PDA

View Full Version : Introducing (almost)....

forscooter
09-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Well, you know how you say never? As in I will never have another dog bc I just can't do this again???? I am done...finished...my heart can't take it...I just can't...no way, no how, no, no no....And you know how I said never???

Wellll....with some coercion, and those guilty parties know who you are...:cool:.....it seems I will have a new addition coming Saturday as long as I can wake up and drive two hours at 3am...coffee, anyone???

She is an 11 week old basset mix who was dropped off in a high kill shelter in the south with her 4 siblings and mom. :( She found her way up around these parts and well, who can resist??? Not me!!

I hope Bailey doesn't eat her!!!

I am going to post pics to the gallery in a minute...

and her name? Her name is going to be after a pup and her mom whose story continues to inspire me, always has and always will, and hopefully, she too will have a life full of strength and love. She is named after one of the bravest doggies I ever met....and it is with Steph's blessing....her name is going to be Pallie!

She won't look nearly as good in rhinestones I told Steph...but she does have the hip swing down pat already!

And with Angel Pallie's blessing...and Angel Scoobie's ever-present love...I welcome, ONE more pup into my life...

And I mean it this time, ONE more! :rolleyes:;):rolleyes: I'm hopeless....

Lots of love, Beth, Bailey, always my Scoobie, Allo and....Pallie

corgipallie
09-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I've already told you how touched and honored I am. I didn't do anything special. I just loved my girl. That's all. Just loved her. I know she is wagging her tail stub in heaven. If I had a tail stub, I'd wag it too. Instead I have to smile and cry happy tears.

I bet if every homeless dog gets named Pallie, the adoption rate will skyrocket! hee hee.

Love,
Steph, Apollo and Pallie

forscooter
09-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Oh yes, you did....you absolutely did! Someday, you'll know it like we all do...

Can you imagine being in a dog park and hearing "Pallie....Pallie..." and every dog would come????? LOL! But I bet you it would too!!!:) Who could resist a Pallie???

Love and hugs and stub tail wags!!! Beth, the boys and the girl!!!

Hey, I'm not out-numbered anymore!!! Well, yes I am...but it is closer! LOL

Carol G
09-09-2009, 12:04 AM
What wonderful news -- the new pup, the name, everything!

Carol & Atty Cat and always Winnie & McGill

BestBuddy
09-09-2009, 03:31 AM
I tingling all over. What great news for both you and Pallie (jr.). Just can't wait to see the pics and hear all about her when you collect her.

Jenny

mytil
09-09-2009, 05:35 AM
Oh Bethy,

I am really happy for this little girl and for you, she has no idea how incredibly lucky she to be in her forever home. I know it just happens when we are not looking - bam. And when I saw what her name will be, the tears just rolled. What a beautiful way to honor Pallie girl.

Don't worry I will be your wake up call on Saturday - yeh, right like you will need - you will be so excited you will not be able to sleep at all ;) :D

I am off to see those photos and a big congrats from me and my girls.
L.
Terry

Squirt's Mom
09-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Ya' know, Beth....somehow I knew you couldn't sit on this wonderful news for long! :D:D;):D:D I am so excited for you that, if possible, I would drive to your house and take that 2 hr. drive with you! Of course, I'd have to pick Steph up on the way so we could all meet her precious angel's namesake. ;) We might drown the little thing in tears for a bit, but that would be ok, too.

I like what Jenny said, too, - "Pallie Jr"....PJ! :cool::cool::p

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

sunimist
09-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Awwwww...Beth, I am so happy for you. Those little babies know just what to do to make our grieving hearts feel better. I hope Bailey falls in love with Pallie and they become best buddies. She is so adorable. Congratulations mom!

Love and ((GREAT BIG HUGS!!))

Shelba and Suni

forscooter
09-09-2009, 10:26 AM
No, I couldn't wait! :p You know me and my patience, LOL, and then how could I keep her from her family here???

