PDA

View Full Version : Meet Willa and Webster

lulusmom
10-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi guys,

A lot of my friends here know that I do rescue work and I love it even though at times it rips my heart out because we can't save more. Last month I was asked to go bail out two Chihuahua mix puppies from a horrid shelter and I want to introduce them to you because they are very, very close to my heart. So here is their story as told by Jenna Bell, President and founder of Mutts N Stuff Small Dog Rescue:

Like most of my days, I was looking through my e-mail, most of which were pleas to help dogs that need to be rescued…..so many beautiful Chihuahua mixes. Mutts N Stuff rescues from shelters in four counties in Southern California, with a heartfelt emphasis on seniors and special needs fur kids. A mutual dog loving friend sent pictures of two innocent looking, generic Chihuahua mix puppies that were obviously littermates and unfortunate victims of backyard breeding gone bad…..they were born with no front limbs. I was immediately moved to save these two beautiful babies and made a phone call to the shelter where their owner had abandoned them. When advised that they were still there, I dispatched one of my loyal volunteers who made the long drive and brought them safely home to me.

Willa is a little slip of girl in comparison to her much bigger brother, Webster. She has no front limb appendage whatsoever whereas Webster has tiny little deformed limbs. Webster is a goofy little guy with a face that will steal your heart. His world revolves around Willa and his emotions can turn on a dime, going from an outgoing, happy puppy to a pouty, lonely guy when Willa is out of his site. There is absolutely no question that these babaies will spend the rest of their lives together.

We make our daily trek outside after 3:30 to romp around in the grass. This is heaven’s playground for them, running, scooting and rolling around together. You can actually see the glee in their eyes. Webster is much larger and slower than Willa, who is a svelte and sassy little lady that loves to explore. She leads the way while Webster does his best to keep up but eventually he has to take short rests at which time Willa runs circles around him. They are a joy to watch.

When indoors, Willa & Webster spend a good part of their day in a large enclosed area covered with camping mats, topped with cushy blankets and piddle pads in a corner which they know how to use. They are active puppies and love to play so giving them a surface that protects and cushions has been helpful in healing the nasty calluses both of them had developed before coming to us. They love toys, especially hard rubber toys. We purchased life jackets that work really well in their training to walk "like dogs" but they still prefer to scoot and hop. They are standing "upright" a lot more now but we are not encouraging them to walk upright as it is more important to strengthen their cores and do the exercises they need. Both received an extensive evaluation by California Animal Rehabilitation Services (CARE) in Santa Monica and they have provided us with guidance in proper physical therapy as well as proper diet and supplements.

Wherever we go, Willa and Webster captures the heart of all who meet them. Our little Willa won third place in the cutest dog contest recently held at the Interfaith Dog Blessing / adoption event in Long Beach, Ca. We didn’t have enough volunteers to man the adoptions as well as enter both Willa and Webster so Webster made the sacrifice and sat out the contest. No doubt, if allowed to hop and scoot down the red carpet for the large crowd, he would have won the most handsome dog contest…hands down! Willa was a big hit….I think because she refused to hop a straight line down the carpet, opting instead to veer off the carpet to meet people up close and personal.

It is our hope to give these babies the best chance to live a normal dog’s life together in a perfect forever home. The good news is that these two sweeties are happy, healthy pups who think they can do anything any other dog can do. We don't think they can. We KNOW they can!!!

acushdogsmom
10-20-2009, 01:02 AM
I am in love with Willa and Webster. :D

(btw, for those who don't know - if you click on any photo, you'll be able to see a larger version of it, and all of the others, too)

Roxee's Dad
10-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Willa and Webster are absolutely precious and adorable. :)

I hope they will be able to rescue a deserving human soon. :)

Squirt's Mom
10-20-2009, 10:45 AM
What precious, beautiful babies! Willa is just beautiful and Webster is so handsome. Their eyes tell a sad story tho that I know will fade with continued love and care. What lucky, lucky babies they are! Thank you so much for sharing their story and pics, Glynda! These two will rescue a human no doubt.

