been eating. His teeth are ok but getting worse since he can't have dentals so the softer food will help with that as well. He sleeps more and more, is less and less involved with the goings on around him, and will allow me to hold him for a long, long time - something he has never been able to do. He is still the happiest little dog in the whole world, tho, and loves his buddy Sophie. He has an indomitable spirit, one so full of love and joy I have never understood how that teeny tiny body could hold it all.

labblab
11-15-2015, 08:47 AM
Oh Les :o. Please give our precious boy a gentle hug for me, too. And of course he is full of love and joy, because he is embraced in your loving care. His heart came home the moment you first picked him up.

Auntie Marianne

Harley PoMMom
11-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Oh Leslie,

I am sorry to hear this news about sweet Brick :( Give him some hugs from me too. Keeping you, Brick, and all the dear furbabies in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs, Lori

judymaggie
11-15-2015, 11:06 AM
Leslie -- it is so very hard to see our pups slow down. Please give Brick a gentle hug from us!

Allison
11-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Hugs from one senior dog owner to another. Our toy poodle has slowed down in his speed, eats less, and loves naps more than in the past. It's hard to see.

bernie47
11-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Hi Leslie .. our Natcho slowed down ...long before she passed ..;)

Your boy has had a lovely home and i think he will be with you a lot longer yet ... Thank you for being there for him ..
Catherine ..Ken ..Lara & India .

molly muffin
11-15-2015, 07:58 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Brick is slowing down and time is catching up with him.
Big Hugs, getting older sucks.

Buffy & Trixie's Mom
11-28-2015, 06:52 AM
Awesome. Brings me to tears. Buffy's Mom.

I write but I have no words. (-:

Buffy & Trixie's Mom
11-28-2015, 06:55 AM
Keep you in our prayers. Buffy's Mom.

mcdavis
11-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Awwww, hugs for the little guy from me too.

Squirt's Mom
12-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Brick saw Doc this afternoon for his comprehensive annual exam. He passed with flying colors! He weighs about an oz less than the last time he was seen; I knew he had gained back most of the weight he had lost after changing him to the same feed Trink eats - Nature's Variety Raw Rabbit bites. Doc pronounced Brick was going to live forever. His teeth are horrendous but we won't put him under for a dental at his age - approximately 17. All in all, I am very happy with how he is doing these days and Doc was pleased as well.

labblab
12-23-2015, 06:37 PM
What fabulous news, Leslie -- an early Christmas present for us all! :D

I've been worrying about y'all today in the midst of these bad storms, so I'm doubly glad to see your post this evening and to know you're OK. :o :)

scoora
12-23-2015, 08:14 PM
That's good news Leslie.
Merry Christmas

Budsters Mom
12-23-2015, 11:07 PM
Great news indeed! Go Brick! :D

mcdavis
12-25-2015, 09:51 PM
So pleased to hear the good news :D

molly muffin
12-26-2015, 05:13 PM
What wonderful news Leslie!!
Happy Holidays indeed!

Allison
01-17-2016, 08:42 AM
Leslie, hi.

What a wonderful Christmas gift for your family! I'm happy to hear Brick is doing well. Incidentally, he eats the same kind of food our dog does. :-) Have a blessed 2016.

Squirt's Mom
01-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately something is wrong with my itty bitty man - more than likely neurological but we are not sure yet. I put some medicine in his ears last night to clean them and he started whirling to the left not long after. He has always done more turning than a normal pup, probably due to the hydrocephalus, but this is way beyond his normal spinning - it is almost constant and always to the left. He was marginally better this morning but I called Doc and took him in anyway. Tues' are Doc's surgery day but he left his OR to see us and gave Brick a Dex shot, told me not to use any more of the ear stuff and to take his Preventix collar off. Doc said the shot should help him and he should improve thru the day. I am to call and report in this afternoon and we will go from there. I had really hoped it was the ear med, something in his ear, or something other than neurological but Doc said that is more than likely the cause. Whether it is the fluid, progression of the hydrocephalus, a tumor, or what we don't know yet.

