PDA

View Full Version : Sharon and Kenai (update: Kenai has passed)

ventilate
12-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi all;
I wanted to wish you all a very Happy New Year.
Kenai and I are doing well, we miss Nike daily but the raw pain is gone. She was a very special dog and when she died took a large piece of my heart with her.
Kenai had a bit of an issue the end of Nov, he had the squirts and was just not himself, nothing specific just not right. He would leave his food partly eaten which is not like him at all. I called and Dr E put him on flagyl that helped some but not completely. Took him in to see another vet, Dr E was off, and he put him on antibiotics and more flagyl, dewormed him and said if it was not better to bring him back in. His poop was better but he still was not animated as he usually is. I had to go out of town for a conference and booked an appt with Dr E for when I got home. WHen I went to pick him up he walked to the truck, not lept like he usually does. This was the first time he was there himself. That was a huge red flag for me. When he got to see Dr E, he even noticed he was not himself, when I lifted him into the truck he seemed to groan when I pressed on his belly. Dr E palpated and noted that he was very sensitive there. I had changed their dog food back in the summer, Nike had gained about10 lbs and Kenai about 15 when he was weighed that day. He is back on his solid gold for old fat dogs again. Dr E thought maybe he had pancreatitis so did lab draws, there were good except he he was hypothyroid, so he suggested an xray, that was clear but did show some very bad arthritis in his mid back, had bridging from one vertabre to the next to try and fuse his back so that is why he could or would not jump. He put him on tramadol, pepcid AC, thyro tabs, and metamucil to help firm up his poop. I dont know what it was but when I took him back in the day after the lab draws for the xray Dr E said he had that spark back, I agreed. He is back to his self, not pre nikes death but as good as he was since.
I bought him a ramp to get into my truck and it works excellent, no more busten my back to lift his butt into my truck, and not hurting him as well. It has been a life saver, I should have gotten it years ago for Nike and him. He just walks right up then steps on the seat. I am sure he is losing wt with the other dog food and the thyroid meds. he lost 4 lbs in a week before the tabs so I know it was the food. I am taking him in the first week of Jan for his repeat thyroid panel to see what his level is on the meds. Got a phone call from Dr E checking on "our boy" yesterday, called me on his day off. Kenai has a great vet.
That is the update from us. I will be stopping by once in a while but have some presentations I have to work on and extra stuff from the hospital so not sure how much it will be but I do check in to see how all are doing.

All the best to all in the New Year
Sharon and Kenai and always my giant angel Nike

gpgscott
12-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi Sharon,

Happy new year to you and DS:D, glad to hear from you.

I think the ramp is a good idea, I remember a bad situation trying to get his butt into the truck.

Please look in on us a frequently as you can. Hugs and prayers to you all.

Scott.

littleone1
12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Happy New Year to you, too, Sharon.

That's such a great idea about the ramp. I am now thinking about getting one for Corky. Ever since he had the weakness in his hind legs, and missed the seat when he tried to get itno the car, he won't jump in or out of the car. I always have to lift him. I'm glad he's only about 18 and 1/2 pounds. Otherwise, I would never be able to pick him up.

Take care.

Terri

labblab
12-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Sharon, it is so good to read your update and to know that Kenai is doing better once again. As Scott has said, please do check back in with us whenever you have the time. And in the meantime, good luck with your presentations, and please give Kenai tons of pats from his family here.

New Year's wishes comin' right back at ya from my house and mine ;),
Marianne

mytil
12-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi Sharon,

I am so glad you posted - I was thinking about you and Kenai. And am happy to hear he is doing better and you are too. Be safe in your travels and have a great New Year.

Please stop by often
((((hugs)))) and big smoochies to Kenai
Terry

Roxee's Dad
12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the update and Happy New year to you and Kenai. Hope Kenai continues to improve.

sunimist
12-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi Sharon! :D Great to hear from you. Glad Kenai is doing better and so glad you are doing OK. Big Giant Schnauzer hugs to you both and hope you have a wonderful, healthy, happy, safe and peaceful New Year.

Much love,

Shelba and Suni

clydetheboosmom
12-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Hi Sharon! Glad to see that Kenai is doing better.

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

(I'm sending you a PM)

forscooter
12-30-2009, 03:55 PM
:cool:

You know...