Steph's sister has named her Palliebagel bc she thinks she has part beagle, LOL....So we could call her PB&J!!

Ok, so the plan is Terry will make sure I am awake and you and Steph hit the road....bring LOTS of coffee? Now who is going to have the middle of the night wake-up duty???

Jenny can do the training...well, then that would leave Carol for the middle of the night wake-up duty! :)

Is it Saturday yet????

Love ya!!! Beth, the boys and the girl!

forscooter
09-09-2009, 10:27 AM
And Shelba...you can please help her into a rhinestone jumpsuit!

Just saw your post..we crossed! Love ya!!! Beth:D

labblab
09-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Oh Beth!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

What a little sweetheart -- her pictures are gorgeous! :p

I am so excited for you that I could just pop. What a lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky little Pallie ~ and what a lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky YOU!!

Please keep us updated with every detail of her homecoming, OK?

Hugs and love and well wishes to all,
Marianne

forscooter
09-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I was looking for you, Marianne....and you bet!!!!! :D

Love ya! Beth

mytil
09-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Okay it sounds like a road trip is in order..... :}

Terry

judymaggie
09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Beth -- PB&J is just adorable! Super congrats -- I think a beagle/basset mix is the absolute best. Looking forward to hearing all about her future antics! :D

acushdogsmom
09-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Wonderful, wonderful news! And I love the pictures!

Can't wait to see pics of new baby Pallie at your house! :D

Harley PoMMom
09-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Awwww....Beth....PB&J...Awwww...She is just adorable, so, so happy for you, so, so happy for her.

I will be glued to this computer watching for updates about her! :D (like I'm not already)lol!! But now it will be worse. :eek:

Love and hugs.
Lori

Still rooting for TEAM YELLOW!!

Roxee's Dad
09-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Congrats Beth,

You are a glutton for love:D and you will get plenty of it. I'm so happy for you and little PJ.

k9diabetes
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Toooo cute..... :) Congrats!!

Natalie

forscooter
09-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Thank you all so very much!!!:D

I went shopping tonight to get all the supplies we need to get started and "baby" proof the house...

Cost of a puppy before she gets home.....$525

Puppy breath against your face.....Priceless!:D:D

I put Pallie's bed down so all the smells of the house can get all over it for when she is alone...we're going to start "stinking" up the place, LOL.

Thank you again for all your wishes....please sign up now for your availability for the baby-sitting schedule!:cool:

Love and many hugs, Beth, Bailey, always Scoobie, Allo and Pallie

gpgscott
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Tremendous good news Beth and Pallie, and the rest of the family.

I saw a post last night where you alluded to the pup and it was clear something was up but I could not follow up at that time.

Going to your gallery.

Hugs.

Scott

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Beth,

My late congratulations on baby Pallie. Awwwwwwww, I've eyeballed her pics in the gallery...too cute! I can't wait to find out how long it takes for Allo and Pallie to get into a play routine (yes..it can happen) and maybe baby Pallie will spark some new energy into Bailey also. Munchie's kitties always perk him up. He really loves his kitties! :D

Good thing Bailey is there for "dog influence" so Pallie doesn't grow up thinking she's a cat with long ears!!

Louise

forscooter
09-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Thank you Scott and Louise!!

I set up everything tonight since I have to go to bed about 6pm tomorrow to get up at 3am...:confused::confused:...and this will be my last night of real sleep with a baby coming until you all give me your overnight schedules....:cool:

Allo is already in the crate...LOL...he really is a Catdog!

I also set it up so the boys wouldn't be too weirded out by all the changes at once and they can also get their smells on everything to help in Pallie's adjustment....

And LOL, Louise, I think Allo thinks he is a dog but with a much bigger attitude!!!

I hope this helps Bailey feel much younger again. What a blessing that would be!!! I worry most when Bail is asleep bc he most definitely does not like to be disturbed and a puppy may not know better.....Allo does! And so does my foot! So, I think I am going to separate them at nap and any other sleepytime...I have a crate for my bedroom and a pen for the daytime. As Pallie gets older, I can use the gate like I did with Scoobie and they needed their own space.

