PDA

View Full Version : Allo's leg...

forscooter
03-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Hi....Help!!! Allo was "up" this morning hopping on three legs. He can barely put any weight, but usually none, on his left front leg. I checked the paw, nails and he lets me bend it all over. I called the ER vet and they said not to bring him in bc he probably sprained it and it is better to rest it. He has been in the same spot since he was "up" this morning...I brought him his food and he did eat. They said if it isn't better in the morning, to call my vet and take him in.

My question is how bad can this be? I have a job interview mid-morning and there would be no way for me to even call my vet until after lunch. I hate to cancel the interview but I also can't see leaving him like this for another half a day....

If a cat is like this, is this usually bad news? Should I cancel my appt? Is it important I get him there asap? AAAACCCCKKKK!!!!

Meanwhile, Cayden doesn't understand NO running, NO jumping...and I need my own little hospital right now!

Thanks for any input, advice!!! I am cat-stupid!!!
Love ya....Beth

Harley PoMMom
03-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi Beth,

Oh, poor Allo :( but if he allowed you to touch his paw, bend it all around, then I believe a "wait and see" approach is fine. No swelling or heat coming from that area?

You poor dear...never a dull moment, huh?

Love and hugs,
Lori

forscooter
03-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi Lori,

No, no heat or swelling...my son just commented that he hasn't moved from the same spot all day. Allo usually will get up and move around. I am going to see if he will let me lay with him and see how he does. The ER vet felt he probably sprained it on one of his jumps. I feel so guilty bc it didn't occur to me last night that he wasn't up....so now I don't know how long he has been like this. :( I was so focused on Cayden not overdoing it...which is a full-time thing most of the day...

No, I can't seem to get a break here!!! I can't stand it anymore!

Thanks for getting back to me!! Love ya, Beth

gpgscott
03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi Beth,

We have had cats for a long time.

I don't remember how old Allo is.

Does he have a heart murmur?

Scott

forscooter
03-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi Scott,

Allo is about 4 years old. No murmur but he has the asthma.

He is keeping his paw tucked underneath him for the most part. He will let you touch the paw but around the knee area and to the foot he pulls back and isn't happy.

I had to carry him into the litterbox and then lift him out. He couldn't even scratch the litter. He meowed and stared at me so I have been carrying him. Sleeping a lot. He did hop out for dinner even though I had it by his window seat.

His fur is all puffy and he just looks sick. Very quiet.

I canceled my appt. for tomorrow...I just can't leave him like this.:(

When he sits, which is rare, he does put the foot flat...but not for long. As soon as he gets up, the leg is up. He scratched at a cardboard scratching thing but only with his tip toes and it was brief.

Thanks for any advice and help!!
Love and hugs, Beth

gpgscott
03-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Beth,

Cats are diagnostic nightmares.

He is young so it is probably not a heart issue but you should be aware that heart issues will cause changes in gait.

I think he should be seen by someone. It could be something as simple as a respiratory infection which is easily treated early on.

Scott

forscooter
03-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Thank you, Scott,

I had no idea! He does have the asthma but was doing so well. I am going to call first thing tomorrow morning and hope they will bring him right in...I hate seeing him like this...he is sooooo quiet all day but I also know he isn't feeling right.

This always happens on weekends.

Thanks so much!
Beth

mytil
03-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey Bethy,

I think I would have him checked out. Maybe it is his knee, does it look odd shaped? An ordinary muscle pull in my opinion would not cause him to stay in one spot and not go use his litter box.

Keep us updated for sure.
Terry

PS - I am sorry if this causes you to reschedule the job interview - maybe drop him off and pick him up later.

forscooter
03-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi Terry,

I keep trying to compare one leg to the other but he won't let me handle it enough to get a good enough look. And since I don't know what's wrong I am worried about being too hard on it and making it worse. For the look I got, it seemed OK but it's hard to tell bc when he is up, the leg is bent up and when he is laying down, he has it folded. I tried to look again before and it is definitely when I touch that joint and under it that he pulls back and meows at me. Like it's tender. So I left it alone.

And no, Allo usually will sleep a lot but not stay in the same spot...and not be able to manage the litter...he is very fussy. He only used the box once all day since last night which is also not his usual. I'm going to bring him back in there in about half an hour just to see.