Love ya, Beth

zoesmom
12-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Sharon - Glad to hear that DS is doing better. The ramp thing might be next for us so it's good to read that Kenai likes it. I'm not sure whether Zo will be able to negotiate the steps we were using to get her in the back seat anymore. We had to lift her in and out of the back of the car to go to the petsitters and the ol' back (mine) isn't up to that anymore. I used to be able to lift her but will have to see what happens when we pick her up next week. Hope you have a YAPPY NEW YEAR! Sue

acushdogsmom
12-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Happy New Year, Sharon and Kenai!

And many many (((hugs))) to you both.

:D :D :D

Dollydog
12-30-2009, 08:57 PM
((((((HUGS)))))) for you both and thanks for posting,
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel :)

Franklin'sMum
12-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi Sharon,

Happy new year to you and Kenai! So glad Kenai's feeling a bit better :)
Jane and Franklin xx
________
Bbw Swingers (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/225/swingers/videos/1)

ChristyA
12-31-2009, 01:49 AM
Happy New Year to you too. Glad Kenai is doing better.
Christy

jrepac
12-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi Sharon,
thanks for the update. You may think it sounds crazy, but a little of cooked rice or oatmeal (no milk or cream in it) are good for firming up the loose poops.

My Aussie has some arthritis and I can tell when it is acting up; she is just not her perky self. I think anything involving the joints/bones/back can slow them. My last Aussie injured her back and I could always tell when it flared up.

I try to treat the arthritis sparingly with doggie aspirin, which seems to help. Plus the treats w/glucosomine & MSM in them are a daily dose. I'd just rather avoid the stronger Rx stuff due to possible effect on the liver, which is already an issue for cushpups. [had a nasty experience with Rimadyl and backed away from that fast].

Jeff

ventilate
01-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks All.
Kenai is doing great, going in next week for his checkup and to see what his thyroid level is on his meds.
Thanks Jeff. I know about rice and pumpkin, Nike was treated for cushings for close to 4 years and there were times when she need both. Kenai is on Adaquan for his arthirits as well as fish oil and the tramadol. Dr E would not put him on NSAIDs because his stomach was upset and hurt him when he palpated it. Nike also did great on the tramadol, Adaquan, Fish oil and gabapentin for her arthritis with no abnormal liver values. he ran and jumped skipping 2 steps on the deck today,so cant be hurting to bad.
The ramp is working beautifully, he needs a little push to get started but then he just walks right up.
Hope the New Year has a good start for you all.
Sharon, Kenai and forever Nike

Squirt's Mom
01-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi Sharon,

So good to hear that Kenai is doing so much better! :D You deserve a break for a bit at least! Hope he continues to strengthen and feel better and better in the days to come.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls - always

littleone1
01-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi Sharon,

I'm glad to her that Kenai is doing better. I hope you continue to see more improvement.

Terri

Roxee's Dad
01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Good news is always welcome :) So glad that Kenai is feeling better. :)

frijole
01-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi Sharon! I am late to the party and just saw this.. but wanted to wish you and Kenai the best of new years!! Kim and clan

ventilate
05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Oh My; I knew it had been a while but didnt quite think it had been this long. Just wanted to drop by and say hello to all and give a update on Kenai.

He has been doing well, still very clingly and needy but with spring here now, he has been spending time outside when I am home he will at least go out and lay by the screen door but at least he is outside. His thyroid is still a tad low so will increase his meds again. Dr E wants to re evaluate his cardiomyopathy so will be taking him in again for an echo. They have to give him some happy juice for the scan so will check his BP when he is chilled. I think he has lost some wt, have been substituting some of his old fat dog dog food with green beans for bulk and giving him slightly less than 2 cups of food 2X day and less cookies. I have quit asking him what he wants cause he runs to the cookie cupboard and keeps bumping it with his nose. then I feel guilty since I asked and he told me so he gets a treat. Dont ask if I dont want to know is the new rule :D

His back seems better with the fish oil and glucosamine and Adaquan. he does not take as long getting ready before jumping up on the couch or bed. He seems to be kicking a lot in him sleep, unfortunately it is usually at my back so I dont sleep. Dr E said it was just dreams. He quits if I touch him or swat at him depending on what time of night:( He is doing rather well for a 9.5 year old giant schnauzer. He will attempt to chase rabbits from the yard. He will play with me, when I initiate it, not tug like Nike but will play with his bones or kong. He does like to play fetch but gets tired of it pretty fast.

I have been good, slowing down some, cant or wont do the pace I have been doing the past couple years. not teaching as many classes or doing as many presentations. Work continues to be busy tis our season for traumas, bikes, motor cycles tractors and tourists. Will be going to Alaska again this summer and home in the fall.