I have noticed small changes with him - like him not always sleeping in his little box and not barking but whining at meal times but put it off to age, heat, his teeth - never thinking about his brain. I pray this is inflammation in his ear after all or from his horrid teeth and the dex shot gives him some relief and it will simply go away.

He is in a large crate in the LR for now where he will be protected and I can see him. He is still spinning. He spins then sits, then spins then sits.....

I have been crying my eyes out since yesterday evening when this started and told Doc I wasn't ready to lose him, no where near ready. Doc said to try to stop crying, we aren't going to lose him, not today anyway. So I am trying.....but I am worried sick about my happy, happy boy. :(

lulusmom
01-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Oh, Les, I am so sorry to hear that your little man is not doing well. I too hope the steroid injection will help tamp things down. Please keep us posted and I'll be praying in the meantime.

(((Huge Hugs)))
G.

labblab
01-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Oh dear Leslie, I'm so sorry, too. I know you are sick with worry. I'm sending every healing wish to you that I can. Please, please let us know as the day progresses.

judymaggie
01-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Leslie -- sending gentle hugs to you and Brick! Am so hoping that, as the dex kicks in, he will be feeling better.

mcdavis
01-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about poor little Brick. I do hope it's something to do with the ear meds, and he improves once the shot starts to take effect. Do let us know how he's doing.
Hugs to all of you

molly muffin
01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Strange timing if it isn't the ear meds. I'm hoping, like you, fluid in the ear, has made his balance go all wicky wacky.

Keep us posted Leslie. BIG HUGS!

Squirt's Mom
01-19-2016, 04:22 PM
I just called Doc - Brick slept most of the day and woke up about an hour ago. I took him out to potty and back in. I told Doc he may be a teeny bit improved but he is still spinning to the left and leaning to the left. Doc said to give it over night and if he's not better in the morning to call him and we will try another med. So that's where we are now. Thanks for all the good thoughts and please keep them coming.

Harley PoMMom
01-19-2016, 08:23 PM
Oh Leslie, I'm just seeing this now, I know how much you are worried and am keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs, Lori

bernie47
01-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Healing prayers and belly rubs for you both ..Leslie

From Catherine & The girls Lara & India .

mcdavis
01-20-2016, 02:35 PM
Just popped by to see if there's any (hopefully good) news. Thinking about you all.
Take Care

Budsters Mom
01-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Thinking of you and our wee man. Ears can do funny things with balance. Let's hope it's as simple as that!

Please keeo us updated, ok?

Kathy

labblab
01-20-2016, 06:45 PM
I'm here, too, continuing to send healing thoughts and well wishes to you both!

Squirt's Mom
01-21-2016, 01:16 PM
By yesterday afternoon, Brick was pretty much back to his starting point, spinning rapidly and constantly so I called Doc. We went in this morning and Doc watched him move for a second then picked him up and started loving on him. Doc said the Dex should have lasted about a day, which it did, and he wanted to try another shot that should last a week. So he gave Brick a shot of Vetalog and we got to come home. I am to call Doc Monday morning unless Brick gets worse before then.

When Doc picked Brick up and started loving on him, I was afraid he was going to tell me it was time to let my itty bitty man go but instead as he gave the shot, he said for me not to give up on Brick just yet.

This is wearing Brick down, making him tired and he sleeps a whole lot. He slept all the way to vet's and we had to wake him for Doc to examine him - that is not my boy at all. He usually gets so stressed he is pacing and panting from the second we walk in the door. And he never ever sleeps while in the truck, never. Doc showed me his ears and they are clean as a whistle and not red or swollen - I had so hoped at least one of them was, but no. Doc said this could be a deep inner ear issue and the shot should help - it should help no matter what but if it is in the inner ear, it may give him a chance to get past the inflammation and back to his normal in a few days. But he still thinks it more likely something is going on with Brick's little brain - tumor, infection, inflammation there, or something. Again the shot should help but if that is the case, it will be a bandaid and nothing more.

