PDA

View Full Version : Truffa Atypical Cushings, Update : saying goodbye to my Truffa

Truffa's Mom
12-22-2009, 03:53 AM
Hello everybody, we have been away from this family, but just in writing, since every day each one of you has a special thought in my heart.

I wanted to give all of you a wonderful update about how well Truffa was doing, but a very eclectic life has become more and more my everyday life.

Today something happened, and I wanted to ask for your thoughts and prayers.

The day started well as usual, and suddenly my husband woke me up telling me that something was wrong with Truffa : I got up like a crazy woman and went to see my baby. She couldn’t get up at all, she was panting a lot, her heart was beating very rapid and her head was tilted to the right side and kind of bobbing.

We carried her to the vet, and during the trip all her body was trembling and always tilted to the right side like she was dragging a big heavy weight on that side. The first second we entered the exam room she wanted to get our of there and she could stand up, but her body was curved to the right side, her back legs were very irresponsive and she stumbled several times; she didn’t want to lay down, so we helped her with a blanket underneath her chest and belly; she wanted to go pee, and obviously wanted to get out there ASAP.

I think the most dramatic of the episode lasted 2 hours, and then I guessed the adrenaline or the rescue remedy kicked in and she was getting better. Just to be sure my vet suggested to us to take her to Texas A&M, since they have seen her and they have more diagnostic possibilities than them.

My mom and my two sisters are here visiting from Colombia, and since all our lives revolve around our furry babies, everybody packed and here we are at College Station. When we arrived here they were waiting us with the gurney….. Truffa almost jumped out of my van, and then she was perfectly ok, she was very happy and almost running and pulling and leaping like a rabbit!!!!

Her head was straight, no weird posture, no stumbling, and no nothing!!!! I felt like a complete paranoid hysteric crazy mom……

We don’t know if it was a seizure (for me it looked like but I am not expert at all, just my mommy instinct) or what. Apparently the “ventricular” (ears) thing might be, but only one symptom fitted that diagnostic. The vet at Texas A&M, said that with seizures it was possible to see most of the signs that I described for them, as well as her miraculous recoup, since a dog in that kind of stressful situation (the trip, the vets) seems to get better.

In short they recommended us to leave her there overnight for observation and close monitoring, and in the morning the neurological team will do a complete examination and an MRI.
We have to book a hotel here, I don’t want to be more than 5 min away from her; and here we are with all my family and of course Miss Nina. Hubby is in Houston working and calling every half hour to see how her baby is doing.

I’ll let you all know as soon as I hear something. Please send to us all the prayers, thoughts, and healing energy.

Franklin'sMum
12-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry you and Truffa went through this experience, you must have been terrified. (And still probably are.)

I have no idea what this may have been, as Franklin's "episodes" have been different than what you described Truffa was doing. She is in the best place to get further diagnostics done, and we are hoping for the best news for you all.

So very glad your family understands the amazing and loving bond you share (as we all do) and are with you for support.

Fingers and paws crossed, sending positive thoughts, prayers and healing vibes your and Truffa's way. Please let us know what you find out.

Jane and Franklin xx
________
DC MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://dc.dispensaries.org/)

Harley PoMMom
12-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Hi Marcela,

My dear friend, OMGosh, I see why you were so frighten...the head tilting does sound like a stroke/seizure of some kind. Thank God Truffa is alot better now and I will definitely be sending positive and healing thoughts your way.

I am so glad that your family is there for you for support and you also have us, your k9cushings family too. We are always here for you...always.

I have missed you, Marcela, and hearing about your beautiful choco labs Truffa and Nina. Please let us know anything as soon as you can.

Will be keeping you, Truffa and Miss Nina in my thoughts and prayers and saying a special prayer for Truffa.

With much love and big, big hugs,
Lori

John II
12-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Dear Marcela,

I can imagine how this experience must make you feel and the thoughts that must have run through your mind. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope the doctors find what went wrong with poor Truffa and can fix the problem. It was good that your family was at hand to help you through this frightful day.

littleone1
12-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Hi Marcela,

That must have been a very frightening experience for both of you. I'm glad Truffa came out of it and was okay. Hopefully, this will never happen again.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Terri

Carol G
12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Thoughts and prayers coming from here.

Carol & Atty Cat and always Winnie & McGill

Squirt's Mom
12-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Oh Marcela,

My sweet, silver-winged angel. Your energy has surrounded us and held us up so many times in the past, you have filled our lives with your love. In the hardest times, your arms have been here giving me strength and support. Please know that I am there with you this time, holding you, returning all that you have given me. Prayers, positive thoughts, and the white light of healing energy are sent your way.

Of course, let me know when you learn something about our precious Truffa; give her and Nina a kiss between the eyes from me.

Huge hugs and lots of love,
Leslie and the girls - always

lulusmom
12-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Marcela, I have missed you!!!!....and I am so sorry that your Truffa has gone through this terrible time. I do understand the sheer terror you must have felt as my Lulu had an episode much like Truffa's; however, hers was a lot shorter in duration. If Truffa came around like nothing happened, then I think it was probably a bad seizure you witnessed. Lulu's IM said that some dogs may have one or two seizures in their lifetime and never have another so I am hoping that holds true for both Lulu and our very special Choco-lab.

Special prayers are being said for you, Truffa and your entire family.

(((((Hugs)))))
Glynda

BestBuddy
12-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Marcela,

You must have been terrified. I am so happy that Truffa improved so quickly but I will be keeping you in my thoughts in the hop you can track down the cause and hopefully prevent it happening again.

Jenny

labblab
12-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Dear Marcela,

I am also sending all my well wishes and hopes to Truffa and your entire wonderful family. I am so sorry this has happened, but I know that Truffa is receiving excellent care and diagnostics. All fingers and paws are crossed here, and we will anxiously await your next update.

Many (((hugs))),
Marianne

gpgscott
12-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Marcela,

Thanks so much for posting, you have been missed.

There is no way to suppose, we need to wait for the experts.

My family and I are praying for the best outcome.

I know it is hard for you right now, but please post us as often as you can.

Hugs and Prayers.