I miss Nike everyday, she is still on my mantle. I will be taking her home with me when I go home and will bury her under the pines in an area we reserved for our beloved pets. I had a large marker made that has pictures of all our pets that are layed to rest there, she will be joining them. She was a remarkable dog, and when she died she took a large piece of my heart with her, and I know part of Kenai's too.

Well that is what is going on in the land of the Schnauzers. I hope everyone is doing OK. And to all the newbies, just know that with the proper testing and treatment and if you are vigilent and know your dog and can tell when something is not right, your dog can live a long time with cushings. Nike was to almost 4 years with cushings and she passed at 13 years old, mostly unheard of for a giant schnauzer.

Best advice I can give is go with your gut, dont doubt it.

Love to your and yours from me and mine.

Sharon and Kenai and always HRH Nike (that HRH still makes me smile every time I think about how she got that title and the pic of her with the crown is way to cute)

zoesmom
05-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Sharon - I think I speak for everyone here when I say that 'we miss you a bunch around here!' But so glad to hear that Kenai is doing ok!! And that you are not overdoing it at work either!

We are slowly getting settled in GA but there are constant reminders of who's not here with me. :(:(:( I packed up most of her beds and blankies yesterday into a big box to store in the garage. But I plan to hang on to everything because I feel like it won't be long until I just have to adopt an orphan or two. I feel myself weakening every day and repeatedly checking petfinder. My problem is that I want to save each and every one of them. So many sad stories and I would take them all in, if I could. How do you chose when so many need saving. Breaks my heart. Anyway - hope you are enjoying spring. It's in full force here in Ellijay - bees and all. Hugs to you and your big guy, K. Sue

Dollydog
05-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi Sharon, it is SO good to see your post here. And Sue is speaking for all of us when she says you're missed a bunch! I'm glad to hear that Kenai is doing OK....I've been wondering how he's doing now that he's on his own.
I find myself checking the Everything Else and In Loving Memory sections before I check the Questions and Discussions one. The Cushings thing seems so far away now.
Have a great summer,
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel :)

Roxee's Dad
05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi Sharon,
Really good to hear from you and get an update on Kenai. As Sue said, we do miss you around here. Holding you and Nike in my heart. I know how much it hurts.

gpgscott
05-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Best advice I can give is go with your gut, dont doubt it.

Love to your and yours from me and mine.

Sharon and Kenai and always HRH Nike (that HRH still makes me smile every time I think about how she got that title and the pic of her with the crown is way to cute)

Gospel.

Thanks Sharon.

Scott

frijole
05-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Heh girl! Great to hear from you. Hugs to good ole Kenai. Glad that things are going well and I can relate to slowing things down... lord. We are all still kicking. Only update is my girl Annie was just diagnosed with PDH so I join the club of multicush parents. Do keep in touch as time permits. Hugs, Kim and the girls

ventilate
11-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Kenai and I need your help please;
Kenai went in for an emergent ex-lap and splenectomy. He became suddenly ill on Monday, I rushed him into the vets, they did xrays and ultrasounds, gave him fluids as he was becoming shocky, then rushed him in for surgery. He had a large tumor on his splene that ruptured and he was bleeding into his belly. He was doing great from that, they were concerned about his heart issues but no problem. He did have a cough after and the vet was concerned that he may have aspirated. They tried to give him blood but he began to have a temp so they had to stop as that can indicate a blood reaction. Today when I went in his pneumonia blossomed, he looked bad, they had to put him on oxygen, he had 2 IVs one in each front leg and he didnt even bother with them. He hasnt eaten since monday AM. He continues to run a high temp, but the antibiotics were only started heavy duty this AM.
He is pitiful, he just lays there with his head in his paws or on my lap and coughs. This pneumonia is double bad for him as his RBCs are very low, its the RBCs that carry oxygen and with the pneumonia he is not getting into his lungs as much oxygen so the amount that is in his system and being sent to his body is low.He has a cath in his nose giving him oxygen, this has helped his labored breathing a little.
Please send good thought our way, Kenai really needs them, me too. I am a mess. He is doing good from the surg it is the pneumonia that is causing him so much grief. And me a respiratory therapist, cant do a darn thing for him other than be there to let him lay his head in my lap and know I am there.
Thanks in advance
Sharon and Kenai

littleone1
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi Sharon,

I am so very sorry for what you and Kenai are going through. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. Corky and I are keeping everything crossed that Kenai will soon get well.

Casey's Mom
11-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Sharon - I am sending all of the healing thoughts and prayers I can for you and Kenai. You are both in my prayers tonight.

