PDA

View Full Version : To test now or later? (Clooney, 13-year old poodle mix)

clovermw
02-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Hi, I've never used a discussion board/forum before...so hope I'm doing this right. My bottom line question is: Should I get my dog tested now for Cushing's, or do I wait until his symptoms become worse (or "clinical", as one of the vets suggested)?

The background: I have a roughly 13-year old poodle mix (seems mostly poodle) named Clooney who seems to have mildy excessive thirst and urination (more later on this). He is in good general health, especially for a dog his age. I noticed about 9 months ago that he seemed to be drinking more water than is usual for him - drinking much longer, sometimes getting up at night to drink. He started having occasional accidents (urinating) but also seemed to have stool accidents. Both were usually in the morning if we didn't let him out right away. Usually he is excited about food being around too (especially with pooping accidents). I figured both were due to his age, maybe old-age incontinence. He pretty much lost his hearing around 18 months ago, and also seems to have an on and off fungal/bacterial skin infection - the vet said this probably is the same infection never fully cleared.

November 2009: Clooney had his routine check-up and his urine specific gravity was low - 1.010. (In May 2009, it was 1.035) I mentioned his increased thirst to the vet, who ran routine bloodwork and said we should consider kidney failure, Cushings, and diabetes insipidus. Everything was within normal range (BUN, creatinine, glucose, alk phos, LFTs, etc). He was diagnosed with mildly elevated BP, which is under control with BP medication. Originally, we were worried about early kidney failure. His BUN remained normal/improved 2 weeks after starting BP meds. He recently had all labs rechecked prior to dental cleaning/cyst removal, and everything is still normal. I did a 48-hour measure of his water intake, which was 32 ozs - on the high end of normal, so his intake is not technically excessive. I've been meaning to check it again. When I took away his water before his surgery, he acted really really thirsty - paced around the kitchen for over an hour looking for it that night. I finally gave him a tablespoon which was enough he settled down for the night.

Yesterday (2/11/10), his urine was rechecked. All was normal except the urine specific gravity was still 1.010. Since we were still worried about early kidney failure, they sent it out to check protein/creatinine ratio - and THAT is also normal. So, it does not look like kidney failure, which is a good thing...

So, I usually talk to an older, very thorough but conservative (given Clooney's age, cost of tests, general life expectancy, quality of life, etc) vet who is on vacation right now. Instead I talked to another vet, who essentially told me that Clooney is probably in the early stages of Cushing's disease. But since his symptoms are not very severe, I should wait on the testing until he is waking us up in the night to go out (which he does not seem to do in his older age - wake us up, that is). I asked if diagnosis and treatment early vs. later would prolong his life, and he said not really. I asked what the treatment would be, and it sounds like they use Lysodren. We've dropped close to $2000 in the last year with all his tests and visits ($1000 for the dental/cyst removal alone), so the idea of holding off on more expensive testing is appealing. But not at the expense of Clooney's health/life span.

A few other things: I do notice that Clooney is having more frequent urination accidents, but I'm not clear that it's always because his bladder is really full - sometimes maybe, but other times it seems like we might not let him out RIGHT when he wants to go (I have a distracting and active 18-month old) so he decides to just go wherever. It's always during the day once he's up, I don't find he's had accidents anywhere overnight. The older vet said it might be a little "senility" too, which could be the case too since he doesn't always act particularly guilty like he used to when he'd have an accident.

Besides getting hard of hearing 18 months ago, I did notice he seemed to have "aged" quickly in terms of agility. He has more problems jumping on the couch, going up and particulary down stairs, getting up from laying down, seemed to "strain" his back and ankles a little more, not interested in long walks like before. He just seemed like an older dog. I started giving him glucosamine/chondroitin supplements in November (per vet suggestion), and he has perked up quite a lot. But I know that muscle weakness can be a sign of Cushings - and also old age.

So, increased thirst, increased urination/accidents, low urine specific gravity, muscle weakness are some of his symptoms. Not sure if the skin infections are related other than maybe weakened immune system. But he just had 3 mini cysts removed, his incisions healed nicely, and his fur is growing back quickly. His weight is on the lower side of where he hovers but within a pound (around 18 lbs). He generally acts normal, not quite as happy as he used to be, but no particularly different behavior. He's always been kind of a couch potato or "energy efficient", as I call him. His labs say he is in excellent health, especially given his age.

I plan to talk with his normal vet when he returns from vacation, but I was wondering your opinions on if I should go ahead with testing/treatment sooner vs later.

