View Full Version : Phoebe passed away..Once upon a time

05-30-2010, 03:51 AM
RIP Phoebe. Here is a little bit of her story.

A little 10yo female Poodle was advertised in the local paper to give away because her elderly owners could not take her with them when they moved.

I waited a few days before I planted the seed in hubby’s mind that we could find room for her as we had just lost my elderly Australian Silky named Buster which is another story altogether.

It obviously worked because we rang and went to have a look already knowing she would be coming home with us. We were told she was an outside dog not all that fond of strangers and was named Phoebe. I wasn’t sure about the name but as usually happens it grew on us and I couldn’t think of a better label to give her. We went outside and I knelt down so as not to be too intimidating and she just climbed into my lap and snuggled. I was soon to learn that it was just one of her ploys to get close enough to make you do what she wanted.

It was a week or so before she first attacked me and it really scared me. She was sweetly sleeping in my lap and I made a sudden move to get up and she turned into a vicious growling and biting bundle of fluff. It took a little while before I was able to trust her close to my face. I’m not sure about much of her early life other than she was with a family for several years and then given up because she didn’t fit in with the young family. She spent the next 8 years with the older couple and they had no idea she wasn’t spayed. They soon knew when she had 2 puppies that were given away.

We took her to the vet and had her vaccinated, spayed, dental work and tear ducts flushed. She didn’t handle the anesthesia well and spend a week in her little bed by the fire only getting out to eat and do her business. Even when she was out of the bed it was another week or two before we realised her little tail was not normally in the down position. After that her tail was like a little soldier…straight up and always at attention.

She was now an inside dog and at 10yo had to learn about toilet training and toys. She was a smart little thing and soon learnt to do her business outside but was never very good with toys, they were all hers or so she thought and would defend them to the death from the other dogs and even tried to growl us into submission if we took them off her. She was a bit obsessive and would lie on top of her toys to stop us taking them. It wasn’t like she was protecting them because she would eventually eat off noses and ears and pull out any stuffing until we had to dispose of the mess and she would start with another toy. Luckily Buddy wasn’t really much into toys and Nelson was such a gentleman that he let her have what she wanted. I think the little 4kg spitfire had 25kg Nelson scared. For a long time Buddy and Phoebe had a duel alpha role until Buddy just let her have the run of things. Sometimes Bud would assert himself but mostly Phoebe was in control.

I was soon able to trust Phoebe near my face and we had many good loving years. I still had to watch her with strangers because she would attack workmens legs if she felt they were challenging her. It made me laugh that this little white 4kg fluff ball had dogs of all sizes and visitors in no doubt who was in charge the minute they walked into my house. I had to be careful with her around children although she never bit anyone there was always the possibility. I remember having my young niece staying and she had a lovely stuffed bear (about the size of Phoebe) and several times Phoebe would have the child bailed up in a corner giving her the stare down trying to get that bear. I am not sure Phoebe would have carried through but she was a determined little wench and she did really want that bear.

Sometimes my mother would come and stay with her little dog and Phoebe would make sure they knew that the minute they got in that she was number one and she would take all Molly’s toys away from her. Mum would sometimes hide one of Molly’s toys for bedtime in the bottom of her suitcase but if the bedroom door were left open Phoebe would smell it out and have everything tipped out of the case with the toy later found amongst her own toys.

I remember coming home from work one day to find Phoebe vomiting what looked like dried blood, mounds of it. I grabbed her quickly and as I did I smelt something really sweet and realised she had gotten onto a chair, then on a table and eaten nearly a whole box of orange chocolates. She had very neatly taken them out of the box and out of the paper wrapping before eating them. I made an emergency call to the vet who said it was actually good she had vomited so much back up and just to watch her. She was fine.

