PDA

View Full Version : Sick Kitty???

forscooter
01-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi all....I have a kitty question bc I have noooooo idea about cats!!! Allo started with this little sneeze about a week ago, maybe less. I have cat snot all over my windows to prove it. He is eating OK, and I added wet food in today as an attempt to increase his water intake and also ice cubes in his water bowl bc he loves them. He is acting OK, sleeping a bit more and staying to himself more than usual, which I don't blame him bc the minute he surfaces Pallie thinks it is playtime.

I was trimming his nails and noticed the very slightest of a wheeze. He has no other symptoms.....I can call the vet tomorrow but getting him there is a problem right now unless it is an emergency. I can't carry him just yet in his carrier.:(

I am reading different things. One says not to worry and don't go to the vet bc he can pick up something else....others say call the vet....try meds...etc....

I also don't get it bc he is an indoor cat and there are no other cats he is around to catch this.

Should I worry....or just keep monitoring? I don't want him neglected just bc I am laid up at the moment....any thoughts???

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! A very ignorant about kitties Beth

littleone1
01-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi Beth,

I don't know anything about cats, either. Is it possible that Allo might have developed an allergy to something? Even though Allo is an indoor cat, depending on the season, pollution in the air, using something different in the house, etc., allergies can surface.

Terri

gpgscott
01-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi Beth,

See the Dr.

Cat's are prone to upper repiratory issues and they are easy to treat early on.

A cat should not sneeze repeatedly.

Hugs to you, Allo, and Bailey.

Scott

eta Opps, and Pallie also :)

forscooter
01-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks, Terri! I'm not sure...I have to think about that...that is very possible though! Thank you!!! If God gave me another little furball with allergies after what I went through with Scoobie, I may be bald tomorrow! I did change the kitchen cleaner bc I just had granite counters put in....I switched a lot of cleaning to steam bc of my experience with Scooter and Pallie being so little....I have to think what else may be different....I will go on the hunt and inspect things because maybe I am missing something....hhhmmmmmmmm.....

Thanks a bunch! Hugs!!! Beth, and Allo too!

forscooter
01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
We cross-posted Scott...OK, I will call tomorrow. He sneezes everytime he wakes up and then in between....he looks OK around the eyes and his nose is all wet and moist, nothing runny, no crusts....but the little wheeze concerned me and the increased sneezing...I hope they can do something by phone....otherwise, I need to find some help to get there....there is no way I can carry him just yet. But get him there I will if need be....the last thing I want is him getting any sicker! Poor Allo!!!!!

Thanks again!!! Lots of hugs! Me and Allo

gpgscott
01-05-2010, 08:03 PM
If they have seen him previously they may be willing to admin a broad spectrum antibiotic over the phone, but I doubt it.

You need to find a way to transport him, the first time will no doubt be the worst, but I bet you both figure it out.

Best to you all.

Scott

forscooter
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
They have seen him before and they usually will let me describe things. But yes, they may want to listen to him themselves.

It isn't that I am afraid to take him or anything like that. I have a carrier and transported him alone before. But I just had surgery and am on very restrictive lifting restrictions for the next 6 weeks more....so it isn't for a lack of willingness....it is a lack of can-ness....:(

And Bailey and Pallie thank you too!:)

Hugs! Beth

SasAndYunah
01-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Hi Beth,

It sounds like Allo could have the Cat Flu, wich can be either a viral or a bacterial infection. The fact that Pallie is strictly an indoor cat can cause some false sense of security since Cat Flu (but also other diseases) can also be transmitted through clothes, hands, shoes, baskets, etc.

Another thing about cats, they are even greater masters of hiding pain and/or feeling sick then dogs are. So, by the time you do notice a change (however little) like sleeping more or keeping more to himself, you can bet he is not feeling well.

Do you have a thermometer? You could check Allo's temp and that would give you a clue. A cat's normal temp should be between 100.5 and 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. But like Scott said as well, a cat with respiratory problems (sneezing, coughing, snot, etc) should be seen by a vet. Is there anyone like a neighbour who could carry Allo (in the carrier) in your car? I think a vettech (or other visitor) would be nice enough to carry him out your car when you are at the office :)

Best of luck to you and Allo,

Saskia and Yunah :)

MiniSchnauzerMom
01-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Beth,

I'm in the "go to the vet" group. Kitty sneezing and wheezing isn't normal.

Just a thought....I don't know how far away your vet is or if you're up to the extra expense, but is it feasible to take a cab and have the cab driver tote Allo in his carrier from your house to the cab and then from the cab into the vet's office???

Louise

clydetheboosmom
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Hey Beth -

I have four cats. Always had cats, my whole life.

They are very prone to URI, and they can be serious. You should take him to the vet. Also, after antibiotics are started, you can put him in the bathroom with you when you take a shower or hot bath and let the steam help clear him out.

Good luck :)

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

Harley PoMMom
01-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Beth,

Sorry for posting so late...I'm at work...now this next question is kinda gross but what if anything is in the snot that is coming out of Allo's nose? What I mean, is the snot green in color, does it have any blood in it, is it a thick discharge? If there is a yes to any one of these questions than an antibiotic is needed.

Keeping you and Allo in my thoughts and prayers and please keep us updated.

Love and hugs,
Lori

forscooter
01-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi everyone!!

