PDA

View Full Version : Phoebe Update

BestBuddy
01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Phoebe is eating her special prescription food well and is doing pretty good.

No seizures since 3rd November.

We are now addressing some of her other issues, she is wearing a dap collar and we have a dap diffuser in the bedroom to help calm her and stop her obsessing when she isn't with me. Not sure whether this will do any good but worth a try, will update on this in a few weeks.

The vet has finally decided that anipryl may be worth a try for the dementia but we had a struggle to get it and have had to go with the human form "Selgene". They only come in 5mg tablets so we are halving them and she is taking 2.5mg per evening. They are tiny little tablets so it isn't easy to cut and we only started them last night so it could be some time before we see any results. It isn't as expensive as I thought because even though it cost $54 it was for100 tablets so the cost per day is only around 27cents.

Wish us luck.

Jenny

littleone1
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi Jenny,

I'm glad to hear that Phoebe hasn't had any seizures since the beginning of November. I do wish you luck and hope that everything goes well.

frijole
01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Thinking of you and Phoebe and sending best wishes! Do keep us posted on how it is going. Kim

forscooter
01-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Jenny..

Always sending all our best for you all!!! I hope this helps Phoebe and things start turning around!!!

Lots of love and hugs, Beth

Franklin'sMum
01-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi Jenny,

Hoping Phoebe improves, and sending good luck thoughts and prayers your way.

Jane and the gang xxx
________
Depakote Lawsuit Information (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/depakote/)

Dollydog
01-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi Jenny,
Thanks for the update....sending good wishes and prayers that these new things will give you more quality time with Phoebe,
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel :)

Harley PoMMom
01-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi Jenny,

I do believe with the Selgene it does take a little while to work but from what I've read, it does work.

I too, am sending soothing and calming energy your way for Phoebe and keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
Lori

lulusmom
01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Jenny, you can always count on me for plenty of prayers and positive thoughts. If that's not enough, we've got fingers and paws crossed hoping that the Selgene makes a difference for your baby girl.

Squirt's Mom
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Jenny,

You know I'm a believer of Anipryl and am behind you all the way with Pheobe. When I gave it to Rube, even a very small dose seemed to help a bit right off. Of course, it could have been wishful thinking, but she really didn't seem to get as lost or spacey. If the dose had been higher, I think we would have seen more improvement in her cognition. Don't get discouraged, let the drug have the time it needs to work, and if wishful thinking helps, by all means indulge. :D

Prayers, hugs, and love sent to you both,
Leslie

Carol G
01-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Good thoughts coming from here too.

Carol & Atty Cat and always Winnie & McGill

labblab
01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
And more positive thoughts coming from me, too!!

Marianne

Roxee's Dad
01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Hey Marianne,
You know you can count me in too. Prayers, good thoughts, positive vibes all coming your way. Have the others (Luke and Joey) learned to respect her yet?

gpgscott
01-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi Jen,

First I have heard of a dap collar. It sounds like a very good thing, as dogs are directed by scent.

I think Anipryl or whatever other designation it goes by might have some merit. I am glad you have looked into it and are trying it.

Hugs, prayers, and best wishes to you all.

Scott

AlisonandMia
01-07-2010, 06:47 PM
SAM-e is meant to help with doggy dementia too. I'll dig out the reference.

Ok - here's something, not the reference I was after but it might actually be better (it's one of those "round table discussions"): http://www.virbacvet.com/images/resources/other/Novifit_Round_Table.pdf

Alison

BestBuddy
01-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I take sam e for arthritis and also the liver cleansing properties and if I knew about it helping CCD then I forgot it. Does that mean it doesn't work and I still have doggie dementia?:p

I will look into this a little more. Day two of the Selgene and no good or bad changes noticed so more waiting.

Jenny

k9diabetes
01-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Sending good wishes for Phoebe...

Natalie

BestBuddy
01-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Phoebe has been doing really well. The Selgene (Anipryl) may be the reason but whatever it is things are improving. She has just about stopped the manic circling and mostly walks in straight lines, she still paces and wanders but it seems less intense. She even seems like she is more responsive and aware of her surroundings.

Just before we started the Selgene I noticed a pimple like lump on her lower abdomen. In the last 3 weeks it has grown to about 1 1/2cm and after much discussion with hubby we decided that it wasn't causing her any pain and we weren't planning to do any invasive procedures regardless that it would be best left alone.

Well, that plan didn't work and I am not sure whether it was bumped or she chewed at it but it started to bleed and look quite weepy so off to the vet.

The vet thinks it is a squamous cell carcinoma and said it needs to come off so on Monday she goes in for surgery. The anesthetic scares the heck out of me but the vet feels that if we leave it any longer it will be too big to remove and it is growing fast.

She will be having a combo of drugs to sedate her that are all very mild and light so we have great hopes of a good outcome. I don't think we will be having the mass sent off for testing because there will be nothing further we can do and the hope is that it will not grow back or not for a long time and as she has just turned 18 and time is something we do not have much of regardless.

Please send those good wishes and prayers for Phoebe's surgery on Monday and keep all those body parts crossed because I really am not ready to let her go yet.

Jenny

labblab
01-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Oh Jen, every crossable part of me and my girls will be in action on Monday!! I know this will be a difficult weekend of "waiting." So tons of positive thoughts are being beamed your way...

Marianne

gpgscott
01-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi Jen,

I am hoping the Drs. early intervention helps make this a bump in the road.