Love,
Leslie

forscooter
10-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Oh my....I wish so much I could take them both....:(

I so hope someone can and someone who will love them....who could not love them???

Big hugs, Beth

sunimist
10-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Ohhh how I love those babies! They are adorable! And what's so amazing about them is that they don't know they are handicapped, just so happy to have someone to love and care for them. Makes me cry.

Glynda, you are an angel and I love you.

Shelba and Suni

Dollydog
10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Willa and Webster are adorable! I just love their spirit and spunkiness.
Jo-Ann

SasAndYunah
10-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Awwww, so sorry they're are so far away. If here, I would take them without hesitation. Can see Yunah with her backpack, carrying one in each side :D Well, that might be too heavy for my little mouse. Oh well, there's always my lap ;)

I sure hope they find the best ever forever home!

Saskia and Yunah :)

Roxee's Dad
10-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Dear Glynda,
Now that you have introduced us to Willa and Webster. I think you will have to give us updates on how they are doing. :)

Harley PoMMom
10-30-2009, 11:12 PM
I was at work when I was looking at Willa's and Webster's pictures, and the guys could hear me going AWWW, and they had to see what I was making such a fuss about...well I had about 8 other men in our little computer room with me going AWWW...they thought those pups were adorable, and Glynda, they think you're awesome for doing rescue work.

Love and hugs.
Lori

lulusmom
10-31-2009, 12:11 AM
Willa and Webster are doing well. They have physical therapy every day, several times a day. They get pooped out really fast walking on their back legs in their halters. It was difficult to find a halter that fit and we ended getting life jackets. They fit great and they do the job.

I am taking them to a big veterinary conference on November 7th to meet a gal named Amy Shever and probably a lot of vets and others in the veterinary industry. Amy is the director for 2nd Chance 4 Pets and she has been a Godsend. Her team made a blog for Willa and Webster and I've included the link below if you want to check it out. Another volunteer and I have tickets for the reception and dinner and Willa and Webster have received special permission to attend. They are going to be very special guests. There will be a whole bunch of vendors there, including Dechra and others you've probably heard of, so if anybody has any questions, let me know and I'll make a pest of myself. We are hoping that somebody may offer to be a corporate sponsor. Wouldn't that be something? I'm pretty excited about the whole thing and I expect that W & W will be getting lots of attention.

http://afales.wordpress.com/2009/10/24/11/

CVC West
http://www.cvcwest.com/cvcwest/v42/index.cvn?id=10076
List of Exhibitors
http://www.cvcwest.com/cvcwest/v42/index.cvn?id=10007

I am also including a link to Amy's organization. They do awesome work and I bow down to them. Their focus is on educating people about how important it is to make provisions for their pets in the event something happens to them. Thousands of pets are euthanized because their owners die. I have also cut and pasted a letter from their website that will give you an idea of how important it is to make sure your babies are taken care of if you can't be there for them. Get your kleenex ready.

http://2ndchance4pets.org/?gclid=CI3es4u25p0CFRESawodPW9oLQ

Could this happen? You bet!!

This morning I woke up feeling great. Ran to the door and found my best friend waiting for me. We went for our usual morning walk. My friend does most of the talking, but I am happy just to be listening. My best friend’s words are always soothing and comforting. After our walk, we went back home and had breakfast together. I got kissed on my nose and my best friend went off to work. Now comes my boring time. I walk around the house making sure everything is safe and secure, then I just lay on the couch or the bed or the easy chair waiting for my best friend to come home.