IS IT SATURDAY YET????????????????

Love ya! Beth, the expectant mommy, lol

sunimist
09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Just like any good expectant mother, getting everything ready for the "it's time" notice! Suitcase packed, keys by the door, full tank of gas....check. Looks like we are ready for the new arrival! :D I am so excited! :D :D :D

ChristyA
09-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Fantastic news! I am happy for you and happy for new Pallie. She's going to be living the good life very soon.
Christy

lleigh
09-12-2009, 08:31 AM
So happy to hear you have a new love! Lucky girls you are, both of you!

Lyn

forscooter
09-12-2009, 08:54 AM
SHE'S HOMMMMMEEEE!!!! Now who is on their way over so I can sleep???? LOL.

She is so skinny. They said she put a lot of weight on so I can't even imagine. She was a very good girl in the car, it was a long ride and she peed on her blanket. She let out a few baby ARRROOOOOOOS: translation: GET ME OUT OF THIS CAR!

Bailey was very happy to meet her but then not so happy with the face kisses. I think bc of his distrust from Scoobie. He let out a few low growls and I backed her off and gently told her no face. He is up on the loveseat where he can get protection, LOL. Allo is completely freaked out. He is just starting to come in the same room. I fed them, her in her pen, and then let her out....we played...and then she started to fall asleep on me. So, I put her in her pen (it's an exercise pen I put in my family room).....she threw a complete hissy fit! I put a cookie in there so it would reinforce the positive and some toys but she still had a fit.

I need her to get used to the pen for her own protection while I am at work. I'll be running home midday to tend to her so she won't have such long days but in between I need her to be in this pen so she doesn't get in any trouble.

But I feel so guilty....I also know if I give in it will be more trouble down the road...

So she finally went to sleep and mom is off for a nap while she can get one....I didn't sleep at all last night!

Will post pics as soon as she gives me time and I can get some shut eye!!!

Love and hugs to you all!!!
Beth, Bailey, always Scoobie, Allo and Pallie

Roxee's Dad
09-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey Beth,

Thanks for the update, what a great way to wake up on a Sat. morning. You brought a big smile to my face and my heart.

Aroooooooo! (Translation: Hope you get some shut eye:))

Harley PoMMom
09-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Baby Pallie is home YAAAA!!!

She let out a few baby ARRROOOOOOOS: translation: GET ME OUT OF THIS CAR!Awww! That had to sound so cute!

I totally understand and agree about the pen, them little darlings can get into anything and everything...my black Pom. Bear, when he was a puppy I caught him chewing on the cord of my bedside lamp. :eek: After that all lamp cords were kept unplugged...Thank God he has grown out of that...Thank God he survived that.

Can't wait to see the new pics and I hope you all are having a great nap.

Love and hugs.
Lori

labblab
09-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Oh Beth, I am so excited for you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you're making the right decision about the pen, too. Luna also pitched a fit in the beginning whenever I "incarcerated" her in the ex-pen. But it was a necessity. Retrievers are so mouthy anyway, and she was chewing on the lampcords, too (and even took a chunk out of the drywall when my back was turned :eek: :eek:). For everybody's protection, Pallie needs to have a safe place to stay when you can't attend to her. She may keep fussing for quite a while when you first put her inside, but I'll bet she'll soon learn to calm down quickly.

Now from this point onward, ya know you can share everything -- the "good, bad, and the ugly" about having a new pup. Little baby girls are not all sugar and spice, after all...:rolleyes: But what great news to begin with -- to know that she is safely HOME! :)

Love and hugs,
Marianne

judymaggie
09-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Sweet Miss Pallie --

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n36/judymaggie/Welcome%20to%20Group/p1147.gif

forscooter
09-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Thank you all very much!!!:D:D:D

I slept for 30 minutes :(

She pooped outside so that made me happy :D

She then attacked my shoes :o

And then she tried to steal Bailey's blanket from under him! He wasn't too happy....

going to attempt to take a shower but posting two pics for now...

