PDA

View Full Version : OMGoodness, here we all are......

clydetheboosmom
09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
And I have been gone for SO long......

Hello! Due to computer problems, email issues, and some health issues for me and mine, I have been missing....but I'm SO happy to find you all.

Clyde and Bailey are doing their thing....and I still have the cats, Chuckie, Evvie and Angelo....and I still have the dog/cat, Tigger!!

Please, check in and let me know how you are all doing....I still pray for you all and although I am saddened by some of the losses, I am also heartened by some of the familiar faces and threads I see.

I have had some ups and downs with Clyde and Bailey...would be happy to share....

LOVE you all!!

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

mytil
09-15-2009, 10:08 PM
My gosh, Lynne, I sure am glad you are here and things are better now and your pups are doing well. It has been a very long time.

We are all still kicking here.

Please let us know more on what has been happening with Clyde and Bailey.

Terry

labblab
09-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Oh Lynne, it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good to see you here!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Please do start at the beginning and fill us in on how you all have been doing. I have thought of you so often, and hoped that you'd soon find your way back to us...:o

Tons of welcoming ((((hugs)))) to you and all the furkids!
Marianne

Barney's Mom
09-15-2009, 11:25 PM
I am happy that you are now found :)

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Lynne,

I've thought of you, Clyde and Bailey ( kitties too) frequently and wondered how you all were doing. So glad that you are finally here.

Welcome home!

Louise & Munchie (aka Jailbird :D )

BestBuddy
09-16-2009, 03:30 AM
Lynn,
You just can't keep some of us away.:p So glad to see you here and am waiting for the full update.
Jenny

gpgscott
09-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Welcome Lynne,

It has been a long time, you should have seen the smile on my face when I just logged in and saw you as a 'new' user.

Looking forward to your update.

Scott

Dollydog
09-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Lynne,
It is so good to see you here again!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I just hooted when I saw your new thread.

Looking forward to your updates....thanks for your kind thoughts after my email about Lady. She comes home Friday or Saturday.
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel :)

clydetheboosmom
09-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Wow, so great to see everyone....:) On to the updating:

So, Clyde is still considered Atypical. He is still taking Melatonin, up to 10 mgs a day, now...and 1000 mgs of Fish Oil. His arthritis has gotten kinda rough, so we are interchanging meloxicam suspension liquid with Tramadol - I sort of changed him to the Tramadol because it seems to work a little better for him. Good news is his last blood work showed a drop of 1000 points in his alk phos (thanks, denosyl!) but I have stopped the denosyl for a little bit for the tramadol. :( He is supposed to see an orthopedic at Tufts, but I am having some scheduling issues with that, so we'll see.....he is still on Dasequin wth MSM, too.

Bailey...ah, my girl. Went addisonian AGAIN and was off all Trilo for a while....then we went to 30 mgs a day, now we are at 40 mgs a day, with good control. She is also on 1/4 baby aspirin a day (Tufts vet tells me that some developments with Cushings can include throwing a clot, so they want me to put her on a low dose of buffered aspirin every day), 1000 mgs Fish Oil, Denosyl, Benadryl (low dose for this time of year - Clyde, too) Dasequin with MSM and of course, they are still both eating Merrick dog food.

Bailey is getting "selective hearing" and she just turned 13 on the 12th! YAY!

On a feline note, Chuckie had a thyroid tumor and was being treated with Tapazole...and had a rare allergic reaction to it!! - Tufts actually took pictures of him during the allergy to show what "classic" signs were, so he's famous :P So, he had to have an I131 radioactive shot to get it under control. Not cheap. Thank goodness for Care Credit!

Other animals are doing fine.

There have been some ups and downs with my health, with my other half, with the family....*sigh* You all know how it is. I'm still working, though - crime never takes a holiday! :P

Love you all - looking forward to being back in the "loop"

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

ladysmom06
09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Lynne,

So happy :D:D:D:D to see your thread this morning. Been wondering how all of you been doing. Glad to hear that all is ok. Hugs to you and the gang.

gpgscott
09-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey Lynne,

As you say the radio treatment for feline thyroid is not cheap but I am familiar with it and know it offers a near gaurantee of elimination of the tumor, I don't know for sure about supplements afterwards but thryroid supplements are not costly and the testing is nothing like Cushing's

Good luck. Scott

clydetheboosmom
10-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Hey all -

So, Clyde hurt his poor arthritic leg.......and is taking his sweet time getting over it.....