I'll definitely let you all know how he is tomorrow and what the vet says...I am praying for an overnight miracle...

Love ya, Beth

PS. Thank you....but it's OK. He comes first. Unfortunately the job is over an hour away and timing wise, I can't manage that bc I have to leave before the vet is open. I called and canceled and said my son (well, he is) is sick. If they don't "get" that, I don't want to work there anyway!

In other news, Baby Pallie has been peeing rivers....so I may take a sample in for her too....

I should be allowed illegal drugs!:o

forscooter
03-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Hi,

Just got to work and back from the vet. Allo seemed a little better this morning but still not well. He had not used his litterbox all night and was looking for me to take him. So, off to the vet we went.

Leg x-ray looked fine so he said it appears to be a sprain. It is swollen today and a little twisted looking. He had a pain injection and sent home with medication for pain. And of course free rides courtesy of mom.

While there, the vet noticed his belly was very tender. Nothing showed on the belly x-ray so we are waiting for blood and urine. :( Allo was not a happy boy getting the urine withdrawn.

So, I wait...and pray to the heavens above that it is nothing but a sore belly!!!!

Thank you all sooo much!!
Love and hugs! Beth

labblab
03-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Oh Bethy!!!! :( :( :(

All fingers and paws crossed that Allo starts feeling and acting better and that THERE IS NOTHING SERIOUS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for this update, and please check back with us later on, OK?

Marianne

judymaggie
03-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Beth -- keeping fingers crossed that Allo's blood/urine work-up are problem-free! From listening to some of my friends talk about their vet visits with their cats, I expect that the visit this morning was not an easy one. Glad that all the x-rays were negative -- wondering if maybe Allo's belly is tender from not urinating as often as usual? I only have long-distance knowledge of cats as I am terribly allergic to them.
Hang in there!

SasAndYunah
03-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Oh dear,

I missed all this, so sorry (was busy with some medical issues of my own) I so hope that they won't find anything seriously wrong with Allo's blood and urine results... We'll be thinking of you!

Sas and Yunah :)

littleone1
03-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi Beth,

I'm so sorry that I missed this. How is Allo doing? I hope it is just a minor issue that can be resolved very quickly.

Thank you for the information my dear friend. I'll be in touch later.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and all of your furbabies.

Love and special hugs,

Terri and Corky

Harley PoMMom
03-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi Beth,

All finger, paws and assorted body parts crossed here also for Allo. Hoping and praying that Allo starts to feel better real soon and that his tests are normal.

Keeping you, Allo, Cayden and Pallie in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and (((hugs)))
Lori

BestBuddy
03-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi B,

Cats are a bit of a mystery to me but could Allo have had a fall (or maybe rough play) and fallen and hurt his foot and his ribs/tummy?

Hoping that is all it is.

Jenny

mytil
03-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Waiting to hear Bethy.

I surely hope there is nothing serious and whatever it is can be taken care of quickly. Positive vibes being sent.

T.

forscooter
03-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Thank you all...I am anxious to hear too about the blood and urine...and i should hear this morning I hope! I will let you know for sure.

Allo's leg seems better today...I think that pain injection worked wonders. He still needed to be taken to his box last night but it back using it this morning. Still has a slight limp.

I am assuming it was the stress of the injury but he was quite wheezy last night with the asthma. I not only did the inhaler but gave extra pred. It seemed to do the trick for now.

I am suspicious with the belly too and the dogs. Cayden will chase Allo sometimes but I have not witnessed him ever touching him other than to sniff. If I call him back, which I always do when I see them, he turns right around and stands by my side. Baby Pallie is a whole other story on the other hand. I have done a lot of training with her but she isn't "there" yet. And sometimes it is when my back is turned. She does tend to think, especially now, she can play with Allo like he is a dog except she is a lot bigger now. So she will step on him if I let her and lay on top of him. I am going to have horrible guilt if she hurt him.

Sometimes even when I intervene Allo will lay down bc I think he wants to play...no claws...and he swats. The problem is BP doesn't know what "too rough" is quite yet. So it is a possibility she hurt him. And then I will be sick to my stomach!

