PDA

View Full Version : My daughter's "Memoirs"...Darla

sarahbera1
02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Just thought I would share with you something my daughter, Jaelyn, wrote around Christmas time. For those of you who don't know, I had to put my sweet Darla down this past Sept. due to a right adrenal tumor. I have 2 young daughters and had to explain to them what was happening. Needless to say it was very difficult and teary. Fast forward to January. I received papers home from Jaelyn's teacher and among them was the story of how she came to learn about when and why were had to put Darla down. She wrote 2 pages of what I said to her and how she felt. Never once did she ask me about this prior to her writing, (we only talked in detail about Darla on that Sept. day) she just remembered it like it was yesterday. I started to cry when I read the first sentence and yes it is entitled "Memoirs". I can't believe my 9 year old daughter was able to accomplish this on her own. It's really amazing how much our kids listen, learn and feel when they experience something. This has affected her much more than I realize, but it looks as though by writing she was better able to deal with the loss of Darla. I am so proud of her!
Sarah, Rascal and Darla in Spirit :)

Dollydog
02-07-2010, 10:31 PM
It is amazing how much young children take in....I'm off to bed now but will check your thread tomorrow to see what you posted just after Darla crossed the bridge. I seem to remember you being very concerned about how they were going to deal with everything. So glad you have such tangible evidence...
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel :)

labblab
02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Dear Sarah,

Thank you so much for sharing this story of your daughter's "Memoirs." It really touches my heart, just as it did yours! It is amazing how perceptive and insightful children can be. It is clear that Darla will always be loved and treasured by your entire family...:o :)

Many (((hugs))) to you all,
Marianne