Doing testing on Brick is very difficult on him so I haven't asked for a bunch of testing and Doc hasn't offered. We could put him thru more labs and an MRI or CT or _______ but the fact of the matter is, he is at least 17 yrs old, a miracle baby with Hydrocephalus, rubber joints, and blind to boot. Like with Squirt, there comes that time when I have to draw a line on what I will ask of my babies....and he has been too happy for too long to subject him to tests that terrify him and stress him to no end. If this doesn't settle down, I will send him to join Squirt as much as it tears my Soul to shreds to think about. For now, he is sleeping peacefully in his big crate in the LR and I am ever so happy to have him there. This moment is all any of us have and in this moment Brick is with me so I will try hard to be grateful for each and every moment.

Thank you all for your kind words and thought and prayers....please keep my itty bitty man in your thoughts. He is so incredibly special - I wish everyone of you could have met him in person. He makes everyone's heart so light with his obvious joy and delight. He is one of a kind for sure.

lulusmom
01-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Thank you so much for updating Brick's status. I agree with Dr. B., don't count your itty bitty man out just yet. I'm not sure it was a coincidence that Brick reacted so badly to drops in his ears. I think it could have very well triggered something in his inner ear that was already brewing. He's got issues and I don't believe everything in his little head is anatomically correct anyway so you can't count on him to react like a normal dog to anything. Many of his symptoms are associated with Vestibular disease, especially the head tilt and circling in one direction. He's been blind for a long time so I'm not sure Nystagmus (eyes darting back and forth), which is usually the thing people notice would be detectable in a hydrocephalic blind dog. If it is Vestibular disease, he could bounce back this week or it could take a few weeks to see him improve. Just keep him comfy and let him know you are with him, like that was ever not the case. :)

I'm praying for both of you and sending super positive energy your way.

Hugs,
Glynda

Harley PoMMom
01-21-2016, 03:41 PM
You and Brick are in my thoughts and prayers too.

Love and hugs, Lori

molly muffin
01-21-2016, 06:25 PM
You know I am right here with you in spirit Leslie. I wouldn't count that itty bitty man out yet either. Lets see how he is next month. :) next year? :) :) :)

judymaggie
01-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Prayers and healing thoughts are still coming from us!

mcdavis
01-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Definitely keeping Brick, you and yours in my thoughts and prayers, and also hoping you're not affected by that storm. I thought of you when I heard them mentioning AK on the news. Stay safe

My sweet Ginger
01-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Sending healing thoughts and hugs to your and Brick's way.

molly muffin
01-22-2016, 06:43 PM
How is Brick doing today Leslie?

Squirt's Mom
01-23-2016, 10:24 AM
My little man seems a bit better. As long as he moves slowly he can get where he wants to go but if he's excited or in a hurry all he does is spin to the left. He remains very much left-oriented so that even when going slowly he veers to the left but he can get back on track. He still holds his head way to the left and holds that left ear oddly compared to the right. I am praying this means there is something going on deep inside that left ear causing this. He is on his usual round of Baytril for his teeth and Doc said that should help any infection he may have going on.

He eats differently, very slowly and has trouble with the the canned foods - he handles the raw bites which are little pillows just fine but doesn't seem to remember to take bites of the canned - he just licks and licks and licks til it's gone. I place him with his plate to his left side instead of straight on and he manages to get to all that is on his plate that way. I may need to turn it a bit for him once or twice but that is better than turning it every few bites like we were before.

He has managed to find his box the last few nights without help, too, and that is an improvement for him. During the day, I put him in the big crate in the LR so I can keep an eye on him and know he is safe. He sleeps most of the day right there.

Another change for him that brings mixed feelings is that now he can be held for long periods of time. Before he couldn't be still long enough to be held very long at all - after less than a minute he was kicking and twisting to be down and going. Now he lays his head against my chest and will stay that way for a long, long time. It is very sweet and oh so nice to hold him like that but I also know that indicates a big change for him. I know this has to be very tiring for him; he works so hard to get anywhere, and I tell myself that is why I am able to hold him now - he's just worn out from working so hard to get from point A to point B.

His appetite remains good, no nausea, bodily functions remain normal, and when I take him out he still takes time to sniff out his surroundings.

Sophie and he are big buddies, playing together and often found laying together....she is having as hard a time with this as I am but as usual the nurse in her comes out and she is constantly checking on him in his crate in the LR. I got up last nite at one point to find her asleep on the floor outside the door to his little box. Sweet girl, my Soph.