Thank you so much for your advice and input!! Allo and I much appreciate it! I just got in from my post-op visit and am having a complication from the surgery so I am not feeling so spiffy...why do they have to poke around after such a thing? Not so comfy...

But Allo woke up this morning a little brighter, ate some, drank some and went back to bed....which is his normal routine. The snot doesn't seem to be any color and I don't see anything actually coming out of his nose. It's more splattered on my window and dries whitish. Sorry for the description!!! He sneezed about three times before I left though.

I did just now call the vet and my usual vet is in....I asked for him to call me back. I would like to talk to him first and if he wants him in, I will find a way to do that somehow. A friend offered to take him if he needs to go and she will leave a little early from work. I was hoping we could try an antibiotic for 48 hours and monitor him....I can also have that picked up. He isn't eating great but he did eat most of the moist food....and he did eat some of the dry. He was up rubbing my legs this morning and meowing and walking the house....and his face just seemed brighter. But I know he is still not well.

I won't let him suffer or get any sicker on my account...and the cab may be possible bc I know someone who works there too. I didn't think of that as an option though myself, Louise, I think the brain is still under anesthesia!!!! Blonde hair, hormones, surgery....not a good combo! :cool:

But I will keep you posted and figure something out for him....after all the furballs do come first! Always! I also know cats can get dehydrated from what I read from a cold and am watching his urine output closely....that also seems a little down....not much but a little. So, I am snuggling him as much as he lets me and waiting for a call back right now....I will let you know what happens.

Thanks so much!!!!!! Much love and many hugs! Beth and Allo and Bailey and Pallie.....and the dust bunnies that seem to be moving in too

Harley PoMMom
01-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi Beth,

I am sorry and worried that you are having these issues after your surgery. :(

You may want to ask your vet about "LITTLE NOSES"

LITTLE NOSES is great for my cats and dogs.
Clears congestion when humidity and saline drops are not strong enough.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Little_Noses_Pediatric_Formula_Decongestant_Nose_D rops_For_Infants_Children_0_5_Fl_Oz/content_452853534340

I have used this product on my cats, or should I say in my cats and it does work.

Keeping you and Allo in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
Lori

forscooter
01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Great, Lori!!! Thank you...I definitely will!!! OK, how the heck do you get them up a cat's nose though? LOL, is this going to be a battle of the wills? I remember giving cats pills stories from the old board, lol....but my son can hold him while I insert the drops.....this would be great...I will ask for sure!

And thank you.....I learned a while ago to take each thing in stride one issue at a time....if anyone was going to have post-surgical issues it would be me...I just keep rolling with the punches...what else can you do? The last two years have been that way and I just keep trying to hum my dad's song in my head and move along....and laugh....bc I hate crying bc then my head gets all congested!

Love and hugs! Beth and the furs

forscooter
01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Just got off the phone with the vet....and he thinks it sounds like a URI but is concerned about the wheeze. He is ordering amoxicillin twice/day for ten days and told me to also give him some plain yogurt for his GI while he is on the antibiotic. He told me how to make saline drops for his nose and would rather stick with the plain saline to keep the tissues moist. If he goes off food, I need to call and get him in. If in ten days, he is no better, he is also considering the possibility of asthma bc of the wheeze I heard. But asthma requires steroids (bad word!!!!) and he doesn't want to risk if he does have an infection putting him on those until we try and clear up any other infection. If he gets worse, I will bring him in pronto! But he thinks it is worth trying this first....

I hope this works!!!! Poor little (big) Allo!!!

Tons of thanks!!!!!! Beth

Harley PoMMom
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Oh, yes it is a battle, but they are made for infants so even if you can get just the smallest amount up Allo's nose it will work/help. Now you don't have to put Allo on his back or anything like that, what I did was just hold the Little Nose container in front of my cats nose and sprayed (I placed something over their eyes (towel) for protection).
The hole is very, very small on the Little Nose container.

You definitely have been thru alot, my friend, and I hope and pray that you are feeling better soon.

With much love and big, big hugs,
Lori

forscooter
01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Slight change in plan and diagnosis....I am soooo blonde and hormonal and mortified I could even forget such a thing!!! But thankfully it came back to me through one of my synapses...

I called the vet back. In the middle of the night, Allo had a horrible attack. At first I thought he was going to vomit, and then I thought it was a hairball....and then I thought I have never seen a hairball come up though....and then I got to thinking about some of the wheezing and coughing I have seen just every here and there since I have had him...and other times I thought it was a hairball without the hairball...I watched a video on youtube, did some more reading, more watching, more reading....

sooo..I called the vet as I said and I really think Allo has asthma. He looks exactly like those cats in the videos and he has the symptoms. I offered to bring Allo in but the vet said I have always relayed symptoms well and he is also concerned about my health so he is adding on prednisone while he takes the antibiotics. He wants the antibiotics on board in case he does have a germ bc the pred will lower his immunity to any germs...and I am to call him in 10-14 days and we will discuss the plan and a plan to have him further evaluated.

I feel so stupid bc how could I forget something that almost scared me half to death last night like that....and then I also HATE the idea of pred bc we all know I will end up with a CushCat! But until I can get him in I have to do something bc I would die if he choked to death. So, I am doing more reading, learning about cat inhalers, herbals, and such so I can discuss this more once I can get there.