Today is different. Night has fallen. My friend normally is home by now. It is getting late. I’m starting to worry. I hope she gets home soon. I’m starting to get hungry. You know I don’t care if I get to eat or not. I don’t complain. Please come home. I miss you. I am so tired now. Why is it getting light out again? This is so strange. I need to get on the bed. I can smell my friend was here. This is where I feel safe. Wait! I hear someone at the door-it must be her, No, it is someone I don’t know. Who are you? Why are you coming in here? Are you going to hurt me? Rob my friend’s home? What am I supposed to do? I know. I will act mean. I will growl, bark, defend my friend’s home the best that I can. They have just put a leash on me. They are trying to talk calmly to me, but I don’t trust them. I will still act mean. I just heard them say my friends name and something about a fatal heart attack. Now I am in a small cement barred area. This is not the food I normally eat. These are not the smells I normally smell. I am so scared. I still need to act mean. I know my friend must be trying to find me. I have been here for about a week now. I hear people talking about me being aggressive. Wait. They are opening my door. They are putting that leash on me again. My friend must be here. Now I am in the exam room. Oh I see the needle again. My friend always told me the needles will help keep me healthy. I felt the pinch-this needle is different. Something is happening. I feel very sleepy…where is my friend?

John, thanks for asking about the kids. Lori, I would have loved to have seen 8 grown men going "awww" in unison. :D Tell them I said thanks for thinking I'm awesome. The real truth is that I'm just a sucker for a cute face and God has never made a dog that isn't cute and that doesn't deserve to be loved.

Glynda

Roxee's Dad
10-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Glynda,
That did bring tears to my eyes. So sad that does happen. I had made arrangements for my pups many years ago. Luckily my oldest son and his wife love my fur kids and have agreed to care for them if need be and according to my wishes. (It's in my will too just to make sure:) )

I have had to groom quite a few dogs at the rescue that ended up there because their owner passed away. I got pretty angry when one senior had to give up his pup because his son insisted to move him to a Vegas retirement home but wouldn't allow his father take his dear and only companion of 11 years. So sad,:( and yet so angry:mad: .

Thanks for the update on W & W :) Glad they are doing well and glad you and they are getting the support. As far as Dechra, I am sure you have it covered:)

Oh I do have one thought, If Idexx is there, maybe you can find out more info on the "snap test"?

Hugs and belly rubs to all your gang!

lulusmom
10-31-2009, 01:44 PM
I just checked and yes, IDEXX is listed as a vendor so I'll try to track them down and get more info on the cortisol snap test.

Franklin'sMum
10-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Awww, Glynda, they're beautiful :):):)
Thank you for introducing them to us. We look forward to hearing more about the adorable bundles of joy :)
Jane and Franklin
________
UPSKIRT MOVIES (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/42/upskirt/videos/1)

gpgscott
11-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi Glynda,

I missed this one first time around, what precious, happy little ones they are.

I bet you all are the hit of the party.

Scott

Harley PoMMom
11-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi Glynda,

First I want to wish you, Willa and Webster lots of luck and fun on your big veterinary conference on November 7th. I know you ALL will be a big hit.

I do have one question for you to ask, if you don't mind, but looking at your vendors, I have no idea as to who it should be directed to. My question is: Can one do a high dose dexamethasone test as an alternative to the ultrasound to diagnose a possible adrenal tumor while a dog has been and is still on Lysodren, and then how valid is this HDDS test.

Thanks so much.
Love and hugs.
Lori

lulusmom
11-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Okay John and Lori, I have both of your questions and will try to track down the IDEXX and Dechra folks to get some answers. By the way, both questions are excellent.

Harley PoMMom
11-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks so much Glynda!! I hope you have a great time on your trip and give Willa and Webster some gentle hugs from Harley and me.

Love and hugs.
Lori

Squirt's Mom
11-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey Buddy!

Good luck on your trip and be careful! I just know that Will and Webster will steal the whole convention! :D And once those folks get to know you, there will be a convention in your honor! ;)

Hugs and love,
Leslie

lulusmom
11-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Willa and Webster were a huge hit at the convention. Everybody wanted their pictures taken with them but unfortunately, we didn't get any sponsors. Several companies took our flier and said they would see what they could do when they got back home so we'll see. I kept telling everybody how great it would be to have their names on the sides of W & W's carts. :D The people at ACVIM were amazing and pledged to help us find a home for them. I think it was unanimous that W & W are about five months old. They had their teeth checked by at least four vets. :D A couple of the vets from out of state said they were Jonesin for contact with a dog and asked if they could hold the kids. The vets were walking the floors just like us, would spot W & W and come right over to ask about them.