Budsters Mom
01-23-2016, 06:43 PM
It sounds like our itty, bitty, boy, is a itty-bitty bit better today! We'll take it! :p

Continuing to sends tons of healing energy out to you and all of your little ones.

Hugs,
Kathy

mcdavis
01-23-2016, 10:05 PM
Just so pleased to hear you're seeing some improvement. Keeping little Brick in my thoughts - gentle hugs.

Budsters Mom
01-25-2016, 06:40 PM
So, how is Brick today???

molly muffin
01-25-2016, 07:25 PM
It does sound like something in that ear doesn't it

Squirt's Mom
01-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Brick is about the same - not really better, but not really worse so I will take that gladly. This morning he was able to come up the ramp without being rescued because he was spinning and that is a step forward....but he couldn't stop spinning to get in his box to sleep last nite and needed help.

His appetite is still great, bodily functions normal, no nausea. He always gets Clindamycin for the first week of every month plus 10 days on Baytril in the middle of the month for his teeth. I made the call, with Doc's approval, to continue the Baytril for now.

Thanks so much for checking on him and please keep those prayers, healing energies, and positive thoughts going for my itty bitty man.

molly muffin
01-26-2016, 06:37 PM
Maybe it will just take time for him to come right with the spinning. It sounds like everything else health wise is good with him. So hoping this too shall pass.

mcdavis
01-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Just dropped in to see if there was any update. I hope all is well. Thinking about Brick, and all of you.

Squirt's Mom
01-29-2016, 08:36 AM
Thanks for checking on us!

I thought yesterday morning that he was going backward and would need another shot but by the time I got back from my doc appt, he was doing ok. He woke up really spinning again but then straightened out and was able to get where he wanted to go the rest of the day. This morning he woke up without the excess spinning so I'm holding off on asking for another shot. ;)

mcdavis
01-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Keeping absolutely everything possible to cross, crossed :)

mcdavis
02-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Just dropping by to let you know we're still keeping you in our thoughts.

Joan2517
02-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Me too!!

Joan

Squirt's Mom
04-08-2016, 08:39 AM
You are all so special for thinking of my itty bitty man!

I am so very happy to say that Brick is so so much better. Glynda said all along she thought this was old dog vestibular disease and I do believe she was correct - as usual! ;)

Brick is still left-oriented but not near as much as he was a month ago. He is more and more able to move in a straight line or go to the right. He still starts spinning a bit when he gets excited but not near as fast or for as long as he did. He is able to come out of the spin on his own. I am still helping him at meal times by carrying him to his bowl because the idea of eating is just so VERY exciting to him. :D He dearly loves to eat. All his bodily functions are normal and he remains the happiest little dog in the world!

mcdavis
04-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Just so pleased to hear that little Brick is doing better :D :D :D :D

lulusmom
04-08-2016, 08:24 PM
The Brickman just keeps rolling along. The video of him going crazy hearing your voice was priceless. What a difference! Of course I watched that video over and over and cried every time. I just read Trink's update and am so happy that she is doing so well too. I'm not surprised that both have made such amazing recoveries and are once again the happy little campers they've always been under your incredible loving care.

Squirt's Mom
04-22-2016, 02:55 PM
My itty bitty man quit eating Thurs. He ate about a third of his supper Wed.evening then nothing more. So we went to see Doc B this morning. Doc gave him a shot that had Vit B12, a long acting antibiotic and a steroid in it, put two pockets of ringers lactate under his skin, and gave him an appetite stimulant in the office plus sent some home with us. Brick is to take that every 2-3 days until he is eating on his own again. Doc is hoping this will jump start him and clear up some congestion in his respiratory, mostly in his nose. We came home, I fixed him a little bit of food, and Brick ate it! :cool::cool::cool: I was first so glad to come back home with him and really glad that he ate. He has been acting more like his usual self - roaming around the house, in and out the door (which is staying open in this nice weather), laying in the sun a while then back in to one of the beds to lay around, and loving on Sophie, who is his buddy.

