PDA

View Full Version : Frankie, 12 year old dachshund with cushing, diabetes, hypothyroidism, heart murmur

frankie
12-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi all,

I do have a 12 yr old dachshund (Frankie) who has multiple problems as you can see from the title. Heart murmur is about the stage 2 or 3 among (1(mild) to 6(severe)), and it's been several years with Enalapril. Hypothyroidism's been a year and controlled by soloxine.
Last month, he has been diagnosed with diabetes and PDH.

Fortunately, his cushing is pretty mild. So, I've decided to try Anipryl for a while even though it has not been so successful.
I might have to end up wasting money and time, but I just want to try it since descriptions of Lysodren and Trilostane look so scary to me.:D

Frankie is on Anipryl since this monday and has not shown any side effects so far. It could be just my imagination, but he seems more active and playful. Only problem so far is that he begs for food 24/7. Sometimes he acts like he wants to go out to attract me and bring me to where food and treats are. Since I can't give him treats too much, I started give him frozen green beans which my vet recommended. (Any other suggestions?)

I'd like to share experiences and learn more here. ;)

frijole
12-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi and welcome! Please tell us more about Frankie, yourself and the diagnosis of his diseases... since all 3 (cushings, diabetes and hypothyroidism) have similar symptoms... am wondering how each were diagnosed and in what order...Is the diabetes under control?

My dog Haley has had hypothyroidism and cushings for over 3 years and we use lysodren and she is doing great. She turns 16 in just a few days!

Lots of experience will be found here so please tell us more and we'll help in any way we can.

All the best! Kim

Harley PoMMom
12-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Hi Frankie's mom,

Welcome from me and my boy Harley. If you don't mind me asking, what's your name? We are so friendly around here, well heck we're like a family and now you're part of that family.

Now I'm going to warn you :eek::) we ask alot of questions to our new family members about their pups. :p:D But that's so we can give you the best possible advice/information concerning Frankie.

So are you ready for some questions :eek: How much does Frankie weigh? What tests were done to confirm his cushings? If there was a LDDS test and/or ACTH test done could you post these results with the units. Was a CBC or Chemistry panel done on Frankie, if so anything on there marked "high or abnormal" could you post those results with the references ranges and units also. Is Frankie taking any supplements or herbs? What symptoms led you or your vet to test Frankie for cushings? Has Frankie had an ultrasound done? Ok, that's enough questions from me, I am sure the others will be along soon to ask more. :eek::eek: bc I am sure there are some that I missed.

We have a member here who uses Anipryl and I am sure Jeff will be along shortly to give you advice about it.

Right now try to read all you can, I am including a link to our Resource Section and a link that is helpful to new members. Just remember you are not alone on this journey we are here for you and Frankie, ask all the questions you want and we will answer them as best as we can.

Helpful Resources for Owners of Cushing's Dogs
http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Links to Cushings Websites (especially helpful for new members!)
http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180

Hugs,
Lori

littleone1
12-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Corky and I also would also like to say hi and welcome you to a great bunch of people.

Corky has Cushings and hypothyroidism. He's been taking Trilostane for two months and has really been doing good on it. He has also been taking Soloxine for many years for his thyroid.

Other members will be along who have much more knowledge and experience than I do.

I hope you continue to see improvement in Frankie.

Terri

Squirt's Mom
12-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Mornin' and welcome to you and Frankie! :)

The avatar is adorable so you have to post more pics in an album soon so we can see our new little boy! As Lori said, you have now entered a new, strange, but most wonderful family and I am glad to have you with us.

My Squirt was on Anipryl for about 7 months and did well with it, in fact, she amazed all her docs she so well for so long. However, it turns out that she may not have PDH after all so that may have been why. Her first Cushing's diagnosis was put into question after a splenic tumor was found, removed, and after which her cortisol levels have returned to normal. She is being treated for another form called Atypical, which involves five other hormones but not cortisol.

I, too, was so scared of the other drugs at first but as I learned more I realized the drugs weren't the problem....the problems come about when vets don't follow long established protocols for diagnosing the disease in the first place, administering and monitoring the drugs, and a failure to educate the parents. With Cushing's, knowledge truly is power. You are Frankie's first and last defense, his only voice, his advocate; and the more you know the stronger you will be in these roles. So take your time, read all you can, and ask lots of questions; we will do all we can to help you understand. Cushing's is slow progressing condition and with Frankie's signs being mild, you have more than enough time to be prepared and fully armed when, IF, the time comes he will need stronger treatment.