Allo, although the leg seems better, is still much quieter than usual. He is eating but otherwise doesn't move much. I did curl up with him a little bit last night and he purred but otherwise, he is just staying in the same spot for hours and hours.

I hope this is just something like a mild bug and nothing more! I will let you know when I know....I have everything crossed!!!

Love and hugs, Beth

littleone1
03-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi Beth,

I'm sending positive thoughts that Allo will be fine. They all somehow make us worry about them.

Take care my dear friend. I'll be in touch.

forscooter
03-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks, Terri!

The labs are in and the only thing off is an elevated WBC. So, Allo is going on an antibiotic and I have to call the vet in a week. He also is to take the Bupronex for his belly pain. I guess we will see in a week how he is doing. I am so paranoid from Cushing's, that I have already looked up things like pancreatitis in cats....I have PCS...Post-Cushings-Syndrome!!!

Of course, from what I read, belly pain can be very difficult to diagnose in cats....so I hope this works and he just has a belly infection of some sort! Then I read Bupronex is used in heroin withdrawal?? What is that kitty-cat doing when I am at work!

Poor Allo....he looks so yucky feeling....:(

Love and hugs, Beth

corgipallie
03-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Just now seeing this thread. Glad his blood is ok and I hope the leg and his tummy continue to get better.
I have Post-Cushings Syndrome too!!!

BestBuddy
03-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi B,

Just wanted to say that it is illegal to blame yourself (for anything) and I'll confess why.

Phoebe's blood tests taken before she had full witness protection from Luke and Joey that had a notation on it with the query
Mild to moderate acute muscle pathology - Any trauma, car accident?

Guess how I felt because I knew there were a few times Phoebe had gotten in the way of the speedway track up the passage and had been knocked down like a pin in a bowling alley.

Well I stopped feeling sorry for myself and now I just make sure that all contact is supervised for Phoebe's sake. No guilt remember.

Jenny

forscooter
03-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks, Steph....and isn't it awful??? Every little thing I seem to relate back to Cushing's...it's like my brain is on auto-Cushing's or something!

And thank you Jenny! LOL! I like your laws!!!!! OK, no guilt....or at least I will try!!

His asthma seems to be worse the past two nights too...I am thinking bc of the stress of the leg and being sick...so I increased the pred temporarily.

He was up asking to go out last night, the answer was as always, nooooo...but at least he was asking!

Oh and yesterday he got himself stuck in BP's pen! He got in but couldn't get out. Luckily, the were curled up together. Maybe he missed his sister to himself?

Love and hugs! Beth

BestBuddy
03-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi B,

How is Allo? Hoping he is getting better on his own.

Jen

forscooter
03-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi Jenny,

It was back and forth for a while. His leg seemed better after two days and then boom, right back to hobbling on three legs. So, backto carrying him around and babying him and he is back on it. But I am watching and lifting him whenever I can so he doesn't aggravate it. I thought maybe if I can help him for 2 weeks it would maybe heal better and we can stop the back and forth. I hope!

The antibiotic gave him terrible diarrhea, either that or the reason his belly was so tender...between his leg and not being able to hold it long, it was quite the mess as he "overshot" the box a few times...which left me dry heaving in the bathtub!!!! TMI??? LOL....Sorry!

So, we stopped the antibiotic hoping the WBC was elevated from a stomach virus. That calmed down within a day of stopping it.

His asthma though went into full bloom so he is back on pred twice/day temporarily and the inhaler has never stopped....so...I don't know if it is the change of seasons or the infection and leg stress or both. He is just starting to come back around last night like his usual self. Back to being quiet this morning but I think it is just going to take some time.

Cayden goes Tuesday to have his stitches out and I'll get an update from the vet on Allo too. I hope it is all starting to work itself out.

Thank you so much for checking in on us!!!:)

Love and hugs, Beth

SasAndYunah
04-18-2010, 03:38 AM
Hi Beth,

just wondering how things are with you and your furbabies :)

Hugs,

Sas and Yunah :)

Harley PoMMom
04-18-2010, 03:45 AM
Yea...what's up?? :p:D

Love and hugs,
Lori

forscooter
04-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Thank for checking on us!

