PDA

View Full Version : Dave & Princess

Dave & Princess
02-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi folks, thank you for this forum. I hope it will help Princess. She is a 14 yo spayed female, mixed breed, probably lab and greyhound(?). She had routine bloodwork done, Nov 2009, all normal. She started to show inappetance in Dec 09 – Jan 2010 so bloodwork was done again. The anomalies were ALT 168 (normal high 107), GGT 20 (normal high 14), and BUN 32 (normal high 27), all others within normal limits, urine specific gravity 1.025.

15 Jan 2010, I had an ultrasound done with chest x-rays:

“Findings: There is an ovoid, slightly irregular, diffusely hyperechoic mass adjacent to the cranial pole of the left kidney. It measures 4.2 cm in the dorsoventral dimension. The mass is adjacent to the caudal vena cava and no flow is seen in this vessel as it passes the mass. The aorta does not appear to be affected. There is a 2.2 cm nodule in the tail of the spleen which deforms the capsule, is primarily hypoechoic and contains a few foci of mineral. There are no abnormalities seen of the gallbladder, liver, kidneys, right adrenal gland, urinary bladder, medial iliac or mesenteric lymph nodes, pancreas or GI tract.”

“Opinion: Large left adrenal mass. The owner does not describe symptoms typical of pheochromocytoma (agitation, collapse). The lack of contralateral adrenal gland atrophy suggests that the mass in not producing cortisol. Therefore, nonfunctional tumor is most likely. The splenic nodule could represent a benign incidental finding, although metastasis cannot be excluded. Thoracic radiographs and additional biochemical/endocrine testing may be helpful prior to any planned surgery.”

I then had an ACTH test run 27 Jan 2010 (I couldn't get the data to line up):

Test Result (Baseline) Normal Range** Result (Post-ACTH) Normal Range**
Cortisol ng/ml 23.5 2.1-58.8 122.7 65.0-174.6
Androstenedione ng/ml 0.60* 0.05-0.57 3.91 0.27-3.97
Estradiol pg/ml 83.3* 30.8-69.9 73.0* 27.9-69.2
Progesterone ng/ml 0.12 0.03-0.49 1.33 0.10-1.50
17 OH Progesterone ng/ml 0.06 0.08-0.77 0.99 0.40-1.62
Aldosterone pg/ml*** 15.4 11-139.9 113.7 72.9-398.5

* Above or below reference range
**Mean normal range values for spayed female dogs (N=36). QNS= Insufficient sample.
***Normal range values for male and female dogs (N=72 baseline, N=23 post-ACTH)

“These results: [?] indicate presence of increased adrenal activity. (marginal)
[ ] indicate presence of adrenal hypofunction
[ ] are within normal limits
Comments: (History: L-adrenal mass at US) Values are increased as indicated. Androstenedione elevation is marginal, that of estradiol marginal-mild. Typically a functional mass is characterized by elevation of several steroid, this is not the case. Although estrogen may contribute to clinical signs it is not a good indicator of adrenal activity. Various treatment option considerations are attached Some veterinarians consider items 2-4 (melatonin, melatonin implants, lignin), for estradiol control, if symptomatic.”

Her EKG was normal and her BP was 220.

Dave’s notes on Princess: Princess is not on any meds besides supplements. She has been on the Dr. Pitcairn’s diet for many years (50% Pitcairn, 50% quality commercial food). Princess did have cluster seizures about 7 years ago and was treated with pheno-barb. This condition persisted for less than a year and she was weaned off the pheno-barb. She had one seizure about a year and a half ago. She has had focal (facial) seizures for two years usually caused by “crinkly” noises. She is much more critical of her food choices but has not lost weight. She does drink more water and urinate more but she is nowhere near incontinent. She has a good 25-45 minute walk every day and she shows no excessive lethargy compared to, say, a year ago. She does have some hind quarter weakness but this seems to have progressed with arthritis and age, ie no serious recent changes. She does have some excess panting. She has no other Cushing’s symptoms as described by Kate Connick. I am being told that this is probably a pheochromocytoma and not Cushing’s. I am in Massachusetts so if you have any internists/surgeon referrals with experience in this area, it would be greatly appreciated. We thank you!

littleone1
02-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Hi Dave,

Corky and I want to say hi and welcome you and Princess. You have found a terrific group of very caring and knowledgeable people.

Others will be along that can better understand the test results. I'm still in the learning process.

Terri

Franklin'sMum
02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi Dave,

Welcome to you and Princess. Much like Terri, I'm still in the learning process myself, but from what I can see (and what I understand) Princess' cortisol (both her base and post levels) appear to be well within the normal reference range.
Her estradiol and androstenedione base levels are higher than the ref. ranges listed, so along with whatever may be going on inside Princess, maybe you might like to read up on Atypical Cushings (where some/all of the intermediate hormones are elevated). There's some great info on the "Helpful Resources for owners of Cushing's Dogs" page.