Love and many hugs,

frijole
11-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Ah dear Sharon you are always in our thoughts but please know that dear Annie and I send lots of love and prayers tonight and will continue to do so. Keep the faith and I know you have him in the best of hands. Huge hugs friend. Keep us posted and know we are thinking of you both. Kim

SachiMom
11-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Sharon,
I am sending love, hugs, and double time healing prayers.
You are there for him, so you are doing your part. We will do our part in sending the most healing prayers ever.
Kenai, big guy, hang in there for Mom. She needs you.
Luv & Hugs ~ Mary Ann

lulusmom
11-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Sharon, lots of positive thoughts being sent your way and healing prayers being said. I'll be checking in often for updates.

(((Great big comforting hugs)))
Glynda

Carol G
11-04-2010, 12:34 AM
Strong positive thoughts from here too.

Carol

k9diabetes
11-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Sending a hug and all of our best wishes for Kenai...

Natalie

Sabre's Mum
11-04-2010, 03:03 AM
Sharon ... oh dear ... my thoughts are with you.

Take care and lots of hugs to you and Kenai
Angela and Flynn

Harley PoMMom
11-04-2010, 04:11 AM
Sharon, tons of positive and healing thoughts and prayers being sent and said for sweet Kenai.

Big (((hugs))) to you and love, Lori

BestBuddy
11-04-2010, 04:43 AM
Sharon,

You and Kenai have my prayers. I am hoping Kenai can tap into your strength and get through this. Give him a gentle pat for me.

Jenny

mytil
11-04-2010, 06:19 AM
Dearest Sharon,

You and Kenai are most certainly in my prayers. I am sending tons of healing thoughts to you both.

(((hugs)))
Terry xxx

labblab
11-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Oh Sharon, I am here too!!!! I will be sending prayers and well-wishes from this moment onward. Please tell Kenai that we are all beaming him healing strength. And sending so many hugs to you, as well.

Marianne

ventilate
11-04-2010, 09:17 AM
thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, Dr E called me last night about 1030 and Kenai passed away. My email is ventilate03@msn.com. I cant come back here for a while.
thanks again
Sharon and always my demon spawn Kenai and Nike

sunimist
11-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Dear Sharon, I don't know what to say except that my heart sank when I read your post. I wasn't expecting such sad news and I am heartbroken for you. Tears of sorrow are flowing freely right now, both for you and dear precious Kenai. I pray God grant you strength, comfort and grace to sustain you during this sad, sad time.
R.I.P. Sweet Boy.
Much love and many (((HUGS)))

Shelba and Suni~~

labblab
11-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Oh Sharon. There are no words right now. I am so deeply sorry.

Kenai and Nike are now reunited once again, forever and always.

Many (((hugs))),
Marianne

Squirt's Mom
11-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Dear, dear Sharon,

My heart is broken for you and the tears won't stop. I am so, so sorry this has happened.

Please don't blame yourself in any way. You are an exceptional mom who knew your babies like no other. The Giants could not have found themselves in better, more loving hands than yours.

I hope it helps to know that HRH and Demon Spawn are together once again, united in love, forever watching over you.

Healing white light, prayers, hugs and love sent your way.

Our deepest sympathies,
Leslie, Squirt, Trinket, and our Angels, Ruby and Crystal

bkdice
11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Many of us know the pain all too well, and I know how broken hearted you still are over Nike. :( Wishing you peace in your heart.

Spiceysmum
11-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Sharon,

I was so sad to hear that Kenai had passed away. I know how hard it is to watch them struggle to breathe but you did all you could just by being there and holding him. God Bless.

Linda

Carol G
11-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Sharon,

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts go out to you,

Carol

littleone1
11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm so sorry Sharon. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know this must be very painful for you.

Godspeed Kenai.

Hugs,

Terri

zoesmom
11-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh, Sharon. Your post caught me so off guard. I am absolutely devastated to hear that Kenai is gone. I can't even begin to come up with the right words. But you know that my tears flow with yours. I am thinking of you, as always. ((((Hugs, my friend))))) Sue

BestBuddy
11-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Sharon,

I am so sorry. We should never have to go through this pain but then I guess we wouldn't have the joy either.

I understand needing a break but when you come back I'm sure you will see all these posts and know how much we care.

Jenny

Godspeed Kenai

frijole
11-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Sharon, This news breaks my heart. I have no words except I am sorry. Kenai was loved and so lucky to have you for a mom. I send you much love and strength to heal. Love, Kim, Annie and Angel Haley xoxoxo

Roxee's Dad
11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Dear Sharon,

I am so very, very sorry..my tears are flowing and my so heart hurts for you.

