PDA

View Full Version : New member: 8 yo Nikki (dachshund) with cushings/blindness/seizures

zambrano99
01-18-2010, 06:46 AM
My Nikki was just diagnosed with cushings. Her presenting dx was seizures and blindness. She started to gain weight, I thought because she didn't have anything else to do except eat, since she was blind. A couple of months later she started to have excessive thirst, wetting, and increased appetite. She had blood tests which ruled out diabetis and diagnosed Cushings. We discussed that this was likely due to a pituitary tumor. She just started Vetoryl 30 mg a few days ago. It is difficult to deal with a Cushing's diagnosis, but to have to deal with the blindness as well is much more difficult. I'm unsure of the future and I'm afraid she will not do well. I fear for her quality of life with the combination of symptoms listed. Anyone else with similar conditions?

labblab
01-18-2010, 07:31 AM
I am so glad that you and Nikki have found us, although I am so sorry as to the reason why. It sounds as though you have had a very difficult time during these past few months. I know that others will soon be by to welcome you as well, and also to ask you numerous questions -- we apologize in advance, but the questions help us to help you!

In that vein, I'll start off with a few... Can you tell us how much Nikki weighs? Also, whether or not she had any other health issues prior to the onset of her blindness and seizures? And how about her seizures -- have they continued or were they a temporary problem? Finally, can you tell us more specifically about her Cushing's testing: what test/s were performed, and what were the actual test results?

I must confess, her symptom progression is a bit of a puzzle. First off, I do want to tell you that there is a condition that causes blindness in dogs that mimics Cushing's and often leads to a false initial diagnosis of Cushings. This disease is named SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome), and here is a link that explains it more fully:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213

But dogs with SARDS typically lose their vision while also simultaneously exhibiting the Cushing's symptoms of increased appetite, thirst, etc. Then the Cushing's symptoms usually taper off over time. So Nikki's experience does not exactly fit the SARDS profile alone. In addition, you say that Nikki has actually tested positive for Cushing's on a diagnostic blood test.

The other thought that came to my mind is that she might be suffering from an enlarging pituitary tumor that is placing pressure on other areas of her brain and producing neurological problems in addition to conventional Cushing's symptoms. But again, you would expect the traditional Cushing's symptoms to have been simultaneous with (or more likely preceded) the blindness and seizures. Plus, according to the first article ln this link, blindness and seizures -- although possible -- are both uncommon symptoms of enlarging pituitary tumors:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229

So having said all that, perhaps it is truly the case that the three conditions are unrelated in Nikki. If so, what bad luck!! :( :( :(

However, Vetoryl can be a very effective treatment for pituitary Cushing's. So once we know a bit more about Nikki, we can tell you more as to what you can expect -- and hopefully she will soon be showing improvement!

Marianne

P.S. I edited your thread title a little bit in order to highlight all three of Nikki's current problems.

frijole
01-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Welcome from me as well... I would be interested in the testing that was done to dx cushings. If you have the results it would help if you posted them. Glad you found us. Tell us all you can! Kim

Roxee's Dad
01-18-2010, 09:20 AM
A warm welcome from me too. We look forward to reading more about Nikki. How long ago did Nikki lose her vision? They usually learn to cope very well with loss of vision. It takes a bit of time. My Mickee is about 90% blind and does very well with navigating around the house and yard and I work with rescue's that are totally blind and some that are blind and deaf and they are as happy as can be :):D and have learned to cope with their blindness.

Squirt's Mom
01-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi and welcome to you and Nikki! :)

You have found the very best place to be to learn about Cushing's, it's myriad facets and related conditions. Not to mention you couldn't have found a more loving, caring and supportive bunch of folks to stand with you and Nikki through thick and thin. I am so glad you are here!

I do have just a few more questions for you....naturally! :p First, what is your name if you don't mind sharing? Is she on any other meds, supplements, herbs, etc. at the moment? Did her blindness seem to happen suddenly or was it a gradual thing? What is Nikki eating? Had anything in her environment changed prior to the seizures?

Honey, I certainly understand how frazzled you are and how scared you must be feeling. When my Squirt was first diagnosed with Cushing's, I simply went bonkers. :eek: I cried for weeks on end, could think of nothing else, my mind wasn't able to absorb anything anyone told me or that I read. All I knew was that my precious baby was sick with a terrible disease and I just knew I was going to lose her any day. A friend of mine here described me like someone who had stuck their finger in a light socket - hair standing on end! She kindly forgot to mention the bugged out eyes and flying slobber. :p But,the more I learned the better I felt, the more understanding I was able to grasp, the less desperate I felt and the more I knew this wasn't a death sentence after all. I know the same will be true for you as well. ;)

You do have a lot on your plate right now with the blindness and seizures plus the diagnosis of Cushing's. Even so, there is always hope, always. The key is knowledge. You are Nikki's first and last defense, her advocate, her only voice; the more you know the better you will be in these roles. It's a lot to contemplate tackling, how well I know, but you have a new family here now who will help you in any way we can. You and Nikki are no longer alone on this journey - we will be with you every step of the way.