In Pituitary Cushings, it is common for the ALT, AST, ALP and cholesterol to be elevated, and from your post, of these, only the ALT is slightly out of range.

You mention a splenic nodule showed up on U/Sound, Leslie's (Squirt'sMom) baby girl Squirt had a splenic tumor that caused all the testing to come back pointing towards pituitary Cushings, and after surgery to remove the tumor Squirt is clear of regular cushings, but has the atypical form of cushings. Most atypical cush parents on the board here treat that with Melatonin and Flax lignans.

You might like to check out Leslie's thread- Squirt, PDH and Atypical, and also Lori and Harley's thread- (HarleyPomMom) Harley 13 yo Pom- PDH/Lysodren, as Harley also has Atypical.

Hope this helps,

Jane and Franklin xx
________
BABE GERMAN (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/185/german/videos/1)

Buffaloe
02-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Dave,

My Shiloh had a functional adrenal tumor (corticol) in her left gland surgically removed in 2006. Her tumor was about 5 cm x 6 cm in diameter. Two extremely talented and experienced board certified surgeons performed her adrenalectomy and it provided a complete cure. She also had a nodule removed on her spleen. We are in Phoenix.

You probably already know, but tumors in the left gland are generally much easier to remove than those in the right gland.

When I first came to this board in early 2006, there were a couple of members whose dogs had very successful adrenalectomies on the east coast. They spoke glowingly of their surgeon and I think his name was "Palmisano." I did a quick search and found this surgeon although I am not sure if he is the same one:

http://www.acvs.org/VeterinaryProfessionals/FindaSurgeon/index.cfm?flShowForm=0

If you are going to pursue an adrenalectomy for Princess, I just think you need to find the very most skilled and experienced surgeon available. My vet hooked me up with our surgeon. The acvs website is a good place to find the surgeons in your area. A consultation with a top board certified surgeon would be my recommendation.

Ken

chapmandou
02-06-2010, 12:53 PM
You are correct, Ken. Dr. Palmisano successfully removed our boy's right adrenal gland, as well as his spleen. The adrenal tumor was a pheochromocytoma, which had invaded the caudal vena cava. It was a very tricky surgery, but in Sammy's case, quite successful. Details of Sammy's symptoms as well as the surgery can be found in the archives on this site:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041

Dr. Palmisano seems to have a particular talent for adrenal surgery. (Over two years later, he had to remove Sammy's left adrenal gland as well, since it had developed a functioning tumor. Also a successful surgery.) If you are unable to travel to CT, perhaps Dr. Palmisano can recommend someone closer to you.

Matthew P. Palmisano, DVM , Diplomate ACVS 2001
Organization: Veterinary Referral & Emergency Ctr
Address: 123 W Cedar St
Norwalk, Connecticut 06854 USA
Office Telephone: (203) 854-9960 Office Fax: (203) 838-5956
E-mail: mpalmi6589@aol.com

You did mention that Princess had occasional bouts of panting. That was one of Sammy's most predominant symptoms -- bouts of panting together w/the appearance of distress, discomfort or panic, but never collapse. His blood pressure was sky-high during these episodes, so BP is something else that should be checked during her workup.

All the best,
Carol

gpgscott
02-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Welcome Dave and pup, and thanks to Ken and Carol.

Very glad you have found us, I bet there are members her that can give you some first hand advice.

So, she is an elder and with some history...

Many people come here after already beginning treatment. You appear to be the exception in this area.

We will do the best we can to help you figure it all out.

Scott

Dave & Princess
02-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I brought Princess in for surgery today for an adrenalectomy and in her pre-op work-up, I had a CT scan run to best arm the surgeon with a "map" of what was going on. It turns out that the adrenal gland tumor has metastasized more than had been seen in the ultrasound. The kidney and the vena cava have been invaded making surgery a futile effort, this is either a Pheo or a carcinoma. Her chances of surviving that surgery to any degree would have been poor so I did not have it done. My surgeon consulted with oncology and there is really nothing they can do to shrink it down or have much beneficial effect. They do not have a time line for her but she is in the best hands with me. She is 14, almost 15, and she has had a very good life. The best I can do for her right now is quality of life and enjoyment.

I can't help but think that Sassy's passing in November may have affected her will to live or changed her in some way without having another companion dog. The silver lining in the cloud is that I have not been working these past months and been able to spend more time with them. I thank you for your support and request that you keep us in your prayers.

Dave

littleone1
02-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm so sorry to hear about Princess. Corky also has an adrenal tumor on his right adrenal gland, and he also is not a good candidate for surgery.