Assuming he has Cushings, it seems to me that waiting until he is more symptomatic also means more damage to the rest of his body and organs may be happening. But, I understand treatment with Lysodren is essentially chemotherapy, which makes me kind of nervous too. Do symptoms usually get really bad (not just the drinking and peeing) without treatment?

I also read that average life expectancy after diagnosis is roughly 2 years with or with out treatment. Do you all find this to be accurate? (I do realize that 2 years would make Clooney 15yo, which is a ripe old age for a dog - but I was hoping he'd be a wonder dog and live until more like 17!)

I don't know that he has Cushings, but the only other diagnosis left is diabetes insipidus - which the older vet says is very, very rare.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I figure I should provide everything I know.

I really love my Cloonster and can't imagine life without him. Although it's a lot of money, I would spend it and go through the hassle if it means he would have a better quality of life and/or live longer.

Thanks so much for any help!
Melissa

StarDeb55
02-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Melissa, I would like to welcome you & Clooney! I totally understand the struggle to decide whether or not to treat a senior. I went through the same thing with my, at the time, 13 yr. old Shih Tzu, Harley, 2 years ago. I did decide to treat & here we are 2 years later & Harley is doing fine. Please disregard this 2 year life expectancy thing that a lot of vets, & other sources seem to promote. Frankly, it's HOGWASH! My 1st cushpup, Barkley, was successfully treated for nearly 8 years with lysodren, crossing the bridge at 15 from medical causes unrelated to Cushing's. Poodles can be very long-lived little guys, so it would not be unreasonable for you to want to see Clooney make 17.

Let me warn you that we ask a lot of questions of new members to get a handle on your pup's medical history. We aren't trying to be snoopy, but it just helps us to give you the most appropriate feedback that we can from the group's collective experience. You have given us a good start by telling us about some of Clooney's symptoms, along with giving us a general idea about the screening bloodwork that was done prior to his surgery. We would really like to see the results of the general labwork, if you could please get copies from your vet. Please post only the abnormals, along with reporting units & normal ranges. There are some from common abnormalities on screening labwork, especially liver function values, that will usually tip off a vet to look at Cushing's. The most important of these values is the alk phos which you have stated is normal. Has Clooney actually had any specific diagnostic testing for Cushing's? If not, there is a pretty good screening test called a urine cortisol:creatinine ratio. The test is pretty inexpensive, not stressful on the pup, & you can even collect the urine at home. This test is what is termed a "rule-out" test, meaning if the result is negative, you are not dealing with Cushing's. If positive, that simply means that Cushing's is a possibility, further testing required.

I agree with your thoughts that Clooney's symptoms are pretty mild at the moment, if he does have Cushing's. Any Cushing's savy vet will absolutely not start a pup on either of the 2 medications to treat Cushing's without the presence of strong symptoms. The presence of symptoms is especially important when using lysodren as you have to rely on a lessening of symptoms or change in behavior to determine when your dog has reached what is called "loaded", when first starting lysodren therapy. Cushing's is a disease that literally moves at a snail's pace taking several years to do its damage to a pup's internal organs. IMO, Clooney is demonstrating a number of symptoms including the apparent muscle weakness, inappropriate urination, drinking lots. The low specific gravity is also a sign as cushpups can't concentrate their urine do to the quantity of water that they drink. Does Clooney have the usual voracious appetite of most Cushpups? One last thing, your vet is on target with the comment of DI being pretty rare.

IMO, if Clooney were my boy, I think I would go ahead & have the urine cortisol/creatinine ration done, get that result. If it's positive, then sit down with your regular vet & form a plan for the remaining diagnostics that will need to be done. We will be here for you, every step of the way, & can help you to understand everything that is going on, or may need to be done in the future.

Please let us know how your proceed.

Debbie

frijole
02-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Melissa, Hi from me as well. My dog was diagnosed at 12 1/2 and she is now 16+!!!!!!! We use lysodren. While you say he doesn't have symptoms, the urination and problems with jumping up on furniture were the two only real signs I saw... I didn't know about cushings at the time. Eventually her hind legs would sometimes shake/quiver. It wasnt until she had a blood panel done for teeth cleaning that she was diagnosed.

It was the liver enzymes that were elevated and it is surprising that the alkphos levels were normal. So I agree with Deb that doing the urine test would be an easy first step.

There is no rush to treat cushings but never treating it results in organ issues varying from blindness, kidney failure, heart attack, etc. So it isn't something to ignore forever if you really feel he might have it.

