PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance

sunimist
10-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations on pet insurance? :confused:

AlisonandMia
10-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I don't have any ideas on pet insurance myself but if you go here: http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/search-results?s=pet+insurance you'll find (among other things) some articles and discussions on the pet insurance issue.

Alison

lulusmom
10-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Shelba, I think the best way to figure out which company has the best coverage is to ask the billing person in your vet's office.

k9diabetes
10-09-2010, 11:05 PM
We are trying it for the first time with our dog we adopted two years ago. He is insured with VPI for major medical, not the routine preventative stuff.

Despite his being a young dog, we have filed a couple of claims. The most recent was for a little over $600 in vet visits, x-rays, and a neurology consult. They paid $400 on the claim. I thought that was pretty good as our premium is only about $300 per year.

Of course, we never had insurance before so any reimbursement seems pretty good to us! Our senior diabetic, who passed away in 2008, was costing us more like $500 a month with no insurance to help.

We plan to continue it in case his disk disease problem winds up requiring an MRI or surgery.

I know the ASPCA offers a plan.

Natalie

Franklin'sMum
10-10-2010, 07:41 AM
For those in Australia, and thinking about insurance, I highly recommend Petplan http://www.petplan.com.au It doesn't cover pre-existing conditions (as you'd expect), doesn't have sub-limits, and doesn't have breed exclusions.
It doesn't cover routine care, like worming and vaccs, but covers only accident and/or illness (which is the stuff that can cost a pretty penny, as we all know.)

I know that is of no help to those in other countries :o, but it may help with crossing companies off the list if they don't offer as much coverage. (BTW, I don't work for them, I'm just very happy with their product and customer service :)).

Jane, Franklin and Bailey xxx

Squirt's Mom
10-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Hi Shelba,

Is Suni needing the insurance? I hope it's just for "in case" and not that she has problems. :( She is just too sweet and cute, and you deserve a break!

Don't have any other input on the insurance....just this to offer -
HUGS!
Leslie

Carin
12-27-2010, 09:09 AM
This thread is a couple of months old, I see, but I thought I'd check again and see if anyone has any more positive or negative experiences to report with the various pet insurance companies. After a veterinary year that's pushing the $10k mark ($4000+ for hospitalization for my middle dog the fall, who didn't make it, and now the same again for Dunc's diagnostics, surgery, and followup), I'm seriously thinking about insuring my healthy 3yo dog while he doesn't have any preexisting conditions!

I've been reading about the various companies at http://www.pet-insurance-university.com/ - recommended by someone on the Cockers list - which I've found helpful. From that and other sites, it appears that people have had very good experiences with VPI in terms of customer service, but that their reimbursement rates are low, especially if you live in a major metro area where vet costs are high. PetPlan seems to have better reimbursement rates, though there seems to be some concern about their change of underwriter and some people have complained about the process for renewing their policies every year. For my money, good reimbursement rates are a good thing, but probably not at the expense of endless bureaucratic hassles. I'd be curious to hear more reports from any of you who have pet insurance, especially since we'd sure be testing their services with our Cushdogs!

Thanks,

Carin
(and Duncan, who's definitely feeling a bit better this morning)

Spiceysmum
12-28-2010, 03:07 AM
Hi Carin,

I have had pet insurance for over 13 years and have had more than my premiums back every year. You have to make sure you choose ones that cover ongoing conditions at renewal as some only cover for one year. Spicey was covered from 1 year of age for immunotherapy injections for atopy and then later for her Cushings and Brin has had more than his moneys worth too! Until they were 8 years old we used to get all of the cost back minus a £50 excess but after that we had to pay the excess plus 20% of the remainder which was still worth it considering how much we would have had to pay to treat Cushings without insurance.

I am in the UK so can't really recommend a particular company but Petplan do have a good name, that is not the company I am with though. No company will cover any pre-existing conditions but I would recommend starting insurance for any dog while it is still young and healthy. Good Luck.

