PDA

View Full Version : Beagle with cushings

Ellepup
03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Hello all,

Question--do your pets have high blood pressure and a heart murmur? Is it related to the cushing's, and have they gained weight. My 9 year old beagle was recently diagnosed with cushings and right now we are attempting to stabilize her bp. found out she has it when I took her to get her teeth cleaned---thank goodness for pre-anesthesia blood tests.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Carol--Elle's mom:)

Harley PoMMom
03-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Carol,

Welcome to you and Elle from me and my boy Harley! Altho my boy doesn't have a heart murmur, he does have high blood pressure which is controlled by amlodipine. He also has PDH cushings + elevations in all his intermediate/sex hormones. Cortisol plays an important role in maintaining blood pressure, but too much can lead to excessive blood pressure. Also elevated estradiol, which is one of the intermediate/sex hormones can also raise blood pressure in a pup.

I was wondering if you could tell us more about Elle, you see, the more we know about Elle the better our feedback will be. Some questions I have are: What tests did Elle have to confirm her cushings? Does Elle have any other health problems? Was a CBC and or Chemistry blood panel done and if so, could you post anything on there that it marked abnormal with the reference ranges and units of measurements. Is Elle taking any herbs or supplements? What symptoms led you or your vet to test Elle for cushings in the first place?

I am so glad you found this forum and we will help you in any way we can. So ask all the questions you want and we will try to answer them as best we can.

Love and hugs,
Lori

frijole
03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi Carol! That's how we discovered my dog's cushings. That was almost 4 yrs ago. Cushings can affect the heart and bp. So can hypothyroidism which mimics cushings. Some dogs have both - like mine.

Tell us all about Elle. The symptoms, the tests, all meds, as this helps us help you.

Glad you found us!! Kim