I will be keeping you and Princess in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs for both of you.

Terri and Corky

MiniSchnauzerMom
02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi Dave,

I haven't posted to your thread about Princess before but I've been following. Just wanted to say how sorry I was to read today's update on Princess. Will definitely keep you both in my prayers.

Give Princess some extra-special neck rubs from me.

Louise

frijole
02-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Dave, I too have followed your story and will certainly send prayers your way. Meanwhile give Princess a big hug for me. It is great that you have had time to savor every moment. Keep up the great work. And keep us posted ok? Kim

Harley PoMMom
02-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Hi Dave,

I am so sorry too, and I will definitely be keeping you and Princess in my thoughts and prayers. Please give your beautiful girl some hugs from me too.

Love and hugs,
Lori

Squirt's Mom
02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi Dave,

How terrible for you to learn this so suddenly when you thought you could help her via surgery. I am so sorry.

You said it right, tho, she is in the best hands with you. Love has a power all it's own and it is obvious you have plenty of that to give her.

We are here any time you need to talk, honey. Someone is on 24/7.

Know you are in our thoughts and prayers,
Hugs,
Leslie and the girls - always

Buffaloe
02-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Dave,

I am so sorry to hear that the tumor is inoperable. You sure did a great thing by having the CT scan done before surgery. According to my surgeon, one day radiation therapy will be an effective treatment for adrenal tumors but they're not there yet.

My only thought is that perhaps Trilostane or Lysodren would be of some benefit for Princess. They treat the symptoms of adrenal tumors to some extent. Then again, her cushing's symptoms don't sound like they are very bad so it may be better to leave well enough alone.

I will be praying for you and Princess. I am hopeful that you will have a nice amount of quality time with your girl. I know you will spoil her and make her as happy and as comfortable as possible. Like Shiloh, Princess has earned her spurs...I'd say, within reason, give her anything she wants and let her go at her own pace.

Ken

Casey's Mom
02-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Dave sorry to hear the news about Princess, I am glad you get to spend lots of time with her now - That indeed is a silver lining. She will know how much she is loved.

Hugs to you and Princess,

Dave & Princess
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks Kim and all. I have updated the avatar so you can actually see Princess now. She is a black and brindle mixed breed. She was born in a puppy mill in Tucson, AZ and came with parvo. She has lived with her "brother" Skeeter and "sister" Sassy in five different states: AZ, Alaska, Florida, Texas, and Massachusetts. She endured my trip to Iraq.

She is doing well, not showing any further symptoms. I take her on her daily walks and sometimes I pick up her friend Holden (a 4 yo Border Collie) to accompany us, (Skeeter and Sassy have since passed).

And I assure you she gets the extra attention that you all have requested.

Dave & Princess
03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and support. I have included Princess' avatar with my profile, you can see she is black and brindle with some gray on her muzzle and eyes.

She is doing well. She does not have any further symptoms than those previously mentioned. She gets her nice daily walk in the woods, sometimes with her Border Collie friend, Holden.

She has lived in five different states: Arizona, Alaska, Florida, Texas, and now Massachusetts. Her two companion dogs Skeeter and Sassy until they passed on in Nov 07 and Nov 09 respectively.

Princess is a lifesaver. In Alaska, she actually kept a moose at bay that had been attacking us. My friend's wife fell down and Princess turned on the moose and barked at the moose until the wife could get up and get into the safety of the trees (where moose can't manuever so well).

Dave

frijole
03-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Dave,

Thanks for sharing the photo and the stories! It is obvious that Princess has led a life filled with great times and lots of love. Glad to hear she is doing fine and enjoying daily walks. Enjoy every step. You deserve it! Kim

BestBuddy
03-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Dave,

Princess is very beautiful. Enjoy each day with her. A beautiful brave girl like her deserves to be spoiled a little.:D

Jenny

Harley PoMMom
03-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi Dave,

Was just wondering how you and your beautiful girl were doing. When you get a chance, please let us know.

Love and hugs,
Lori

BestBuddy
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi Dave,
If you are checking back just know a lot of us are thinking of you and wondering how you and Princess are doing. I hope you are able to have some of those special moments and we would just love to hear.
Jenny

labblab
03-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Dear Dave,

I've not had the chance to post to you before, but I wanted to tell you that I am thinking of both you and Princess. I so hope that you are continuing to have your walks with Princess, and that you are able to cherish your time together.

As Jenny and Lori have already said, we would very much welcome an update from you. Whenever you have the time to write to us, we will be grateful to hear how you and Princess are doing.

With hugs to you both,
Marianne

frijole
03-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Dave, Glad to see your thread again! I was wondering yesterday how you and Princess are doing. Hoping all is well. Kim