Oddly, I don't have any questions to add to the list! :p But the more you can tell us about Frankie, the better it is. We just love details! But we won't get really nosy until we know you a bit better. ;):D

I know this can be scary at first, but you are not alone. We will be with you every step of the way - gently nudging when needed and always ready with strong arms and loving hearts. Don't let this get you down, a Cushing's diagnosis isn't the end...just a bump in the road that we can help you navigate. So keep your chin up and keep in touch often.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

Anipryl info*

http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overview.aspx?drug=AR&country=US&lang=EN&species=CN

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anipryl.html

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/diseasesall/a/aniprylseniors.htm

http://www.lbah.com/anipryl.htm

http://www.selegiline.com/

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Selegiline-prod10305-10305.html

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/selegiline-hcl-anipryl/page1.aspx

http://www.drugs.com/vet/anipryl-5-mg-can.html

Response from Dr. Bruyette on K9C about Anipryl:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483&page=2

jrepac
12-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Hi there Frankie's Mom!

Leslie and I are the 2 Anipryl users...I am still giving it to my Aussie terrrier, Mandy. I have been using the generic version (selegiline) as it is much less expensive. She is 12.5 years and has been on it for 14 months now. She takes it along w/several over the counter supplements (melatonin, lignans, etc) to suppress cortisol and the intermediate hormones. Her Cushings is mild and we have been doing well w/this course of treatment. Last check of cortisol 2 weeks ago came back on the low side and I was quite pleased.:)

I suggest you give it at least 3 weeks to take effect on the symptoms...for some it may take a bit longer. I noticed a positive change in about 2 weeks. Increased playfulness not surprising....anipryl can have a stimulative effect.

Over time, it should suppress excessive hunger and excessive drinking; if you are fortunate, it may also lower cortisol...for some dogs it does, others it does not. It just depends. Before treating, my Mandy was crazy hungry at all hours of the night and barking for food, and drinking way, way too much. She could not sleep thru the night. Skin problems as well. The anipryl really has made a difference in her quality of life. She has her hungry moments in the morning, but that's about it. Pretty normal otherwise. I do regulate her food; main meal in the am and a small dish of dry food midday and evening. Veggies are good for cushpups; fills their bellies w/not a lot of extra calories. I give her some sort of cooked veggies in the am w/her lowfat canned dog food. Raw veggies are good too; you may want to try baby carrots.

But, give it at least 3 weeks, maybe four and see how it goes.

Good luck to you and Frankie!

Jeff and Mandy

frankie
12-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi all, thank you so much for such warm welcoming.

I can be just called by Frankie's mom, but my real name is Sunjung.

I found his hypothyroidism end of last year by regular blood check. Btw, Frankie get's health screening (including blood works) every three months. Lately he drinked more water and had several accidents on the carpet. So, I took him to the vet and that's how we found out about diabetes and cushings.

My vet has done two tests for cushings: ACTH and the other test (i don't remember the name), and then did ultrasound. I can talk to my vet to get the test results and also the name of the other test.

One thing is...when we did the screening (just the blood check), my vet said Frankie's blood work results are very complicated. Even though they are totally opposite, it could be cushing or addison's disease. After ACTH and the other test, he confirmed that it is cushing's.

I'll post the results of the test.

For his diabetes, it is not totally controlled yet. He is on 12 units of vetsulin twice a day, but the lowest peak is still in high 200s.

I am so glad to hear Mandy is doing good with Anipryl.

I'll keep in touch. Thank you again~!!

Squirt's Mom
12-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi Sunjung,

So good to hear from you again! We will be looking forward to the test results once you can post them. That will help us a great deal. ;)

Sometimes gaining control of Cushing's will help regulate the diabetes, making it easier to control. I strongly encourage you to join our sister group, K9diabetes. You will receive much help from them in that area:

diabetes info
http://k9diabetes.com/forum

Also, here are some links to Dr. Jean Dodds, who is a thyroid expert:

Dr. Jean Dodds
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/BEHAVIOR-THYROID.HTM

http://itsfortheanimals.com/THYROID-ARTICLES.HTM

I look forward to hearing more soon!
Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

Harley PoMMom
12-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi Sunjung,

I don't know if you are aware of this or not but in November the FDA had a warning about Vetsulin. Here is a link about it and a quote from the article.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/newsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm188752.htm

FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine Alerts Veterinarians About Problems with Vetsulin® to Treat Diabetes in Dogs and Cats

November 2, 2009

The Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) and Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health are alerting veterinarians and pet owners that Vetsulin®, a porcine insulin zinc suspension used to treat diabetes in animals, may have varying amounts of crystalline zinc insulin in the formulation. Because this Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health product is out of specification it could cause a delay in insulin action and an overall longer duration of insulin activity. Products having significant problems with stability can affect the management of chronic diseases. Unstable insulin products can result in unpredictable fluctuations in the glucose levels of diabetic patients. Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health is unable to assure FDA that each batch of their product is stable

The link Leslie gave you to our sister site, k9diabetes, is truly an amazing and knowledgeable group of people. Please consider joining there also.

We really do need to see what tests were done and the results of those tests before we can give you any kind of solid advice concerning Frankie. Since your vet did an ultrasound, can you get the results of that too and post that here, please, it would really help us alot. We have a moderator here, her name is Deb, she is a lab tech. with over 29 years experience and she is used to looking at lab numbers, plus there's many years of experience and knowledge from alot of people on this forum who can help also.

Hang in there Sunjung, you are not alone on this journey we are here to help you and Frankie in anyway we can.

Hugs,
Lori

Franklin'sMum
12-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Hi Sunjung and Frankie,

A belated welcome to you both from Franklin and myself. This is an incredible group of people, with amazing knowledge and experience.
Ask heaps of questions, (they love that:)) and learn all you can.

Jane and Franklin xx
________
N42 (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_N42)

frankie
12-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi,

I got Frankie's test results.

ACTH test:
Cortisol sample 1: 7.8 (High) reference range: 1.0 - 5.0 ug/dL
Cortisol sample 2: 59.4 (High) reference range: 8.0 - 17.0 ug/dL

DEX:
Cortisol serial 4 (DEX)
Cortisol Sample 1: 2.7 reference range: 1.0 - 5.0 ug/dL
Cortisol Sample 2: 3.3 (high) reference range: 0.0 - 1.4 ug/dL
Cortisol Sample 3: 4.8 (high) reference range: 0.0 - 1.4 ug/dL
Cortisol Sample 4: 4.7 (high) reference range: 0.0 - 1.4 ug/dL

Ultra sound:
Liver/GB:The liver is mildly heterogenous and mottled. A few small well defined hyperechonic areas are noted. Overall the parenchyma was mildly attenuating. The gallbladder is unremarkable. The common bile duct is normal.
SPLEEN: Homogeneous, no distinct masses or nodules seen.
ADRENALS: Enlarged, normal shape and architecture bilaterally. The left adrenal measured approximately 1.0cm and 0.8 cm at the cranial and caudal poles respectively. The largest measurements obtained of the right adrenal gland were the same measuring approximately 1.0cm at the craninal pole and 0.8 cm at the caudral pole.
GI TRACT/PANCREAS: The pancreas is mildly diffusely hyperechonic. No addtional abnormalities are identified. The GI tract is WNL's.
KIDNEY: WNL's.
LY NODES/U.Bladder: No lymphadenopathy is seen. The urinary bladder is unremarkable.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: No ascites and no peritonitis.
CONCLUSIONS: Mottled hyperattenuating liver and bilateral adrenomegaly suspect adreal hyperplasia and steroid hepatopathy secondary to pituitary dependant hyperadrenocorticism. The mildly hyperechoic pancreas may indicated fibrosis or fatty infiltration. A more maligant infiltrative process is possible but given the normal architecture, margins and size of the pancreas this seems unlikely.

Frankie weighs about 21 lbs.

This is all I got so far.
If you know what all these mean, could you give me any advice?
Thank you so much~!!

Roxee's Dad
12-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi Sunjung,

Thank you for posting Frankies test results. It does looks like you and your vet have done your homework for Frankie. The test results do indicate a cushing's diagnosis but I have also read that diabetes can skew the results of cushing's diagnosis testing. I noticed you mentioned that the diabetes is not yet under control?

ADRENALS: Enlarged, normal shape and architecture bilaterally.

The enlargement is probably due to the adrenal glands working overtime producing excessive cortisol.

CONCLUSIONS: Mottled hyperattenuating liver and bilateral adrenomegaly suspect adreal hyperplasia and steroid hepatopathy secondary to pituitary dependant hyperadrenocorticism

This may be referring to atypical cushings. You can find information on this in our resources section:

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198

Sometimes our pups can have both pituitary cushings and atypical cushings. Atypical basically means that some of the other intermediate hormones are also being overproduced.