I spoke to the IM vet at Tufts over the phone, as I have been spending my days at the hospital (long story...prayers requested!)...and was really pressed to bring him right in...she told me to use tramadol 3x a day and watch to see if he improves....attitude, appetite, thirst, pee and poop all normal...just dragging a leg around like he sprained it.....:(

I find him improved after 4 days..but still weak...he may need to go in after the long weekend, but he can stand on it, and use it a little bit - better than right after he whacked it...

Any suggestions? Heating pads? Ice? Massage?

Harley PoMMom
10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi Lynne,

I don't know about what to use on Clyde, but I do know on me heat works wonders, my right side from my hip to my ankle is full of metal, memories of a motorcyle accident :eek::(:), anyways arthritis has set in around my knee and hip area and heat always feels so good when I have discomfort in those places.

Hope this helps.

Sending positive thoughts your way and keeping you and Clyde in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Love and hugs.
Lori

labblab
10-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Dear Lynne,

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions regarding Clyde's leg, but I definitely can send healing prayers your way -- both for Clyde and also for YOU!!! :o :o :o

I am so sorry you are having a tough time right now. I know we all will be keeping you guys in our thoughts.

Many (((hugs))),
Marianne

Squirt's Mom
10-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi Lynne,

So sorry to hear you have been in the hospital! :( I hope you will soon be back on your feet and strong as ever. Prayers coming your way!

As for sweet Clyde, rest, rest, rest...Crys came in a while back with one of her back knees cocked in and we treated with tramadol and crate rest. When she came out of the crate, she was on a lead to control her activities. After a few weeks of this, her knee is no longer bothering her.

As for heat or ice, I don't really know about in dogs, but I was told if my joints are hurting and no swelling is present, then heat is fine; if swelling is present then no heat but ice packs.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth! Hope it helps a bit and certainly hope you are back in good health very soon!

Hugs and prayers for you both!
Leslie and the girls

Dollydog
10-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi Lynne,
No suggestions other than what the others have said....prayers and thoughts coming your way.
Hugs for all of you,
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel

judymaggie
10-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Lynne: Sounds like you are handling a lot right now. Am sending prayers and good thoughts your way.
I found this info on the internet doing a search for dogs with arthritis. Treatment sounds just like that for humans:

Applying heat to the joint can help relieve muscle spasm and pain. Just soak a towel in warm water, and apply to the joint for 10 minutes, two to three times a day. Be careful with heat - if the heat pack is too warm, it can irritate the skin.

If you notice swelling in the joint area, it is better to apply a cold pack, or ice wrapped in a towel, for 15-20 minutes, three times a day. Also be careful with cold packs because if they are too cold, or are used for too long, they can irritate the skin. It's important to talk to your veterinarian if you see signs of joint swelling.

gpgscott
10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Lynne,

Thanks for letting us know,

I have no advice but will be thinking and praying for you both.

Scott

AlisonandMia
10-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Here's a link to some info on when and why to use cold and heat.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Ice-and-Heat-Treatment-for-Injuries.htm

and another one:

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/7671350/ice-or-heat-ice-or-heat-for-injury-treatment-.htm

Positive thoughts to you and yours...

Alison

MiniSchnauzerMom
10-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi Lynne,

You've definitely got positive thoughts and prayers for both you and Clyde coming from me! Hope Clyde is continuing to improve and surely do hope you are ok.

After first having him checked out by a vet, I've used an ice pack on Munchie when he overdid it roughhousing with his puddy tats. I also limited his activity until he was back to normal.

Louise

clydetheboosmom
12-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Hey all -

So, Bailey has had this cyst on her back for a long time - two years, at least - it had been aspirated and determined to be a cyst - probably brought on by the Cushings...this morning, I looked down at her after her outside walk and noticed a drop of blood on her back - I went to get a cloth and wipe her off and BAM! the cyst EXPLODED. It was utterly disgusting, truthfully. I applied some pressure with the wet cloth and it just drained and drained....nasty! Bailey, however, didn't seem to disturbed by it - she actually seemed pretty perky..I wonder if it was bothering her?? She's going to the local vet tonight in case she needs antibiotics - has anyone else experienced this?