And thank you for making me feel better about the pen...I am mainly concerned about her safety and it also allows, I hope, the others to adjust over time....she has a crate for bedtime in my room too...

Judy, how did you do that??? Very cool!

Lots of hugs! A very sleepy Beth:cool:

Carol G
09-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi Beth,

The pictures are so cute and new Pallie is absolutely darling.

Just want to chime in on keeping her in the pen or confined by herself when you are gone. I think it is absolutely necessary -- it will keep her safe and it will keep her from driving Bailey crazy. Even once the others have adjusted to her, it isn't fair to subject them to that puppy energy when you aren't right there to supervise. I'm sure she will adjust over time.

Carol & Atty Cat and always Winnie & McGill

judymaggie
09-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Judy, how did you do that??? Very cool!

I wish I could claim some creativity but all I did was find it on Photobucket, reduce it in size, copy the IMG code and paste it. I have found tons of great graphics that way as well as super graemlins that we are now using on the new beagle forum that I help administer. (Just a little plug ... it is myBeagleWorld :D )

I think the pen idea is super -- I am sure that, at some point in the future, I will adopt another beagle rescue and will definitely figure out a way to set up a pen in my home.

gpgscott
09-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Beth,

She is perfect!

Scott

forscooter
09-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Thank you all!!!! :D:D:D

She slept last night from 10-6 so I am thrilled with that.....hope it continues!!

Any ideas on what to do to soothe her more when she is in the pen? She screams....like a basset. And she keeps screaming. I have her toys in there and food and put treats so it is something positive. My bath towel so she has the scent. Leave the TV on if I am out of the room......but she keeps screaming....sometimes for 30 minutes or more. I feel sick having to leave her like that when I go to work tomorrow.

I am trying to let her out for an hour or two and then back for an hour or two so she gets used to the in and out....

She jumped Bailey's head this morning and he barked a warning....he is being overall very good with her...just barks when he has had enough or she pushes too much. Allo just keeps in the other room hisssssing...which upsets me.

I hate the transition period! But I do know it will get better....my nerves are just a little anxiety ridden right now.

I am going to try to take some pics with Bailey today so you can see the size difference, LOL.

Still tired, a bit frayed, but so glad she is here!!!

Love and hugs! Beth, Bailey, always Scoobie and Palliebaby

judymaggie
09-13-2009, 09:35 AM
10-6! http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n36/judymaggie/Avatars/emoticon-cheerleader.gif

Couple of thoughts re separation "screaming" -- one is to add a crate to the pen area. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to complete crate training by the time you go to work tomorrow but training should be abbreviated somewhat by adding it to the pen area as opposed to using the crate by itself. My thought re the crate is that it might provide Pallie with a cozy, enclosed area where she might fall asleep when on her own or at least stay a little calmer.

You mention toys -- are you using a puppy "kong"? These came along too late for me to use with Maggie but I know so many folks who use them religiously. If she likes it, this might be a good thing to give Pallie a few minutes before you leave so she is engrossed as you leave.

I'm sure others will come along with suggestions. I know you will miss her terribly when you go to work tomorrow but your anxiety will be reduced if you can get hers reduced!

Harley PoMMom
09-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Beth,

I don't have much advice on the seperation "screaming" but the kong toy sounds good or I found these:

Talk to me treatball:
There's just three simple steps to having a good time. Record your own personal message, fill it up with treats, and have fun. $15.99

Cube dog toys:
Great for dogs with separation anxiety. This smaller 3.5" version of the popular Buster Cube stimulates your dog with food, fun & puzzle. $15.99

Here's the link if you're interested, scroll down:

http://www.dogtoys.com/foodcubesballs.html

Allo just keeps in the other room hisssssing...which upsets me.Dab a tiny, wee bit of Vicks under Allo's nose, it won't hurt him, but all he will smell is the Vicks and not Pallie's "odd smell" which he does not recognize. I have to do this to my cat when I take my other Pom. Bear to the groomer, he comes home smelling different I guess, my not-so-bright cat, Alex, thinks he is a different dog unless I put that Vicks under his nose. :rolleyes::) When Bear is in the house for about an hour, I'll wipe the Vicks off, if Alex hasn't done so himself.

