PDA

View Full Version : It's a girl! :-)

corgipallie
11-14-2009, 07:01 PM
I'd like to introduce my new little girl, Gypsy! I'll get to her name in a little bit.

She's 14 months old and is a sable/white pembroke welsh corgi. She's 22 lbs and boy does she have big paws to fill!

She was adopted when she was 12 weeks old and lived with a woman and her 3 other corgis for about 8 months, but the lady just couldn't handle that many and none of her females were fixed so there were some temperament issues. I want to think she was in the wrong home from the get go. She just needed a place to live until I found her. And we both got lucky! She was returned 3 weeks before I found her and I've had her for a few weeks on a trial run to make sure Apollo and her got along. Things are going great. He is a little jealous of some of the attention she gets while I housebreak her, teach her to play, and get through her spay recovery. He is doing great though.

Honestly, I don't know if I'm really ready for another corgi. I still miss Pallie like you wouldn't believe and miss her every minute of every day. But in my heart I know I need a corgi. Pallie and I had our talks and I told her that (and she knew that) part of my life's purpose is to be a mom to a corgi. A lot of other things are trivial to me. Having a corgi in my life is a necessity. My soul needs a corgi to heal, move on, and be happy and I am!

Pallie and I also talked about how I had to continue what we had together. I know the bond we have will never be replicated, but Pallie taught me so much and I have to continue what she left for me. In our talks, we picked out a name together. Gypsy. And no other name would do.

She's named after the Fleetwood Mac song. I am a huge fan of Stevie Nicks (who wrote the song) anyway. For those who don't know the song, it's not about a gypsy as in a wandering person. Gypsy is a metaphor for going back to the person you were at a certain point in time. Stevie's gypsy was going back to the days she lived in the Haight in San Francisco to the days she knew when she was in college long before Fleetwood Mac. To me, my gypsy is going back to the 12 years I had with Pallie. It's saying that I loved her so much I never want to forget and I want to live it all over again. And when Pallie was sick, there's a line in the song that I kept repeating to myself and to her: "I have no fear, I have only love." Those were the words I lived by when I knew our time together was getting shorter and shorter. I knew what the end result was going to be and I had to be strong. I had to give her all of my love. She had to leave this earth knowing I had nothing but love for her. Dogs can sense fear so easily in their humans. I didn't want Pallie to sense that at all - just love. There are also a few other lyrics that fit too, like "lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice and it all comes down to you" (Pallie was my first bolt of light and I hope to be lucky enough to get a second) and "her memory is all that's left for you know, you see your gypsy."
Anyway, if you listen to the song you'll hear how it really is a tribute to what Pallie and I will always have together and I'm lucky enough to have realized it before she left so we could talk about it. Having her hear that name come from my voice makes me feel closer to her through Gypsy. Everytime I say her name, I know Pallie heard me say the same word.

She has a very sweet personality and loves to cuddle and loves to play with a few toys too. She starts obedience school on Nov 30 and would make a great agility dog too! This girl flies!! She is going to be fun. She's adjusting very well and the best thing is that she's 100% healthy!! Her vet checks, blood work, etc is all great. She deserves to be healthy and I also deserve a healthy girl. I hope she stays healthy for a very long time.

Ok so I've written enough.
Here are some photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/calypsocorgi/?saved=1

Love,
Steph, Apollo, Gypsy and Pallie forever

acushdogsmom
11-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Oh, you're definitely ready for Gypsy. :) Just like I needed (and found) another Bichon in my life, I totally get the wherefore and the why you need another Corgi in yours.

And I am crying (happy tears, I promise) right now and Pallie is surely smiling and so happy that you have found your Gypsy and that she'll have the best home and the best life that it's possible for any Corgi to have. I wouldn't be surprised if Pallie actually had something to do with you finding Gypsy when and how you did.

The pictures are amazing. I always love all of the pics you post. :D

many (((hugs))) to you and Apollo and Gypsy

(OMG she is sooo cute!)

Squirt's Mom
11-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi Sweetie!

You know what a wonderful person I believe you are and you certainly do deserve all the love you can find...both to give and receive! Gypsy couldn't have found a better mom or home and I hope ya'll are all just happy as can be for a very, very long time!

Huge hugs and much love,
Leslie and the girls

BestBuddy
11-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Steph,
She is absolutely adorable. Gypsy has found her place in time and it is you. Pallie would be so proud.
Jenny

Roxee's Dad
11-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Steph,

This is just so cool! I am so happy for you and Gypsy :D . Thanks so much for sharing a feel good story. Pallie will be Gypsy's gaurdian angel for sure. :)

Dollydog
11-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Steph,
Happy tears here too, especially for you, but also for Gypsy and Apollo.
You truly are a remarkable young woman and as I've said before, a great inspiration for me. ;) I'll have to check out the song and it's lyrics.
Looking forward to more photos and good luck at dog obedience classes. She is adorable and such a blessed dog to be part of your family.
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel :)

gpgscott
11-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Photo's?? When did you learn to use a camera:p

I am sure Pallie is very happy and I know Gypsy will be.

Scott

MiniSchnauzerMom
11-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Awwwwwwwwww.....Steph, I'm so happy that you and Gypsy found each other. She's so cute. :D Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Louise

sarahbera1
11-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Steph,
Congratulations to you and Gypsy, she is adorable!! :) I'm so happy for you!
Sarah, Rascal and Darla in Spirit

Harley PoMMom
11-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi Steph,

Awww...this is great news and I am so very happy for you and Gypsy. You're such a wonderful, caring and loving person, and I am so glad that you two have found each other. I love the pictures, and her ears...adorable.

Love and hugs.
Lori

lulusmom
11-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Steph,

I am sorry to be so late in congratulating you and I have no idea how I missed your fabulous story. I love the pics but your story had me crying my eyes out.