Dechra was there in full force but for the life of me, I couldn't remember any questions for them. I would have loved to have sat down and talked to them about a number of concerns we have all expressed but I did not have time. As marketing guys, they wouldn't have had any answers for me anyway. The place was huge and we had a lot of ground to cover. I did tell them about our forum and of course, they said to tell our members that Vetoryl is the only way to go. Sure I will.

There were six IDEXX reps and we definitely had their attention. Of course I was holding Webster so it wasn't really me they were interested in. :D They were fun guys but didn't have the answer to Lori's question regarding whether the HDDS can be used to determine adrenal vs pituitary if the dog is actively treating and controlled with Lysodren or Trilostane. They suggested I go to their website and send an email. These people are marketers so I wasn't surprised. They were all ears when I asked about the cortisol snap test because they are there to sell the machines that vets need to do these tests inhouse. So our curiosity can finally be laid to rest. The cortisol snap test gives you the pre and the post cortisol results right there in office. COOL!!! I'd love to get immediate results so I'm going to ask Dr. Moore if they are considering buying a machine.

Needless to say, W & W were absolutely exhausted and slept the 2 1/2 hours home. My feet were killing me and my left arm was numb from lugging Webster around all night but it was so worth it. Hopefully, we'll get some results. I'll keep you posted.

Glynda

P.S. It's good to have you back, Leslie and belated happy birthday!!! I hope you had that luxurious bath you've been wanting.

lulusmom
11-11-2009, 01:37 PM
We received the results of Webster's Wisdom Panel DNA test and he is....drum roll please....at least 25% of his DNA comes from a Miniature Short Haired Dachshund and other breeds detected are Chihuahua, Toy Fox Terrier and Japanese Chin.

For those of you who may want to know what DNA may be detected in your dogs, you can buy the Wisdom Panel kit on Ebay for a lot cheaper than a vet will charge you. I paid about $37 for the kit and the vet charged me $25 to do the draw. If you want an idea as to what the report looks like, check out Websters. Go to www.wisdompanel.com and enter Websters info below in the Test Status Checker.

Last name: Bell
Sample ID: 2000012040

Squirt's Mom
11-12-2009, 10:14 AM
That is cool, Glynda! :cool: I would love to find out what is in Goldie and Crys :confused: :eek: ...Squirt I know. ;) Did you do this via a blood draw or cheek swab? Is one method better than the other?

Maybe...ok, it's no secret...I'm a dummy, but are you sure about the other breeds in Webster (Chi, Terrier, Chin)? That report seems to me to be saying that the only breed they could identify in Webster was the Dachshund, and the other 3 breeds are an example from an imaginary dog. But please refer to the beginning phrase of this paragraph. :p

Great info on the Snap test, too. I wonder how many vets will take advantage of those machines? Hopefully many if they are accurate! That would be really handy.

Love ya,
Leslie

BestBuddy
11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
We also had the test (cheek swab) done on Luke and he came back Poodle and Shiba Inu.:eek: as secondary breed and no primary listed.:eek:

This is where we had Luke's done here in Australia and the FAQ's answer a lot of questions such as "Why does my dog not have a breed for every generation"?

http://www.gtglabs.com/bitsa/faq.php#10

Jenny

lulusmom
11-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey Leslie, I thought exactly the same thing but Jenna told me to go back and reread the report. If you look at the bottom of page two, you will see "Learn more about the breeds detected in Webster on the following pages...." What threw me and you off is that at the top of page three, it reads "Example: Riff" The amount of DNA found for Chi, Toy Fox Terrier and Japanese Chin was smaller than 12.5% respectively so none of those breeds met the criteria to be listed as a minor breed on page 2.

Jen, thanks for the link to Bitsa. They do say that if a dog is heavily mixed, this may prevent a primary or secondary breed from being determined. I think this is probably what happened with Webster.