Please ask any and all questions you may have. If we don't know the answer, we will help you find it. Read the threads of other members here; check out our Resource section -
K9C Resource section:
http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

...many related topics are covered there. Read all you can, then read some more and ask more questions. In no time you will be an old hand at this. ;)

Keep your chin up!
Hugs,
Leslie and the girls - always

littleone1
01-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Corky and I would also like to welcome you and Nikki. If you don't mind, would you please tell us your first name. It's always nice to be able to use a person's name when we post anything.

I'm sorry that Nikki is having these issues. I know Cushings can be very frightening, but you have found a wonderful group of very caring supportive people who have a wealth of knowledge.

I know that I was really scared when Corky was diagnosed with Cushings. He's now been on Trilostane for about 3 1/2 months. He has multiple health issues, but is doing good with the treatment. His clinical signs have disappeared.

I'm hoping that Nikki's treatment goes well.

Terri

lulusmom
01-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi and welcome from me too.

If Nikki's loss of vision was lost suddenly over a period of days, I would agree with Marianne that SARDS is a very good possibility as this condition was first reported in Dachshunds. I believe that only a veterinary opthamologist can determine if SARDS is the source of Nikki's blindness. It is thought that SARDS and cushing's are connected; however, nobody has been able to establish what that connection is.

Marianne is also correct that a good number of dogs present with cushing's symptoms prior to blindness; however, a good number of them don't become symptomatic until after blindness. Some are eventually diagnosed with typical cushing's which involves elevation of cortisol but almost all SARDS dogs experience elevated intermediate hormones before or within several months after the onset of blindness. When dogs have normal cortisol levels but one or more of the intermediate hormones is elevated, it is called atypical cushing's.

In doing research on SARDS, it seems that atypical cushing's is more common with SARDS dogs and it is very common for symptoms to resolve within a number of months after the onset of blindness. This is why some vets experienced with this condition choose to take a wait and see approach before prescribing meds.

Having said all that, I will say that Dachshunds are a breed that seems to be more predisposed to cushing's than most so it's quite possible that Nikki truly is cushingoid. It would be great if you could post the results of all test results. We would be most interested in the results of acth stimulations tests, LDDS tests, HDDS tests and any abdominal ultrasound findings. The last two tests are used to differentiate between pituitary and adrenal based cushing's. A small percentage of dogs have adrenal tumors and dachshunds are in the short list of breeds that are at higher risk so in your shoes, I would want to know for sure what form of cushing's Nikki has. If Nikkie were to have an adrenal tumor and she is otherwise healthy, surgery could be a permanent solution; however, it is a risky surgery and must be done by a highly experienced, board certified surgeon. I'm getting way ahead of myself here so I'll wait until we have more information from you so I don't overload you with stuff that you don't really need to think about.

I've attached a link to a great blind dog survey which I recommend that you take. The more people that participate, the more meaningful the data. You will see that there are many pet owners just like you that are dealing with their sweet dog's loss of vision and other conditions. If you look at the results thus far, some of the heavily weighted responses to some of the questions are pretty telling. Such as the majority of dogs becoming symptomatic prior to and after the onset of blindness and most people taking the survey think they know more about SARDS than their vets. Another thing I found interesting is that altered females are over represented (44%).

http://blinddog.info/survey.shtml

Dealing with cushing's is tough enough but having your baby lose her vision has got to be terrible for you. I am so sorry that you and your baby are going through this tough time but please know that you don't have to go it alone anymore. We're all here to help in anyway we can. I've had blind babies and can tell you that dogs are not like people and most readily adapt to their blindness without all the emotional upheaval. They may need some help from mom and dad initially but they do adapt quite well. There is some information on how to help your baby adapt on the same site as the above survey and I have provided a direct link to that page below:

http://blinddog.info/blinddoghelp.htm

Glynda

MiniSchnauzerMom
01-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to drop by and add my "welcome" to you and Nikki also. You've already been given some good information and I've got nothing to add other than we really do understand how difficult it is to deal with that initial Cushings diagnosis and then with Nikki's blindness and seizures added, that is a very full plate! Just remember that you are not alone anymore. We're here to offer our support and help in whatever way we are able.

I hope Nikki does well on her Trilostane treatment. Let us know how she (and you) are doing!

Louise