Count me in on many who are praying for you all.

Scott

littleone1
01-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi Jenny,

Corky and I have our paws and fingers crossed hoping that Phoebe's surgery will go well. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

I know I was afraid when Corky had to have anesthesia to have his teeth extracted and the masses removed in his mouth. Everything went very well.

We're also sending positive and healing thoughts your way.

sunimist
01-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Same here Jen! Lots of love included too!

Shelba and Suni

Carol G
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Positive thoughts from here too.

Carol & Atty Cat

Harley PoMMom
01-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Please send those good wishes and prayers for Phoebe's surgery on Monday and keep all those body parts crossed because I really am not ready to let her go yet.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Every body part imaginable, whether four-legged or two, that can be crossed will be and you and Phoebe will also be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending tons of positive and calming energy your way too.

With much love and (((hugs)))
Lori

Roxee's Dad
01-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi Jenny,
Sending good wishes and prayers for Phoebe's surgery and quick recovery.

frijole
01-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Continued wishes and hugs sent from here as well Jen. Kim

zoesmom
01-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Jenny -

With all the positive thoughts and vibes coming Phoebe's way, she should do just fine. Keeping you in our prayers, too. Sue

Dollydog
01-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Jenny,
Sending lots of prayers and love from here too...hope everything goes as smooth as glass for you both. She's such an amazing little dog!!
Take care,

Franklin'sMum
01-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Hey Jenny,

Sending positive thoughts and prayers from here too. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Phoebe.

Lots of love,
Jane and the gang xxx
________
Streaming Fuck (http://www.fucktube.com/)

labblab
01-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Everything's crossed that can be crossed!!! I'm so hoping that all goes well for Phoebe today. Let us know when you are able, Jen.

Tons of healing (((hugs))) being sent across the miles,
Marianne

Squirt's Mom
01-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Holding you both in my thoughts today for a wonderful outcome! All cross-able things crossed - twice!

Hugs,
Leslie

BestBuddy
01-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Phoebe did really well.

She was operated on after lunch yesterday and was allowed home around 4.30. She was a bit sleepy but quite alert. She didn't feel like anything to eat last night and has only eaten a small amount this morning but that will improve through the day I hope.

I was working so hubby collected her and I didn't get to see the lump. They have it in a jar with formalin waiting for whether I want it sent off to pathology. I am not going to get it tested because there is nothing I more I will put her through but I do want to see it.:eek:

The cut is about 6-7cm (2.5 inches I think) long and she will not stay still enough for me to count the stitches. It doesn't sound much but at 3.4kg (7.4 lbs) it looks enormous.

Thanks all for the kind words and thoughts.

Jenny

gpgscott
01-25-2010, 05:38 PM
I am certain also that she will improve in appetiete and otherwise Jen as the surgery passes.

I get the part about no path.

Hoping this is the end of the issue for Phoebe

Sending you hugs and prayers.

Scott

littleone1
01-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Hi Jenny,

I'm glad Phoebe's surgery went well.

I'm sending healing thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

frijole
01-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Wow... poor baby! Glad all is well now. You really wanna see that thing?! OH MY. :eek:

labblab
01-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Thank goodness it's over and done with! Thanks so much for the update, Jen. And please give Phoebe some special lovin' on behalf of all her aunties and uncles here.

Marianne

lulusmom
01-26-2010, 12:36 AM
I can't believe I missed all of this. I guess I'm kinda glad that I did cuz now it's over and I won't have to worry. Way to go, Phoebe!!

mytil
01-26-2010, 05:37 AM
I am so very glad to hear this Jen.

(((hugs))) to you both.

T.

Squirt's Mom
01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi Jenny,

So glad it is over and that sweet Phoebe is home with you again. :D She's got to feel better with that big ole thing out and I guarantee you she doesn't care one whit what it was, just that it's no longer bothering her. ;) By day's end, I bet she is more than happy to eat well, too.

Hugs and belly rubs from us,
Leslie and the girls - always

Harley PoMMom
01-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Jenny,

So glad the surgery is over and Phoebe is home.

And I totally understand about not wanting to put her through more.

Sending healing thoughts and well wishes your way for sweet Phoebe.

Love and (((hugs))),
Lori

Franklin'sMum
01-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Hey Jenny,

So happy to hear that Phoebe's surgery was a success :D:D. Hoping for a speedy recovery for her.
Love and hugs to Phoebe (and her mum and dad too)

Jane and Franklin xx
________
LovelyWendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

BestBuddy
01-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Phoebe is still doing well although she seems a little tired and is not as interested in her food as normal. She is eating canned kd and obviously it doesn't smell enticing so I have sprinkled a little Parmesan on it and she will at least have a go at it. I hope the parmesan isn't doing her any harm, it is only a little bit.

And yes I did have a look at the lump.:eek: It was quite solid looking and was about the size of a small walnut, only half of it visible on the outside and the rest under the skin. Hopefully they got it all and it won't appear again.

Jenny

k9diabetes
01-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Good grief Jenny!! I missed all of this. I'm so sorry about that.

What a relief that Phoebe came through it all okay. She is one tough little girl.

Glad to hear that the anipryl seems to have helped her also.

Natalie

Dollydog
01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Hello,
So glad to hear it's all done and she's home and eating. That's great news and I'm sure the anaethestic is harder to recover from at her age.
Hugs,