PDA

View Full Version : For Harley: My Little Demon dog

StarDeb55
10-07-2010, 10:48 AM
My little demon dog, you came home to be a friend to a dearly loved mother who was becoming lost to her daughter & the world from the ravages of Alzheimer’s disease. Prior to your arrival, I was told, “If you bring that dog home, he is yours. I want nothing to do with him!” You knew what to do to penetrate the fog that was claiming Mom. The two of you became devoted friends, & you became her “little black & white gentleman.”

You had a sixth sense that there was something awful happening to your Mom, & gradually started building a closer friendship with me & Barkley. After Mom could no longer stay with us at home, you would always bring a smile to her face, & joy to her heart when we went to see her at the care center. She knew you by name, & that you were her pup, when she no longer knew me. Such is the power of the human, animal bond that it can even penetrate the destruction of Alzheimer’s. I will always be grateful to you for what you did for Mom in those last years.

As the years passed, our relationship became strong. I depended on you more than you know when Barkley began his final illness. I knew that you were always there to keep Barkley company when I couldn’t be. Yes, you could be totally aggravating with your picky eating habits, but I think you were just telling me that you were just more discriminating than the average dog. You have always been my talker, telling me when you’re upset, complaining when something is not right, & getting in my face to simply say, “Hey, it’s me, put the book down. or get off the blasted computer, & give me some attention!” I do not think I will like the quiet, nor not having the “world’s smallest boss” to keep me on the straight & narrow.

Good-bye, my little demon dog, my Harley! Mom & Barkley are waiting for you, & I am so happy that at least 3 of you are together, again. I will see all of you, again.

Your 2nd Mom always,
Debbie

labblab
10-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Fare thee well, little Harley. Today the little demon dog will truly become an angel...

With so many (((hugs))) to you Debbie.
Always in loving memory of yours and your mom's precious baby boy.

Marianne

sunimist
10-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Godspeed sweet boy. You have many dear little angels awaiting your arrival in Fur Heaven. They will make sure you don't arrive alone. R.I.P. dear Harley.
In Loving memory forever.

(((HUGS))) to you Debbie

Squirt's Mom
10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Fly free, Harley, fly free. You are much loved and will be deeply missed. Watch over your mom here and let her know you are alright now.

Always in loving memory of you, dear Harley.

With hugs to you, Debbie,
Leslie

frijole
10-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Rest in peace dear sweet angel Harley. And now you can eat lots and lots of wonderful food. Run free of pain. Know that we all grew to love you through your wonderful mom. See you on the other side. We will miss you terribly. Aunt Kim

Roxee's Dad
10-07-2010, 03:11 PM
(((Hugs))) to you Debbie.

You stole my heart....You are deeply loved and will be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace our little Angel, You are our newest and brightest star in the sky.

Sabre's Mum
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Fly free dear little Harley ... and lots of HUGS to your Debbie.

Angela

Harley PoMMom
10-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Huge hugs to you Debbie.

Rest in peace sweet angel Harley.

Lori

mypuppy
10-07-2010, 04:45 PM
God Bless you Harley, Debbie.

With much love, Jeanette and Princess

SachiMom
10-07-2010, 05:55 PM
God speed Harley.
You will be missed more than words can express.
Run and play with our angels.
~Mary Ann

John II
10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Run fast and free sweet Harley.
Play and jump and chase the others.
Your (2nd) mother found the strength to release you from your pain,
and now you're back with your first mum and all the cush angels.
Rest in peace sweet demon dog.

Hugs to you Debbie.

Franklin'sMum
10-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Romp and play, sweet Harley
Hugs and much love,
Jane

Bichonluver3
10-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Oh, Debbie, I am soooo sorry for your loss. Sweet Harley was always front and center in this forum and we all got to know him and love him. Right now I share your pain and tears. Please find some peace in knowing how good a Mom you were to him and how your love and care helped him live a long life. You made all the right choices and helped so many others here make right choices for their pups. You have become our strength and I want you to know that we stand beside you to be your strength during this difficult time.

Rest in peace precious Harley. May you now run like the wind through the sunny fields of Heaven with Barkley and all the other Cush-angels. Your first Mom is there to give you all the cuddles and tummy rubs you could ever want. But we will miss you, little guy.

We will watch our desert sky tonight to see the newest, brightest star and know all is well with you.

God bless you both.
All our love, thoughts and prayers are with you both.
Carrol & Chloe

bkdice
10-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Sending you love on from every direction.

(((hugs)))

MY FOREVER FRIEND

I know that it must be different,
now that I am no longer there.
I realize how much I was loved
and how all of you did care.

I know it will be hard at first
when you look around for me.
Expecting to find me in my bed
or beside my favorite tree.

Someday you will begin to see
although it’ll take some time,
the happy times you shared with me,
the memories are yours and mine.

I’ll remember you, my friends,
and how much you meant to me.
So please don’t grieve and don’t be sad,
it was just my time to leave.

bernie47
10-08-2010, 10:49 AM
our thoughts are with you ..now and forever Catherine & ebonie ..

addy
10-14-2010, 01:48 PM
For the love of a dog and it is forever.

Addy

hfurlotte
10-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Play hard on Rainbow Bridge Harley........Deb we are sending hugs to you at this extremely difficult time. Hugs from Zoe Claire and Heather

clydetheboosmom
10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Ah, Deb. Hugs to you. I'm so sorry.

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

StarDeb55
11-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Well, my dear little boy, it's been a month since you have left us. I miss you more than you know. I know Chewy misses you as he won't let me out of his sight because I know he's thinking, "my friend disappeared, I don't want you to disappear, too!!" The nights are the hardest. I am so used to seeing you curled up into a little ball right by my pillow, that I'm still looking for you. I have to tell myself that you are only there in spirit.

