PDA

View Full Version : Emma is gone, but never forgotten

AllisonJ
07-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Hello all,

I haven't posted in quite a while as Emma was doing very well with her Cushings. She actually was very allergic to the Lysodren which pushed her into Addison's, which was probably more a blessing than a curse - that was March 2009. For those who don't know or remember us, Emma had a very large adrenal tumor that was diagnosed 2 weeks after her son, my other beautiful Labrador, died of cancer. We spent many an hour on this site and met many wonderful people who helped us tremendously and we want to thank each and every one of you!

In December 2009, Emma became diabetic and I almost lost her again, as she became ketoacidosis, with her blood glucose over 600. We saved her once again and regulated as best we could with the insuilin.

At 7:15pm this evening, we went outside and she had a stroke or a heart attack - I don't know which. I held her in my arms, but couldn't do anything but scream her name. She was 12 1/2. She was my baby and there isn't anything that I wouldn't have done for her. I know she knows that. Emma, my sweet girl, you were always loved and will be forever in my heart. Hopefully my tears now will be joy remembered later.

God speed, baby angel..........

BestBuddy
07-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi,

So sorry to hear such sad news about Emma. You did a great job with her and all those problems. She is now free from pain and young and healthy again, hopefully soon that is how you will remember her. Memories are always yours to keep.

Jenny

frijole
07-25-2010, 10:35 PM
So sorry to hear. You had quite the journey and were there for Emma regardless so you can know without doubt that you did all you could. She is now free of pain and disease and running free somewhere. RIP angel Emma. We will honor your memory here. Kim

labblab
07-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Dear Allison,

I am so terribly sorry for your loss of Emma. In the midst of your shock and your pain, thank you so much for coming here to let us know. I do remember Emma well, and her loss is another loss to our entire family here. You have always done your very best to take such loving care of her, and I believe that your love has bravely carried her spirit forward on this day of her passage. On this day when her spirit took flight from her tired body.

The pain for you is so fresh, though. And these first hours seem so impossible to believe or to bear. We will always be here for you. And we will always help you honor and celebrate Emma's sweet spirit. She now has joined our other beloved pups on our special memorial thread: "Remembering All Who Have Left Us (http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588)." If you should ever feel as though you wish to share a photo of your girl, we would love to be able to link that picture to her special memorial line.

Allison, do take good care of yourself. And please come back and continue to share any thoughts or special memories of Emma. It will be our privilege to walk alongside you in the coming days.

In the meantime, many hugs ~ always in loving memory of your dear girl.
Marianne

SasAndYunah
07-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Oh Allison, I am so very sorry for loosing Emma. No words can begin to bring comfort at this moment but please know we're here for you.

God speed sweet Emma...

And hugs to you,

Saskia and Yunah.

bgdavis
07-26-2010, 10:27 AM
So sorry to read Emma is gone. Take comfort in the fact that she left this world on her own and spared you making a hard decision. She was a very well-loved and cared for girl.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy

Squirt's Mom
07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Dear Allison,

I do remember you and Emma quite well and it is with a sad heart that I read your message. You are a good mom who did everything possible to make Emma's life one full of comfort and love and joy. Never doubt this.

The image of you holding Emma and crying her name is one that is all to real to me and I am so very sorry that you had to experience this. It is hard, but try to hold onto the memories of the good times. Losing a baby is never easy but to lose one unexpectedly seems to especially tough.

Know we are here for you any time you need to chat. Your precious Emma will honored here as part of our family. When you are ready it would be an honor to share in your memories of your life together. Until then, know we are with you.

Our deepest sympathies,
Leslie, Squirt, and our angels, Ruby and Crystal

judymaggie
07-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Allison -- I am so sorry to read that Emma has crossed over. Try to get some comfort from the the thought that she and her son are now reunited and both are pain free.

Roxee's Dad
07-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Dear Allison,
I am so very sorry for your loss. Emma knows that she was very loved and I am sure she will be watching over you.

Rest in Peace Sweet Girl.

AllisonJ
07-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Thank you all for such caring and meaningful words!

I took my sweet girl to our vet this morning. I couldn't bear to take her to the emergency vet last night, as she hated that place and I promised her that I would never make her go there again. I always keep my promises. It was so hard to see her that way for the whole night, but she was laying so peacefully on her favorite bed, embroidered with her name. Well, what was left of the embroidery that Tucker wasn't able to chew off. :rolleyes: She didn't mind - she let Tucker do whatever he wanted.

I miss her so much and the house is now so empty. I keep expecting to find her lying in the middle of every walkway and I elongate my steps to step over her without even looking, out of habit, I guess. Every Monday was "chicken run" day, as I would go to Sam's Club to buy fresh chicken breasts for her for the week. Yes, I know, she was a very spoiled girl, who got to each chicken along with her kibble every day.:D Guess I don't have to go today.

Right before she died, she was laying on the step above the landing to the door outside. I crouched down on the landing, took her head in my hands, got nose to nose, kissed her and told her how much I loved her (as I did every day). She wagged her tail and smiled, then we went outside. I'm so thankful I was there. I never would have forgiven myself if I had come home to find her. I spoke with my breeder and found out that 2 of her siblings also passed recently. I guess it was time.

She was and will always be a great dog. She never had a bad day, even when I did, and was always the one I looked forward to coming home to each day. I posted some pictures of all of us. They were taken 3 days before Tucker (the black lab) passed away and 2 weeks before Emma got sick. Please give all your babies a big hug from me, as my arms are now empty and could use some filling.

Thank you all again. You truly are special people.
~Allison

sunimist
07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Allison, I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your beautiful Emma. I pray you can find comfort and peace in remembering the special love and bond you and Emma shared, and will forever share in spirit and in your heart.

R.I.P. Beautiful girl.

((((HUGS))))

Shelba and Suni~~

labblab
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Allison, I've just been to your album, and your photos are beautiful. Thank you so much for giving us this opportunity to see you and Emma and Tucker. All three of you together -- physically joined in the photos, and now forever linked in spirit.

Continuing hugs on this very first day without your girl by your side,
Marianne

zoesmom
07-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Allison - I know how your heart must be breaking and how empty the house must seem without your sweet Emma. So many little reminders everywhere, but in time, your smiles will return and Emma will be smiling down on you, always, for being such a wonderful and loving mom to her. Sue

bkdice
07-26-2010, 11:22 PM
My sincere condolences on your loss. I know how hard it is to face multiple, difficult diseases, and from reading just your post here, I have no doubt that you did all you could to give her the best life possible. I am so sorry for the pain in your heart.

mytil
07-27-2010, 02:54 AM
Dear Allison,

My deepest condolences to you.

Sending you tons of healing (((((hugs)))))
Terry

ladysmom06
07-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Allison,

My deepest sympathy to you on the loss of your beautiful Emma. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs being sent to you.

apollo6
07-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Never got to know her.
But may your angel rest in peace from pain and always watch over you.
Sonja and Apollo

Buffaloe
07-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi Allison,

I am so sorry to hear about Emma. You did everything you could have possibly done for her and she knows she was deeply loved.

Just imagine the beautiful meadows and lakes she and Tucker are now playing in.

Ken