PDA

View Full Version : New Diagnosis - looking info on lignans

Jokers mom
09-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Ely and I am Joker's mom :) He has recently been diagnosed with atypical cushings after many months of biopsies, bloodwork, ultrasounds and laproscopies (sp). To be honest - I am relieved to finally be able to give his illness a name! He was injected today with the Melatonin and the vet said to get the flax hulls with lignans.

I just wanted to know if it is ok to buy any flax hull w/ lignans or do they make a special kind for dogs? Any suggestions on where to buy it also would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend1

Ely Parsons

BestBuddy
09-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi Ely,

I am not very familiar with atypical so I won't get into that but I did want to say hi and welcome.

Give us some more info (we are a bit nosey) about Joker, age, breed, weight and what symptoms caused you to do the testing. What testing did you have done and have you any results to share.

See I told you we were nosey.

Jenny

StarDeb55
09-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Ely, welcome to you & Joker! As Jenny said, we are pretty nosy around here, but it just helps us to give you the best feedback we can from the group's collective experience.

We would be very interested to see all diagnostic testing that has been done for Cushing's with results, please include the reporting units. If you don't have a copy of the results your vet should be happy to provide them to you. Most members do keep files on their pups at home as you never know when they might come in handy especially if you end up at a strange vet. If Joker had routine labwork done such as a senior wellness panel, chemistry panel, or CBC, please post only the abnormal results. It sounds like you may have had an ultrasound done, seeing those results would be helpful, too. It really does sound like you have covered all the bases, but I still need to ask, were diabetes & thyroid ruled out? Symptoms for these 2 problems can mimic Cushing's.

I assume that you must have has the full adrenal panel done at the Univ. of Tenn., Knoxville to give you the Atypical diagnosis. Seeing those results would be great, too, along with the treatment recommendations sheet that came from UTK. A large number of us are very familiar with Dr. Jack Oliver, & his team that run the endocrinology lab at UTK, & most of us think Dr. O is an angel on this earth.

My Harley is Pit Cushing's + Atypical, so he is being treated with lysodren, melatonin +lignans. Flaxhulls have a high content lignan, & a lot of us who have Atypical pups are using flaxhulls. Here is a link where most of us have gotten our flaxhulls.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Debbie

http://www.flaxhulls.com/index.html

Tamarah
09-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Ely -

A warm welcome to you and Joker. My Crash was diagnosed with atypical cushings in March. Your first post reminded me so much of where Crash and I were January through March this year. For every "no it's not this..." and you're thankful - you quickly say "well then, what is it...or now what?" It was a rollercoaster of emotions. The final "it's atypical cushings" was a relief - we finally had a name and quickly then, a game plan.

I'm thinking you may be a bit overwhelmed with all of this so far. You'll quickly realize that finding this forum is one of the best things that has happened for you and Joker. Not only is there a well of knowledge and information from everyone here, but above all it's a support system unlike any other. Oh, there will be plenty of probing questions for you to answer - have no fear - you'll be amazed at how much help is here for you and Joker. Debbie has already given you the link for flax hulls. I've ordered from that sight a couple of times now. Crash is doing well with the hulls and melatonin pills. He just had his six month check and things are looking better for him.

So again welcome to you and Joker. :) I look forward to hearing more of yours and Joker's journey.

Tammy, Crash, & Darby

gpgscott
09-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Welcome to you Ely and Joker.

Wow,

I have never heard of an injection for melatonin for pups. Melatonin is a commonly prescribed supplement. It is ususally adminstered as a daily supplement, orally.

As Jen as asked I would want to know more before offering any advice. What tests, what results?

None of us are Drs. but I can also assure you none of us will offer advice without confirming information.

It is not common to suggest an injection of melatonin.

Plese let us know more before this treatment.

Scott

AlisonandMia
09-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I have never heard of an injection for melatonin for pups. Melatonin is a commonly prescribed supplement. It is ususally adminstered as a daily supplement, orally.

I think this must be the implant.

Alison

StarDeb55
09-26-2009, 08:44 PM
When I read melatonin injection, I, too, thought it was probably a melatonin implant.

Debbie

gpgscott
09-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I think this must be the implant.

Alison

May well be, but implant and injection are not even remotely related.

Scott