For a dog who is about 120 years old in people years, he does indeed just keep on rolling along! :)

Joan2517
04-22-2016, 04:41 PM
I just read your whole thread for the first time from beginning to end. What a time the little guy has had. We have a Chihuahua also. She's a teacup and her name is Doree and she is getting up there in age. She is 11 and weighs about 5 lbs. She is sleeping a lot more and is getting very white. It's funny, it seems since Lena died the rest of them have aged, even Gable has gone white, eyelashes, chin and some on the top of his head.

I am so caught up in Brick's life! He certainly is a marvel and was lucky to have found you...

judymaggie
04-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Leslie -- thank goodness Brick is bouncing back! You must have been so scared. Curious what appetite stimulant the vet gave him ...

Harley PoMMom
04-22-2016, 08:00 PM
So glad to hear that dear Brick is feeling better!!! Sending you all huge loving hugs, Lori

Squirt's Mom
04-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Judy, Doc gave him 15mg Mirtazapine. They are teeny tiny pills that dissolve in water.

Joan, Brick is one of the greatest blessings in my life. He is the single happiest dog I have ever met. The rest of my babies are all female so Brick has a harem and he has always kept a tight, loving and gently control over his women - his mom included! :D My Pug is his best bud and they are so cute together.

Joan2517
04-23-2016, 09:18 AM
A harem! Well that explains the happiness ;)

Squirt's Mom
04-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Brick is not eating at all today. Night before last he only licked at his supper but ate a little bit via syringe for me. Yesterday he took chicken broth and gruel made with the broth and his canned rabbit via syringe. Today he is spitting it all out, refusing to swallow anything. He has had a couple of sips of water on his own today. We have an appt with Doc this afternoon to see if there is anything else he can try to help get my itty bitty man back on his feet again. It is obvious he is quite tired. I want miracles of course and will let you know if we got one after we see Doc. For now, I'm gonna go sit in the recliner with him in my lap - something he could never be still enough for until now - and treasure every second of it.

labblab
04-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Huge hugs being sent across the miles. If ever there was a day when I wished I could deliver a hug in person, this would be it.

Holding you and your precious lil man in my heart.

Joan2517
04-27-2016, 12:35 PM
I hope for a miracle for you as well...hugging you and Brick virtually...

Squirt's Mom
04-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Thanks, ya'll. Sophie and Fox had dentals today and we are ALL back home again! :) Doc gave Brick more ringers lactate under the skin and another steroid shot and sent us home with more appetite stimulants. Brick is walking around the kitchen now which is more than he has done in two days. I just gave him the stimulant and have his supper ready so I hope he will eat at least a little bit for me tonite. Doc said his heart sounded notably worse today than it did Fri but otherwise he checks out ok for a very old dog. I am very glad to have him home again - I really didn't think he would be coming back today. If this doesn't hold any longer than it did Fri tho, Doc said we should probable let him go. Brick shows no signs of suffering - no whining or crying, no panting as if in pain, he's just very tired. He didn't even try to wiggle while Doc was giving him the ringers today. Brick had lost from 4.4 lbs to 4 lbs since Fri. I will know more in a day or two if this is going to do any better than it did Fri.

molly muffin
04-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Oh Leslie I am so sorry to hear that your little man isn't doing well. It sure does suck to see them get older and more tired and just not able to do the things they love to do so much. :(

Let us know how he is doing.

Harley PoMMom
04-27-2016, 09:07 PM
Sending loving hugs your way, dear Leslie.

judymaggie
04-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Leslie--I so wish Brick would show signs of perking up. Hugs to you during this stressful time!

Squirt's Mom
04-28-2016, 01:55 PM
My itty bitty man has his sight back today. His legs are straight and strong, his skull free of fluid. Today Brick can walk a straight line for as long as he wishes, he can truly stomp and bounce and frolic, tossing his head while barking like mad, wagging his tail 90-to-nothing with no chance of falling down or bashing into anything. All that this life failed to perfect in his teeny body is now his in spades. I know his sissies Gia and Squirt were there to meet him as he Crossed over as were all his brothers and sisters who shared a portion of their lives with him.