Linda

Carin
12-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks, Linda. PetPlan here in the US does seem to offer flexible plans, with a choice of deductible and annual coverage maximum. Having read through dozens of reviews it's clear they're among the couple of top-rated companies. (People also seem to love a company called "Embrace", but their track record is much shorter.) And now is clearly the time to insure Harry, my 3-year-old. By the time I first thought of looking into insurance a few years ago (naturally, after another very expensive veterinary year), Duncan was already over 10 and therefore uninsurable under the plans available then, not to mention the fact that he'd already torn an ACL and been diagnosed with two chronic diseases. And my then-six-year-old middle dog had already had allergies, pancreatitis, and numerous infections, as well as congenital eye problems. With Harry, the only thing on record so far is a couple of intestinal parasites :-)

Carin

k9diabetes
12-28-2010, 12:30 PM
VPI this year is offering a more advanced plan with higher reimbursement rates I believe if you want more comprehensive coverage.

Natalie

Carin
12-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Natalie - interesting! Are they introducing the new plan in 2011?

k9diabetes
12-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I think so, yes. Ours was set to renew in November and this was an additional option.

Natalie

lulusmom
12-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I've been thinking about getting insurance for Jasper and Buster and ran across a company called Trupanion. You can get a quote and they provide comparisons for five or six major pet insurance companies, including VIP. I was not aware that most companies increase your premiums as your dog ages. :mad:

http://www.trupanionpetinsurance.com/Why_Choose_Trupanion_Pet_Health_Insurance/Quote-And-Compare-Companies-Comparison-Charts?gclid=CM-QwY7QkqYCFY64KgodzlNkng

Carin
12-29-2010, 07:18 PM
One thing I've learned from my researches so far is to investigate very carefully how the various companies handle chronic conditions. I'm now leaning towards PetPlan because they place no separate limits on chronic condition coverage, providing the condition wasn't preexisting before the coverage started. VPI, for example, in some states, limits payout for chronic conditions to 25% of the annual max, and we all know how the expenses for Cushing's can mount. The plan profiles at http://www.pet-insurance-university.com/ are very helpful in sorting this out. I'm leaning against any company that imposes a lifetime maximum, rather than an annual maximum.

Carin

clydetheboosmom
01-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi -

I know this thread is older, but I wanted to chime in and say that I have had VPI for my two dogs since they were 2 and 1, and it has more than paid for itself. Although there is no "perfect" plan out there, it seemed to be more user-friendly, easier to understand, and pays out fairly well.

I never had the routine coverage, either, but I did get a $12,000 per year cancer rider which has brought a lot of piece of mind.

Good luck!

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

Carin
01-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks to everyone who weighed in. I ended up getting Harry (my younger dog) PetPlan insurance, Silver Plan, with a $12,000/yr limit. Cancer and hereditary, genetic, and chronic conditions are covered as part of the plan as long as they are not preexisting. Now let's hope it works like bringing an umbrella!

Carin

jrepac
01-04-2011, 07:06 PM
I had VPI for my Mandy during her entire lifetime...boy, it's gone up in price! (was like $50 back in 1997, now over $300...I had just renewed in August)

others hit on its weakness with re-occurring chronic conditions; they would not pay me for a 2nd ACTH test one year later! kind of ridiculous....certain diseases require repeated testing....

but, it did come in handy for her 2 cruciate ligament ruptures....cost $3200 to fix her up and I got $1600 back.

I will shop around a bit this time before choosing a plan for Pebbles.

Jeff & Angel Mandy

Bailey's Mom
02-22-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm just looking into this. www.petinsurancereview.com has comprehensive comparisons. They will also get quotes for you.
-Susan

Carin
02-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks, Susan. I used that site, and I ended up going with Petplan. I haven't had any claims so far, but am feeling good about having the insurance.

Carin

clydetheboosmom
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi -

I have had VPI for Bailey and Clyde for the last 13 years, and it has been more than worth it.

I have the non-routine coverage and a cancer rider of $10,000 per year.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Lynne, Bailey & Angel Clyde

k9diabetes
12-09-2014, 05:29 PM
I recently tracked down this post when someone asked me about pet insurance and asked for quotes through the review site.

Our VPI coverage does not usually reimburse everything - we have sort of a middle of the road plan and coverage of preventative care - but helps considerably with the cost.

VPI's premium was by far the lowest of the five plans for which we received quotes for a seven year old dog. And they are good about reimbursing - no questions asked, no grilling. In fact, I called them once about ongoing diagnostics and the person on the phone encouraged me to file a claim.

If I decide to switch... been considering more comprehensive coverage as our dog gets older but have to consider what would now be pre-existing conditions for him..., I probably would go with PetPlan - it was about $22 more per month - $38 vs. $60 - for a seven-year-old dog.

Natalie