So, that's the revised plan and tentative diagnosis....where are those margaritas??????????????????????????????????

Love and hugs, Beth

littleone1
01-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi Beth,

I hope Allo starts feeling better soon. I'm glad you didn't have to worry about getting him in to see the vet.

I'm so sorry that you are having issues after your surgery. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. Don't worry about having a senior moment. I have them all of the time.:)

Take care.

Carol G
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Beth,

Couple of things.

My understanding is that cats don't get side effects from pred to the degree that dogs do. So, while it is a worry it is less of a worry.

With the pred, I'd recommend putting it in an empty capsule (I got them at the drug store but maybe your vet can send you some) or a pill pocket if Allo will do that as pred tastes so vile. Also I've been using a piller (pill plunger) for Atty and that has been great. With cats, you want to give them a little water after the pills/capsules as they produce less spit or something and need the water. I use a syringe or eye dropper.

I found this video on pilling very helpful.

http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/Cat-Pilling/Entire-Video

Good thoughts coming from here for all of you,

Carol & Atty Cat

forscooter
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks, Terri and Carol!!! And Carol, that video was very helpful...thank you so much for posting that. I guess we did OK for the first time....I gave the pred first while my son held him.....followed with the amox bc it is liquid so I thought it would help. He now has pink on his ear and his jaw :cool: but most of it went down his tummy. I followed with treats, moist food with yogurt mixed in and some water (mixed ice cubes in water bc he loves them and that makes him drink a little)....Now, I just have to do this for forever......:eek::eek::eek:

I did do some more reading and it looks like the biggest complication could be diabetes if anything. I am going to ask the vet when I can get there in a few weeks about using a long-term injection since he wasn't so keen on the inhalers. I also want something in the house for an emergency for an attack. I do have an albuterol inhaler in the house and will ask about using that in the meantime if this should happen again like last night and the pred doesn't hold him....

We ended with a big huge snuggle until he gave me the "Oh yeah, wait, I am a cat and out of here!" look! He loves it though....he just can't blow his rep!

Thanks so much for the support!!!! I feel like Deb...."a medically needy animal magnet"! But, as with the other two, I will get through this too....especially with all of you!!!:)

Love and lots of hugs! Beth and the not too damaged Allo

and Bailey and Pallie say "hi" too! They were just happy it wasn't them!

gpgscott
01-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Beth,

My understanding is that cats don't get side effects from pred to the degree that dogs do. So, while it is a worry it is less of a worry.

http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/Cat-Pilling/Entire-Video

Good thoughts coming from here for all of you,

Carol & Atty Cat

Carol is very right,

For some reason cats can tolerate large doses of pred, chronically, for long periods of time.

I treated one with pred for a few months. The way I did it was to put the pred in butter and then strip most of the cotton from a Q-Tip and adhere the pill with butter and refridge it.

You put the cat upside down, press the jaw on both sides and when the mouth opens (it will!) you put the paper stick with the pill on the end in the mouth, and then close the mouth.

Do not!, try to admin pred from the bottle. It tastes like s??? really not nice.

Scott

By the way I have not tasted s??? (that I am aware of) but I can assure you Allo will not tolerate pred.

Scott

forscooter
01-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Scott,

I did the butter and tried to figure out the upside down part....I had my son hold him...but how do you hold him/them upside down?

I also read that they can get depressed on pred and withdrawn until the get used to the pred....have you guys ever seen that?

I am asking bc he is so withdrawn today....more lethargic...when I bring him out with me, he perks up and will eat small amounts of moist food, even gave him tuna water and regular water....he only used the litterbox twice today....

Tomorrow night marks 48 hours of antibiotics....if he gets the tiniest bit worse or no better by tomorrow night, I am taking him in....no matter what. Pallie sprawled herself along his front legs and stuck her nose in his ear and he just looked at her like "get off of me" but didn't get up. Although he doesn't always move when she does that...

So my plan is to get through the night if we can, I do have an ER vet within 15 minutes if I need to bolt at any second and I will if I have to carry him myself bc I can't stand seeing any of them sick...and we all know I have the worrying thing down pat!

On top of it, Bailey was up last night all night and then vomited at 4am...refused any treats or food so I was on the floor shoving pred down his throat this morning. He seems better but I have had to do this more and more...and his fine head tremors are getting more pronounced. He also is jumping out of his skin while sleeping.:(:(:(

So, never mind the post-surgical fatigue, I am ready to just sit and cry from not sleeping from either of them last night and still having problems myself....:( and all this sickness....and I am useless....

OK, I will stop whining now....I just wish I could do more!

Love and hugs, Beth

PS...I hope you haven't tasted s* but Baby Pallie seems to have taken a liking to it!

littleone1
01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi Beth,

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you , Allo and Bailey. I wish that there was something that I could do. I know that all of our babies come first, but you also need to take care of yourself in order to be able to help them.

Please take care. Sending healing thoughts for all of you.

k9diabetes
01-08-2010, 01:06 AM
My cat Gus has IBD shading into lymphoma. He was been on pred (as prednisolone) for over a year now and is doing fine on it.

He weighs 11 pounds and has been getting 5mg anywhere from once every other day to twice a day. When he's on it twice a day, he tends to look a little Cushinoid. His hair doesn't grow back and his skull gets a little bony looking. When I cut it back to once a day, that goes away.