Have you noticed any change in Frankie since you started the anipryl treatments?

I am sure the other's as I affectionately call them with much more knowledge and experience will be along to offer their help.

frankie
12-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi Roxee's dad,

Frankie's diabetes control is almost there. Since it's been only about two months, I do know it will take some time to settle in a certain unit. I'm doing his glucose curve every sunday and gladly see improvements every week.

He's on Anipryl for last 15 days. There is no dramatic changes, but he plays more often with better energy for sure. The water consumption is not bad at all. I guess both could be possible by lowered glucose level since Anipryl needs time.

I will take a look at the site for atypical cushing.
Thank you very much~!! Merry christmas~!!

Harley PoMMom
01-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Hi Sunjung,

We haven't heard from you and Frankie for a while, and, well, we tend to get worried :eek::) so if you could, when you get time, let us know how you and Frankie are doing that would be great!!

Love and hugs,
Lori

frankie
03-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi all,

First of all, thanks to Lori for worrying about us.

I and Frankie went through many disasters last couple months.
He had heart failure all of sudden and had to be hospitalized. He was well treated and his heart and lung was okie with given medications.
On that day when he came back home from the vet, he got shocked by too low glucose level. I do not understand why it happened since he was eating the same amount of food. Anyway, he was hospitalized again for another 5 days.
Because of the crisis, we started on 5 units of Vetsulin and switched to Humilin N because my vet and I draw a conclusion that Vetsulin does not work on Frankie.
Then one day, Frankie got real sick by eating a whole bag of salmon treat while I was out. He was breathing so heavy and rapid, so I took him to the vet. Luckly it was just a tummy ache even tho the vet was suspecting possible pancreatitis.

To cut the long stry short, Frankie's diabetes is not controlled at all now because we started using Humilin N only since last Wednesday.
So far, Frankie's heart, lung, kidney, liver, and all other values are ok by blood works. I am doing my best to make things work well.
I really hope Frankie get stronger again since he is so so weak now.
Even though he wants to play with squeaky toys, he keeps on fall down since his legs are so weak which is heartbreaking for me. Sometimes, he just stares at somewhere and does not respond to me calling him.
I don't know this "weak legs" symptom due to cushing's or diabetes.

He's still on Anipryl 10mg, soloxine 0.25mg , Enalapril 5mg. On top of those, he's on Furosemide 10mg, Vetmedin 2.5mg, and Humilin N 7 units (U-100). I guess the Humilin N unit will increase until we get the BG controlled.

I'll keep update. Thank you and wish me and Frankie luck~!!

maggiebeagle
03-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Sounds like Frankie has been keeping you busy. I'll be hoping for some calmer days ahead :D.

frijole
03-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Wishing you and Frankie the best!!! Hang in there. Kim

Harley PoMMom
03-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi Sunjung,

Yes, it sure does sound like Frankie has been keeping you on your toes!

If you haven't already, please consider joining our sister site for diabetes help, their knowledge and support is amazing.

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/

Please keep us updated and the best of luck to you and Frankie.

Love and hugs,
Lori

rhodesian46
03-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I had a dog with all three endocrine disorders( hypothyriodism,diabetes and cushings) It is a balancing act and gets pretty frustrating at times. My dog was on Trilostane as the IMS thought this would be the drug of choice with all of her problems. I home tested her with a human meter and did curves every weekend till she passed.
There is a higher chance of dogs getting pancreatitus with all these diseases. And some even with a lowfat diet will get pancreatitis anyway. To have them on a low fat food is really important. Royal Canin makes a LF20 brand of dry food. It is gotten by prescription from your vet. If it is a bad case then a dog could be hospitalized and put on IV's. They are then fed a small amount of food ( such as white meat chicken) When they return home their meals are split in maybe 4 meals a day. INsulin is adjusted acco rdingly. It is real important to home test as you can see where they are at fasting and during the day.

It is not impossible to treat these dogs. I would highly suggest that Internal Medicine Specialist should be used as these dogs are hard to regulate and hard to treat.

marianne (http://caninesupportgroup.com/)

frankie
03-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Thank you all~!!
This is really helping me not to feel being alone.

Yes, Lori. I've registered to both site. k9diabetes.com is a great place too.

