PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Dog Cookies

haf549
12-23-2009, 02:56 PM
This year I had a number of pumpkins for harvest decoration. I felt bad about just throwing them out. And having read that pumpkin is actually quite good for dogs, I searched for a dog cookie receipt. Kira absolutely loves these cookies:D:D (more than her store-bought ones), so I thought I'd share the receipt with you.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp dry milk
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup cornmeal (optional)
1/4 cup brown sugar (see my comments below)
water as needed

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Blend eggs and pumpkin together
3. Add salt, dry milk and flour
4. Add water or more flour as needed to make the dough the right
right consistency
5. The dough should be dry and stiff enough to roll out
You will need to kneed this with your hands because it is too stiff
for an electric mixer
6. Spread some flour on a flat surface and roll the dough to 1/2 inch
7. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters or just a plain old glass
8. Place 1" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet
9. Bake for 20 min on one side, then turn over and bake another
20 minutes.
10. Store cookies in a brown paper bag, in the refridgerator
(see comments below)

Comments:

The first couple of batches I made, after about a week, the cookies became mildewy. An acquaintence of mine make dog cookies for a living so I asked him what I could do to prevent the mildew.
First: he suggested that I add something sweet as a preservative, such as sugar or mollasses. Mollasses is way too sweet and I really didn't want to use white sugar, so I settled on brown sugar.
Second: after the initial baking time, turn the oven off and leave the cookies in the oven until it cools down completely. Dog cookies should be hard, so when they are baking, if they still feel kind of soft to the touch, extend the baking time a few more minutes.
Third: remove the cookies from the oven and spread onto a large tray and leave out overnight to ensure that all moisture is out of them.
Fourth: NEVER store them in plastic. Use paper bags or cookie containers. Also, to ensure they don't go bad on you, keep them in the refridgerator and just take out a few at a time if use.

I've tripled this receipt and now split the dough in half; using one half and freezing the other half for future use.

Heidi

gpgscott
12-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Heidi,

Thanks for the post, and the cookies sound like they would taste great.

This recipe uses pumpkin as a flavor and when you examine it, it is like most cookies, flour and sugar. It is better than most as it omits oil.

I could not recommend this except as a very rare treat. Flour is immediately converted to sugar and this recipe already has sugar which just exacerbates the effect.

I think the recipe might be saved by a substitution of ground flaxseed and would also be improved in palatability in the process.

Scott