Love and hugs.
Lori

gpgscott
09-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I hate the transition period! But I do know it will get better....my nerves are just a little anxiety ridden right now.
Love and hugs! Beth, Bailey, always Scoobie and Palliebaby

Talo's was terrible for the first couple of days whenever he was crated he would raise the roof howling to be let out. We still crate him if we both leave, funny he knows if we are just going outside or if we are leaving, but now we just say crate and he goes right in.

The cats hated him with a purple passion for a couple of months, ignored him for the next couple and then started playing with him a bit and they are all now best buds.

Moria loved him from the minute he walked in the door.

You will get there:D

Scott

forscooter
09-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Thank you, Judy....I may try the crate instead of the pen when I leave him. Maybe a smaller area would be better....the crate I have now doesn't match up with the pen in order to put the two together. Last night she did fuss a little in the crate before settling down. I did put a few treats in there so she would think of it in a positive way.

I am feeding her in the pen and she always has her toys wherever she is....

Lori, I am going to stop at the pet store tomorrow to start changing her food over and look for toys like these! Thank you for that idea!!! Maybe it will distract her long enough and then she will sleep after she is done trying to get to her treats. Doesn't the vicks burn their noses??? It burns mine, lol.

Scott, thank you.....I feel a whole lot better that the cats came around eventually!!! Allo did come into the same room for a little while today.....sat in a corner and stared and hissssssssed but at least he came in the room. He walked around the outside of the pen and then ran back into my bedroom. Bailey is so much more tolerant...he just gets annoyed with all the face kissing and especially the feet....no one even looks at the feet besides me let alone touches them! :o He has gone in the pen and I let him...they switch.

I made sure I spent lots of time with Allo today and Bailey too...Pallie was outside helping me close the pool as she got all tangled in the cover cable and chewed it and sat on it :p....she wore herself out she is napping much more today....even now she had dinner and immediately went belly up! LOL!

I can't believe this house is quiet.....for now!!!:eek:

Many thanks and much love, Beth, Bailey, always our Scoobie, Pallie, and even snobby Allo, lol

Barney's Mom
09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
She is adorable! And I am sooo glad she makes the Aaarroooooo sound!! Good to know about the vicks Lori, if I ever get a cat I will try this ;)
Sounds like Bailey is going to be loving Pallie real soon. His reaction could have been way worse right?

Sounds like your happy home is complete!
Please send my condolences to Apollo ;)

Cheryl

Sabre's Mum
09-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi Beth

When I read your news about getting a puppy I had tears of joy and she is a beautiful puppy indeed.

We have just been through the crate training ... our pup has now been home three weeks. Unfortunately I really can't give you any advise on the pen ... my gut feeling is that it is a bit like the crate ... they get used to it in the end. Don't give in ... as we all know you won't. We went cold turkey with our pup on the crate and had two nights of barking and get up and down, third night was nearly there and after that .... magic!!!! He now, after three weeks, just pops into his crate when he is tired. Bliss for us.

The crate and pen are a great tool ... and the crate for us was an absolute necessity for the pup and Sabre's protection and peace. Sabre has somewhat adjusted to the pup and he will join in the retrieving games BUT he will have his moments when he is tired and just wants to rest (the pup has other ideas!).

