PDA

View Full Version : Missing Our Lucky Boy

fivebichons
07-11-2010, 09:40 PM
It is three long years, almost to the hour, that our Lucky Boy, died in my arms.

His original owner had passed away and he was dropped off at a kill shelter in GA. Small Paws Rescue picked him up and took him to AL. I transported him on Father's Day 2006 to his new foster home. However, that lasted about 2 days. His foster home didn't want to keep him because he was chasing her cats and she couldn't study. I went to pick him up again. In the few short days he stayed at our house, we fell in love with him. Robin didn't even have to say a word. I had "THE LOOK." Now we would have FIVE BICHONS. Lucky became a permanent member of our house. Since his former "butler" was a man, he followed Robin everywhere. Robin was already hooked as well. He didn't have to say a word. They even went out on the back deck together in our 'non' smoking house.

We fostered Lucky until Christmas, 2006. We adopted him for Christmas before someone would take him from petfinder. He had started putting on weight even though we had put him on light food. I took him to another vet for a 2nd opinion. Someone there thought he might have cushings. I knew I was unique when I went back and the doc said "so, you're the one!" We refinanced our house that year. We had one fluffer with cushings, one with cancer, one with bladder stones and one with heart/neuro issues and one that was just fine (thank God)!

Our Lucky Boy was treated for cushings with the help of Hope Animal Clinic and Auburn University. Lucky even had an ultrasound. I remember his liver being enlarged.

I will never forget sending Robin to Walmart to get the Lysodren prescription for LUCKY PETER and they couldn't find it. They called it over the loud speaker. Even the people at the drive through heard it and were laughing. Robin came home with his tail between his legs.

Lucky ended up very sick. I remember bringing him home from the hospital with Vetsulin/syringes. Something new. He didn't seem like he felt that well. He wanted to go outside. I went outside with him. He smelled the grass and let the wind blow through his hair. He seemed so weak. I brought him back inside. He went to his favorite place and snoozed. Then he went upstairs and snoozed in his favorite place upstairs. He went to all of his favorite places as if it were his last day. He knew it before I did. He ended up passing away in my arms of pancreatic cancer that evening.

Even though we only had this special little boy for 11 months, I miss him like I had him 11 years. They leave such a big hole in our hearts. I miss his big dark eyes and his special kisses. I especially miss how he would sleep at the end of our bed at night. And, then when he would think we were asleep, I would feel him slowly creep up until he would be right next to me. He was so sweet. Only he and Sophie were afraid of thunder. I would only have to cover him with something and he would be fine. He so loved the look-out car seat in the car and in the house. No matter where I had them, there he was.

God bless our little Lucky Boy. We still miss you dearly.

Lots of love,

Heidi & Robin
Marco, Sophie, Sasha & Maggie

sunimist
07-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Heidi, I remember well your sweet Lucky. Such a sweatheart. Thanks for sharing some of your memories
Sending you some giant ((((HUGS))) on this sad day.

Love,

Shelba and Suni~~

frijole
07-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I think Lucky was indeed lucky to have landed up in your home. I have always loved your photos. Just went and took another look. The photo of Lucky all cuddled up on that cooling mat is priceless. RIP Lucky - we all miss you. Kim

fivebichons
07-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Thank you. I went to look at the photos since I hadn't looked at them in a long time. I miss my Cheri and Snicky too. God bless all our little angels.

Casey's Mom
07-11-2010, 11:32 PM
He was so Lucky to have you . . . .

Love and many hugs,

mytil
07-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Heidi,

I know your boy is watching over you both right now. I remember first "meeting" you and your gang here, it seems like eons ago and I remember thinking what an incredible mom you are to your pups and they are so fortunate. I know each one of your pups has made your life so much richer too.

Always In Loving Memory of your sweet and yes, lucky boy!!!!!!
Sending you my ((((((hugs))))))
Terry

Squirt's Mom
07-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Dear Heidi,

You are such a blessing to every little fluff that has crossed your path and some have been extremely fortunate to find themselves in your loving arms to the end. What more could they ask for? Lucky, Snicky, and Cheri all wait for the day when you are reunited once again, sharing some of those ham biscuit sandwiches.

Hugs my friend,
Leslie and the girls - always

labblab
07-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Dear Heidi,

Thank you so much for letting us join you in honoring your sweet Lucky Boy. Just like Leslie said, I'm betting he is chowing down on a ham biscuit even as we speak -- and all settled into his comfy cloud :o.