Rest in peace. Take care of Mom & Barkley.

Debbie

sunimist
11-08-2010, 02:01 PM
(((HUGS))) Deb. I know what you are going through.
Keeping you and Chewy in my thoughts and prayers.

Shelba and Suni~~

labblab
11-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Debbie, I am thinking of you, too. And sending many hugs.

Marianne

Casey's Mom
11-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Debbie, I am thinking of you and Harley. Take care of yourself and give Chewy an extra hug.

Roxee's Dad
11-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Sharing your heartache and tears...

Big (((Hugs)))

John II
11-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Dear Debbie,

I am also thinking of you and Harley.
Sending hugs from far away.

BestBuddy
11-09-2010, 03:44 AM
With you in spirit.
Time doesn't take away the pain but it does make it easier to bear.

Jenny

bkdice
11-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Debbie - you remain in my thoughts. I know every milestone hurts. Sending big hugs to you.

StarDeb55
12-03-2010, 05:51 PM
It has gotten slightly easier except for this week. I woke up very earlier Tues. morning with an absolutely horrible case of the stomach flu. I was so sick, I couldn't even keep water down. I ran a temp of 102 that night. The best little nurse in the world was not there for the first time. Any time I was sick, Harley would stick right with me in bed, cuddle up as if to say, "I'm here to help." He would frequently get up, come around, & look me in the eye, if I was awake, as if to say, "Can I do anything? I'm here if you need me." I was fine by Weds. evening, but I sure did miss my little male nurse.

Debbie

mytil
12-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Oh Debbie,

My continued ((((((hugs))))))
T.

bkdice
12-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Glad to 'see you' on here. Sorry you were so sick.

I know you miss your boy whole heartedly. He sure was a lucky boy to be so very loved.

Wishing you peace and warm thoughts.

fivebichons
12-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh Debbie,

This has really been one of the most difficult times popping back in on the cushings family. I have the kleenex box sitting right next to me. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your 'demon doggy' Harley. I'll call him "High Maintenance" Harley. :) That's what I call mine.

What a blessing it was that your mom was able to recognize him through the Alzheimers. That is truly amazing. It shows what healers our companions truly are. They just warm our hearts and souls.

I hope you are feeling better and your heart is healing a little each day.

Lots of hugs,
Heidi and the high maintenance bichons

StarDeb55
04-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Dearest Harley, you left Chewy & me, 6 months ago, this coming Thursday. It's terribly hard for me to believe that it has been 6 months already. I think about you every day, & will miss you until you, Barkley, Mom, & me, meet up, again. I'm sure you know that Obi came to join me & Chewy, a little over 2 months ago. Obi was never to replace you, but to honor you as I know you were whispering to me, "Can't you find a place in your heart for a new pup who needs a good home?" It took awhile as you know I can be kind of "thick" at times, but I finally found Obi. He has been a challenge as there hasn't been a young dog in the house in a very, very long time. Obi is as young as you were when I brought you home in 1996. I know that you are reminding me to be patient, & teach him the rules of "canine good citizenship". Obi is learning fast, & I hope that you will be proud of both of us, once Obi is the pup, I know that he can be. I hope you & Barkley are having a great time with Mom watching over you. I know that all 3 of you are watching over all 3 of us.

Forever your 2nd Mom,
Debbie

hfurlotte
04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi Debbie,
Just wanted to send hi your way and I have a hard time believing Harley went to rainbow bridge 6 months ago :( Congratulations on getting your pup and I know Harley is watching you do a wonderful job with the new addition :)
Forever in our hearts.

Hugs always,
Heather and Zoe Claire

mypuppy
04-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Debbie,

Thinking of you....:( :(

Xo Jeanette

lulusmom
04-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Aaaawww, that made me tear up.

StarDeb55
10-06-2011, 04:56 AM
Well, little man, you have been gone a year. It's hard to believe that a year has passed. I think you may have given Obi the "go ahead" sign, so Obi has now taken your place by my pillow when we go to bed. I guess both of you knew that I missed that little fur butt curled up by my head & shoulders. I chuckle, now, at meal times that I have 2 pups who eat kibble with gusto, & never turn their nose up at anything I put down. To be honest, I miss the challenge of your "gourmet palate". You were never a little demon dog, but always the little black & white gentleman. The little black & white gentleman will always hold a special place in my heart. I know you, Barkley, & Mom are together, so please keep an eye on us, & I will see the 3 of you, again.

Your 2nd Mom,
Debbie

mytil
10-06-2011, 07:54 AM
(((((hugs))))) Debbie.

T.

addy
10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
more hugs from me too, Deb
addy

Cyn719
10-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Debbie -

what a beautiful post - made me cry - what beautiful thoughts and memories you have -- sending HUGS - SPECIAL THOUGHTS AND PRAYES XO

Harley PoMMom
10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Sending huge and loving hugs.

Roxee's Dad
10-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Sorry I am a few days behind. I knew he wasn't the demon dog but he had a reputation to keep up.

Sending huge (((HUGS)))

StarDeb55
10-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Dearest Harley, first of all, I am so sorry that I forgot your anniversary. With Chewy joining you & Barkley 2 months ago, & a number of other things, your loss totally slipped my mind.

Well, it's been 2 years since you left. In some ways it's hard to believe that it has been that long, but in some ways it seems like yesterday. I think about both you & Barkley a lot. I hope that both of you are taking good care of Chewy, & all 3 of you are having lots of fun together. I do miss all of you. I know that Mom is getting plenty of chuckles from all 3 of you.

Your 2nd Mom,
Debbie

gummysmurf
10-31-2012, 05:38 PM
I just read the start of this thread and what a sweet tribute you gave for Harley. It makes me wish I had the chance to meet him! Such a big personality for a small dog.