Clyde's arthritis has really gotten to be a problem :( I am also concerned about some raised papules on his face and one on his back end....with everything that has gone on, I have been hard-pressed to get them to the vet...and yet I have talked to her twice. So, keep your fingers crossed that all is well with Clyde with the exception of being wobbly-legged!

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

littleone1
12-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi Lynne,

Corky had a similar thing happen to him last December. He had a small lump on the back of his neck. All of a sudden, it got much larger. When we were out for our morning walk, I noticed some blood coming from it. I put pressure on it, got him home and took him immediately to the vet. It was a cyst, and the vet drained it. Corky was on an antibiotic, not just for that, but also for an abscessed tooth. He did have it removed, along with 7 other growths and cysts on his body. He also had several skin tags removed at the same time. I'm sure you'll feel better if Bailey sees your vet. I know that even though Corky's were nothing to worry about, you still can't help worrying.

I hope Clyde can get some relief from his arthritis pain.

Let us know how everything goes.

Carol G
12-22-2009, 02:13 AM
That happened both to Winnie and to McGill. They each had a cyst for a long time and then it ruptured. McGill's (on the back of his neck) I discovered that it had ruptured almost immediately after it did and Winnie's (on her flank) I found a bunch of dried up gunk so it must have been a day or so after. For each, the vet did a minor surgery to take everything that remained out and sent them to be biopsied (but he tended to send every little thing out to the lab). Both were benign. With Winnie's I kind of remember the substitute vet looked at it the day I discovered it had burst but it was too late to do the surgery that day. She said there was no reason to send it to the lab (but the regular vet did anyhow).

I'm sure it will be nothing -- just needs to be cleaned up.

Carol & Atty Cat and always Winnie & McGill

clydetheboosmom
12-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Thank you all, as always, for replying. Bailey had a sebaceous cyst - nasty, nasty, nasty! - but it is all cleaned up and looks to be on the mend....yikes.

Clyde! He is really struggling with the snow and stuff here. I'm just trying to keep him comfortable...his appetite certainly isn't affected! LOL.

Merry Christmas!

littleone1
12-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi Lynne,

I'm glad to hear that Bailey is doing good. I hope Clyde will have an easier time walking

Merry Christmas to you also.

Dollydog
12-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Glad to hear the cyst is all cleaned up....hope both are feeling better soon,

clydetheboosmom
04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Hello everyone. I can't seem to find my old thread, so I started a new one.

Bailey is doing pretty well. She is still on 30 mgs. Trilostane a day, and also takes Denosyl, Fish Oil, a 1/4 of children's aspirin (although not everyday), and Dasequin w/MSM. She was recently seen at Tufts, and her cortisone levels were within normal range, and her blood work was good. Her alkphos was 225, which the student thought was high, but considering she was in the 600's before, I was happy with that!

Clyde - oh my baby Clyde! His arthritis is bad enough that stressing him out by putting him in the car and all is just not happening, and the meloxicam and tramadol he takes seem to keep him moving. He can still get up to eat and drink, move from room to room, go downstairs, urinate and defecate, but coming up stairs is a little difficult. He will walk the yard, resting in between. He seems happy and not too much in pain. However, my regular vet wants to put him on Carprofen (read that as generic Rimadyl - 1/2 dose) and the Tufts vet is on the fence. I have a mobile vet coming to take some blood work, and also, Clyde seems to have developed what seems to be a (excuse me, but...) hemorroid that I want to have looked at, too.

I was thinking I'd like to try the Adequan shots, but the Tufts vet thinks they may not help.

Anyone have advice on Rimadyl? Carprofen? Thoughts?

I know this is silly of me to say, especially in light of all our losses (sob!), but I'm scared to have Clyde seen today....after Norman's death, I just haven't been too plugged in and he is woefully overdue for blood work, but...I'm scared! I can't handle anything else right now, it's all I can do to try and work. I know, I know this is so wrong of me to vent here...but I just wanted someone to know....please, don't think badly of me!

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

labblab
04-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Hey girl,

I found your old thread for you and went ahead and merged your new update with it. You are not being silly at all for feeling very worried about Clyde!!! And I wish I knew more about pain medications, but I'm hoping that others will be by shortly with some suggestions and thoughts in that regard.

In the meantime, I'm beaming strength and positive thoughts for Clyde's check-up this afternoon.

Many (((hugs))),
Marianne

jrepac
04-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Rimadyl has something of a checkered past, yet many have used it w/good success.

