PDA

View Full Version : Tigger-Sick Cat-Diabetes, Heart Failure & Hyperthyroid

sarahbera1
01-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I am having medical issues with one of my cats. Tigger is 12 1/2 and was dianosed with Diabetes a few months ago. I was just getting in a routine of monitoring his blood glucose, his diet and injecting his insulin. Then the weekend of Christmas I brought him to the emergency vet as his breathing was labored. He stayed overnight and had numerous tests (blood work, x-ray, ultrasound), he has been diagnosed with heart disease and was in heart failure at the time of that visit. They had to tap his chest 2x to remove the fluid that was around his lungs. So now he is on meds for that and I just found out that he is hyperthyroid. He probably only has 6 months or so. I have to monitor his respiratory rate everyday. He just lays around alot, but when I touch him to check his breathing he purrs (so I guess that is a good sign). Needless to say I am devestated at this news. Tigger is my baby. I had him before my children. This past year has not been great for me and my animals. First Darla is diagnosed with Cushings Disease, then Rascal is diagnosed, Rascal has surgery to remove his left adrenal gland (and is "cured"). Darla's tumor was on her right adrenal gland and thus was too difficult to operate. Tried more meds and different procedures, no luck. She was put down in Sept. Soon after that I was able to focus my energy on Tigger who I noticed was loosing weight...and now here we are. I know I'm complaining, but you guys are a great "cyber" ear to listen and shoulder to cry on. I don't know how I'm going to be able to make that awful decision when it is time. I practically cry everyday now just thinking about it. It's not like I can even play with him or watch him enjoy the last few months of being a cat, as he just pretty much sits there (unless it is meal time, then he is up..I guess that is a good sign too). Well that is enough of "poor me". I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and happy new year.

Sarah & Tigger

Squirt's Mom
01-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi Sarah,

Good to hear from you again but wish it was under better circumstances. I am so sorry to hear about Tigger. :( It has been a tough year for you, hasn't it?

I wish I knew some bits of knowledge to pass along but sadly I don't. One of my cats lived to be 21, healthy, other than being deaf, until the last few months of his life. He, too, started to waste away but the vet said it was just his exceptional old age taking it's toll. He had a good life and enjoyed it up until the last week or so and then he just sorta isolated inside himself, stopped eating, and I had to let him go. Cats live such a full life, I simply couldn't see him being that way any longer. "The decision" for our beloved pets is very difficult to make, as you well know, but at times we have to take that most horrible step for them.

Enjoy Tigger for as long as you can and as long as he enjoys it. Do all you can to make him comfortable, as I know you already are.

Keep your chin up, honey.
Hugs,
Leslie and the girls - always

PS. How is Rascal doing these days?

Carol G
01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Sarah,

I'm so sorry to hear about Tigger's health problems. I understand how hard this is for you.

I think that Tigger purrs and eats well are both very good signs.

Carol & Atty Cat

Harley PoMMom
01-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Sarah,

I am so sorry to hear about Tigger, and I don't know if this will help or not but Taurine is a very good supplement for cats with ill hearts.

Here is a link if your interested:
http://petcarenaturally.com/book_health_bible.php

Will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
Lori

k9diabetes
01-08-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Tigger... Natalie