Things here are hectic as usual but good. The two pups just adore each other, Cayden is settling in a bit more and he really is a gentle soul. Pallie on the other hand is the devil in angel's clothing! LOL

Cayden and Pallie both went to the vet for check-ups. Pallie is growing like a weed, but she is definitely a car-sick girl. The vet is only 15 minutes from my house and within 5, I had a backseat full of orange-tinged (milk bones) vomit!!! She can't tolerate the car at all, which disappoints me bc Cayden loves it so much. So, we came home with Cerenia (not sure if I spelled that right) for any car trips. We have a doogie b/day party in a few weeks about 45 minutes away so will use it then. Her labwork was "perfect" and I can't even put into words how much you appreciate the words "Perfect Labwork" but you all know! It's been so many years since I have heard that I forgot what it was like to go to the vet and not have to fix something after the labs came in!

Cayden healed from his neutering quite well after a tiny infection. Watching him for the dreaded allergies with that high eso count. He has gained close to 5 pounds and is looking much better! He is very protective of Baby Pallie but in a good kind of way. :)

Allo, well, I almost lost Allo. He has backyard privileges bc he was staying in the yard and being so good. The other night he got lost, I was besides myself, had the neighbors out with flashlights, finally I jiggled his treat jar and heard his distinctive "MEEOOOOW". I had to climb over my 6 foot stockade fence bc my neighbor was not home, and I found him trapped under the wood covering her crawlspace. Just this little white paw sticking up!!!! I pulled a few muscles and twisted joints I didn't even know I have, but he got home safely. All I could think of was he would be dead if I hadn't found him. So, bc of this little escapade, he is back housebound and he is not very happy about that but oh well....I am trying to figure out whether to crate him outside or do a harness but he so much hates a leash!

I am doing OK. I am starting to have the same dream every night and haven't slept well in about two weeks. I see Bailey and then I see a needle and I wake up gasping and anxious. One time, there was no needle but my mom standing behind him, him looking so young and her telling me, "He is right here....we have him..." I am trying to keep my spirits up but I have to say, I miss him as much as I did when I lost him. I miss both the Bad Boys and had a really hard time the other night. I miss my mom and dad too. It's like everything that anchored me is now gone.

I love these new furballs, I do...but my heart still longs for my boys...and with all these new things happening in my life, I long to call my mom and dad.

Just bc I don't have enough stress, I am in a precarious position with work. We lost a big chunk of funding and may lose more. So I am looking for another job bc I can't risk staying where I am. I have an interview tomorrow night and one on Friday morning...both jobs are about an hour from home and this will be something new too. (If I get any...) and I am feeling the separation from the kids....I work now 15 minutes away and had the luxury of being able to run home at lunch or whenever I need to. So, I am anxious about all this now too. So, prayers would be appreciated tomorrow and Friday!!!

I was about to take the kids for a nap....I am full of dirt and pollen from chopping down a tree...but I did want to come and stop in. Thank you so much for checking in on us!!!!!! I will try to come back later and catch up with everyone!

Lots of love and hugs!!!! Beth

SasAndYunah
04-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Beth,

so glad to hear that Cayden and Baby Pallie are doing so very well :) And what a horrible "adventure" with Allo, phew, glad that had a happy ending. Could have ended so differently... Perhaps, if you, or someone you know is handy with wood and a hammer, you can built a outdoor space for Allo. That way he can enjoy the outdoors but not get into trouble :) I used to have a really outdoors space when I had still 13 cats (all strays, rescue and/or foster cats) :eek: They had a convined space, 20 meters long, 3 meters wide and 2 meters high. There were treetrunks inthere, tiles (for easy cleaning), some grass to roll in and eat from, toys, beds...they loved it. And they could enter that outdoor space freely from the house through a catdoor. In my mind, the perfect solution if you have cats...they still can enjoy the outdoors but can't get into trouble :)

What I've experienced after loosing forst Boncuk and after him, Sogno, was taht when I got Yunah, who was as healthy as can be, I very much "missed" the "caring", the constant keeping an eye on, the watching the clock if it was time for med already, ....all the things you do "extra" for sick animals. I found it was "boring" and since I didn't have to be "busy" with Yunah all the time (as I had been with my 2 previous sick pups) I didn't feel so "connected"... All the extra care and attention that sick animals need, kind of creates a different bond. And I had to get used to that a LOT! Yunah was independant, not "in need" of me, like the others were... At least, not in the same manner. And it took me a long time to realise it. My life had been evolving around my dogs needs...and now all that was gone. Do you think that part of how you feel, could be related to something simular?