Anyway after a year or so of good health she developed pancreatitis and had to be left over night at the vets. She was fine the next morning and I went to pick her up and was told by the laughing reception staff of the events of the night before. The young lady vet on call had checked her at 9pm and all was well, at 1am she got an emergency call from the security to say an intruder was in the vet building and they and the police were on the way so would she meet them there to see what was missing or damaged. She arrived to flashing lights and alarms sounding and the security guards laughing so much that it took a while to find out that they had been met at the door by a tiny white fluff ball who wanted to play. She had managed to escape her cage, pushed through many swinging doors to the reception area and helped herself to some treats and toys from the display wall.

Phoebe was obviously feeling much better and I think they were glad to see her go home the next day. She was allowed to keep one of the toys she had "stolen" and we always got a smile when she had to go in for her routine vet visits. It was a big joke that she needed to be searched on the way out to see what she had helped herself to.

All in all Phoebe had 6 years of pretty good health before age started to catch up. Her hearing went first and then sight. She suffered the last few years with dental issues, heart murmur and kidney problems. It’s had to pinpoint but sometimes during that time she started to have cognitive problems too. The changes were subtle but finally won out in the end and Phoebe was assisted to her final peace Saturday 29 May 2010 at 18 years of age. I will probably continue to remember more of Phoebe’s funny little ways as I get used to not having her around.

Angel or devil I was never really sure but she sure worked her magic and I really miss her. I didn’t mean to write a book it’s just that there was so much to say and I still feel like I have only scratched the surface.


05-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Dear Jenny,

Oh honey I am so very sorry to read of Phoebe's passing. 18 years old...wow, you did a wonderful and incredible job of helping her to live to such an age. Phoebe was well loved and adored each and every minute of her life with you and your family, right up until the end when you helped her to cross to the bridge.

Thank you for telling us some of her history with you, it was beautiful. She definitely was a special character.

Wishing you peace and sending you and yours love during this very difficult time,
With deepest sympathy,
Jane, Franklin and Bailey xxx
Body Science (http://bodyscience.ws/)

05-30-2010, 08:56 AM
((((((hugs)))))) Jen.


05-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi again,
Thanks for sharing those stories of Phoebe....angel or devil....know that one oh so well! ;) And I also know that feeling of sharing lots and still only scratching the surface of all there is to tell!
Hopefully Lady has learned some doggy manners by now so she'll be able to help Phoebe with adjusting to her new life. :)
Hope you take good care of yourselves right now....
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel & Victoria :)

Roxee's Dad
05-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Dear Jen,
Thank you so much for sharing that wonderful story of Phoebe and how she became a part of your family. What a smart little girl.

Sharing in your tears as my heart is hurting for you.

Rest in Peace sweet girl.

John II
05-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Dear Jenny,

Thankyou for taking the time to tell us Phoebe's story. I'm sure you and your family made Phoebe's final years the best of her life.

I have to admit that I'm envious of her ripe old age. :o

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time.

05-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Loved it. Especially the story about her breaking out at the vet clinic and the cops coming. That is classic!! Way to go Phoebe. :)

Carol G
05-30-2010, 11:12 AM

I am so sorry -- my thoughts are with you.

Thank you sharing her story -- I agree the vet story is priceless.


05-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Jen, you missed your calling as a writer. We all knew Phoebe through you but I think we know her a whole lot better now. I loved reading her story and discovering the many faces she had. I read it through tears of laughter and sadness. It was dejaveau and I'm thoroughly convinced that Phoebe is either a distant relative to my first poodle baby, Muffy, or she is Muffy reincarnate.

My thoughts are with you and hubby and Godspeed Phoebe girl.

05-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Dear Jenny -

Phoebe . . . Bless her little heart and soul. No words come, just tears. But your words, Jenny - of Pheobe's life and antics - brought a smile. I'm sure Buddy was waiting for her and they have undoubtedly already picked up where they left off when Buddy crossed the bridge. ((((Hugs))))) - Sue

05-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Dear Jenny,
Bless your heart. You did such an incredible job. Phoebe was so lucky to have you. I only can hope that someone may care for me as much in my old age and make my passing as loving as you did for her.
Our prayers and thoughts are with you. Please keep in touch.
Carrol & Chloe