I was blessed to be able to be his mom for these too few years, oh so blessed. The joy he brought into our lives cannot be expressed in words. Watching him play with Sophie, seeing his utter delight over food of any kind at any time, watching him round up all the women in the house and give them a talking to when they got too rowdy, seeing him tuck that tiny butt and step out high and long in his version of a run, those rare moments he could be still long enough to let me hold him for a minute before the kiss came followed by strong kicks to be let go so he could get on about the business of his day. My little pin ball, my little Sheikh, my itty bitty man, my joy, my man of the house, I will miss you so for all my days. I love you so.

Joan2517
04-28-2016, 02:13 PM
Oh, Leslie...I am so sorry for you, but happy that he is at peace.

Renee
04-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Oh Leslie, I am so sorry. What a beautiful, beautiful tribute to a special little man. Funny how the simplest of things about these babies are the things that touch our hearts. Dogs are superior beings.

Sail on fast and free Brick.

molly muffin
04-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Shouldn't read this at work. My heart broke into a million pieces to read this news. I know he is is in a better place and healthy once again, but it doesn't make the sorrow of loss any less.
Hugs and my sincerest condolences.

Joan2517
04-28-2016, 02:32 PM
I know, I'm bawling at my desk....

spdd
04-28-2016, 02:45 PM
When I first read your facebook page, I thought "wow" that's some veterinarian you had and then a little further down, my heart sank and I cried not only for Brick but especially for you and what you are going through. I wish I lived near you...... I am sooo sorry Leslie. He is running free for sure, but just wish our own hearts could be that free of the pain and grief. Thinking about you as always dear lady. RIP little man.

labblab
04-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Oh Leslie. I am here and continue to hold you in my heart. We will never, ever forget your sweetest boy, and we are always here for you. Always. We love you, and each and every one of your precious babies. Our whole family has lost a baby today, and the tears are falling. I know Brick's spirit is running free, but I'm beyond sorry for your loss. There are just no words.

judymaggie
04-28-2016, 03:21 PM
I saw this and had to read it twice -- it just didn't sink in. Leslie, my heart goes out to you. Your tribute was so wonderful -- you are an amazing person to be able to put your feelings into such heartwarming words. Run free, sweet Brick!

Harley PoMMom
04-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Oh dear Leslie, I am so terribly sorry.....

DoxieMama
04-28-2016, 03:43 PM
What beautiful, loving words you wrote for your little one. I haven't commented til now but I have been following along silently lately and am so sorry to hear of your loss. But again, what a beautiful picture you painted.

Run fast and free, little Brick.

mytil
04-28-2016, 04:19 PM
Dearest Leslie,
I am truly sorry but like you said he is now pain free.
((((hugs))))
Terry

mommyslittlegirl
04-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Leslie , I am very sorry for your loss of sweet Brick. You were always a comfort to me. Today I cry with you. Dawn

bernie47
04-28-2016, 10:30 PM
My thoughts are with you always ...my friend , may you find inner peace knowing you were there for Brick ...when he needed you no matter what .
((( Hugs ))) from us all Catherine & Ken & fur babies .

Squirt's Mom
04-29-2016, 08:12 AM
Thank you all so much. I miss him so. It's starting to storm here and he was always so afraid of storms so as much as I am glad he no longer has to go thru that fear his absence is that much more obvious.

My sweet Ginger
04-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Oh Leslie, my deepest condolences to you who has the biggest heart and courage. I truly admire you for what you are doing for these poor babies. You put me to shame for not being able to even foster pups in fear of not being able to say good bye after their stay with me. But here you are, taking on these special needs pups in their twilight years fully knowing what you are getting yourself into. Over and over again. That is having the biggest heart and courage to me.
I'm so thankful to you for giving Brick the happiest few years that otherwise he wouldn't have had if it weren't for you. You are an angel and Brick was one very smart boy for having finally picked you as his mom in his later years. In return for your true love and tlc he gave you many sweet, happy memories that will last for many, many years.
Yea, I know. How these tiniest ones can leave such a huge void in your heart. You are not alone. We all feel your pain and sadly I know you will have to shed many, many tears. I still can't talk about Ginger without crying. Please take care of yourself and be strong for your babies. Hugs, Song.