Cushy figured out that I missed your post and pointed me in the right direction. Boy am I glad she did cuz your story is amazing, your heart is as big as the moon and I suspect that Pallie will be playing a big part in helping Ms. Gypsy get settled into her new forever home.

I wish you, Gypsy and Apollo many, many years of happiness. In the meantime, I'll be looking forwarding to your progress reports on Gypsy and how she is doing both at home and in class. She is a cutie for sure!!!!

Hugs to you all,
Glynda

labblab
11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Dear Steph,

I've been holding off writing since you first posted your wonderful news, because what you wrote has brought up so many thoughts and feelings for me -- and I've not been able to express them in words. I'm still not "there" yet, but I do not want to wait any longer to at least congratulate you all: you, Gypsey, Apollo, and most certainly Spirit Pallie. :) :) :) :)

Just like always, your photos are remarkable. But I'm especially fond of these two: you and Gypsey, and Gypsey laying on top of Apollo. When we are lucky enough to know what it means to give and receive love, we are rich beyond words. And I'm thinking that by bringing this little girl home, you've just banked yourself another trillion dollars.

Thanks so much for sharing your joyful news with us. And PLEASE continue to update us every step along the way (with Pallie's pawprint guiding all of us down the road).

Many (((hugs))),
Marianne

corgipallie
11-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Gypsy is doing ok these days -- a little rough spot but she's ok. She got spayed on Friday and had a bad GI reaction to the NSAID pain reliever. So her little colon wasn't happy and had some vomiting and diarrhea until I could get her to the vet yesterday. No more NSAIDs and she's on Flagyl for the colitis. Poop this afternoon was beautifully formed and she hasn't vomited in nearly 48 hours. So hopefully we'll get this over and done quickly so she can play and be a happy little corgi.

I can't get a break, can I?

lulusmom
11-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Gypsy is doing ok these days -- a little rough spot but she's ok. She got spayed on Friday and had a bad GI reaction to the NSAID pain reliever. So her little colon wasn't happy and had some vomiting and diarrhea until I could get her to the vet yesterday. No more NSAIDs and she's on Flagyl for the colitis. Poop this afternoon was beautifully formed and she hasn't vomited in nearly 48 hours. So hopefully we'll get this over and done quickly so she can play and be a happy little corgi.

I can't get a break, can I?

Hi Steph,

My very first dog was a toy poodle that I adopted from a friend. She was two years old and she had the same reaction when I had her spayed. She stayed under the stereo console for three days, was vomiting and had diarrhea. For the next 16 1/2 years, the only time I had to take her to the vet was for dental and shots so yes, you can catch a break.

G.

Squirt's Mom
11-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey Steph,

You have caught a break, sweetie...you and Gypsy found each other; as the Lady says, "lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice and it all comes down to you". You've been blessed with two "bolts of light", who's lives and hearts intertwined with yours at a time when the need in both of you was great. Just as Pallie saved you then, Gypsy will heal you now. You just can't stop a loving heart like yours; the outpouring of your love, devotion, and tender care for Gypsy will be returned ten-fold. And that's one h3!! of a break, darlin'! ;)

I do hope Gypsy is feeling much better this morning...nothing quite like puking just after your tummy's been sliced open. :eek::( Please keep us informed, 'k?

At least you know early in the game not to ever let her have NSAIDS! See - there's good that comes out of this. :rolleyes:;):p

Hugs and love,
Leslie and the girls

sunimist
11-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Welcome beautiful Gypsy girl! You are so adorable! You have the most wonderful mommy in the world!

Dragging up the rear here, Steph, but no less thrilled and excited over your new baby. I somehow knew in my heart this would happen soon, because Pallie didn't want to see mommy so unhappy. These special angel babies, who live on in our hearts forever, just have a way of taking care of us, whether it's finding another little soul mate to help fill the void, or just directing us in the right direction to find peace. I believe with all my heart that Pallie brought you and Gypsy together as surely as I believe Misty brought my Suni to me.

Sending tons of hugs and lots of love to you, little Gypsy and Apollo.

Shelba and Suni

clydetheboosmom
11-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Congratulations! What a lucky girl to have you as a mommy!!

Xo

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

corgipallie
11-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Gypsy is doing great now! She got her last antibiotic this morning, has had 2 normal poops in a row and is acting like she should be except she can't because she still has stitches. She should get them out in a few days so she'll be happy to run around again. Here's to a healthy long life... cheers!

Roxee's Dad
11-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi Steph,
Great news, glad she is doing better. :) Cheers :D

Harley PoMMom
11-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi Steph,

So happy that Gypsy is doing so much better and is having normal poops. :D

Here's to a healthy long life... cheers!Cheers, my dear friend.

Love and hugs.
Lori

SachiMom
11-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Gypsy is doing great now! Here's to a healthy long life... cheers!
Amen, Steph.

I am so happy for you, but I am even happier for Gypsy. She is one of the luckiest little puppies in the world to have found her forever home with you.
My favorite photo is Gypsy and Apollo . . . . or maybe you and Gypsy . . . . or maybe Gypsy just looking so cute. She is absolutely adorable.

Hugs ~ Mary Ann

Dollydog
11-22-2009, 02:24 PM
:D :D :D CHEERS!!! :D :D :D

Jo-Ann

PS: Gypsy is one lucky little girl as she had you to care for her after such a traumatic time with her spay.

corgipallie
11-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Gypsy's stitches are out! Yay! Happy Corgi Dance! And she can dance now! :D

lulusmom
12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi Steph,

I thought of you and your babies when I saw this picture.

Squirt's Mom
12-15-2009, 12:30 PM
LMAO!!! That is hilarious! Who would'a thought a tongue could be so long! :p