PDA

View Full Version : New and somewhat confused, Brandi, Atypical Cushing's

Brandi's Mom
10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi everyone,

Brandi is my sweet 7 yr old cocker spaniel. She has just been diagnosed with Atypical cushing's. This is something I know very little about and find myself frightened about this disease.

My baby's vet has prescribed that she be given 6mg of melatonin 2x's a day and 40 mg of lignan once a day. I have found it a challenge to find the lignan however, with some determination I have found that I am looking for "standardized lignan" and that means the flax hull not the flaxseed. So much excitement for the first day of dealing with "A typical" cushing's.

It is a great comfort to me to know that this web site is here and available to talk with other people dealing with the same problems.
Brandi and I are just starting this journey and I feel optimistic about our future and find myself very glad you are all here to talk to.
Thank you! :)

jrepac
10-21-2009, 08:48 PM
6 mg twice daily? that sounds a bit high; UTK recommends 3mg twice daily...

re: standardized lignans, you can find the capsules online....

check out the UTK treatment options; there is a link on the page below that will open a pdf w/the info...

http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/endocrinology/treatment.php

I believe you can give flaxseeds, as they include the hull. But, you should avoid flaxseed oil and similar. The hulls contain the lignans that have the effect on the cushings.

sunimist
10-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi Brandi's mom, and welcome to you and Brandi!

You are among friends here! :D We have a wonderful support group to keep you company, and help you find answers to all your questions, so don't be shy.

Sorry I can't help you with Atypical Cushings (my girl had pitituary dependent cushings), but there are several babies here who have been diagnosed with Atypical Cushings and are doing well, so their moms and dads will be along shortly to give you their experiences.

Glad to have you aboard! :)

Shelba and Suni

Harley PoMMom
10-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi Brandi's Mom,

Welcome to our cushings family, if you don't mind me asking, would you tell us your first name, we are sooo friendly around here and starting my post out to Brandi's Mom...well that's fine, but I would love to know your name as well, as long as it's ok with you.

Here is a post from Glynda, one of our administrators who posted in another members thread about the lignans:

Hi and welcome to the forum...

I have two dogs with typical cushing's and one of them also has elevated intermediate/sex hormones. Her lignans come from pressed flax hulls purchased from www.flaxhulls.com. In the past, she has also taken lignans purchased from http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Flax-Seed-Lignans
Both are very good; however, improvements are not usually seen for three to four months...

Glynda

Now you are correct, you want the lignans, not the flax oil or seeds and remember you want the plain melatonin too.

We usually ask alot of questions to the new members, just so we can get aquainted with them and their precious pup. So, here are some: what symptoms does Brandi display of cushings that lead you and your vet to test for it? How much does Brandi weigh? Is Brandi on any other meds or supplements? Could you post the results from the UTK full adrenal panel with the units and reference ranges and the comment summary from Dr Oliver, I am assuming you had it done there. Did Brandi have any other tests done--ultrasound, CBC, Chemistry panel, LDDS test? If she did, could you post these result here with any abnormal finding from the CBC and the Chemistry panel with the units and reference ranges.

I am sorry to throw all these questions at you at once, but the more we know about your beautiful Brandi the better we can help you help her. You have indeed done a great job getting her diagnosed as Atypical, many vets and pet owners do not know about Atypical cushings. Hang in there, you have definitely come to the right place for answers, these amazing and knowledgeable people have helped me and my boy Harley tremendously and I know they will do the same for you.

And please, don't worry confusion and fear is part of this cushing process. :eek::) but that's what we're here for, you have a whole big family to lean onto now and we'll show you that's it's not all that scary.

Hugs.
Lori

gpgscott
10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Welcome,

I like the others suspect the dose recommended is 3mg melatonin twice daily, make sure it is not extended or rapid release.

The lignans can be found in capsule @ vitacost.com.

Dr. Oliver does recommend pressed flax hulls, I prefer the caps.

Scott

Tell us more.

Harley PoMMom
10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm thinking since Brandi is being rx'd 40 mg lignans, she weigh around 40 lbs + ?

On the treatment option sheet it says:

and the suggested approximate daily dose of lignan is one milligram (mg) per pound of body weight

Melatonin ... Typically, a dose of 3 mg is given q12hrs (BID) for dogs <30 lbs; a dose of 6 mg is given q12hrs(BID) for dogs > 30 lbs.

http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/endocrinology/pdf/Treatment%20Info,%20Atypical%20Cushing's,%20revise d,%20Oct.,%202009.pdf

So I believe her dose of melatonin is correct. If she weighs over 30#.

Love and hugs.
Lori

jrepac
10-22-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm thinking since Brandi is being rx'd 40 mg lignans, she weigh around 40 lbs + ?

On the treatment option sheet it says:

http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/endocrinology/pdf/Treatment%20Info,%20Atypical%20Cushing's,%20revise d,%20Oct.,%202009.pdf

So I believe her dose of melatonin is correct. If she weighs over 30#.

Love and hugs.
Lori

Yes, U R right....bigger doggy, bigger dosey, my mistake!

Tamarah
10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi Brandi's Mom and welcome to you and Brandi!

I know the overwhelming feeling you're experiencing with a new diagnosis, but I'll tell you it does get easier. My Crash was diagnosed 7 months ago with atypical. It's been a journey, but I'm finally feeling more at ease with this disease and Crash's treatment. Crash too is taking 6 mg of melatonin twice a day and also1 tsp of flax hulls daily. He's approximately 34 pounds. I switched to the hulls about 4 months ago from the FSO and so glad I did. His liver enzyme levels are steadily improving. I order the hulls from www.flaxhulls.com

My advice is to take a deep breath and know that you've found a great information and support system in this web site. Take it all one day at a time. I've learned so much from everyone here. I've kept a journal and jot down things I've learned here and questions too. I never trusted my memory. It seems I talked with Crash's vet daily in the very beginning and so many times it was asking questions that I had written in my journal. This is a very treatable disease and Brandi can live a very long and happy life.

Again, welcome!

Tammy, Crash, & Darby