We use the clear capsules - I put the pred in the capsule to cover the taste and then wrap the capsule in some salmon cream cheese. I make it into a ball or blob and then just barely rest it on a dish. When I do that, Gus takes a swipe at it with his tongue and picks up the whole thing. With the clear gel cap, he doesn't taste anything but cream cheese.

Natalie

forscooter
01-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Thank you, Terri and Natalie!

Where can I buy gelcaps? Online or the pharmacy sells them?

I think we turned a corner and I think things got worse before better. I had a tentative plan to take Allo in today if need be but I think he is starting to get a leg up on this thing. His eating, urinating and socializing are all much better today....still sneezing but not as much....he is following me around more than usual even but his eyes are brighter and he is just more himself. I am SOSOSOSOSO happy for even the slightest step in the right direction!

He still has a way to go with the antibiotic, and will stay on the pred until we get to the dr....but I learned with the boys to be glad for any change that is the right change!

So, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Love and hugs and happy smiles.....Beth and Allo

Oh and I thought I would post the videos I saw about the asthma in case it may help someone else....this is exactly what he looks like when I thought it was a hairball...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkebV2tv_cs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG5vBaT21_c

Harley PoMMom
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM
If you find that the pill is announcing itself through the bread or other coverings, we have started using empty gelatin capsules purchased online to put my cat's pills in.

They come in a lot of different sizes so even if it has to be a big one, you might be able to find a capsule that can cover up the pill. The capsule blocks the taste and the smell so my cat doesn't notice there's a pill inside of it.

My cat has one round pill that doesn't quite fit in the capsule but I crack the side of the capsule and stuff the pill down into the capsule so that it covers most of the pill. I don't think this would work for his pred as that is the really bad tasting one. I'd have to get a bigger capsule to be sure to cover the pred all the way if the pill was bigger. But this round pill is not all that obnoxious and the half capsule covers it enough to keep it from dissolving into the cream cheese.

He took his pills in just cream cheese for a long time but after a couple of times of his finding the pill in there, he started turning his nose up at the cream cheese altogether. So the capsules have worked perfectly for him.

I got mine at www.capsuline.com (http://www.capsuline.com).

Natalie

Love ya,
Lori

forscooter
01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Aaaaah....thank you, Lori!!!

Love ya back! Beth

littleone1
01-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi Beth,

I watched the videos. OMG! No wonder you were so worried about Allo! I'm so glad to hear that he is starting to improve. That has to help you feel more relieved.

I hope you're also feeling better today.

I'm keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Carol G
01-08-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm so happy to hear you are seeing some improvement.

I got the larger capsules at a health food store in the vitamin & supplement section.

I wanted some smaller ones and the only place in-store I could find them was at a pharmacy that is located in a medical office building. They didn't have an unopened package to sell me but the pharmacist ordered them and gave me a few to get me by until the order came in.

Carol & Atty Cat

k9diabetes
01-08-2010, 07:26 PM
I first got the capsules from the vet, which came in bags of 100 and were quite expensive.

I got 1,000 No. 4 capsules (fairly small) from Capsuline for $17 and free shipping. I may never have to buy them again with that many on hand.

Natalie

AlisonandMia
01-08-2010, 07:49 PM
When my daughter has to take pred for her asthma she always puts the pills in capsules. She is a real wimp! In fact she puts anything remotely nasty tasting in capsules.

One thing that does really help (to a miraculous degree) with taking bitterness away (at least in humans) is salt so giving the dose with something salty, or giving a salty chaser of some kind straight after could help - of course being careful about overall salt consumption - and checking with the vet first. Too much salt could actually be an issue while on pred (fluid retention), I think.

Pred may not be the most bitter substance on the planet but it has got to be one of them; I've tried it and the bitterness stayed on my tongue (about 10 minutes) until I finally used salt to take it away - yuk!

Hopefully the little guy won't need it for too long.

Hope he's not allergic to humans! My daughter is allergic to cats although she loves them.

Alison

forscooter
01-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Well...you know how they seem to hear us when we report something good?????? Yep....they do.

A few hours ago Allo was sleeping on my bed...totally at rest and I went in to pet and cuddle him. I noticed his breathing was rapid and shallow and so I began to count. Got to 42ish/minute and I could hear it. Tracked down my son and ran to the vet....

The diagnosis is confirmed.....asthma with a probable secondary infection. They did a chest x-ray, saw thickened bronchial tubes and the "donuts" and he is wheezing...so, his prednisone has been increased to twice/day through the weekend and he got a shot of something with a "t" I can't even pronounce right yet. I am just getting home now so my brain is still spinning. If he has another attack like the other night or his gums are white or blue, I need to get his to the ER vet right away. She said he appears stable for now though. And to go if his eating decreases again.

I have to call on Monday bc they will probably decrease the pred at some point and then wean eventually...but we will always need pred in the house....in this house??? Done.

I was supposed to go to NYC tomorrow but she said to see how he is tomorrow. I am not sure I want to be that far away in case he has an emergency. I can't even think about that right now.

I told them my next pets will be stuffed goldfish!

So, please keep Allo in your prayers....I pray that he doesn't have an attack like the other night. I feel so helpless when he gets like that.

He is chowing down on some moist food right now, and weighed in at 19.5 pounds...but he is a big boy anyway.