It should not be used on a pup w/Cushings...:eek:

And, labs are very susceptible to bad side effects...that was the one breed where Rimadyl went wrong real fast..

Personally, I'd look at other options first, but that's just my opinion.

I know of people who use it to treat arthritis and I have used it for my Aussie pre-Cushings. It is good at relieving pain and inflammation and you can get it in chewable form, which makes life easier.

Jeff

forscooter
04-12-2010, 11:06 AM
My sweet Lynne...not just today...but every day...just got your message and here I am!!

I have had bad experiences with long-term Rimadyl use, even pre-Cushing's. I swear it gave Bailey seizures back when he was only a few years old. I will use it for short-term use but never again the long-term.

Tramadol has worked well for some pups but I think can be a little sedating. I haven't had much personal use with it so I will let people speak who used it.

Also, I know there are a few here who had really good success with the Adequan. I considered it for Bailey myself at one point, but then bc of other factors, it became a mute point. Anyway, interestingly enough my vet said the same as the Tuft's vet...he wasn't all that impressed with it and didn't think it would help.

I know others have said absolutely no NSAIDs for a Cush pup but I can only relate my own personal experience. Bailey and Scooter, and especially Scooter with all his GI problems, did just fine on Metacam as long as I gave it with a full meal and when they were stable Cushing's-wise. I even used it when not so stable and they were fine....but always and only with food and sometimes a pepcid. This may be something to ask the Tuft's vet about....bc I know there will be a lot of disagreement with this.

How could anyone think badly of you????? Of course, you're scared...we all have been scare and just bc we have had our losses doesn't take away your right to be a bit freaked out. You are more than entitled to however you feel! Always.

Lots of love and hugs and a PM coming up!
Beth

Casey's Mom
04-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Hello Lynne, I am one of the people here that use Adequan for my dog Casey. I also give her 500 mg of L-Glutamine a day and glucosamine chondroitin. You can get these supplements at the health food store.

After she began Lysodren treatment a little over a year ago her arthritis became evident. She walked with a hitch in her stride and had trouble on our walks and going up and down stairs. Now at 14 her hitch is gone and yesterday we went for a two mile hike up and down hills through the forest. She still has trouble going down a long flight of stairs but I carry her. She weighs 40 lbs.

Good luck and hugs,

littleone1
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi Lynne,

I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer, but It's good to see you here.

zoesmom
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Lynne - so good to hear from you. Know you've struggled and hope it's getting just a teeny bit easier with each passing day.

On the arthritis, Zoe's IMS had her on tramadol and meloxicam, too (just 1/2 the usual amt for the melox and only once a day.) And by choice, I never used the full prescribed amt. of the tram because it made her too dopey-loopy. However, our IMS warned me that if Zo ever needed a pred, she couldn't have it while on meloxicam. Not that Zo ever came close to going too low (well, just once she did but that was before the arthritis got so bad) but that warning did concern me. She said she'd have to be off the melox for a week before we'd dare give her any pred.

I'm not a fan of rimadyl - based on all I've read about it. But we did use it in our non-cush dog KC for severe arthritis and she had no problems with it. But with what I know about it now . . . not sure I'd use it for any dog. Just my opinion. I'd ask about the adequan. Also quizzed Zo's IMS about that and she didn't want to use it in Zo but forget why. However, several here do report good results with it. Zo's mobility was very bad at the end. We had to start blocking her off from the stairway to downstairs. Two - three steps max - to get in and out of house. It's so sad when they struggle with arthritis but they never complain. Zo still enjoyed her walks, but they were getting shorter and shorter. It was probably harder for me, watching her hobble along and her legs sometimes giving out, etc. Hugs to Bailey and Clyde and you! And thanks for your kind words in Zo's thread.....I miss her terribly. :(:(Sue

zoesmom
04-12-2010, 06:22 PM
:pOops . . . was it you that asked about doggy 'hemorrhoids' or was it someone else. Better go check or you'll think I've lost it with the answer I posted. "DELETE" Sue

OK - I see it was you after all! So re-pasting my remarks about the dreaded "H" issue! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

I think they are rare in dogs, if they happen at all. However, Zoe seemed to have an autoimmune problem where she would develop 'bumps' and towards the end, they were cropping up frequently around her anus. I can see how they might look like the "H" problem, in those that occur right next to the anus. Zo's were actually blisters which would rupture - usually quite quickly and sometimes they'd bleed, especially those around her anus. She also would get them just inside her lower eyelid and along her lip edge and those would release a pinkish tinged watery substance when they ruptured. Could this be what you are seeing??? Zo wasn't very cooperative about letting me look at that area. Who could blame her!
Sue

labblab
04-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Hi Lynne,

Just anxious to hear how Clyde's check-up went yesterday...