Scott

mypuppy
12-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi Marcela,
I believe you may have posted on my thread a while back. I am so sorry for your experience with Truffa and for Truffa herself. I think I probably would have been just as petrified, horrified if Princess was experiencing that. UGH! I hope she is all better by now, and of course, we will all keep our prayers going for her complete recovery. I wish you, Truffa and your family a healthier and blessed holiday season. Best regards, xo, Luv, Licks, Jeanette and Princess

MiniSchnauzerMom
12-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Marcela,

So sorry that Truffa is experiencing difficulties and hope it was just a one time thing. So scary when something is going wrong with our babies. Glad you're getting her checked out at Texas A&M.

For sure....Truffa, you, your family and Nina...all of you have tons of positive thoughts and prayers coming from me plus Munchie and the 6 furballs will send some positive pup/cat vibes too. I know that you will let us all know when you have some answers. You've been missed, my friend!

Louise

P.S. Can still whip up some of those "whubberitas" if you need one. :D

Roxee's Dad
12-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Good thoughts and prayers comming your way. I hope Truffa is on her way home happy and healthy.

Sabre's Mum
12-23-2009, 03:53 AM
Hi Marcela

Sorry to hear your latest news on Truffa. Let's just hope that it was a one off situation.

Take care
Angela, Sabre and Flynn

Truffa's Mom
12-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you a thousand thank you's and a billion IOU for all of you!!!!

I am exhausted and is 2:30 am. Today the Internet connection at the hotel was down almost the whole day. Of course we went shopping the whole day, and my mom and sisters could find most of their presents for Christmas, since this part is "essential" to their visit here.

We are still at College Station, they decided to keep Truffa another night for close monitoring. So as always 2 nghts of hotel must be added to my Truffa's healh care :(:o.

To kill the suspense : EVERYTHING IS OK WITH TRUFFA :D:D:)

She has "Idiopathic Vestibular syndrome". MRI didn't show any inflammation, or another abnormalies on her brain, but I am going to ask for all the details when I pick her up.

The adrenals (abdominal ultrasound) were slightly bigger than last us, which I think was on june... can't remember.

Another good news, her BP at Texas A&M was 120, which confirms the results that I am having at home and convinces me that the wrong technique, obsolete tool, and an inexperienced technitian, can give you very, veryinaccurate results. (at my regular vet they were having readings of 210, 220!!!!!, not just this time but other times when we wre just checking her BP).

My eyes are closing now.

Thank you for all your prayers and extraordinary good energy. A big super choco-hug for all of you. We felt all the love and healing thoughts today. You are an absolute invaluable family.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll write later

Franklin'sMum
12-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Marcela,

I am so happy for you and Truffa :D and Miss Nina :D.

Jane and Franklin xx
________
Ferrari F1-2000 (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_F1-2000)

haf549
12-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Happy to hear the good news about Truffa. Now you can relax over the holidays.

Heidi

Harley PoMMom
12-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Oh my dear friend Marcela, this is good news, a BP of 120!!! YAAAA!!! It sounds like they are taking excellent care of our Truffa and I am positive you are making sure of this too, the exceptional mom that you are.

It is so good to be "talking" with you again, and I hope you continue to post about Truffa and Miss Nina...please. :D We love you, Truffa and Nina, and you all have been sorely missed.

Healing thoughts, good energy and positive vibes are being sent your way, and you all are in my thoughts and prayers.

With much love and big, big hugs,
Lori and Harley

Squirt's Mom
12-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi Marcela,

What wonderful news! :D:D YEAH Truffa!! :D:D

Great BP, no brain inflammation or abnormalities, no surprises on the US, Christmas shopping with your mom and sisters, and what will hopefully be a one time event for Truffa...what a fantastic day! Soon you will all be back at your home enjoying the holidays with each other and the Choco Labs. Just wonderful!

Hugs and love,

littleone1
12-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm so glad that Truffa is doing good, Marcela.

zoesmom
12-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Marcela - I'm so sorry Truffa is having this problem. If it's idiopathic vestibular syndrome, that is exactly what Zoe has been going thru. When I read 'head tilt', that was the first thing that came to mind. Zoe didn't have much of the head tilt initially - she just couldn't stand, and fell over because she was so unbalanced. A couple days after taking her to the clinic, Zoe's head tilt was very obvious. How odd that both Truffa and Zoe have run into this same problem at around the same time. Strange. I'm hoping that Truffa will make a quick turnaround. Zoe seems to be progressing slowly, but then again, she couldn't stand for severral days. It's so scary to see. Give big hugs to our sweet Truffa. Sue

PS - Marcela, be sure and read the post on Zoe's thread from Annie's mom - on 12/23.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21478#post21478

EllyAugie
12-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Dear Marcella, sending good thoughts for Truffa, I completely understand your panic.
Wishing the best.
Elly and Augie

Carol G
12-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Marcella & Sue,

I'm so happy both Truffa and Zoe are doing better.

I just wanted to relay something about the head tilt. Years ago I worked with a guy who always had his head tilted to one side. He was really nice (and quite handsome too). I worked with him for years and never knew why he held his head tilted. After a number of years, his girlfriend told another friend that he had an inner ear problem and needed to keep his head tilted for balance. A couple of years later, I noticed that he no longed tilted his head.

A few years ago, I had a viral inner ear infection. While the most severe symptoms only lasted a few days, for months after I would get dizzy if I tilted my head back very far or if I turned over in bed quickly.

My point is (yes there is a point to this) that I think inner ear problem recovery is sometimes slow.

Carol

Truffa's Mom
12-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Thank you Carol, Sue (Zoe) and Annie's mom for the contribution about Vestibular Syndrome, and of course thank you to all my K9cushings family, you are the best of the best.

At Texas A&M they told me that symptoms will subdue in 2 weeks, and after that the patient will adapt or it would be just one episode in her lifetime; it is rare that it reoccur, but can happen. For what I read from Carol and Annie's mom is that it will require a long time.

Definitevily Truffa's episode was mild, but I am seeing signs that the recoup would be slow. Today she didn't want to eat by herself, which is very worry some since not even pancreatitis or post surgery/anesthesia events have decreased my poor "piggy cushy choco lab" appetite. Annie's mom experiences showed me that this can happen and that hand feeding would be a best way to help them "see things".... I didn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

Besides the hand feeding, we are dealing with an UTI, which has always happen after surgery or anesthesia :confused:; since she was diagnosed with Cushings, we have had a few UTI's, that was when I didn't know who Percy was, and I had the misadventure to meet him, but since then we dealt with some Crystals / UTI, and we treated successfully both, and though they were out of our lives!!! Guess you can not say never ever again.