I think I need some Motrin...but I wanted to let you all know I did get him to the vet and things are confirmed and we have a plan...and WHERE IS THE BLENDER??????????????

Lots of love and hugs, Beth and Allo

and Bailey and Pallie and always Scoobie

and thank you thank you for the advice with giving the pred!!! I did find the website and will order the caps and in the meantime check my local stores until they come!!! Love you guys!!!

Harley PoMMom
01-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Will definitely be keeping you and Allo in my thoughts and prayers.

Big Hugs to you, Beth.

Sending tons of healing and soothing vibes and energy to Allo...get better, handsome Allo.

With much love and more hugs,
Lori

littleone1
01-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I will definitely keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers, Beth.

I hope the Pred does help. It's so hard when they get sick. I know we feel so helpless at times.

Take care. I hope you found the blender!:)

BestBuddy
01-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Sorry about your kitty.

I have no suggestions because I am feline impaired. (I think that's the PC way to put it):D

Jenny

SasAndYunah
01-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Hi Beth,

sorry to hear that Allo was confirmed as having asthma. I just want to point out to you that these days cats can be treated with inhalers, just as humans. I'm not sure what this thing is called in English but there's a device, a "chamber" that you can spray the inhalant in and on the other end, you place a "mask" that covers the cats nose and mouth. The cat can breath through that mask, inhaling the medication. Steroids given this way will only enter in the airways and thus do not give any of the side effects in other organs like oral steroids can. Also, in case of an attack and acute distress, a bronchodilator inhalent will work a lot faster than oral medication (albuterol for example)

I would definately ask your vet about treating Allo's asthma with inhalers instead of oral medication. It's more effective and less stressfull for the cat...

Good luck!

Saskia and Yunah.

forscooter
01-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Jenny, I am too!!!

Thank you all so much! We didn't have a great night and I think I barely slept at all. Allo woke me at 1am wheezing away even with the shot. He started the twice/day pred today so I am hoping that will help show some improvement.

I am going out today to pick up some air purifiers and hypoallergenic kitty litter...and then look at his food again and see if we need a change there. From what I read, I need to change the "biggies" bc finding allergy triggers in cats is difficult. So they recommend changing the big things and controlling symptoms from there. So, my boyfriend is coming to help me get some supplies and we can keep an eye on Allo.

Saskia, thank you so much for the information! I appreciate your help! I did ask about an inhaler and saw where they have a thing called Aerokat....I even asked about using my son's inhaler in an emergency. But the answer I got from both vets was they feel the oral is much more effective and they rarely see any side effects in cats. If he gets into an emergent situation they want him in the hospital. The hope is to be able to wean him off once this episode subsides and then use the pred as I see symptoms return. They have had cats with severe asthma managed this way bc some of them have gone years between attacks....even their worst cases. So the plan is to use the pred only when and as needed and then if not well-controlled and if he has much more frequent symptoms, move on to other meds and possibly add an inhaler on if the oral doesn't hold him. I did some reading yesterday and last night and there seems to be conflicting information....I did read where the inhaled steroids do produce less side effects but then these vets also wrote papers that mentioned the oral steroids are usually most effective. Sooo....I am in a quandary right now but will follow the plan until I can discuss this more and talk to them some more.

He seems content right now but like a child, he seems to get worse as the day progresses....well, I guess we all do when we are sick...

Thanks so very very much and I think Louise permanently stole that blender!!!!

I need a nap and then off to go Allo shopping......what price happiness??? (hopefully cheap)))))

Love ya! Beth

littleone1
01-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Beth,

I hope things start to improve for you and Allo. I hope you will be able to get some sleep today.

You'll really have to get on Louise if she permanently stole the blender!:D

Dollydog
01-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi Beth,
I'm really sorry to hear of another medically needy pet at your place....I wish you could have had a break from all of this for awhile, especially right now. I hope Allo is easy to take care of once all of this gets regulated. I'm no help as none of our cats were ever asthmatic.
Will keep healing prayers coming your way.
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel :)

PS: You could skip the blender and just buy the pre-mixed marguerita's.;)

SasAndYunah
01-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi beth :)

Let me try and explain why I disagree with your vet(s) about their recommended treatment. As far as I can tell, they want to medicate only when Allo is symptomatic? In humans but also in felines, even when not symptomatic, the airways are in a state of inflammation. So the goal of treatment should not be to treat the acute distress during an attack but to prevent these attacks from happening. (That's where I obviously differ from opinion with your vets :) )

It's the actual attacks, the acute distress that will cause long term damage and will make the asthma become worse over the years. And that's what you want to prevent. It's pretty standard these days to treat everyone (human or animal) with a daily low dose of inhalant steroids. When steroids are inhaled, they do cause so much less risks for side effects. The only way I can imagine a vet saying that oral steroids would be prefered or better working, is during the acute fase. In that case, yes, oral steroids are prefered. But apart from that, it's normal procedure to give a daily maintenance dose of steroids to pevent (as much as possible) the flare ups. I also haven't read if Allo currently is being treated with a bronchodilator? During periods of more coughing, wheezing, they are also standard medication and can be used as needed. (even a very slight thickening of the bronchial walls can cause a lot of breathing difficulties therefore even slightly more openend bronchi can cause a huge amount of relief in breathing).