I'm so hoping that everything is OK!

Many (((hugs))),
Marianne

clydetheboosmom
04-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi - I'm at work so I will update later but he is going to stay on the meloxicam once a day and the tramadol (low dose) for now -

Not great news is his anal glands were impacted and his left one was bloody - vet says "we could get lucky and it is an infection or unlucky and it is cancer" Gulp. He started the Clavamox and hopefully, it will help clear it up - he was WAY sensitive and she did say she couldn't palpate a mass...so I'm hopeful. Please, pray for us.

One bad thing is I lost my patience and said something stupid to the vet....I tried to fix it, but...hopefully, I can be forgiven...:(

labblab
04-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Lynne, we'll be awaiting your further update. I'm so sorry that you've got this new worry, but I'm gonna think positive thoughts that this is just an infection and that it will clear with treatment. Meantime, though, I know the waiting game can be so upsetting and wearing.

And I know you regret having lost your patience with the vet, but I'm betting she's heard far worse (;)), and that she understands the pressure and emotional stress that you've been shouldering (:o). For today, let it just be water under the bridge; you'll have additional opportunities in the future to make things right.

Let us know more details about Clyde when you have the chance.
Marianne

forscooter
04-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Lynne....I just lost my post! I have been trying to get here all day and it was impossible. Had a bit of trouble with Allo tonight but all is calm for now. So here I am!

I have this very special friend who helped me keep my faith when things seemed and were at their bleakest...and I am not about to let you lose something so precious. We share that, and a cup, and a hand, and I am not letting you lose that. It is the most special part of you!

I looked up last night and found my two pawprint stars and asked for some support and comfort for you as you made your way...you are surrounded in love.

As for the vet, I agree with everything Marianne said so well. If your vet knows you, then it will be known that you have carried so much...and you can always go back when you are up to it and fix it. I have said some things I am mortified over when under stress....but I am human...as are you allowed to be. We all have our "moments", but they are "moments" and they don't define us and anyone who knows us knows also this.

So we will only keep positive thoughts....and our shared cup, my sweet friend, will carry us through...in the meantime, remember one thing, and that is that you are surrounded by the strength and power of us all....

Lots of love and hugs and one shared cup....Beth

Dollydog
04-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Hi Lynne, thanks for the update....hoping that it's nothing serious with Clyde and the Clavamox will fix it.
I agree with Marianne and Beth that your vet probably knows the strain you've been under. A note to her might make you feel better and ease the situation....putting your thoughts onto paper will help her understand how much you wish you hadn't said what you said!

We're here to listen and help so no need to apologize for letting us know how you're feeling. Please be kind to yourself....
(((HUGS)))

H-man
04-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Doggie wet kisses and hugs from us Lynne, and good advice Jo-Ann - be kind to yourself xxxx
Wendy

MiniSchnauzerMom
04-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Lynne,

There is absolutely no way anyone could or would ever think badly of you and this is the right place to vent.

I'm sorry Clyde is having problems and do so hope it is just an infection and the Clavamox will resolve the issue. Will definitely keep you and Clyde in my prayers.

Louise

clydetheboosmom
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks everyone.

So, I'm thinking I'm going to hold Bailey's Trilo for a day or so - her back legs seem a bit weak, and she is not drinking much, and her appetite seems off. I'll place a call to the Tufts vet (thank goodness for her!) today to confer with her.

I'm totally a nervous wreck about Clyde. Beth, I'm trying to keep the faith - keep holding the cup for me, will you??

How are all of you?

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

lulusmom
04-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Hi Lynne,

You are always in my thoughts and I'm sending postive ones your way. You, Bailey and Clyde remain in my prayers.

Hugs,
Glynda

forscooter
04-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi Lynne...

I'm sorry Bailey isn't feeling so well, but I think you know her so well and her ups and downs that I am sure you will get her back and spiffy soon.