So the appetite and UTI appeared to be managed for now, but I have not clue about the constipation. She feels uncomfortable and walks around the yard in circles, but nothing; and because her back legs are shaking so much and she is unbalanced I guess she forgot that she learned how to shoot "number 2", like a torpedo instead of squatting and pushing (hey!!! please don't laugh I'm sure that all our Cush pups have learned a few tricks to deal with that weakness of the legs.... :rolleyes:)

I gave her Dulcolax (a mild laxative), but nothing has happened. What else can I do? Does the canned pumpkin works for that or is just for diarrhea?.

Now her results and what the doctors told me.
MRI: brain is OK, no inflammation, no toxins, no viral infection, her spinal fluid was OK, pituitary was OK. All the other neurological symptoms appointed to an Idiopathic Vestibular syndrome. Her head was tilted for 2 days, but she could walk the second day. She still has problems standing up, it looks like her behind weights a ton and she can't lift it and/or her hind legs don't have any strength or movement; but today she hasn't need any help. She doesn't want to go on her walks, and she prefers to snooze ,which is very uncharacteristic because she always demands to go at least on a small walk a day; vet told us that we should follow her pace (yeah we the slave parents, the most obedient creatures on earth).

Abdominal US: Right adrenal slightly enlarged compared to last US on July 2009, and left adrenal same size as in July. On July/09 the prognosis wasn't so good ; Uncontrollable high BP (220 230 240 even 270 were the readings) and both adrenals grew in comparison to last US on feb-march 2009. The medicine at that time was 12.5 mg amlodipine BID + 10 mg benazepryl BID. Their diagnostic was a possible pheo, so they wanted to use hydrazaline as a new medication to control the BP, which had to be tittered under sedation, since this medication has to be precisely dosed under hospital control; after that they recommended a bilateral adrenalectomy, but at Texas A&M they don't have any experience with that surgery; their success rate with unilateral adrenalectomy improved from 2008, and now was 90% (before was 70%), or Lysodren to erode the tumors that were growing.

I was convinced that the hydralazine would be the priority. Lowering her BP was my first goal. There were days where total adrenalectomy sounded like a good choice, and when various of our cushy-dogs underwent that route, I thought that this would be the right choice for Truffa; besides successes like Shiloh and others made me feel good about it.... but the fear never went away, and then we lost precious cush-puppies, and I decided not to go trough with the surgery

Is not that I am not treating her, because I am. Everyone that has witnessed Truffa's pantry and all her medications (herbal, chinese, and natural supplements)knows that all that she is taking is something that mom has researched exhaustively, and has a reason to be on her diet. And what matters to me is that she looks OK for a senior gorgeous gal, and her clinical results are healthy within reason. On her last adrenal panel everything was almost in range, the only thing slightly elevated were the Alk Phos, but all the sex hormones were in range or decreased to a more normal value. So lignans, melatonin, immune strengthener, essiac tea. Omegas 3's are working, and my Truffa doesn't appear to be in pain, she walks, smiles, sleeps,eats very well.

So in short, with this last MRI and US, they finally agreed with me : "Mrs Rico continue doing whatever you are doing, clinical signs are OK, there is no need for the hydralazine (I added Pycnogenol and L'Arginine to her 12.5 mg amlodipine + 10 mg benazepryl BID blood pressure medication), since her BP is 120 (at the hospital!!!!!, with the vestibular syndrome) and if her clinical cushinoid signs are improving there is no need for Lysodren, Trilostane or adrenalectomy :):):):D.

I am administering some Australian herbal compounds for Cushings support http://www.herbal-treatments.net/. When our budget revives a little bit, we will do another adrenal panel to see if they are really working, maybe is just faith, I don't know but I believe they have, and the US have showed me they have. Believe me I am a "natural medicine freak" researcher and I browsed for days all the ingredients and they convinced me. Before the Australian herbs I used the "Pet alive Cushex drops" and they did NOTHING (6 months of use and that's when the adrenals tumors grew and they wanted to do the adrenalectomy).

Today I gave Truffa also the Bach Rescue Remedy. The day of the vestibular syndrome when her whole body was shaking, her heart beating was fast, and she was struggling to get up, paddling and trying to move, I gave her the Rescue Remedy and it's amazing how quickly she calmed down. Now there is one bottle in my purse, one in her cabinet and one in my car!!!.

As if I wasn't already crazy enough, I started to study to be a Holistic pet Consultant. I took my first workshops in homeopathy, nutrition, crystal & colors, and I am a Reiki I practitioner. Next year I'll try to take the correspondent classes so that way they will apply some tests on me , and that way I could work as a consultant. Truffa already drained some of our savings for that purpose, but well, what can you do. Yeah a little bit "quaky" but I'll assure you that my logical side of the brain still works very well. Sometimes I freak out myself, but for now it has been a rewarding experience and my husband (engineer!!!), my sister (also engineer) and Truffa and Nina have told me that "that thing that you did really worked!!!!....weird ha? Truffa likes a little bit of Reiki and she "talks" and deep breathes while I am doing it to her, not today though; and Nina is very funny she likes it but doesn't know what it is and looks at me with curiosity the whole time.

Hope every one has happy holidays and I wish all of you the best of wishes for 2010

I'll upload two pics of Truffa with her new hair-do!!!! May be that's why she hasn't smiled at me today:(

Squirt's Mom
12-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Sent you a PM, sweetie. Hope it helps!

Franklin'sMum
12-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey Marcela,

We hope Truffa recovers from her UTI very soon, and remembers how to "shoot" number 2s! :)
Great news on the MRI :D:D, and hope Truffa becomes more steady on her feet real soon. About the constipation-- on EllyAugie's thread somebody said a little canned pumpkin will firm up poop, and a lot will cause diarrhea. :eek:

Wishing you the best with becoming a Holistic Pet Consultant, you'll do great. :) And please don't feel for one minute judged about your treatment plan for Truffa. You are a GREAT Mom, and doing everything you can for her. Chinese meds, herbs, supplements, alternative therapies (should be mainstream, IMO), you have her best interests at heart. Ok Marcela? Luv you, and our thoughts and prayers are with you both,

Jane and Franklin xx
________
Vaaapp Vaporizer (http://essentialvaaappvaporizer.com)

Truffa's Mom
12-28-2009, 05:35 AM
Thank you Leslie and Jane.