The approach of you vets is, with all due respect, rather old fashioned. And sure, it has worked well in the past, since it was all there was available. But nowadays, opinions on treating feline asthma have changed and shifted much more toward prevention (as it is with humans as well) instead of waiting for the next attack and then treat the attack.

I am suffering from asthma myself for over 40 years now, I know how this stuff works :) I am on maintenance daily steroids for many many years now through inhalation which has decreased the amount of acute distress and attacks enormously. Only when I get an airway infection I use oral steroids and then I get all puffy and thirsty...:D A lifelong of low dose maintenance inhalant steroids is less harmfull to the entire body and much more healthier for my lungs, then not using the low dose and wait for acute attacks and having to be on high dose oral steroids :) And human and feline asthma are very closely related, very simular...

forscooter
01-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Thank you Terri, Jo-Ann and Saskia!!

I think I may have been so tired this morning, I didn't explain myself well Saskia and I'm sorry. The vet last night was the one who said something about taking Allo off any pred eventually and waiting for symptoms. My regular vet did not....he said he wanted to check him after the antibiotic is done and then talk about the plan from there. He didn't say anything about him being on or off. He did seem to prefer the oral pred over the inhaler, but I do plan on discussing this with him more once we get over this current crisis. I think it was for the reasons mentioned, that he feels the oral works best, plus there is an issue also of getting Allo to cooperate for the short amount of time with the mask. But I have read both pros and cons and I am going to pursue it bc I do want something especially in case of emergency. And I also share your concern with the use of the oral pred on his entire body. So I apologize because I meant to relay what the vet said more last night and just lumped it all together in my fatigue. :o

Allo is very young yet and I don't know how I want to treat this...but I am leaning towards the inhaler. I need to do some further research and reading so I can present a solid case in ten days time if I need to. For every article I have found that says one thing, I find another that says another thing. So I will stay on top of this.

We did get two air purifiers today and hypoallergenic litter that does not produce much dust at all. My boyfriend disinfected his box and put the new litter in place.

He had two episodes today so far of rapid shallow breathing, not lasting long and I did check him gums. I hear a slight, very slight, wheeze....I will be glad if we can get through the night a little easier! And he will too!

I am watching him often and listening to his chest....

I apologize for the confusion or sounding like I am anti-inhaler...I'm just so tired from the surgery still and all the stress and running around that I am having brain fatigue and difficulty processing much. I keep forgetting things and hope I don't have my own case of cognitive disorder brewing!!!

Many thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it so very much!!! Sorry again for the brain fog....

Much love and many hugs, Beth

I meant to add that yes, he is on a bronchodialator too! :) See what I mean about the brain??? :o

SasAndYunah
01-10-2010, 05:34 AM
Oh no Beth, you didn't sound like anti inhaler to me at all :) But having witnessed and experienced 40 years of asthma treatment in humans and the huge improvements that have been made in those 40 years, I just want to make sure that you know what is available and considered the best treatment in animals nowadays :)

When I was a child, there was hardly any treatment at all and I was send to Davos (Switzerland) to breath "healthy mountain air" as one of the few treatment options in those days :) Thankfully they have come a long way and the treatment options are many and also....they are safe :) But the most important change is that now they really agree it is the best to prevent any flare ups and they know that even when there are no symptoms, the airways are still in a state of inflammation and in cats it seems to be the exact same way. They may not be symptomatic (shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing, etc) but the airways are still in a state of inflammation. And that is what you want to reduce...the state of inflammation. (this is where the daily maintenance dose of steroids come in) When the airways stay in a constant state of inflammation, the slightest "trigger" may/will cause an attack (and do dammage, leaving the airways more vulnerable after each time) When you can manage to reduce the constant state of inflammation, the airways won't respond so fast and so violently to "triggers" therefore reducing the amount of flare ups and attacks (and thus keeping the airways healthier and less vulnerable)

One thing that is not quite clear to me yet is if Allo was put on a bronchodilator, either oral or injected? The fact he is still wheezing even just a little bit, is surprising to me and should not be the case if bronchodilators are used.

And another thing, you mention you want something on hand in case if needed? Well, albuterol, an inhaler bronchodilator, works more rapidly then the injected or orally given terbutaline, so another important pro for inhalation therapy :)

Anyway, just want you to have the best information possible about options so you can have an informed discussion about it with your vet :) And I hope my info will help you some...

All my best to you and Allo,

Oops, I didn't see the part about the bronchodilator...

forscooter
01-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi Saskia!

I found this link which seems to be what my vet is doing for right now...

https://app.vetconnect.com/5min/data/03700371.htm

The bronchodilator is the terbutaline injectable (did I spell that right, yet?)...I'm still learning!

and I think we finally turned the corner last night! :) Very slight, almost inaudible wheezing just for short periods, but this morning he was up and playing with his mouse, chasing it around, and eating and being social and being the Allo I remember! I think he needed that increased dose of pred to get in him and get things in better control. Plus the sneezing is diminishing so I think the infection is starting to lose ground. :)

When you said that about the mountains, I remember when I was little and had bronchitis...and my parents would bundle me up in the cold winter and take me to the beach bc the salt air was supposed to be healing. When my son was little, the doctors told me to take him out in the cold air bc the cold would help decrease the inflammation too. So, I remembered that and although I won't let Allo loose especially now, I am opening the window he is in a few times a day and letting him inhale the cold air. The gas company is going to love me for it but if it helps him, I'll do it!