Clyde...well, yes the waiting thing...and I am not the best at it so no lectures here....but, one thing I will never do is drop the cup....ever. You wouldn't let me and I am not going to let you...so yep, I have it at the ready...

you know, I used to pray for answers, for signs of what I should do or what would come or how things would turn out, I'd pray for good outcomes and better days, and then I gave in. Not my faith but my control. I was on my way to court with the ex and I had this long talk with God and I said OK, I give up, I give up trying to fix things, I give up trying to make things better, You win, I am on my knees and I give UP! But....(bc there is always a hitch ;)) I asked God if I gave up it all, would He/She at least get me through it? All the anger, all the anxiety, all the worn down feelings, being scared, feeling alone, it all just went away. And you know I squished my ex in court that day. I've tried to keep it that way although I've been told I have control issues....LOL....ME want to fix everything???? Nah...

So, my very long point being, Lynne, as you know we can't fix everything, we can't always have things happen when we feel at the ready (which would be never for the bad stuff), and we feel already on our knees, near our end of being able to bear one more thing...but sometimes that one more thing happens whether we are ready or not and then somehow we get through it....maybe not in a day or a month or a year, but each moment we take a breathe, each night we put to rest another day, we have survived.

A very smart, loving woman once told me to keep telling myself, "I am a survivor".....and Lynne that has gotten me past many a dark hour...You are a survivor, Lynne, just like me. So whatever comes to pass, between our toughness and our faith we will survive and we will be OK.

Sending you tons of love and light, Beth

clydetheboosmom
04-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Thank you, Beth. You are a survivor. You always have me...for what that is worth these days! :rolleyes:

And to everyone else - too many to mention - thank you, thank you, thank you.

Bailey - Addisonian! Again! Can you believe it? She's off her Trilo for now - we'll ride this wave and see where it takes us, but she is less weak and her appetite is returning....

Clyde - his blood work was "unremarkable" except for a low to normal T4 (endocrinologist on vacation - she called me to say she will read his blood work thoroughly when she gets back - she's amazing) and - no shocker to all of you - a high alk phos...2304!! But, he has only been on the Ursodiol for a month, so she said to wait and see.

We cut back on the meloxicam, and he definitely has an anal gland infection - it is starting to drain a little blood and stuff on its own, which I am hoping is a good thing - the draining. He certainly seems more comfortable and less sensitive. Poor Clyde :(

They have been on hamburg and rice for over a week now, and I started him on a little dry food mixed in today - he seems slightly nauseous, but no vomiting and he is alert...so...we'll see how his tummy does.

Thank you for listening!

On an unrelated yet positive note, Norman's niece was here visiting me for a few days - she was wonderful and it made me feel so good to spend time with some of his family...:)

labblab
06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Hey Lynne,

It's been far too long since we've had an update!! Hopin' that Bailey and Clyde are doing better...

Please let us know how you all three are getting along.
Many (((hugs))) from Marianne :)

clydetheboosmom
10-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Hey all -

So, I need a little support. Clyde has had Atypical Cushings, as you all know, and he has also had severe arthritis. He has lots of heart and joy, though! He gets up and down, he eats a lot - and his blood work a couple of weeks ago showed an alk phos of 4300 :eek::eek::eek: and, for the first time, an elevated ALT, but not enough to make the Tufts vet upset. She felt that maybe his atypical had turned to Cushings.

So...because he becomes completely stressed out to no end and then is crippled for days after a visit, Tufts and I agreed to do a urine specific to Cushings test (sorry, I don't know the name) and I collected his 1st in the morning urine (my idea, not theirs). It is very concentrated. She sends me an email today telling me that the test was positive for Cushings, but that the urine was very concentrated, and he had 2+ protein. This freaked me out. She wants to do a UPCR test on him - I will collect urine from him for three consecutive days then mix an equal amount into one sample and bring it to them - and then they will know.

Sounds reasonable, right? Except for I am a MESS. A certificable mess that I can only share with you. Not that I am complaining, because we all have problems, but I have, in the past year and a few months, had two surgeries, mom with health problems, the death of Norman, more family health issues, and most recently a broken back requiring surgery and a broken foot with permanent nerve damage. My career and job are hanging by a thread, my personal relationships are a mess, my finances are in a state of bankrupt disaster, and I truly, truly can not stop feeling like I am living in a whirlpool vortex.

