09-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Birth of a Hummingbird

This is truly amazing. Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE at the
bottom of each page; there are 6 pages in all. A lady found
a hummingbird nest and got pictures all the way from the egg
to leaving the nest.

Took 24 days from birth to flight. Because you'll
probably never in your lifetime see this again, enjoy; and
please share. The photography is wonderful.

http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/

Hope you all enjoy it.
Love and hugs.
Lori

gpgscott
09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Thank you Lori,

We love the hummers and put out several feeders and also have many native plants which are feed stock.

I know there have been many fledged from here but have never found a nest.

Scott

Roxee's Dad
09-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Hi Lori,
Just went thru the photo's. They are really amazing. We also feed the Hummers around here and get quite a few of them. Thought you might be interested in this photo.

I had fed them everyday and they would actually come to me on the porch and fly in front of my face. I think they were telling me the feeder was empty. I guess they got so used to me feeding them that they would actually perch on my finger and I would hold them up to the feeder and they would drink away.

Harley PoMMom
09-11-2009, 03:16 PM
John,

That is truly amazing...I really don't think that the hummingbirds got "used" to you, I really believe you have a "gift." All of Gods creatures know that you are a very special person...you have a way with all of Gods beautiful furbabies/birds and I bet snakes as well...you talk their language thru your heart to theirs. Thanks so much for sharing that picture.

Love and hugs.
Lori

labblab
09-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Awwww, what a wonderful set of photos!! :) :) :)

We always feed hummers at my family's summer cabin in Colorado, and through the years, we've been lucky enough to see a few nests. I'll never forget one summer, when a mother hummer built her nest in the overhang above our garage door. :eek: :eek:

My parents were among the gentlest souls on earth, and they halted all use of the garage for the duration (certainly including raising or lowering the door -- the car was parked out near the street), and they even put an old mattress on the concrete driveway underneath the overhang -- just in case one of the babies took a tumble...:o

Our reward? Two healthy baby hummers. :D Priceless!!

Marianne

lleigh
09-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Really enjoyed that! I have never been able to attract hummers to my yard in the city but we do have them in abundance up on the Rappahannock River. It is the Ruby Throated Hummer on the east coast. They are beautiful and such fun to watch.

Thanks for the link.

Lyn

gpgscott
09-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Very cool John,

We have had to rescue some from the greenhouses, they get in and can't find the way out and become exhuasted. So I have handled several and taken them to feeders where they greedily lapped up sugar water and then again took wing. But I have never had one willingly perch on my finger.

Scott

cairncrazy24
04-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Thank you Lori! My hummingbird feeders just went up! I have one that comes back every year... claims every one of the feeders... every once in a while.. you have to duck from the fight over the feeders!:p