The canned pumpkin worked like a miracle. The air at night in our bedroom was very "heavy"? but we all survived and this morning : the number 2 make his appearance in our back yard.

The pumpkin was a total hit, even Nina had to have a little sample and everyone was wondering how the same product could work at both ends of the digestive problem.... the magic of nature was explained.

The UTI got a little out of control today, but I hope is just because I wasn't here like a hawk 24/7; external circumstances came into play (a friend, MALE- of my hubby was suppose to be helping, but.... I don't want to talk about it anymore, let's just say that now deep carpet cleaning and wood floor inspection would be on my tomorrow list).

Today I gave her a motion sickness medication, since her head is a little bit tilted and sometimes when she stands up she seems dizzy; but she is listening to me when I said to her to take it slow.

Will keep you posted. Thank you everybody

Harley PoMMom
12-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi Marcela,

YAAA!!! We got poop today!!! :p:D Yellow pee and nice formed poop...these things we do get very excited about...what can ya say, we are cushing pup parents. :rolleyes: ;) :)

Marcela, I too wish you the best of luck in attaining your goal as a Holistic Pet Consultant. I believe everyone should follow their dream and do what they are destined to do. You are a excellent Mom, and Truffa and Miss Nina are living proof of the exceptional care that you have been giving them.

Love you Marcela, Hugs to you, Truffa and Nina. (love them too!)
Lori

gpgscott
12-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Marcela,

I missed the posting about the diagnosis. Not good but could be lots worse.

Moria is one of those who actually had two episodes about two weeks apart. The first one lasted for less than an hour, she was unable to get up and could not even hold her head upright, Vandy took her at once to the Dr. and by the time she arrived she had recovered.

The second one was horrible, funny thing is she was scheduled to be seen by the specialist on a Monday morning and on the Sunday before she had the second episode and we were convinced she would not last the night. It took about two weeks for her to be able to get up and walk on her own and she still has balance issues if she is startled and swings her head abruptly.

I am betting Truffa will recover just fine. Prayers and wishes for a complete recovery.

Scott

Truffa's Mom
12-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Wow Scott I didn't know, now there's four labs, all girls (Moria, Zoe, Annie and Truffa), from this forum , that i know off, with the same thing, and all of them around 12'ish -14.... how weird ha?

I learned a lot from Annie's mom, Jane. http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21478#post21478

One of the things I am doing and it seems to help is leveling Truffa's food bowl, so she doesn't have to plunge her head on it. She wasn't eating by herself and I was hand feeding her, and it's been 2 days now that I keep her bowl up, and she eats perfectly like she always had. It's just an assumption of mine and something that Annie's mom said: I think that when they lower their head, the vestibular syndrome make their heads spin or unbalance and they feel dizzy, or nauseated, like motion sickness..... I think...unless is another of their tricks to "serve them better" :rolleyes:, But for what you say about Moria's signs when she has sudden or abrupt head movement the balance is easily disturbed now.

I am giving Truffa Motion sickness medicine, leveling her food and telling her to stand up slowly, and not to jump up and down of the beds/sofas, and she lets me help her. She doesn't trust anyone else though, so she tries to jump and I arrive just on time to keep her still while her world stops to move on her head.

Now we are slowly recuperating from constipation, but the UTI is awful. I started her on antibiotics this morning (4am she had two accidents in row in our bedroom and I cleaned up until 5); my husband slept on the floor with her near the back door of my back yard, since she needed to go every 20 min. The chinese remedy works very slowly, so I decided to use the antibiotic. Hope it works because I am exhausted from all the carpet cleaning and there is fans everywhere.

But today her expression has changed, she is kind of smiling a little bit.

If I got scared with horrible symptoms for 4 -6 hours, I can not imagine how would it be to have them immobile for almost a week. I still see her struggling and shaking and then semi walking in circles and falling:eek:.....

gpgscott
12-29-2009, 06:08 PM
But for what you say about Moria's signs when she has sudden or abrupt head movement the balance is easily disturbed now.

I think all good things that you are doing Marcela, especially putting the bowl up where Truffa does not have to put her head down to get to it, a good thing for all big dogs.

The syndrome is caused by crystals in the semi-circular canals in the ears. These canals are fluid filled and have hair-like structures. The motion of the fluid about these 'hairs' is what orient most mammals, we included. As we age crystals can from in the fluid and touch these 'hairs' and that is what sets off the reaction.

I have an elder friend who had an episode at about 75 and to cure him they strapped him to a table and put it through a series of motions timed a certain way to move the crystals away from the 'hairs'. It worked.

eta, But yes, as you have pointed out Moria has never completely recovered and it is important to note that this is not unusual. I think what happens with dogs is they just become accustomed to it, but the crystals still remain. I have not heard of anyone who tries to re-distribute the crystals with a dog like is done with humans.

Scott

littleone1
12-29-2009, 06:47 PM
I hope Truffa's condition will improve, Marcela. You are doing such a good job of taking care of her.

Buffaloe
12-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi Marcela,

I just wanted to say that I think you made the right decision to not put Truffa through a bilateral adrenalectomy. It is such a big surgery, a huge surgery really, and would have undoubtedly been very hard on her. You are doing an outstanding job with Truffa in every way.

That is great news that her blood pressure is down around 120.

I've used pumpkin with Shiloh from time to time and it seems to help, along with rice and chicken, which she loves.

I sure do agree with your vet about letting Truffa go at her own pace. She knows what she's doing and there's no reason to push her. I never push Shiloh at all. They've both earned her spurs.

It sounds like Truffa is already recovering pretty well and I'm confident that her recovery will continue nicely. All the best from Shiloh and me.

