PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here, with Petey, Yorkshire Terrier, almost 6 yrs old

Teresa
10-12-2009, 04:45 AM
Hi I'm Teresa and I'd like to introduce my newly adopted (January of this year) little pup Petey, he's a very tall,neutered male, purbreed Yorkshire Terrier, and he'll be turning 6yrs old in November. We live on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, BC, Canada.

I adopted him from a home that was basically empty and void of humans, kids growing up and leaving home,mom working a new job ect..., he was left at home with 2 cats for endless hours at a time. She never told us he suffered from seperation anxiety!but I was told he was in perfect health, just the usual things that he had been seen for at the vet, she also added, he eats like a tornado, and gains weight very easily. Ok, no problem! We took him home, it wasn't long before I started thinking to myself, "I couldn't put a finger on it, but I knew something wasn't quite right with this little guy. My husband thought I was nuts and just being a worry wort!

So the next month we took him in for a check up because he developed an eye infection, right away the vet noticed Petey's bloated stomach, it was as hard as a rock, I then started telling her of these "Worry Wort" things I noticed, the excessive hunger(getting into the garbage, eating cat feces out of the litter box) drinking 5 times as much water as my other little dog(a Shi-itzu),he could pee on 1000 tree's without any hesitation,he vomit's water after drinking, and vomit's food, has diareha often. His nails are very brittle and he does have fine hair but I haven't noticed any falling out, but he does have a few black spots on his skin. His weight at the time of these tests was 6.4 kg

So the vet recommended a full Blood Work test, and a CL TSH Test. When the Blood Work came back, it showed : Higher whiteblood cell content than normal, his Hormone levels were low, this Thyroid was Low-Normal, and if I remember correctly, his Urine test was fine. (I didn't get a copy of the test results like I should have). I'll ask for copies the next time I take Petey in(in the next 2 weeks).

When the vet told me of his test results she was quick to say; With the higher white blood count, Petey must have an infection somewhere in his body, then told me there was still lots of other diseases it could be, and she started naming off a list of diseases and told me to look them all up! Well, talk about confusing!!

I called to speak with her again a couple of weeks ago and she started rambleing on about the "Many different tests" and that it could be something else because Petey is so young, but he's showing 90% of the symptoms.

I'm suppose to bring Petey in next week and have the vet take another look at him, he's gained weight and is now 7.3 kgs (in real good physical shape as he was never walked or feed regularly before)but he looks like a bloated sheep gut !

I also have concerns with all the costs that will soon start adding up,we live on a Disability Pension and money is tight, I haven't told the previous owner any of this and wasn't going to until I have a 100% knowledge Petey has this disease. I must say his previous Mistress was very "unknowledgable about dogs " when I contacted her about Petey's last anal gland cleaning, her answer was... What is that, I've never heard of it!! Oh Boy,:eek: what else didn't she know( his taste for cat feces??, his peeing in the house ?? or anything that could of helped us??!!

Should I approach her about helping with his costs?? And where do I go now with the vet ??? what tests should we have done next on my poor little Petey?? He's such a sweet heart and I feel so bad for him, I am ever so confused:confused: !!

I have read some of the other posts on here, you all sound like very nice, helpful, friendly people! I look forward to inter-netting with you all!!
Thank you so much!!

Ps. I'm not sure if I can post a picture of Petey, is there a way on here to do it??

Casey's Mom
10-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Welcome Teresa! I am not an expert - they will be along shortly - I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that there are many kind and caring people on this site that will help you and Petey. As far as costs go it is not really that expensive - you are in the right place by visiting us!

gpgscott
10-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Welcome Teresa,

To post an avatar you click on the User CP tab first on the left across the top of the page and follow instructions, to post other pictures go to your user profile by clicking on your user name in the upper right hand corner, on the right side in your user profile you will see a box called 'Albums' click on it and follow instructions. Please post back if you continue to have questions about this.

Chronic untreated Cushing's supresses the immune system which can lead to all sorts of infections.

I think the first test I would want is called UC:CR, it is a urine test collected at home and taken in to the office. If it is negative for Cushing's you start looking for other problems, if it is postitive for Cushing's you do further Cushing's specific testing to confirm. We have been told by a respected Dr. that the most effective way to conduct this test is with a three day pooled collection as the amount of cortisol expressed in urine varies throughout the course of a day.

Please check back frequently, there will be many others with questions and comments. I hope you find the answer soon for your little Petey.

