PDA

View Full Version : 9 y/o Siberian Husky - New member needs diagnostic help

Husky9
04-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Hi Melissa,

My name is Marisa, I found this site through doing searches for cushings also. It has been a tough few months with my dog. He is a Siberian Husky who was just 9 beginning of April. It is my first pet, who I love very very much.

We came about cushings because we went to the vet for senior bloodwork, and I was told that his liver enzymes were elevated. So I was a wreck then, thank God he has been very healthy for as long as I had him. I got him when he was 6 weeks old.

So, the vet suggested that I put him on milk thistle for a month and then retest him. So once his month was done I called to schedule an appoitment well then they changed their story and said no, he has to be on it for a month but when we retest him he still has to be on it. So one month led to two. I hoestly think it made him worse. He can't control his urine, he goes like when he gets up by accident. Also he has been so thirsty and so hungry. So finally we did that other test to check it and with his symptoms they said it seemed like cushings. So I
Have been so upset. Yesterday he went in and I got the results and now they say he's borderline. I mean he has changed alot. He's tired, he loves walks and I have been taking him and he is just so tired. His back legs are bothering him since Monday and it breaks my heart to see him struggling. I asked the vet and they said he's not in pain because I don't want to keep him suffering. Yesterday when she did an xray, she said that she didn't see any tumors or masses (I felt a little better) but not completely. Because I know somethings wrong. So now they want to retest him in a few months, but I'm afraid he's going to get worse. I want the best care for him. Can someone please help me with suggestions.

Thank you,
Marisa

labblab
04-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Marisa!

Welcome to you and your dog. I noticed that you had posted this reply on another member's thread, and I took the liberty of creating a brand new thread for you and your pup. This way, people will be able to reply to you directly. :)

I am very glad you've found us, and I'm certain that other members will soon be stopping by to meet you, and to offer their suggestions and support.

With my best wishes,
Marianne

frijole
04-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi Marisa! First of all.. you have found a wonderful place for info on cushings and we have lots of firsthand experience. My dog Haley was diagnosed 4 yrs ago and she is now over 16!!! My other dog Annie was just diagnosed and she is about to begin treatment.

So first off.. with proper diagnosing and treatment your dog can lead a normal happy life. What you need to do is exactly what you are doing and that is get up to speed on treating this disease and making sure the diagnosis is correct. There are other illnesses (diabetes, hypothyroidism for example) that have the same symptoms.

The milk thistle helps the liver enzymes but the reason you are seeing the symptoms you are is because of the cushings, not the milk thistle.

I am going to link you to some parts of this website that will give you an overview of the disease. Again, don't let it scare you as it can be alot at first. Read a bit, ask us questions, etc. That is why we are here.

Tell us more about the tests your vet has done. It sounds like you did a blood panel since you know the liver enzymes were high. Do you havce a copy? If not, get a copy and let us know any areas where your dog was above normal. Give us the reading as well as what the readings for normal are from that lab.

What other tests has your vet done? Again, get a copy so we know what your vet is calling borderline. It sounds from what you have described so far that your vet isn't real familiar with the disease. I could be wrong. You are your dog's voice and that is why you need to get up to speed, enough to ask questions of the vet.

You can do it because I did!! The urination is because your dogs kidneys are working overtime. With the urination .. your dog gets thirsty. And the cycle begins. Also hind leg weakness and shaking is normal. It goes away with time and treatment.

There are treatment options but we won't go there til we know for sure your dog has cushings. So for now, let us know more about the tests. And read here for some starter info!!

Kim

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180

Rebelsmom
04-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Marisa, so glad you found us here. I'm real new to all this to and have asked a ton of questions. I agree with Kim above, what tests has your vet run to determine cushings? Has the vet recommended any tretments yet? I would also find out his/her knowledge with cushings. I know from experience that you want someone who has dealt with cushings before. Keep us updated on your pup.

Melissa