Ken

zoesmom
12-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Marcela - With Zoe, I found that having her lie down first and then putting her food between her front legs made it easier for her to eat. Not sure how she's eating now at the petsitters - standing up with food elevated on her bin (what we usually do) or still lying down. But she seemed to be able to make her mouth go into the bowl easier with having it that close to her face. Sounds like both our old girls are making progress and not yet ready to throw in the towel. Hope you're having great holidays at your house and give Miss Truffa and extra big hug from me and slurpy kiss from Zoe. Sue

Annie's Mom
01-04-2010, 11:12 PM
So happy to hear that Truffa is making improvements! Elevating the food and water bowls definitely helps, as does hand feeding if they are struggling to eat on their own. It took Annie about a month to comfortably eat out of the bowl on her own. Very interesting info that Scott posted. I didn't know the details of what causes vestibular. Wish the human therapy was used on dogs... Vestibular is also coined "old dogs disease" so it makes sense that many elder dogs are diagnosed with it. In April 2009, I had 2 friends with 12 yr old dogs diagnosed with it. Crossing fingers, toes and paws that Truffa continues to improve.
Barb

corgipallie
01-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Marcela, thinking of you and hoping Truffa continues to improve. You are a wonderful mom and taking such good care of her.

John II
01-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Dear Marcela,

I hope Truffa continues to get better.
My thought and prayers are with you,

Franklin'sMum
01-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey Marcela,

How's Truffa doing? Hoping for improvement for your beautiful girl. Belly rubs to Truffa and Miss Nina,

Jane and Franklin xx
________
Lamborghini Cala (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/Lamborghini_Cala)

Harley PoMMom
01-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Hey Marcela,

Where O Where are our Truffa and Miss Nina updates? :confused::(:p;):):eek::D

Love ya,
Lori

zoesmom
01-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Marcela ----

Back home and looking for an update on Truffa muffin. How's she doing? Zoe is making good improvement and I hope Truffa is too. Sue

Truffa's Mom
07-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Truffa is in pretty bad shape, I had to hospitalize her on Wednesday July 14, to give her fluids and intravenous pain medication. She was perfectly "fine" considering her age and all health issues, and then on Monday she started vomiting, I withdraw the food, she didn't want any anyway :( - and she didn't drink water. On Tuesday she began having problems getting up and pooped laying down, then in the afternoon the diarrhea started. Maybe I am wrong with days, I can't think very straight right now; but after I took her to the vet, her liver enzymes were through the roof and the other tests weren't so bad as you would expect; on thursday we did the US which showed both adrenals were very big, but the liver was OK, pancreas OK...maybe the gallbladder was big and of course her bladder was enormous.

For the first time in her whole life she doesn't want anything to eat, and she doesn't want to urinate, and she doesn't walk (her back legs refuse to work for her).

I have cried the whole day yesterday, but I feel like she is saying to me she is ready to go, and we always talked about not letting her suffer, well here we are, one day perfectly OK, the next day like a big black cloud has dug everything away.

I thought this was a pancreatitis...but no. She is right now with me at home. She is quite comfortable now, and her face looks kind of peaceful. I am giving her medication for the pain, she's been drinking a little bit and she only receives the pain medication covered on her pill pockets or flavor duh and mango ice cream, none of the other food that she loves.

By the look on her face today I know is the right decision : I am letting her go, on her terms, she always did whatever she wanted , today at the end of our terrestrial journey, the rules are still made by her, I am just her humbling mom, no more pain, no more uncomfortable, no more pocking, no more tests or visits to the hospital.

Last night I did a Goodbye ceremony for her and my mom and two sisters were on Skype, and they talked to her and she saw their faces. Probably around 2-3pm will have to be at the vets office for our last kiss goodnight. Please think of me and send me lots of strength, I am going to need to hold my tears and help my devastated husband and my baby girl transition into her rainbow bridge as peaceful as possible.

We just had another mini spoons of mango ice cream, and her oreo carob cookies that I just got for her because they were launching the new products with double filling in creamy carob and creamy vanilla!!! You have to have that!!!:D. Nina is very worried but she is loving the cookies also. She has kissed Truffa several times on her nose, and she smells her whole body and trembles while doing it....so you see my personal canine vet is telling me that something is very wrong.

I don't have enough words to describe all the gratitude and huge amount of love and support that I felt with all of you. All because of Truffa. I know I haven't been a very good member at K9cushings lately because I appear and disappear, but be certain that although I haven't posted as much as before, all of you and all the lovely pets that surrounded all of your journeys, are always and forever be in my heart.

Truffa would certainly and finally will meet with Zoe, Moria, Bailey, Pallie, Nikki, Pebbles, Sabre, Katrina, Snoopy, and all the K9cushings and other family members that are waiting for her at the Rainbow bridge.

I will post later. For now please light a candle for us and send me tons of strength

Withh all my Love Marcela.

Harley PoMMom
07-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Oh Marcela,

My dear friend, I am so sorry to read your post about beautiful Truffa. We are here for you and your family, always know that, we love you very much.

I am going now to light a candle for you both...keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and ((((hugs))))
Lori

lulusmom
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Marcela, it is always nice to hear from you but am so sorry that this time you are sharing such sad news. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, Truffa, Nina and the rest of the family.

Godspeed sweet Truffa.

Glynda

Squirt's Mom
07-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh Marcela,

My silver-winged angel, how my heart bleeds for you.

You have walked every step of Truffa's incredible journey with her and now you must take these most difficult of steps. But just as every step before was taken with the deepest of love and devotion, so is this one.

As you accompany Truffa to The Bridge and watch her cross, try to hold onto the knowledge this is just a temporary change. One day, we will hold our precious babies in our arms once again, cover their faces with kisses and never fear being parted.

Words are so empty....Marcela, I am holding you in my heart and arms with all the love and strength I have to offer.

Big ole teary heart-aching hugs and much love...

Spiceysmum
07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Marcela,

Thinking of you and your family. God Bless.

Linda and Spicey x

bkdice
07-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh Marcela... I am so sorry.... It's my boy's one year angel day today and I can tell you that I feel your pain in my heart so much. Be strong for your baby and know that she knows all your choices are made out of pure love. My heart breaks for you and the position you are in thought. Sending you lots of love and hugs.

littleone1
07-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news, Marcela. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Truffa will now be free from pain and suffering. RIP sweet Truffa. Godspeed. You are now free to enjoy life once more .

Carol G
07-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Marcela,

I'm so sorry -- my thoughts are with you.

Carol

frijole
07-16-2010, 04:53 PM
This is such sad news and I am so sorry. I know this is a hard time for you ... just know we are here for you now and always. Will keep you in our thoughts. Kim

mytil
07-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Marcela,

My heart truly aches for you and I am so sorry.