Scott

Squirt's Mom
10-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Teresa and welcome to you and Petey! :)

Whether we adopt, buy, find, rescue, or are given a pup, we never really know what the future will hold in regards to the health of that pup. As one who has done a little work in rescue and is a foster-flunky, I can relate to the feeling of being a bit overwhelmed by problems that arise. But they are our babies and we do all we can for them no matter what, right? Of course we do! That's why most of the checks in my world are written for vets, supplies, meds, ect. related to my girls! :p

As Scott said, the least expensive start is the UC:CR. It cannot diagnose Cushing's but it can rule it out.

Once we see the actual numbers on his tests it will help, but just based on what you have said so far, there is a possibility that his problems are not Cushing's related. For one thing, thyroid problems can mimic Cushing's and can cause the testing to falsely support a diagnosis of Cushing's. That is what I would rule out first of all - hypothyroidism with a Free T4. Here are some links on this test and hypothyroidism:

Dr. Jean Dodds
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/BEHAVIOR-THYROID.HTM
http://itsfortheanimals.com/THYROID-ARTICLES.HTM

Long Beach Animal Hospital
http://www.lbah.com/canine/hypot4.htm

Your vet is right about an infection, too. If one is present it could skew the Cushing's testing so it would be best to address that possibility before starting on Cushing's specific testing.

Diagnosing Cushing's is often difficult and more a process of elimination than discovery at times. While the signs you listed are consistent with Cushing's, they can also be signs of other conditions, like hypothyroidism and diabetes to name just a couple. The good thing is that Cushing's is a slowly progressing condition, usually taking years to start doing any real damage. So you have time to rule out other possibilities and address any infection Petey may have.

It can be costly at first, but once the diagnosis is confirmed and treatment dialed in, the expenses drop quite a bit. There are places that may be able to assist and here is a link from our Resources section:
http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212

I am glad you and Petey are here and hope to learn much more about you both as time goes by. Keep reading and asking questions and we will do all we can to help you understand. This is a great group of folks and we will walk with you and Petey every step of the way, you are not alone on this journey.

Hang in there!
Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

Harley PoMMom
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Teresa,

Welcome to you and Petey, I am sorry for the circumstances that brought you here but I am so glad you found this forum with these amazing and knowledgeable people.

I totally agree with Scott and Leslie about the UC:CR test, not only is it probably the least expensive but it is the least stressful test on your pup.

Cortisol will react to stress, so if your pup is stressed, the cortisol will rise. That is why this UC:CR test, done in you're pups home environment, is the least stressful test for your pup.

Here is the link from Dr. Bruyette about the 3 day pooled samples.

...The same would apply when looking at urine cortisols in the initial diagnosis of Cushings. Ideally 3 morning pooled urine samples collected by the owner at home and refrigerated.

Dave

Please ask as many questions as you want, these wonderful people are so knowledgeable about this Cushings Disease and the endocrine system. They have helped my boy Harley and me tremendously and I know they will do the same for you and Petey.

Hugs.
Lori

Teresa
10-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Thank you all, You have given me a bit of light at the end of our tunnel, I will talk to the vet about the UC:CR Test and have it done as soon as I possibly can.
I'll keep checking in and I can promise I will be asking more questions! I wish i found this site 3 months ago!!
We've grown so attached to our little "Petey Pie" and will do everything possible to help him!
Thanks!

Franklin'sMum
10-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi Teresa and Petey :)

Welcome from another newbie! Have you had any further testing done for Petey?
Do you have the results, yet?
Jane and Franklin xx
________
Wendie 99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

mypuppy
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Teresa, I can only express how I can relate to your pain..Goodness, I have only been on this forum for I guess 3 weeks now, which is initially when I received a diagnosis of Cushings on my Princess, she's a 7 year old chocolate lab. I felt as if my life was turned upside down and feared the worst for my pup, but after constant posts back and forth with everyone on this forum, very wonderful people, if I may add, they walked me through every single step of the way to where I am today, and it's a better place than I was 3 weeks ago. I know it seems so unfair and frightening, but believe me when I tell you, these individuals on this forum have quite extensive hands-on knowledge and experience with recognizing certain symptoms and conditions. I can't speak for myself because I am fairly new to this, as Lori stated, "dratted disease", but there are many others who will get you and Petey to a nicer place, therefore, whatever you do, No. 1 -- DONT GIVE UP, and No. 2, even though all the info you receive on this forum will seem utterly confusing and overwhelming, the pieces do begin to fall into place, trust me. Take a deep breath for now, and don't leave us because you would be missing out on some very valuable information that at times you don't receive from your own veterinarians. We love you, and are here for you, even if it's just for some comforting during the low times with Petey....Take care of you and Petey, and I look forward to reading on any progress. xo Jeanette

Hi Teresa and Petey :)

Welcome from another newbie! Have you had any further testing done for Petey?
Do you have the results, yet?
Jane and Franklin xx