I cannot believe it has already been three years. But we shall always remember him, and all your other precious fluffs as well.

Many hugs to you Heidi ~ it is so good to have you back with us.
Marianne

SavingSimon
07-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Dear Heidi & Robin AND
Marco, Sophie, Sasha & Maggie,
As a rescuer (who has six Jack Russell Terriers) and has lived with more at times ... I can so much relate to your Lucky's story, and it brings back a lot of bittersweet memories for me. Simon is not a rescue, although he is the reason I started doing it - I could totally understand how someone could "accidentally" end up with one of these adorable dogs - not knowing what they were getting themselves into. Fortunately, it works for me. For many it does not. And I put people through more than adoption agencies for kids do I am sure. But you know when they end up with the right people. And in Lucky's case, he definitely ended up with the right people. I rescued a little dog one time that they told me wouldn't make it through the night. She lived on a towel in a cement cage smaller than a crate :eek I remember thinking even if I could give her one more day being a dog - she had been in that awful clinic for almost two years. So she ended up staying with us for over two years (amazing what love can do) and got a lot better (she had multiple problems). And one day the landscapers scared her away, she was blind, and afraid of men, she got out the gate, they chased her - disaster!! I will never know what happened to Jackie. I pray she found another home until her last days. I remember riding my bike through washes and ditches in the 120 degree AZ sun, for days ... anyway, there are lots of other memories your Lucky brings back for me, and I don't know why, but life seems to always deal the rescue dogs such a bad hand sometimes - the BEST thing that can happen is that they find a wonderful and loving home like yours. Lucky got to be a dog. Lucky got to be loved. And Lucky was very blessed indeed to have had you, as are all your dogs. May the memory of him comfort you, and the faith that you will see him again one day bring you peace.
Love,
Dena, Simon & pack.

bkdice
07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Thank you for sharing your Lucky's story. I was not familiar with it before. It sounds like he was a very special boy and you gave him the kind of love and care that he deserved his last 11 months on earth. It is amazing how much some creatures can touch your lives in such a short time. May he always watch over you and your pack.

Bettina

Roxee's Dad
07-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Dear Heidi,
I am sorry I never had the honor to know Lucky but was glad you shared his story. My heart hurts for you, wishing you peace and comfort in the happy moments and memories.

Rest in Peace Sweet Boy.

addy
07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Thank you for sharing Lucky's story.
The pain is so bad because the joy is so great. They live on in our hearts and we always remember, we could never forget, the memories sometimes bittersweet.

Addy

apollo6
07-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Sending warm thoughts and love, in remembrance of you Lucky, what a sweetheart.

Dollydog
07-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Hello,
I remember Lucky and his story....thanks for posting this as we can't go back and read the story when it was first posted. I remember how special Robin was to him and he was to Robin.
Thanks again Heidi for this tribute,
Jo-Ann

Bichonluver3
07-13-2010, 09:06 PM
God bless your little angel, Lucky (and your other 2 as well). Although
I was not privileged to know him, as a bichon mom, I can picture him doing the bichon buzz through the green fields of heaven. He was so fortunate to have had you to love and to love him back. What else is there?
Our thought are with you.
Carrol & the 3 Muskateers

littleone1
07-13-2010, 09:22 PM
My thoughts are with you Heidi. Thank you for sharing this, as I was not on the forum then.

fivebichons
07-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Thank you so much for your sweet stories and comments. You made me cry and laugh.

I still love the book "Dog Heaven." It brought me so much comfort when my first bichon Friskie passed and there really wasn't much out there yet. It let me create a dream land for them. To know that they were safe and free of harm. And they were eating their ham sandwich biscuits!

I couldn't help but smile when I pulled up to a McDonald's a few weeks back and they had a sign that said "Country Ham Biscuits." I almost cried. I went home with Ham sandwich biscuits. Robin thought I was nuts. They were ALL MINE. The bichon motto. WHAT'S YOUR'S IS MINE, WHAT'S MINE IS MINE. :o) I shared one with you my precious Lucky Boy.

BestBuddy
07-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Heidi,

I remember so well the time Robin had to collect the prescriptions and whenever I had to get any filled out I would think of that. We never got called anything near as funny as Lucky Peter but some of them still made me smile.

Buddy the dog
Dog Buddy

As if he would be the one to collect. :D I still recall some of the people behind the counter watching who was coming to collect such strange things for a dog.

These memories of our will stay with us and if we can look back at them and smile through our tears then it is a good thing.

Jenny