Frankie is currently on Hills w/d.
I know that I have to keep an eye on him not to get pacreatitis and kidney failure. So far, he is ok.

When Frankie was hospitalized by heart failure, the vet in the VSS (vetenary specialty service) mentioned that the remaining life span for a dog with given condition like Frankie is 6 to 12 month in average. I don't feel like it is enough for me and Frankie. I am doing my best to keep him feeling comfy and happy with me as long as possible.
I am checking his bg level every 6 hrs everyday. I guess I can do one cure per week once the bg level is under control.

Other than bening weak, Frankie shivers his rear legs at times. Is it normal for cushing's? I am just being curious.

- Frankie's mom

rhodesian46
03-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Why not check his Bg at fasting then mid day. Have you donea curve before on him?

frankie
03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
I do check his bg every 6 hours without missing any. I also do check his bg at the injection time, 2~3 hrs after that, 6hrs, 8~10hrs.

I've been talking to my vet every day since last Wednesday to find the right amount for Frankie.
I was really frustrated since the meter shows "High" rather than a number most of the time since last Wednesday, but it shows some number after we raised to 7.5 units last evening. So we are going to raise to 8.5 this evening and see how it improves.

Harley PoMMom
03-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Thank you all~!!
This is really helping me not to feel being alone.

You are never alone, we are here for you and Frankie always, remember that, ok. ;):)

Yes, Lori. I've registered to both site. k9diabetes.com is a great place too.

I am so very happy to read this. :D

Other than bening weak, Frankie shivers his rear legs at times. Is it normal for cushing's? I am just being curious.

Frankie's rear-hind weakness is probably from the uncontrolled Cushings and/or Diabetes. With uncontrolled Diabetes, a pup can get what is known as diabetic neuropathy. Here is a link about diabetic neuropathy from our sister site Resource Forum:

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20588&highlight=diabetic+neuropathy#post20588

The leg shivering...hmmm...could be the muscle mass loss but when was Frankie's thyroid levels checked?

- Frankie's mom

So hoping Frankie is feeling better soon, please keep us posted. ;):)

Love and hugs,
Lori

lulusmom
03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I seem to recall that your vet at some point suggested that you treat Frankie with Lysodren. Can you tell me why you and your vet chose to ultimately treat with anipryl? I ask because if you are having a difficult time getting the diabetes under control, it is likely that the anipryl is not effectively reducing the excess cortisol. Anipryl is only effective in a very small percentage of dogs that have a tumor in the pars internedia lobe of the pituitary. The law of averages says that Frankie isn't likely to have a tumor in the pars intermedia lobe either so you may want to consider discussing a more effective treatment with your vet. That's just my two cents worth.

frankie
03-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I heard that Anipryl has not been so succesful in many dogs, but I insisted to try Anipryl since it sounds more safe and not scary as other medications. Another reason is, Frankie shows little bit of alzheimer's symptoms such as looking at empty space, no response to anything at times, and caught in a small space and can't get out.
Some of these symptoms are not too serious, but I thought Anipryl can help both cushings and mild alzheimer.

Well, the matter of fact, even though we haven't done ACTH test since last november, Frankie does not seek for a cold place and not loosing any more hairs. His tummy got much smaller. <-- I guess it is due to recent crisis.

All the blood works has been done on Feb. 21st. His liver, kidney, thyroid....all the values are in normal range.

lulusmom
03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Cushing's is difficult to diagnose in a dog that doesn't have diabetes and when you throw diabetes in the mix it's really, really hard. Diabetes and cushing's share a lot of the same blood chemistry abnormalities as well as overlapping symptoms, plus diabetes can also cause false positive acth and ldds test results. It's possible that Frankie doesn't have cushing's and I suppose it's also a remote possibility that anipryl has helped reduce cortisol but there's no way to tell unless you do an acth stim test.

Anipryl is supposed to be pretty effective in improving the Alzheimers-like symptoms. Have you noticed any improvements in Frankie's cognitive functions? FYI, if your vet is confident that Frankie has cushing's and that cushing's is causing the problem, then you may want to mention to your vet that Anipryl can be safely prescribed together with Lysodren. If you opt to treat with Lysodren, many of us are intimately familiar with the drug and can help you get past your fear. This drug has been used for over 50 years and until Trilostane became avaible in recent years, Lysodren was the only effective drug for canine cushing's, or at least it was in over 80% of the cases. My 4.5 lb Pom and my 7 lb Pom mix have been on Lysodren this time around for well over a year. We started on Lysodren, switched to Trilostane and then switched back to Lysodren for a number of reasons.