I actually have an Albuterol inhaler in the house bc my son has periods of exercise-induced asthma. I do want to ask the vet about using it for periods of emergencies for Allo. I almost grabbed a toilet paper tube the other night and used it on my own. But I know I should have the vet's blessing. So I didn't. In an extreme emergency, I may though! I will mention this again tomorrow now that we have the confirmed diagnosis. And about the inhaler for sure in general!

And I agree about prevention...I really am not comfortable waiting for their to be symptoms. And if he agrees with the other vet about not keeping him on something to try and prevent attacks, I will most likely, for the first time in over 20 years seek another opinion....I am just not OK with letting him be on nothing ever until we have a problem.

I will keep you posted!!! Thank you a million times for all your help and support!!!!!

Lots of love and hugs, Beth

SasAndYunah
01-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi Beth :)

I read that link and that's indeed the "old fashioned" appraoch...it doesn't even mention inhalation steroids or the use of albuterol.

And about the cold air? It's pretty cold here but with such lovely crispy dry cold air...that I love being outside :D I spent up to 3 hours a day outside with Yunah in 5 degrees Fahrenheit :eek: Every winter I feel so much better then I do during the summers, I should move to the Northpole :p The last time I visited my lung specialist he told me to "keep doing as I do, since I (my lungs) was in such good shape" (considering) meaning I spent lots of time outside (very healthy) and I am very dutyful in using my (maintenance) medication, a critical part in maintaining a good condition.

Another thing that went through my mind is that you might want to learn/practise taking Allo's temperature. It will be helpfull in determing whether Allo is having "only" a period in which his asthma is playing up or that there is also a secundairy infection going on...the difference would be of course having a fever or not :) Very helpfull if you can figure that out before calling a vet :)

And keep a diary. It may help discover "patterns" of when the asthma is more active and if you could discover what is a trigger for Allo's asthma, that would be very helpful as well :)

And of course, I was very happy to read that Allo seems to be improving finally, being playful again and social again :) Hope you're improving as well...although I would look rather surprised if one day I would read you are chasing mice :D

Some crispy cold hugs back ;)

Sas and Yunah :)

Squirt's Mom
01-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey Beth,

What is Allo eating? I don't know that this is even a possibility but could food allergies be causing the asthmatic reactions? It's a thought in my little brain but I haven't researched to find out if that is indeed a possible cause.

What I do know is that cat foods often contain quite a bit of plant material - veggies and fruits - in addition to things like guar gum used in processing. While this really appeals to parents because we like to think we are providing a well-balanced meal for our kitties, it isn't what cats need to eat. Felines are obligate carnivores, meaning they only need animal tissue to thrive. Their digestive systems are simply not designed to digest plant materials. So, to me, it makes sense that if we are bombarding a system with something it cannot use, a reaction of some sort is to be expected.

Again, this is just wool-gathering on my part, but thought I would share. :p

Hugs and love to all,
Leslie

forscooter
01-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi Leslie,

Thank you for your help! I did look quickly at the food allergy issue, and although the allergies manifest themselves usually as itching and GI issues, they can be a source behind asthma. I remember reading allergies are difficult to figure out, so they (the things I have read so far) recommended hitting all the big areas like the air and litter. BUT, I do think the food could very well be suspect.

The one thing is I have had him on different foods over the course of the year. I had him on Wellness Salmon in the beginning but then he started to pork up a little. So I switched to a combo of that and the Wellness Diet food. All dry. When he started getting sick, I added in a Newman's Organic Wet food just to try to coax him to eat and to add the moisture in since he wasn't drinking well.

But you got me to thinking of switching maybe to a novel protein and carb food like I did with Scoobie to see if that too will help.

He is up screaming to go outside, I opened the window again for a little bit. And he was playing. But, he also had a bout after I posted before of rapid, labored breathing which subsided in about three minutes. If he has another, I am calling the ER vet bc I can't stand it.

Maybe I am wrong but I am hesitant to throw him in the car for these short episodes bc I also know the added stress will only add to the breathing issues. Again, I may be wrong....but they seem to pass right now very quickly. I am hoping we can hold off until tomorrow but I will call if he does it again....

I feel like :):(:):(:):(

Love ya! Beth

Carol G
01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
When Atty was being diagnosed, IBD was one possibility and she was switched to a limited ingredient food (Royal Canin Duck and Green Pea). The IM said that usually food allergies in cats are to the protein source rather than grain. Now, we were talking about GI issues and it might be different with asthma.

But, I did want to caution you that a lot of cat foods that say a specific protein in the name will have other proteins (often chicken) as an ingredient. The Natural Balance limited ingredient line does not. Atty really likes the Venison & Green Pea (at least right now she does).

While Atty's issues were not diagnosed as food allergy related, I'm still hesitant to give her chicken (and I do realize I'm just being weird here).

I hope all remains quiet there.