And as far as wanting to call your parents... I am so blessed to still have both of mine and in perfect health even...at 80 years of age. So I can't imagine loosing them. But I call them so often...just to tell them about something funny that happened or about something that worries me, something on my mind or even to ask how my mom cooks a certain dish. All everyday normal life things...so not being able to do that, would be such a great loss and incredably hard to have to do without.

All I can do is give you huge cyberhugs from here...{{{{{BETH}}}}}

Wishing you all the best and with love,

Saskia and Yunah :)

Harley PoMMom
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
So very happy to read that Cayden and Pallie are the best of friends...awww! When Harley was a pup he used to get car sick too, I did find out that as long as I would not put him in the back seat he wouldn't get sick. :confused:

So Mr Allo is up to his ole tricks again, huh! I know my Alex lives up to his name...Alex the bad cat! :)

Many prayers being said and sent your way, my dear friend...for your job and for you to find some peace. As you know I lost my parents when I was young, so I do realize how you feel. There are many times when I wish I could just hear their voice or touch their hand. The one thing I do know is that they are both with me always...I can't see them, touch them but they live on in my heart, soul and my mind...many, many beautiful and loving memories I have that I hold dear to my heart. It does get easier, the pain, but it does take time. Make sure you give yourself this time and try to let the good memories resurface too. Beth, you are such a wonderful person, so make sure you take care of yourself.

Love and ((((HUGS))))
Lori

forscooter
04-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Thank you, Saskia and Lori!

Saskia, we have communicated already and you are, of course, very right in everything you said on how I am feeling and why most likely...never thought I'd miss the craziness of the boys but I do. And really, Bailey and I bonded immediately, he was my soul, so I don't know if that will ever change...but I do feel like I will never have that deep of a bond again. :(

Lori, thank you so very much...it is people like you who keep me going and not feeling so crazy. OK, maybe crazy isn't the word??? :p But it normalizes things out for me if that makes sense although I am so very sorry you had to experience that.

I've tried the front seat with Pallie, although I hate to bc of the airbag...and I can't turn my airbag off, but no luck. She drools, which she isn't a drooler, and then there it comes!!!! And she gets this look on her face...it's so pathetic I feel like I am torturing her. So, she will only go in the car for "have-tos" I'm afraid...and then use the medicine. I can't stand seeing her get so sick within 5 minutes.

I appreciate both your thoughts so very much...oh, I told my son he can build "me" an outdoor pen....for Allo...who is not a happy cat being stuck inside but he is safe and alive...we'll work on the safety...

Tons of love and hugs, Beth

Roxee's Dad
04-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Beth,
Nice to read your update and hope all goes well with the job hunting. I once had a dog that got car sick but eventually he grew out of it thank goodness.

We have a cat (Kittee) caught in one of my feral catch, spay and release traps when she was about 5 weeks old. Couldn't bear to release her in the heat of AZ, so brought her home for the weekend to heal better (that was 4 or 5 years ago) she has never been outside since and I think she is too afraid to go outside. Once they get that taste of freedom, it's hard to take it away. :(

Keeping you and the kids in my thoughts. :)

forscooter
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks, John....Yes, when I got Allo he had been rescued from living in the woods. He's a big cat and now weighs 20 pounds of pure love...but when he was found, he was only 8 pounds :( so he must have been just bones. He has always begged to be outside, and I always made him stay inside. I then had the bright idea of taking him out under close supervision....and he was staying in the yard, trying once to hop the fence but falling instead. I foolishly thought I could leave him since he was staying under the bushes until he got away that night...

three nights or so later he escaped into my garage and into MY crawlspace! But I got him through much luring...(I don't do spiders!!!)

So, now he is not a happy kitty...but maybe the outdoor pen will make him satisfied. Besides the physical dangers I also worry he could have an asthma attack and not be able to get treated.

I keep trying to tell him I love him too much to let him outside but he won't hear of it!:cool:

Lots of love and hugs...and I love that name, Kittee!!!!!!
Beth