Sending you (((((hugs)))) today. We are all here for you.
Terry

Roxee's Dad
07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Dear Marcela,
I am so very sorry, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Truffa.

Peace to you sweet Truffa.

BestBuddy
07-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Marcela,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong for Truffa.

Jenny

Dollydog
07-16-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm so sorry Marcela....my Lady is there to welcome Truffa along with all the other k9 Cushings buddies who have crossed over the Bridge. Godspeed sweet Truffa,
(((HUGS)))
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel & Victoria

SachiMom
07-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Prayers of strength for you, Marcela, to help you through this most difficult time. Doing the right thing is not easy.

Godspeed Truffa.

Sending mega (((((HUGS)))))
~Mary Ann

Squirt's Mom
07-16-2010, 10:48 PM
If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep;
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
But don't let grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years;
What is to come can hold no fears.
You don't want me to suffer so
The time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
But please stay with me 'til the end
To hold me close and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,
It was a kindness done for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I'm saved.

Please do not grieve that it was you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

(--Author Unknown--)

corgipallie
07-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Dearest Marcela,
You always had the right words for me when Pallie crossed the bridge. And now I just can't find the right words to tell you how much my heart aches for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am here with you and sending you love and peace.

Steph, Apollo, Gypsy and Angel Pallie

John II
07-16-2010, 11:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear this, my thoughts and prayers are with you Marcela :-(

SasAndYunah
07-17-2010, 02:24 AM
I am so very sorry, Marcella. Thinking of Truffa, you and yours, sending you all the strength and courage you may need.

Saskia and Yunah.

mypuppy
07-17-2010, 07:42 AM
God Bless you and Truffa. Tight hugs. Jeanette and Princess

maggiebeagle
07-17-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm thinking of you this morning.

zoesmom
07-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Oh, Marcela. My heart fell when I saw your post. I can't even begin to think of the right words. My tears are flowing like yours and I can't even see the screen. Just give our dear sweet Truffa an extra hug from her Aunty Sue. Zoe will be there for her. Sue

Bichonluver3
07-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Healing thoughts & prayers to you & Truffa. We will be waiting to hear. Hopefully, you will never go through this again.
Love and a million tail wags,
Carrol & Chloe

Casey's Mom
07-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Marcela, words are so hard to find to express my deepest sympathy for you and your family. Dear sweet Truffa, love and many hugs being sent from us to you.

Franklin'sMum
07-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Dearest Marcela,

I am so sorry. Sending you and yours the strength needed to help Truffa cross to the Bridge.
All my love,
Jane xx (((HUGS)))

Squirt's Mom
07-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Continuing to hold you in my thoughts and prayers. I know the grief and pain are almost too great to bear just now, but please know you are not alone. That raw, gaping wound will begin to heal in time. Til then, just hang on; one second at a time if need be.

Huge hugs,

bgdavis
07-19-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Farewell, Master, yet not farewell. Where I go, you too, shall dwell.
I am gone before your face, a moment's time, a little space.
When ye come where I have stepped, ye will wonder why ye wept.

-Edwin Arnold

Bonnie and Angel Crissy

Bichonluver3
07-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Oh, Marcela, I am so sorry to hear this news. I think, I probably posted my last message after the fact. My heart is breaking for you and all my love and prayers are with you. You were so wonderful and strong at the end for Truffa. She must have felt so loved. I'm sure all that love made her feel secure to cross the bridge to see all her friends. May she run like the wind through the fields of heaven.
God bless,
Much love and hugs,
Carrol & Chloe

bkdice
07-19-2010, 11:21 PM
just wanted to say i am thinking of you. i know the pain in your heart is so heavy right now. be kind to yourself and may some good memories help bring you some smiles through the tears.

brandysmom
07-20-2010, 07:09 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss of Truffa. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Truffa's Mom
07-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Thank you to all of you, I will write to all of you personally later, because with your kind words, poems and comforting wisdom, you have touched my heart and soul. Right now the pain is too raw and I am not ready.

For now I will post something that has helped me a lot; the lovely person who helped me with all the final arrangements for Truffa, introduced to me the following poem when my baby's soul was leaving her body and I was on the floor, pouring my tearful soul over her still warm head.

http://www.thedashmovie.com/linda (http://www.thedashmovie.com/linda)

The Dash Poem, by Linda Ellis

"I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end

He noted that first came the date of her birth
And spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years

For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not how much we own;
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard.
Are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left,
That can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what’s true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read
With your life’s actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?

marie adams
07-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Marcela,
So many good words to help you through this time. I love the "dash" because it does represent our time in between. I know when Maddie's time comes I will remember this because I am doing it already.

So now with tears in my eyes - bless you through your journey to come remembering all the dash times with Truffa. <3 :)

labblab
07-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Dear Marcela,

I am so deeply sorry to read about Truffa's passing. I had been traveling and away from my computer at the time you posted your sad news. So I am just now catching up, and want you to know that my heart and thoughts are with you and your family. The decision to release is so difficult and so painful. But it is a decision that is made out of love and gratitude for the gifts that are given to us so willingly by our beloved furbabies throughout their lives.

Losing Truffa is a loss to our entire family here. But she will always be honored and celebrated by us all.

Knowing how hard it must have been, thank you so much for telling us what has happened. And thank you for allowing us to offer you our comfort and warm thoughts -- always.

With huge hugs, always in loving memory of your beautiful girl ~
Marianne

JacksMom
07-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Dear Marcela,

I know the pain you are going through. I lost my best friend, my girl to complicated cushing's also. Take comfort in knowing that she is no longer suffering. But allow yourself to grieve too. You lose a piece of yourself whenever you lose someone you love. Take the time grieve the loss of Truffa and celebrate her life. She will always be watching over you now.

~Dawn

gpgscott
07-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Marcela,

I am sorry that I am late in knowing about your loss of Truffa.

God bless you all.

Letting them go is often our last act of love for them here.

Even in the pain.

Scott

Sabre's Mum
07-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Marcela

I am truly sorry for your loss of your darling Truffa. My thoughts are with you .