I'm SO sorry to vent this, but if I don't, I swear I will go insane. Please, please help to be rational - it could be a lot of things, right?

Squirt's Mom
10-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi Sweetie,

OMG! You have been through so much! :( No wonder you feel like you are in a whirlpool! Bless your heart, honey! I hope there is nothing but good in your future for a loooonng time to come.

I have nothing sage to offer nor any input on what could be going on with Clyde, but this much I DO know...you are a wonderful mom and a strong woman. And, whatever is going on, you don't have to face it alone.

Big hugs,
Leslie and the girls :D - always

littleone1
10-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi Lynne,

I'm so sorry to hear about everything you've been going through. It seems like when it rains, it really pours.

You are not alone. You can vent anytime, as we're here for you.

Casey's Mom
10-26-2010, 09:47 PM
You are allowed to be upset and vent here - okay? The test your vet is preforming is the first test my vet did for Casey - to rule out cushings. However I believe that in most cases if the dog has cushings the urine is very diulte not concentrated.

Hang in there honey we are all here for you,

Love and many hugs

mytil
10-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Hey Lynne,

Yes, it most certainly could be something other than Cushing's. The test you are referrring to is UC:CR test I believe.

Urine Cortisol/Creatinine Ratio Test: Considered a screening test, this cannot diagnose Cushing's, but it can rule it out. A urine sample is examined for the relative amounts of cortisol versus a normally excreted protein metabolite, creatinine (the latter is used to control for the degree of dilution of the urine). The greater the ratio, the higher the cortisol level. High cortisol in urine is suggestive of high cortisol in the bloodstream. Many conditions other than Cushing's disease can cause false positives, so this test is not considered diagnostic. Nonetheless, if the cortisol/creatinine ratio is okay, the dog is not likely to be Cushingoid, so this is a good screening test.

No, you are not to worry one single bit about venting - we are all here for you. I am just so very sorry you have gone through all this crap.

Please let us know the results. I am also wondering if there is another reason for this elevation in the values - maybe some other type of meds maybe.

(((hugs)))
Terry

frijole
10-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Lynne, Sorry for all the stress you are under.... you can rant all you want here. Sending you strength, warm wishes and some good karma! xoxoxo Kim

lulusmom
10-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi Lynne.

The UPCR is the Urine Protein to Creatinine Ratio. This is not a test for cushing's. Your vet is probably concerned with the 2+ protein and is checking for renal issues. My Lulu also has highly concentrated urine and has consistently had a 2+ protein. Her IMS says it is secondary to cushing's and is not worried about it as all other values are normal. This is a common finding in cushing's.

Glynda

forscooter
10-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Hey Lynne,

As Glynda said, and I just wanted to reassure you too, my Bailey had 2+ protein for the longest time. Just kept an eye on it and it turned out not to be a big deal...again from the Cushing's or his age. We ran the labwork to check the kidneys and all was OK.

I am praying all goes well and it is just a blip on the screen...I completely "get" where you are coming from as far as the personal stuff, including the financial and career strain and missing work, etc...

Keep the faith with me....we always share a cup...;)
Love ya...Me

clydetheboosmom
10-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi guys, thanks for allowing me to vent. Some of my frustration is at bveing laid up from this most recent surgery, too, and being unable to work and having to depend on people. When I had my previous surgeries, Norman was still alive and I had him to vent to...I still can't believe he will be gone a year in November.

Anyway, she sent me another email today - very quick one - telling me that Clyde's albumin was within normal range - 3.2. Although it was slightly down from his last blood work (3.7) it was higher than it was two years in a row (3.0). She also told me his kidney function tests were normal. So, I guess I will collect the three days urine and get it tested for the UPCR.

I wonder if the stress he is under with the arthritis could be creating some of his issues?

Thanks again.

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

clydetheboosmom
10-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi Lynne.

The UPCR is the Urine Protein to Creatinine Ratio. This is not a test for cushing's. Your vet is probably concerned with the 2+ protein and is checking for renal issues. My Lulu also has highly concentrated urine and has consistently had a 2+ protein. Her IMS says it is secondary to cushing's and is not worried about it as all other values are normal. This is a common finding in cushing's.

Glynda

Hi Glynda - Hope all is well with you! Thanks for this info - The UPCR test is the one she wants to do next - I don't know the name of the one she already did - is it one and the same?

Thanks.