I'm glad you found us. If you want to read up on testing and symptoms etc we have a resource section chocked full of material. Keep us posted and ask questions! It is a great forum - saved my dog's life!! Kim

Squirt's Mom
02-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi Melissa and welcome to you and Clooney! :)

When my Squirt was first diagnosed, her signs were mild and intermittent so we didn't start Lyso or Trilo. Signs are critical not only for diagnosing but for monitoring once treatment has started.

We started with a conservative approach using a drug called Anipryl that is most often used for cognitive disorders in dogs but can be helpful in treating Cushing's under certain circumstances....Squirt met those circumstances at the time. She had extensive testing done as well. A friend here told me early on "more info is always better" and I took that to heart....even in the midst of my fear and angst over the diagnosis. I am very glad that I did as it turned out she had a tumor on her spleen that seems to be the cause of her elevated cortisol at the time.

The testing she had revealed she does have a form of Cushing's called Atypical and she is doing very, very well today. :):cool::) She was 10 when we started this Cushing's journey and she will 12 the end of this month. She is still going strong for an old broad! :p

Taking your time determining whether or not Clooney does have Cushing's or some other issue causing her signs is the best approach as far as I am concerned. Cushing's is a slow progressing condition so there is no rush usually and, based on what you have described, you have the time to take with Clooney.

Boy! Do I understand the cost factor! The testing is expensive but once the diagnosis is made, the cost goes down quite a bit. It really isn't necessary to have ALL the Cushing's specific testing done like I did (I can be a bit anal at times! :rolleyes: ) but there are 3 tests I highly recommend - the UC:CR, an abdominal ultrasound done on a high resolution machine, and the full adrenal panel through the Uni. of TN in Knoxville (UTK). The UC:CR has already been mentioned; it can rule out Cushing's but not confirm it. The U/S will let them see not only the adrenals but many other organs as well like the liver, kidneys, spleen, intestines, stomach plus others. The UTK panel will check the cortisol level plus five other hormones that can come into play with Cushing's. IMHO these three tests can give you a very good picture of what is going on with Clooney.

I am glad you found us and hope to learn much more about both of you in the days ahead. This can be a frightening, frustrating endeavor and we all understand these emotions...we've been there ourselves! Please don't hesitate to ask questions or just talk if you feel the need. We will be here with you every step of the way and do our best to help you understand and learn.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls - always

gpgscott
02-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Welcome to you both,

Melissa, you have already been given some good advice. And it really pains me to see the $ poured down the diagnostic drain, not to mention the stress for the pup.

My suggestion to you is do nothing at this time, listen to members here who post and then develop a planned diagnosis path.

It does not seem that Clooney is in immediate danger. I think the right course for you both is to find the most direct diagnostic path.

Scott

clovermw
02-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Hi,

Thanks everyone for responding. I thought my extremely long post might be a turn off! :) Thanks for the encouragement too. The vets never said anything about the 2-year survival rate, but I kept seeing it whenever I read any articles. I understand that statistics are what they are, but it's good to know real life stories and how things really go.

Debbie - you had asked for lab results and to post only the abnormals. But everything is normal right now, except for the urine specific gravity. And also his blood pressure - was 190, but now 170-175 on medication, which they are satisfied with. Liver function tests are normal, and alk phos is normal. Do you want me to get the actual alk phos value? And the liver enzymes values or anything else? My vet was slightly puzzled but always pleased when everything kept coming back "totally normal" for Clooney. My vet seemed to be leaning toward early kidney failure since everything else was so normal, but I believe the urine protein/creatinine ration ruled that out.

Clooney's appetite seems to be the same. I've been kind of paranoid about it all lately, so I wondered if he might be eating a little bit more - but his appetite is certainly nowhere near voracious. We leave his food out all the time, and he eats when he's hungry, usually later at night when he's sure we're done eating. :) He will stop when he's full, and there's usually still kibbles left in his bowl. He's never been a big eater or drinker, which why I noticed his increased drinking.

I still plan to talk with the regular vet, but Clooney has a BP recheck and will do a mini-panel along with his heartworm blood test in April/May. Do you think it's reasonable to wait until then, given the fact that Cushings progresses slowly and Clooney is only mildly symptomatic? I think my regular vet will say to just wait... Or do you think it's best to just find out now anyway?

Thanks for the info on Lysodren and Clooney needing to be more symptomatic for txt. It's hard to have to wait until he's worse and that this labs may become abnormal - the tendency is to want to treat early/NOW, while he is still relatively normal/healthy. But I guess you can't with Lysodern and maybe some of the others. Do some of the symptoms like muscle weakness improve after treatment? I hate to see him get weak if that is something that is not regained, but it doesn't seem there is a choice if he is not symptomatic.