Angela and Flynn ... and our dearly departed Sabre

apollo6
07-22-2010, 01:11 AM
I read about your loss. May Truffa have peace. The dash is so true.
Sending warm wishes your way and wishing you comfort in your sorry.
Sonja and Apollo.

bkdice
07-22-2010, 08:17 AM
thank you for sharing that poem... i loved it.

Franklin'sMum
07-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Dearest Marcela,

Thinking of you at this very sad time, and wishing you find some measure of comfort. Truffa was very lucky to have you as her mum.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, huge hugs to you all,
Deepest sympathies,
Jane, Franklin and Bailey xxx

AllisonJ
07-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Dear Marcela,

I always enjoyed the wonderful words you had for Truffa. She was a very lucky lab to have you! My heart breaks for you as it does for my own baby I lost today. God speed baby labs!

Hugs to all,
Allison

Truffa's Mom
07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Today I am going to have an online a Candle Pet ceremony for Truffa.
It's a non denominational ceremony just to honor furbabies that have passed away. Because all of you have had so much influence in our lives and we all share this profound respect and love for our pets, I'd love to invite you all to this ceremony.

You don't have to go online, if you don't want to. Just your thoughts would be of great solace for me....and probably one lighted candle :) ....I love candles and Truffa was always surrounded by them.

If you go online you'll have to have the last version of Java.
http://www.java.com/en/

Here are the links for the ceremony. And again God bless you all and thank you for all your kind words.

(Allison, I am very sorry, very sorry, I'll visit your thread later)

The posting has been placed on the Tribute List for this upcoming Monday Night's Ceremony, July 26, 2010 at 10 pm Eastern Time.

To visit the Tribute List go to:

http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/CandleLighting_Tribute/Tribute_Room.aspx.

The online ceremony takes place in the Monday Night Candlelighting room at:

http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/CandleLighting_Tribute/Monday_Candlelighting.htm

To visit the Monday Night Candlelighting Ceremony Home Page go to:

http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/CandleLighting_Tribute/default.htm

Know that grief is not measured in time but when the heart is dry of tears and your mind comes to acceptance, you will begin to heal. Meanwhile, you are not alone.

My prayers are with you Marce & Wa. We are here for you should you need support.

Blessings,
Ginny

Ginny (Fificat) Brancato
Founder - Rainbowsbridge.com

Bichonluver3
08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
What a wonderful thing to do for Truffa. I hope that it also gave you some measure of peace. I can just picture Truffa running and playing and having a grand ol' time!
Love,
Carrol & Chloe

Squirt's Mom
11-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Hugs!!! and much love.

Truffa's Mom
04-30-2013, 01:34 AM
Today April 29 is my baby's Birthday, Happy birthday my sweet Truffa. I love you with all my heart, I still can't talk about you without breaking and choking on my own tears. Thank you for all your love, all the wisdom you taught me and for being my angel everytime that I need you, I know that the invisible cord that ties your heart with mine is always there, but I really miss laying my heart against yours and lean my head against yours and smell the sweet breath of your chocolate soul. Until we meet again. Nina and Daddy also miss you.

Happy Birthday my sweet love.

Squirt's Mom
04-30-2013, 08:10 AM
awww...Happy Birthday, sweet Truffa. You brought so much joy and love to so many during your time here...and led your sweet mom to a path that allows her to share that love with many more. You have never been and never will be forgotten, precious one.

Harley PoMMom
04-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Happy Birthday, sweet Truffa. Thinking of you and your mom today, dear Truffa. Marcela, sending you huge and loving hugs, Lori

mytil
05-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Happy Birthday sweetie pie Truffa! Bigs (((((hugs))))) to you Marcela!
Terry

mypuppy
05-01-2013, 06:22 AM
Oh Marcela,

Happy Belated Birthday to your sweet, heart and soul baby Truffa. Your girl took a great part of you when she crossed, that's for sure. She will forever be a part of you, and with you always.

Happy Birthday precious Truffa. Mommy is celebrating you every single day.

Tight hugs and love Marcela.

We love you...xo Jeanette and lots of choco kissies from the Princess

doxiesrock912
05-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Marcela,
I am so sorry for your loss but glad to know that you are a responsible mom. Making that decision was likely one of the most difficult things to do!!!!

You know in your heart what is best for Truffa and she couldn't have had a better family.

molly muffin
05-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Awww, Happy Birthday Truffa. Your memory and love lives on forever in the hearts of those you touched.

Sharlene

Squirt's Mom
05-02-2013, 08:44 AM
I got a message from Marcela this morning that Nina suddenly became very ill last nite and is in the hospital. They suspect a ruptured spleen. :(

Please say a prayer or three for our sweet girl, Nina, and her mom, Marcela.

Thanks,
Leslie

Harley PoMMom
05-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Thank you, Leslie, for letting us know about Nina.

I will be keeping Nina and Marcela in my thoughts and prayers, please do keep us updated.

doxiesrock912
05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Oh how scary!

Sending many, many prayers for Nina and Marcella.

molly muffin
05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Oh no :( I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope it isn't anything ruptured. Healing thoughts and prayers to your family and Nina especially.

hugs,
Sharlene and Molly Muffin

Squirt's Mom
05-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Marcela said Nina is in surgery now. I'll let you know as I do. Keep the prayers coming!

Mel-Tia
05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Lots of positive mojo and prayers from this side of the world

Squirt's Mom
05-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Nina is out of surgery. A mass on the spleen caused the bleeding and they removed all the spleen. She lost 2 of 7 liters of blood. :( Marcela will be able to go see her for a bit later this evening. Thanks and keep 'em coming!

Harley PoMMom
05-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the update, Leslie, and please let Marcela know we are keeping Nina and her in our thoughts and prayers. Sending them huge and loving hugs, Lori

molly muffin
05-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Oh my, that is so much blood to lose :( Many prayers for the entire family and Nina. We'll be right here.

hugs, Sharlene

Truffa's Mom
05-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Thank you very much my Cush angels and my sweet friend Leslie for rounding up the troops. I'm exhausted, but I already visited my baby girl, even when her vet told me " I don't see the point, she is still out of it, she won't notice you are here"

Well let me tell you, even with the morphine, the anhestesia and all the discomfort she might be feeling, she knew that I was there. So thank you again to this awesome group of people who has taught me that no matter if I am in front of the Mister PHD nobel prize vet of the world telling me some none sense, I should always do what my heart and my pet are telling me to do.