Rest in peace Kenai.

Casey's Mom
11-04-2010, 11:04 PM
I am so very sorry Sharon.

We have another angel in heaven,

Love and many hugs,

SachiMom
11-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Sharon,
I am so sorry. My heart is so heavy. Words are lost.
I will always carry with me the vision of tiny Sharon with her two giants. So they both live on in your heart as well as mine.
Godspeed Kenai. Mom did her best.
Luv & Hugs,
Mary Ann

mytil
11-05-2010, 05:35 AM
Oh Sharon,

There are no words to describe how sorry I am. My heart is with you.

((((((hugs))))))
Terry xxx

gpgscott
11-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Dear Sharon,

Thanks for coming here in this time of sadness.

We all share your loss because you have so generously shared your life and those of the 'giants' with us. There is no way to know how many you all have touched and helped along the way.

Godspeed Kenai.

Scott

Franklin'sMum
11-05-2010, 05:49 AM
Dear Sharon,

I am so very sorry to hear about Kenai. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love and huge comforting hugs,
Jane, Franklin and Bailey

k9diabetes
11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh Sharon... I'm so sorry...

Natalie

mypuppy
11-06-2010, 07:40 AM
So saddened for your deep loss of your precious baby. May the memories fill your empty heart. Tight hugs. Jeanette and Princess

ChristyA
11-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Sharon,
I am so sorry.
Christy

judymaggie
11-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Sharon -- I am so very sorry to hear about Kenai. I am sending prayers and healing thoughts to you during this very difficult time.

jrepac
11-07-2010, 09:48 PM
so sorry to hear of this...am going through similar difficulties...I feel your pain

Jeff

John II
11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Dear Sharon,

I am so very sorry for your loss. :(
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rest in peace Kenai.

nikkismom
11-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Sharon, I'm so sorry. I know how hard this is for you. My thoughts are with you.

ventilate
12-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi,
Just wanted to stop by for a second and say hello and wish everyone a beautiful Holiday season. I am overwhelmed with all the emails and notes left here for Me, Kenai and Nike. You all have touched my heart. I am doing OK. I miss Kenai and Nike so much, my house is so empty and the quietness is intolerable. I have to leave the TV on when I leave so I dont come home to a quite house. I learned that the hard way, the friday after Kenai died I came home from work with no dog to greet me at the door, no noise at all and I sat on the couch and had a melt down. Karrel, for those of you that remember Bensons mom, wrote to me that their house lost it soul when they lost Benson and that is exactly how I feel. My co workers were very good to me, some would think that dealing with human tragity all the time we would not get emotional with a pet, but everyone that crossed my path expressed their sympathy in some way. I received many emails from them telling me they know how I feel as they too have lost a pet or pets that they considered part of the family and how heart broken they still are. One man who I never would have expected to have any emotional ties to a pet, came up to me in the ICU and told me that when we lose a pet that we love so much it leaves a large jagged hole in our heart, over time the jagged edges smooth, but the hole forever remains.
One of the reasons I am here is to find out if anyone knows how to get ahold of Heidi Peters, she creates these beautiful keepsakes, like ordiments and sent me one with Nikes picture on it when she died and would like to get one made for Kenai. If anyone knows her email please email me at ventilate03@msn.com.
Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers. It has ben and still is a difficult time for me and I hope to come back here soon to continue to help others throught the bumpy road of Cushings.
love to all
Sharon and forever my Nike and demon Spawn Kenai

Dollydog
12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi Sharon,
Hope your season passes peacefully and quickly, especially this year.
Heidi's email address has been sent to your email.
Jo-Ann

frijole
12-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Sharon, great hearing from you again. I know what you mean about the loss and it is huge. I would be interested in seeing the ornament she made for you. I might like one of my Haley. What a neat idea. Hope you are well. We miss you dearly. Have a great holiday. Hugs, Kim and Annie

mytil
12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
(((((((((((hugs)))))))))) Sharon,
Txxx

bernie47
12-10-2010, 03:40 AM
Hugs from us to ...natcho and Catherine ..

apollo6
12-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Dear Sharon
I am so sad to hear of your loss. May Kenai finally have peace.
that special place in our hearts
feels so empty...
But we realize, as times passes,
that animals have a way of teaching us about loving,
about loyalty, joy, and friendship...
And whatever we've shared in their presence
can never really be lost.

Thinking of You
At This Time
sharing in your grief
Sonja and Apollo

clydetheboosmom