PDA

View Full Version : Canned Pumpkin Shortage

littleone1
01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I have been trying to buy canned pumpkin for Corky, but none of the stores where I am have it. I have been told by store managers at 4 different stores that there is a pumpkin shortage.

I did look on the web and found a site that does say that there is a pumpkin shortage.

Has anyone else had problems buying canned pumpkin?

Terri

Squirt's Mom
01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
YES! geez...I thought they were just cutting back stock since the holidays were over! :rolleyes: What is the reason for the shortage? I am glad to know there is a more reasonable cause for this than the almighty profit margin. Thanks, Terri!

Hugs,
Leslie

littleone1
01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi Leslie,

Evidentally the farmers lost 1/3 of their crop due to bad weather conditions.

One of the managers told me that his store probably wouldn't have it until October. Now I have to figure out what else I can give Corky.

Squirt's Mom
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
WOW! October....geez. Maybe the local farmers markets can help, or the health food stores as they don't have the turn-over some of the other groceries do. I will also check to see if there is anything else that will work like pumpkin does and let you know if I learn anything.

Hugs,
Leslie

littleone1
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I checked with Trader Joe's and Sprouts. They don't have any either.

I finally called Corky's IMS. Since I can't get the pumpkin, she said I could give Corky 1/4 tsp of Metamucil daily. I might have to give him a little more, depending on how he does with the amount. If that works, I'll give him that from now on.

I appreciate your checking for other substitutes. Thanks, Leslie.

Squirt's Mom
01-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey Terri,

Here are some suggestions from my nutrition group:

"Sweet potatoes and orange squash will work as well. You can also find dehydrated pumpkin. You might see if there is a nearby store that sells the larger institutional cans of pumpkin such as a smart and final. Mainly the pumpkin that was damaged by rain is the kind Libby grows for their product. Pumpkin powder will be more yellow. Libby puts food coloring in their product to make it look like the skin of a pumpkin.

...you can purchase psyllium (I use Yerba Prima brand because it's pure), and I get mine from puritan.com online 1 TSP with each meal works well for my 60 pound female and my 67 pound male. It helps both diarrhea and constipation and is safe to use and the Yerba Prima is gluten free in case your pups have a gluten allergy. Works GREAT and much cheaper than pumpkin."

If I hear more, I'll pass it on!
Hugs,
Leslie

littleone1
01-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Thank you so much Leslie for checking on this for all of us. It certainly gives me more options. I feel better about this now.

It was very sweet of you to do this.

logans mom
01-19-2010, 04:08 PM
I live in Eureka IL which is 15 miles from Morton, IL. Morton is home to the Nestle/Libby pumpkin packing plant. 80% of pumpkins are grown here in Illinois. We were hit very hard with heavy rains during the pumpkin harvest which prevented farmers to harvest their crop. Many pumpkins sat in water drenched fields and rotted. Hence, shortage.
But, I did call our local grocery store and was told they had several dozens on their shelf. (1.77 per 15 oz. can). I would be more than happy to purchase these and send them to you or anyone who is in need.

Please let me know.

Debbie

Roxee's Dad
01-19-2010, 04:10 PM
I've been growing my own pumkins the last 2 years. Cook em up and freeze seperate portions. Might be a good thought to buy pumkin seeds now before they run out of those too :(

Squirt's Mom
01-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Terri,

Here is some more info for you:

Check out fruitablespetfood.com. http://fruitablespetfood.com/fruitables_products.html

A friend uses their fruitables dry food mixer - pumpkin with cinnamon.

More about their powdered products are here
http://fruitablespetfood.com/fruitables_nutrition.html

Another source of canned pumpkin available in many places is here
http://www.farmersmarketfoods.com/products/

Hugs,
Leslie

littleone1
01-19-2010, 04:30 PM
You have been so helpful Leslie. Thank you so much for taking the time to get all of this information.

MiniSchnauzerMom
01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Terri,

Another place you might check is your local health food store. Although there was no canned pumpkin at Trader Joe's or Sprouts here in my area of CA I noticed that the health food store I go to (a chain of 3) has the Farmers Market Organic Canned Pumpkin available for online ordering and I also saw the same brand at Amazon. Shipping could be rather pricey but it's a possibility. Just in case....here's a link to the online info and you can also buy over the phone so I included the toll free phone #.

http://www.clarksnutrition.com/shop/product_view.asp?id=118791&StoreID=2691B1FE187D41ACB869A85CA5957A0A&private_product=0

Buy Products Over the Phone
Please Call (800) 251-8996 9am - 4pm Monday thru Friday

Louise

littleone1
01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the information and the link, Louise. I really appreciate it. I now have several options. I will also check local health food stores to see if they have it.

littleone1
01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
FYI

I found a Smart and Final not too far from me and they do have canned pumpkin. It's the real big cans, but that's okay. As long as I keep in in the fridge it should last for awhile.

Terri

AlisonandMia
01-19-2010, 07:07 PM
You could freeze what you can't use within a few days.

Here in Australia we can't buy canned pumpkin - or at least I've never seen it. I simply zap fresh pumpkin in the microwave and either keep it in the fridge or freeze it depending how much I make up in one go.

Alison

littleone1
01-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi Alison,

Thank you for the info.

I tried to freeze the canned pumpkin, but it doesn't work very well. It separates, gets watery with chunks in it, and I couldn't get it smooth. I wound up throwing it out. If I could find a pumpkin, I would make it and then freeze it. That's what I'll do in the future to be sure that I would have it.

Terri

Carol G
01-20-2010, 12:38 AM
The specialty pet food store where I shop has a brand of pumpkin specifically for pets (I imagine it is much more expensive though).

I tried freezing part of a big Smart & Final can and it did get a funny texture when thawed but I'm wondering if you could put it in the food processor to get the smoothness back.

Funny thing, I tried giving Winnie & McGill an organic canned pumpkin and they wouldn't eat it -- wanted the Libbys. They both really liked the taste of the Libbys.

Carol & Atty Cat and always Winnie & McGill

littleone1
01-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks Carol. I'll have to try the blender, as I don't have a food processor. That might work. I know it tasted okay, but it was just yucky. It's worth a try, as I know I won't use a big can before it goes bad.

Terri