We just heard from Royal Canin and our trip to the veterinary conference last Saturday can be considered a success. Royal Canin will be including Willa and Webster's story in their newsletter and they have pledged to donate food to Mutts N Stuff Rescue for a year. YAY!! I hope that by the time the free food comes to an end, Willa and Webster will have been in their forever home for many months.

AlisonandMia
11-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I read it the way Leslie does and you did. I think that Chi, MFT and Chin stuff is all about the example dog Riff. The way they put that in there is very misleading/confusing (when they have just said you are going to find out more about your dog) but I think it is only about Riff.

It would be interesting to see if the Riff (with the Chi, MFT and Chin info) stuff is in with other dogs' reports - I bet it is.

Alison

lulusmom
11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Alison, that's how I read it too but my rescue buddies were poo-pooing me. I should have known that I'm smarter than them. :p

Sue had a Wisdom Panel test done on Zoe so I hope she shows up and can tell us what her report looks like. I have another kit and will be having Jojo's blood drawn on Monday. My guess for him is Pomeranian and whatever breed has bitchiness, pain in the a**, snippy little turd traits.

Squirt's Mom
11-14-2009, 12:28 PM
...whatever breed has bitchiness, pain in the a**, snippy little turd traits.

Hey! Jojo is kin to Goldie! :D:p

Roxee's Dad
12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Well it's been a bit over 3 weeks and dying to know how W&W are doing? Update pleeease :o:)

I was also wondering how carts work as replacement for front legs. I would think the steering would be difficult to master?

BestBuddy
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
John it is early arvo here and I haven't been drinking but I just read your post as I wonder how CATS work as replacement front legs.:o Made me smile even if you didn't mean what I read.
Jenny

Roxee's Dad
12-01-2009, 09:57 PM
John it is early arvo here and I haven't been drinking but I just read your post as I wonder how CATS work as replacement front legs.:o Made me smile even if you didn't mean what I read.
Jenny

Cats .......hmmm, I won't even tell you what I was imagining:eek:

lulusmom
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Willa & Webster were measured for their new front wheel carts about 10 days ago. Eddie's Wheels is building them as I type and we hope to get them before W & W's television debut next Friday on Fox News L.A. We went to a Best Friend's adoption event a few weeks ago and a wonderful woman named Erin took us under her wings and got W & W their t.v. booking. I hope I can get a copy of the tape and if I do, I'll share it with you all. Their story is also due to come out this week in a local newspaper. I think we are now in a position to focus all of our attention on finding them a great forever home.

I've included a link to a vidio of Princess Daisy in her front wheel cart made by Eddie's Wheels, which should give you an idea as to how they work. I've spoken with three mom's of furbabies with no front legs and none of them ever adapted to a cart and all three spend their days hopping around the house in protective vests. I suspect that Willa will be very resistant as she is a whirling dervish and will not want to be confined to such a contraption. Webster is more likely to do okay as he is a slug. He is even more inert lately as his little deformed nubs seem to be causing him pain. He has an appointment with an orthopedic specialist to see if anything can be done for him.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3087933/princess_daisy_jumping_curbs_in_her_eddies_wheels_ cart/

Mutts N Stuff has a fundraiser coming up this Sunday and we've been told that some very big newspapers will be doing a story on W & W so I'm crossing my fingers that the info is accurate. Unfortunately, I will be missing all the fun as I will be manning a booth at Home For the Holidays, a big pet adoption event on the same day. :( I'll keep you all posted.

G.

P.S. I got an email from the Wisdom Panel company saying that they received Jojo's blood sample and that the test should be done in two to three weeks. I can hardly wait.

mytil
12-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Oh Glynda,
what a wonderful link to show how the front wheel carts work. Little Daisy was having a ball getting used to it. I am sure Willa and Webster will do just as well - my fingers are crossed. All it takes is patience and lots of love.

I cannot wait to see the tv spot. :D

T.