I'm sure I saved Nina's life yesterday, acting fast and because I knew in my heart that something was very wrong and she needed immediate attention. So healthy or with a chronic disease like cushings, knowing our pets, it's the best advisor we could have on our side.

Thank you, thank you very much.

The results of the biopsy will be ready next week. I'll let you know what happens. For now lets hope that my baby has a good night sleep, and can come home tomorrow.

molly muffin
05-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Momma's always know best when it comes to their babies. :)
I hope that Nina had a good night. Healing thoughts and prayers.

hugs,

Squirt's Mom
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I hope Nina had a restful night, as did you, and that she is up and much stronger this morning, soon ready to come home to your loving arms where she belongs.

Hugs and gentle belly rubs,
Leslie and the gang

Squirt's Mom
05-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Just heard from Marcela and Nina is HOME! :cool::cool::cool:

molly muffin
05-04-2013, 09:45 AM
That is wonderful! Thanks for the update Leslie. Keeping Nina in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

hugs,

Harley PoMMom
05-04-2013, 10:34 AM
WooHoo!! Nina is home!!! That is great news!!

doxiesrock912
05-04-2013, 11:58 AM
That's awesome! I hope that she recovers well!

mypuppy
05-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Marcela,
So sorry to hear about your Nina, but extremely glad she is back home with her loving mommy, as it should be. I know she is getting round the clock special care and loving.

Feel better Nina. Thinking of you and mommy always.

xo Tight hugs...Jeanette and your choco girl Princess

NoonelovesmelikeNorman
05-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Happy to hear Nina is ome with you...praying for continued progress

Sharon Norman and Millie

Squirt's Mom
05-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Dear family,

The path report from the tumor is in and I have some sad news from Marcela this morning. :(

...unfortunately we got the worst news. Nina has an hemagiosarcoma and there's nothing to do about it. Usually they survive for 8 months, max a year. Nina will be just 9 years old in june... Liver or lungs is what is attacked afterwards. The vet is going to consult with an oncologist on friday and she'll let me know. For now I'm just really scared, angry and very sad. Nina is happy as always, full of life, I'll have to pick up from her energy and will Start from there. I know that somewhere it will be a lesson to be learn, as it was with Truffa.

Please keep them in your prayers, send all the positive, healing energies you can.

I love you, Marcela, and love that sweet Nina. This is just so unfair. :(
Hugs,
Leslie and the gang

lulusmom
05-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi Marcela,

I am so sorry to hear this bad news about Nina. I feel like somebody punched me in the gut, yet again. Just when I think I could cry no more, I come here to find that somebody I love is hurting and it's waterworks again. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious Nina.

(((Huge Comforting Hugs)))
Glynda

Simba's Mom
05-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Sending hugs and prayers...

Harley PoMMom
05-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh Marcela,

I am so sorry to hear this news and you and Nina are in my thoughts and prayers. Sending you huge and loving hugs, Lori

doxiesrock912
05-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Oh no Marcela!!!
Maybe the oncologist will have some options for you. General vets don't know everything. Praying and crossing my fingers dear!

molly muffin
05-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this for Nina and for you and your family.
I hadn't heard of it before so went looking around the net. I did find this on the wiki page

On September 10, 2012, Dorothy Cimino Brown and Jennifer Reetz , two doctors from University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine were published in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 384301, 8 pages doi:10.1155/2012/384301 for a research article on "Single Agent Polysaccharopeptide Delays Metastases and Improves Survival in Naturally Occurring Hemangiosarcoma" The study found that the mushroom extract "I'm-Yunity" used in the study is able to delay the progression of metastases and provide the longest median survival times reported to date.

This is a link to the study that you can read:
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownloads.hindawi.com%2Fjournals% 2Fecam%2F2012%2F384301.pdf&ei=RA6MUbe9EMXnyAGklIH4Dw&usg=AFQjCNEmkMo6Qq_a5L71NaH1lber8PbAkA&bvm=bv.46340616,d.aWc
Maybe something to mention to your specialist if they don't have any other ideas. Leslie can you send this to Marcella for me, just in case.

hugs,

Truffa's Mom
05-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Thank you Sharlene, Valerie, Glynda, Lori, Simba's mom and my sweet angel Leslie. I'm sti l kind of paralyzed in a state of disbelief , denial prob..'m usually very good under pressure and I can summerge myself into my computer researching in all my bookmarks about health issues in pets and all types of studies all around the world...but I know that if I do that it will be real. As I told Leslie I'll have to slap myself to snap out of this state and then I'll have to inhale Nina's energy and of course let my soul be fueled by the good energy of my wonderful friends here at Canine Cushings. I feel so blessed to have you all in my life.
Another dearest friend from this group also gave me helpful info, so I'll be checking out. Sharlene thank you very much, ill .read the document for sure. Another good news is that near where I am right now, there is a veterinary cancer center, it's in Santa Fe which is 90 minutes away from Taos, and they practice both traditional and alternative therapies, so maybe we are in the right place. I 'll start evaluating all our options soon. Again a thousand thanks to all of you, and of course tgank you Truffa, Squirt, Lulu, Harley and all your furry babies.

mytil
05-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Dearest Marcela,

I am so incredibly sorry. My heart is with you and Nina. Have you had a chance to talk to Bettina? I know she has been through a lot when Niko was diagnosed. Please keep us posted.

Big ((((((hugs))))))
Terry

SoggyDoggy
05-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Marcela, I am so sorry to hear this news, completely not fair. Why is it that the sweetest things in our lives have to go through so much? You and Nina will be in my thoughts. Take care.

bgdavis
05-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Marcela,

When I first read about a possible rupture of Nina's spleen, I thought, "Oh, no! That sounds like hemangiosarcoma." I lost an 8 yr. old Eskie to it back in 2004.

I'm so sorry that this is Nina's diagnosis. I hope the doctors can extend her life and find a way to help her.

Hugs,
Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Truffa's Mom
05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Thank you Bonnie, Naomi and Terry.
Terry I'll try to contact Bettina.
I haven't heard from my vet and the consult with the oncologist yet. At least I'm already starting to read the links you gave to me and started moving from my paralyzed state.::))

Squirt's Mom
05-14-2013, 10:35 AM
How are my sweet girls this morning?