PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Everyone - 5 yr old Old English Sheepdog (ketoconazole)

Mollysmom
04-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum and also the mom of a newly diagnosed cushings dog. My Old English Sheepdog is 5 years old and her test results (urine and blood tests) came back Friday - positive for cushings. I have been readin and trying to understand as much as I can about this disease. The vet started her on Ketronconazole, 200 mg, 4 tablets a day. He wants to see how she responds to this medication. She is still panting, drinking and urinating large quantities, but what bothers me the most is her fatigue. Isn't cushing's usually diagnosed in older dogs?
Any advice and/or insight anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know of any less expensive treatments that Ketronconazole?
Thanks!
Judy

katiesmom
04-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Hi Judy and welcome to this site!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am new to this forum and also the mom of a newly diagnosed cushings dog. My Old English Sheepdog is 5 years old and her test results (urine and blood tests) came back Friday - positive for cushings. I have been readin and trying to understand as much as I can about this disease. The vet started her on Ketronconazole, 200 mg, 4 tablets a day. He wants to see how she responds to this medication. She is still panting, drinking and urinating large quantities, but what bothers me the most is her fatigue. Isn't cushing's usually diagnosed in older dogs?
Any advice and/or insight anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know of any less expensive treatments that Ketronconazole?

Although cushings is common in older dogs, younger dogs can have the disease too. I wanted to put my dog on Ketronconazole, but my vet admitted that she didn't have much experience with it, so she put my dog on Lysodren instead. I'm on the second day, my dog still pants, but not drinking as much water as she was.
You sure came to the right place for support and answers for helping to understand this aweful disease. I couldn't have made it without these fine people. I just wanted to welcome you, I'm new to this cushings disease and still learning about it on a daily basis. The more I learn the better I feel. So ask away.
Cathy&Katie

Harley PoMMom
04-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Judy,

Welcome to you and your furbaby from me and my boy Harley. I am so sorry for the circumstances that brought you here but very glad that you found this forum.

I was wondering if you could give us some more information about your baby. What tests were done to confirm her cushings? The tests that were done, would you mind posting the results here. What symptoms led you or your vet to test for cushings in the first place? Does your furbaby suffer from any other non-adrenal illnesses...like diabetes or hypothyroidism, were these ruled out?

Usually when a pup gets a confirmed diagnosis of cushings the two life-saving drugs of choice are Lysodren(Mitotane) or Trilostane(Vetoryl). Can you tell us why your vet wanted to try Ketoconazole first instead?

Cushings can be diagnosed in any age in a dog. Some dogs go years without being properly diagnosed. The key is for a dog to be properly diagnosed.

We are here for you, Judy, so ask all the questions you want and we will try to answer them as best we can, ok.

Links to Cushings Websites (especially helpful for new members!)
http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180

Love and hugs,
Lori

jrepac
04-26-2010, 10:08 AM
the costs of the drugs can vary in price by pharmacy...and vary widely...you should shop around; Walmart has good prices; online, Diamondback Drug does compounding (I don't believe they do Keto, however)....1-800-Pet Meds is pretty competitive too....I found the WORST prices at Walgreen's...off the charts high...

and, if you are "adventurous" you can always order from Canada or Overseas (aka India)...but that is something each individual has to decide if he/she is comfortable with

Jeff

forscooter
04-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi and welcome,

When my Scooter was diagnosed, he was about 6...not much older than your pup. Much to my surprise at the time, that age was considered "older" for the breed so I'm not sure if the same would hold true here for your's. Also, Scooter was at first treated with Lysodren but had so many issues (not Lysodren related), we switched him to the keto down the road. He did well on it, you just have to closely monitor the liver enzymes. Most dogs now are treated with Lysodren or Trilostane. But there are a few cases where keto is used. I can't think who else here was using it, one other member at least and I cannot think of her name right now, but anyway, you can have success with it.

One of the reasons that keto fell out of favor is bc of the impact the med can have on the liver and Cushpups are already at risk for liver issues....so I would just advise making sure the liver enzymes are watched closely.

As far as cost, I paid less for the keto than I did for the Lysodren so I don't believe there is anything less expensive.

Hope this helps!
Beth