Spiceysmum
04-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Leslie, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet Brick. He had the best life since being with you and I know you will miss him so much. Thinking of you.

Linda X

scoora
04-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Leslie,
I am so very sorry to hear about your sweet little Brick.
He was lucky to have been part of your family and your were lucky to have him to love.
My condolences and hugs.

mcdavis
05-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Oh Leslie, I am just so very sorry to hear about Brick. I really don't know what to say, but I will keep you and Brick's harem in my thoughts.

You have given each other so much love and created so many happy memories which I hope will provide some comfort.

Budsters Mom
05-03-2016, 10:41 PM
Oh Leslie, I am so sorry to read this about an hour itty-bitty man. Such a sweet little boy. He will be missed.:o

Fly free little man, fly free!!

Trish
05-14-2016, 12:44 AM
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( So sorry Leslie, Brick was such a good little guy... a big hole in your heart... but knowing how big your heart is I am sure you will find some other little doggie darling that needs your tender loving care and they will make your heart grow even bigger than it already is xxxxxxxxx

Squirt's Mom
05-15-2016, 09:22 AM
I miss my itty bitty man so very much. I still hear his peculiar steps and his funny ACK! ACK! bark. When I go outside in the mornings I find myself still picking up gum balls so he won't stumble over them and sticks so he can't hurt his eyes on them...then I remember and stand there crying. Sophie has gotten several extra goodies at meal times because I fix his plate because that is what I am supposed to do at meal times...it's not until I call out his name for his turn to come that I remember. Every rumble of thunder means I need to get his medicine and tea ready; every head count when I leave the house is wrong because there aren't four heads to count; his little box is way too light when I lift it to see if he is in there sleeping. Sophie still picks up a toy and wanders thru the house looking for her buddy to play with. Life is just not right without my itty bitty guy - we women are out of balance without the man of the house around. This little 4lb boy has left a megaton crater in my heart.

Joan2517
05-15-2016, 11:10 AM
Oh, Leslie, how I know all of these feelings :(. I'm still looking for Lena everywhere. Her meds are all still on the counter, I just can't bring myself to get rid of them. I still reach out for her at night and wait for her to lick my face to wake me up in the morning. I'm searching all of my old pictures just to catch a glimpse of her in them.

It's so hard.....

apollo6
05-20-2016, 09:54 PM
I am so sorry to here about the lose of your sweet little Brick. The hole they leave in our heart can not be filled. Sweet Brick may you be healthy and whole running free in heaven.
Love Sonja, Apollo

Harley PoMMom
05-21-2016, 11:01 AM
((((Hugs))))

mytil
05-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Very big (((((hugs)))))
T.

Allison
06-10-2016, 10:01 AM
Belated hugs! I've been away from this forum for a couple of months, but wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss of Brick.

Reading some of your early and recent posts, Brick reminds me a lot of our senior adopted dog Gizmo. We lost him a year ago in May. He had more zest for life that we'd ever seen in an animal or person. He loved to smile, wag his tail, and just be part of everything. When he started to go downhill, it was heartbreaking to watch. This lively boy started to become this shell who couldn't walk well nor would he eat.

You wrote a beautiful tribute to Brick. You made me cry. And to dream. Won't it be so wonderful when we get to see our pets again whom we've lost? And won't it be so special to see them in full health and personality again?

It's been a year since our Gizmo died. Much of what he owned, we've been able to pack or give away. His medications though are still on the counter and his bedding is still in our room. Pets leave such large footprints on our lives. Take care of yourself.

Squirt's Mom
04-28-2017, 07:13 PM
It's been a year since my itty bitty man had to leave. His body was teeny but his heart and soul were gigantic. His mission was to bring joy and he did that very very well...he was such a special guy. All day random memories have been breaking out - Brick stomping around the kitchen, tossing his head and yapping that weird little bark of his; he and Sophie playing, her so gentle and understanding, he so"fierce" and determined; him dashing down the hall to the front door when someone knocked, his head held high, ears forward, deeply curious and protective of his domain. I miss him almost as much as I do Squirt. :(:(:(