Carol & Atty

forscooter
01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Thank you, Carol....I did check his food, and although the Newman's got a very good rating, it does start with chicken. I will have to see what I can get that has something else in it when I can get out more and carry more. Or go next weekend when I have some help. I am so limited during the week :( because everyone is at work and my son is at school and then has other obligations. There is a pet store relatively close so I may see what they have and if they will carry it out for me. I can leave it in the car until someone comes home to get it out. Very interesting about the protein being the culprit though...I never would have thought that! Thank you so much bc I will make sure it is a high protein, novel protein, no grain formula food. He has no other signs of allergies to food so I am not sure if this is the answer, but I am willing to give it a try to see. I did read that is there are food allergies in cats, two weeks is all you need to trial it? Much shorter than dogs. I also need to look through all the treats that Santa just brought :(.

It was relatively quiet today.....two fast episodes of rapid breathing...c'mon tomorrow!!!!!!

Lots of thanks and love, Beth

corgipallie
01-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Just now catching up.
How is he tonight? I've been thinking of you all day. I hope you didn't have any more episodes.

((((((hugs)))))

Harley PoMMom
01-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Altho I have no advice to give, I am sending tons of hugs, love, healing and soothing energy and vibes your way.

forscooter
01-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks, Steph and Lori!

So far tonight he seems OK....a little clingy, well for a cat...he is "meowing" and following me and pacing the house...I think he wants o-u-t. But there is noooooo way that is happening. He didn't eat that well today, and he slept a lot. He had two episodes today...one minor and the other was the worst. He is not sneezing per se but he is forcefully exhaling here and there through his nose....so, that isn't so good either. If he eats overnight, I will feel a little better as far as the eating thing goes. He is usually a night-stalker/eater.

I have an appointment in the morning first thing but should be done by 10. I will definitely be calling the vet as soon as I am done/can and wish I could do it first thing. I don't think we are quite "there" yet....it's better but not where I think we should be....

Thanks so much for checking on us....hopefully we can get through tonight without a hitch!

((((((((kittyhugs)))))))))

And of course, lots of love too! Beth and Allo-licious

littleone1
01-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Hi Beth,

I hope both you and Allo had a much better night, and that Allo really shows improvement.

forscooter
01-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Thank you!

I spoke to the vet and we are adding on an albuterol inhaler bid and as needed for these wheezing periods. Off to get that now. This should be interesting....I need a suit of armor! Will follow-up with her on Thursday to see how he is doing with this too.

Love and hugs! Beth and Allo-vicious

Squirt's Mom
01-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Ok...I want a video of this please.... :D:eek::D

Do let us know how Allo does on the inhaler! I hope it helps a whole bunch and that you still have most of your skin most of the time. :p

Love ya!

gpgscott
01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Hi Beth,

Hoping the inhaler gets him under control.

Scott

forscooter
01-11-2010, 06:07 PM
What say you, oh sweet Leslie???

Thank you both! I just got home and have to get the albuterol later when they can fill it at my pharmacy. I have an inhaler in the house to get started tonight but will go back out later for the medicine.

Now, hasn't anyone told Allo I am supposed to have a few weeks of recovery???

I drove there singing to the tune of the Twelve Days of Christmas...

One wormy puppy...
One Cushing's dog....
And a cat with feline asthmmmmmaaaaaaa....

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

this is a link for anyone who wants to come help me...

http://www.aerokat.com/Animal_Health/ah_aerokat_fac.asp

In all seriousness, I do hope this does the trick bc I hate seeing him like this. We will re-evaluate him on Thursday....

Love ya! Beth and Allo

SasAndYunah
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi Beth,

how's Allo doing todat with the Albuterol? And the Aerokat?

Hope he tolerates it and feels better after some Albuterol :)

SasAndYunah
01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 30 seconds" :eek:

Never had this message before...geezzzzzzzzzz, I had no clue I could be that fast :p

Sas ;)

forscooter
01-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Hi Saskia,

Allo seems better for the first time today (meaning today as a whole...not that he was bad all day), thanks! He is absolutely hating the mask, crying and fighting it, but we, after a first bad attempt last night, got it figured out. He needed an emergency treatment at 11 last night, which is his worst time of day/night, but the dose at 8pm was the one we messed up.

He had another dose at 8am and is due at 8pm. He seemed good today...one very fast episode of wheezing that I wasn't sure was snoring or wheezing and since it passed so fast, I let it go. But he is eating better every day, more alert and playful, and his face just looks happier.

However, I did get growled at by him for the first time ever this morning when giving him the pred...I am hoping we sail through tonight with no issues bc then I will know he is better for sure!

Thanks for checking on us!
Love and hugs, Beth and Allo

littleone1
01-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Hi Beth,

I'm glad to hear that Allo had a better day today. I'm hoping that this will continue.

labblab
01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey Beth,

Thinking about you guys today, and wondering how things have been going. I sure hope that things have settled down and Allo has been doing better. And that YOU are feeling better, too!!! Would love an update when you have the chance...:o

Marianne

forscooter
01-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Marianne,

Things are churning along here, thank you so much for checking on us!

Allo is staying on the pred every other day and the inhaler twice a day. He seems much better, back to playing, is having some sneezing still, but is more himself. I have air purifiers running and have tried to stick to non-offensive cleaning products. He is eating well and I haven't heard any wheezing except for one very quick minor episode. So we decided to leave him on the current dosing and re-evaluate as the weather changes in the Spring.

Lots of love and hugs, Beth

(Moderator's Note: A portion of this reply related to an update on Bailey -- so that portion has been moved to Beth's thread for Bailey on the Questions & Discussion forum (along with all the related replies): http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24153#post24153 )