I will read up some more on Cushings and the diagnosis and treatment, and I'll post again since I'm sure I'll have more questions. Let me know if there is additional info I can provide that would be helpful.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm really glad to have found a place where people can give such thorough suggestions!
Melissa

acushdogsmom
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi,

Thanks everyone for responding. I thought my extremely long post might be a turn off! :) Thanks for the encouragement too. The vets never said anything about the 2-year survival rate, but I kept seeing it whenever I read any articles. I understand that statistics are what they are, but it's good to know real life stories and how things really go. Re the 2-year survival rate, here's a link to a post in our Resources which explains how that 2 year number may have been arrived at:

About that 2-year prognosis:
http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186

And for the record, my dog was treated (with Lysodren) and lived happily and well for more than 6 years after diagnosis. All symptoms disappeared and even the abnormal blood chemistry values returned to normal about a month or so after we started treatment :D

He did not have all of the usual Cushing's symptoms when we started treatment, but he did have a ravenous appetite, increase in water consumption, some hair loss, weight gain, rear leg weakness and was starting to have pee accidents in the house (very unusual for him!)

StarDeb55
02-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Melissa, since all of the general bloodwork is still within normal range, no need to post. Clooney is mildly symptomatic, so I don't think you need to be in a huge hurry to start treatment. Talk to the regular vet, work up a plan for further treatment, & read, read ,read. I still would get the UCCR done in the immediate future. That way, if it's positive, you kind of have head start on what to expect, where to go when the time comes for a full diagnostic workup. I don't think any of us have mentioned this, but it's very important that both diabetes & thyroid be ruled out as a lot of the symptoms for these 2 issues overlap with Cushing's.

Debbie

labblab
02-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Melissa,

Just wanted to pop in and welcome you, as well! I agree with the "group's" recommendation that the UC:CR is a good place to start in terms of testing. But one hint in that regard -- it has been our experience that vets commonly perform that test using only one single urine sample. One of our members is a veterinary endocrinologist, and he has advised us that there is much greater reliability if the test is performed using a "pooled" urine sample:

Urine cortisols can be a problem. Many studies have shown that the only way to accurately gauge urine cortisol levels is to obtain the first morning voided urine sample on 3 consecutive days and then pooling the urine to run a UCCR. When done in this fashion it is likely an accurate test. Otherwise there is likely too much day to day variation to make a single random cortisol very helpful.

Dave Bruyette DVM DACVIM
So if you do decide to pursue this testing, I'd encourage you to discuss using a pooled sample with your vet. (And in doing so, you just need to keep the samples refrigerated during the period of time that you are collecting them).

Marianne

littleone1
02-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi Melissa,

Corky and I would also like to welcome you and Clooney.

You have gotten some good advice from our members.

I don't really have anything to add, but I did want to say hi.

Terri

jrepac
02-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Melissa, since all of the general bloodwork is still within normal range, no need to post. Clooney is mildly symptomatic, so I don't think you need to be in a huge hurry to start treatment. Talk to the regular vet, work up a plan for further treatment, & read, read ,read. I still would get the UCCR done in the immediate future. That way, if it's positive, you kind of have head start on what to expect, where to go when the time comes for a full diagnostic workup. I don't think any of us have mentioned this, but it's very important that both diabetes & thyroid be ruled out as a lot of the symptoms for these 2 issues overlap with Cushing's.

Debbie

As the others suggest, I'd get the UC:CR test...it's not terribly expensive (under $100) and can tell you if Cushings is a possibility.

You can have a pup w/some but not all of the cushings symptoms manifesting themselves early on....before the disease is full blown. Some of us like to call it "pre-cushings"....Personally, I was in that situation, where I suspected cushings--the symptoms, were there, but the tests didn't quite confirm it (but pointed to it). Really, only about a year later, did I get a firm diagnosis/confirmation. So, it can be tricky. I actually began treating w/Anipryl several months BEFORE final diagnosis of Cushings, to help deal w/the symptoms I was seeing on a regular basis. This is a bit unusual, but I was not going to start using lysodren (as one vet recommended) w/out having confirmation of the disease. Net, net, I wound up staying on the anipryl regimen after diagnosis of Cushings (regular & atypical), adding several other supplements (like melatonin and lignans).

Not sure how much worth I would put into that 2-year life span estimate, based on experiences of others here. Once you get the diagnosis and begin treating, many have had good success keeping the disease under control. Every case is different, frankly.

Good luck!

Jeff