Squirt's Mom
12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
What a great video! That little girl was learning fast and really seemed to be enjoying the process. :D

We get the Fox network here so I am hoping the spot on Willa and Webster will make it here!

Roxee's Dad
12-02-2009, 07:19 PM
OMG Glynda, that video was so cool. I was shedding tears of hapiness and it put the biggest smile on my face. :):D:) Well now I know how it works and I am impressed. :) It does my heart good to see a success story like this.:) Thank you.

W & W's television debut next Friday on Fox News L.A.

I'm sure they will have a link on their web page. Let us know!

lulusmom
12-05-2009, 12:05 AM
I just found out about a video that was made a few weeks ago. This will give you all a chance to see how happy W & W are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB6y0JbVWj8

Their story came out today in a local newspaper which I'll post when I can scan it. Their carts should be here any day now.

Harley PoMMom
12-05-2009, 01:41 AM
What a great video of Willa and Webster. They are so adorable and boy, can they get around! I sure hope and pray that Willa and Webster find their forever home.

Love and hugs,
Lori

littleone1
12-05-2009, 02:56 AM
They are so special! Bless their hearts. I hope they find a good forever home .

Roxee's Dad
12-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Wonderful video, thanks for posting, I needed that especially today.

lulusmom
12-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Here's an article about Willa and Webster that came out in the Friday edition of the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, a local newspaper. The picture is a copy of a copy so it's not that great. My friend, Jenna, who runs Mutts N Stuff, is on the right in the picture. She is an amazing human being. Unfortunately, these newspaper and t.v. interviews are all scheduled for weekdays so I miss all the excitement. :(

The fundraiser for W & W yesterday was a huge success. Lots of people showed up to have their pets groomed and some dropped by to just make a donation. They raised over $1400 so God bless the organizer, Eileen, and all of the wonderful women at Barkingham Palace in Huntington Beach that worked non-stop all day long. The media (newspapers) were there so more stories to follow.

Inland Valley Daily Bulletin
Two-legged dogs in need of a loving home
Created: 12/03/2009 06:02:14 AM PST

By Wendy Leung
Staff Writer

Webster and Willa have a tendency to melt hearts - even cold, cynical ones that typically have no place for dogs.

The brother-sister duo are cute without trying all that hard. With their perky ears and playful attitude, it's hard not to be charmed, even if they're missing their front legs.

Mutts N' Stuff, a small dog rescue group based in Rancho Cucamonga, recently took in the two two-legged siblings from a Lancaster animal shelter. Jenna Bell and Tracie Jorgensen are taking turns acting as foster parents. But the two women, already dog owners, are hoping a loving family will adopt both Webster and Willa.

"I just really think they need to be together," Bell said. "If you take her away, say to another bedroom, he gets lost without her."

At first, it's easy to overlook their missing limbs. They're just as feisty as four-legged canines and get around just as quickly. They can even hop up stairs.

But when they stand on their hind legs, begging for a treat, it's clear that Webster and Willa have two front stumps instead of legs. They look like tiny kangaroos.

"They're not any different," Jorgensen said.

"They don't even know they're different, that's the thing," Bell said. "You watch them play and they just make you smile. You don't feel sorry for them anymore."

Several months ago, Bell spotted a photo of the dogs online after somebody turned them in to a shelter. Bell thinks the dogs, who are of the same litter, were born with missing limbs because of inbreeding.

Recently, Mutts N' Stuff raised enough money to buy carts for the dogs so they can get around easier. The dogs, about seven months old, are now fixed. Webster, at about 15 pounds, is the reserved brother who's quite dependent on Willa. He's a Chihuahua, toy fox terrier mix. Willa is much smaller, about five pounds, and looks more like a conventional Chihuahua. "She's more outgoing," Bell said. "She gives you kisses."

Jorgensen said the two are suitable for just about any family. "They're good inside dogs," Jorgensen said. "You don't have to be familiar with handicap dogs." Webster and Willa are also appropriate for families with children and other dogs.

Roxee's Dad
12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
This makes my heart feel good. :):):)