Please keep us posted on Frankie.

Glynda

frankie
03-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I will ask my vet to do ACTH test once Frankie's bg level controlled.

The Alzheimer like behavior is not much improved. It is hard to say whether it is better or not since it is not so serious. The symptom is little worse when his glucose level is real high. (Does it make sense?)

Well, his bg curve starts make some sense even though it is still 300s and 400s.

frankie
03-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Hi,

I have a question.
Frankie loses his balance as he walks or stands up.
Sometimes he almost fall down from the sidewalk and I have to pick him up sometimes. Rear legs are quite weak and he put them pretty close each other when he stands.
Is it a symptom of cushing's?
Should I suspect Degenerative Myelopathy?

He's been like that a while (1~2 months), so I suspected arthritis but my vet said it is not.

Would anyone answer this?

-Frankie's mom

AlisonandMia
03-31-2010, 12:37 AM
It could be Cushing's-related weakness - this usually takes quite a while to set in in an untreated dog and comes about because high levels of cortisol cause muscle wasting. Once the cortisol levels are brought back to a more healthy level with treatment the muscle strength will return although it can take a while.

Diabetic dogs can suffer from diabetic neuropathy as a result of high BG over a period of time which can produce hind-quarter weakness too. It is usually a temporary thing that improves with good BG control although it can take a while. How has his BG been over the last couple of months?

As I understand it, dachshunds are prone to back problems which can affect their hind legs, too.

It is possible that he has more than one thing causing the back-end weakness and that two (or more) things are combining to cause the problems you are seeing.

Has your vet mentioned what he thinks it could be? If he doesn't know, maybe you could seek a second opinion, preferably from a specialist (probably an internal medicine specialist (IMS) would be best).

Alison

frankie
03-31-2010, 06:35 PM
My vet says we should go one by one to find out what really causes. It could be because of cushing's or just getting old symptom, which i don't think so.

His BG level's been pretty ok since last week. My vet says it is in ideal range.

Since Frankie got rapid and labored breathing problem since this morning, he has to be on increased amount of Lasix for one or two days. When he gets better, we'll do another ACTH test and switch to other medicine than Anipryl.

For me, Lysodren still sounds scary......:(

Squirt's Mom
03-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Sunjung,

It sounds to me as if it is time to move on to the Lyso. I am a supporter of the use of Anipryl, but it isn't usually effective for very long in most pups.

Don't be afraid of the Lyso. I was at one time but as I have learned more, it no longer scares me. You and Frankie will be just fine using it - don't forget that we are here to help you, too. :)

Hang in there and let us know what the vet says!
Hugs,
Leslie and the girls - always

frijole
03-31-2010, 08:01 PM
I totally understand and I was in the same situation - being afraid - 4 yrs ago. And now my little girl is over 16 yrs old thanks to lysodren. Once you get past the loading phase it is pretty simple. And you love the drug because it gives you your dog back. And I know that is what you want. If I can do it - you can too! :D

Besides, we will be here for you the whole time and help you. I agree, do the acth to see where you are. Not sure if there is a wash out (waiting) period before you can begin on lysodren but make sure to check on that.

Hugs, Kim

frankie
05-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Thank you for your support. :)

After discussion with my vet due to the complex situation (Heart problem, hypothyroidism, and diabetes), today is Frankie's 2nd day on Trilostane (30mg once a day).

So far, I do not see any outstanding side effects.

Since I know you are experts, I want to make sure whether Trilostane is safe for Frankie. It says Trilostane is not for dogs with liver and kindney disease, and not for dogs with "certain" heart medication.
Frankie's on two types of heart mediciation: Vetmedin and Enalapril.
My vet says Trilostane would be safer for Frankie, but I would like to make sure.

Harley PoMMom
05-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Trilostane has the ability to lower the aldosterone levels in our pups. The two medications that Frankie is taking for his heart: Vetmedin and Enalapril; Enalapril has the same ability also, it can lower the aldosterone level.

The aldosterone is what balances the electrolytes in our pups body, mainly the sodium and potassium is what we look at, so it is very important that you have Frankie's electroltyes checked. This should be done when you have a stim test performed. Have you had Frankie's electrolytes checked recently?

I am so hoping the Trilostane helps Frankie feel much better.

Love and hugs,
Lori