All the best
Angela, Sabre and Flynn

Harley PoMMom
09-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi Beth,

Doesn't the vicks burn their noses??? It burns mine, lol.I'm thinking if you put just the tiniest amount on, I think the main reason it burns our noses is bc ours are usually inflamed bc of a cold or something bc of us constantly blowing our noses, our poor noses are sore. I wouldn't put anymore on than a speck of pepper, if that, just underneath his nose and it doesn't have to be Vicks it can be anything that is smelly, put tuna water mixed with vaseline under his nose?

Beth, you're doing a wonderful job with your new furbaby, cutie Pallie...I know them little ones are a handful and then some. :eek::eek:

Love and hugs.
Lori

corgipallie
09-13-2009, 08:00 PM
My Pallie was crate trained too, so I think you have to carry on the tradition and crate train all Pallies! LOL

They sell this product at Petsmart/Petco called Comfort Zone. Apparently it's supposed to mimic the hormonal smell of mama pup. You spray a little on their bedding and it's supposed to make them calm. I got some and tried to use it with Apollo when I first got him and he had storm phobia. For him, we had to go to a prescription sedative but I have heard some good things about the Comfort Zone when crate training. It wasn't around when my Pallie was little and Apollo was well into adult hood when I got him and didn't do the crate thing.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755195

Love,
Pallie the puppy's auntie Stephie

maggiebeagle
09-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Maggie sends a joyous Arrrooooooo in your direction. Congratulations on the newest addition.
Virginia and Maggie

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-13-2009, 09:35 PM
I have no doubt that in "their own time" little Pallie, Allo and Bailey will all adjust to each other....but it will be when they're ready (sorry, Beth...need to make sure you have your daily allotment of stress.) :D

Enjoy the quiet while you can. :D :D

Louise

Spiceysmum
09-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi Beth,

We've just been on holiday and missed the exciting news! Pallie is adorable. I know what you mean when you say 'never again', we've all said it, but we would have missed out on so much love. Sounds like she is settling in well to your family.

Linda and Spicey

forscooter
09-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Thank you all so much for your support and suggestions!! I am going to try the toys and look for the Comfort Zone spray when I head home. I'll try anything to make it less painful for Pallie.

Allo is now entering the same room but showed his claws at lunchtime. I can't help but laugh (to myself) when he hisses bc he just looks so stupid! And he got himself backed into a corner and I said, "Allo....if cats are so smart why don't you hop onto the table?"....No sit there and hiss and Pallie has noooooo idea what you are doing....

Bailey is being a very good big brother so far anyway...she ran circles around him while he laid there in the sun and he watched her with a smile on his face.....she kissed his lips and ears and eyes and he just stood there while I peeled her off of him. She adores him! He even let her stick her head in the water dish at the same time and just picked his up and watched her drink. When she went to take his cookie, he did let out a growl.

She managed to uncover the foam and tear that to shreds....she likes to pick the acorns off the falling branches and throw those around....and she got a big ball in her mouth and dragged it sideways through the yard. She eats dirt...tries to sample the hibiscus....and when you pick her up, gives you the "look how cute I am Mommy, can't I eat that bush please?" face....ummmm, no...

She goes to the vet tomorrow...she will have the doc who took care of Scoobie primarily. I will take Bailey's urine in too. He threw up again last night...all undigested....which Pallie found fascinating...and was having trouble moving his bowels. I am worried there is either still an infection or something is up with him.

I am exhausted....Lori, what does this word quiet mean????

Pallie is so excited bc she is going to raise money for Auntie Steph to come stay for a month while she gets trained!!!

Love and hugs! Beth, Bailey, always Scoobie, Pallie and the Hisser

forscooter
09-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Welll......Pallie had her first vet visit. I'll start by saying Bailey's urine is all clear!!!! But....I discussed some other issues he is having and we are concerned about as possibilities but decided to leave it alone for now. I'll post that later if I can or tomorrow on his thread.

Pallie has FLEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek::eek: She was given a treatment right then and there, and then I gave her and Allo Capstra or Capstar as soon as we came home. Who can think of names right now???? I am scratching all over!:eek::eek::eek: Bailey immediately got a treatment too and I used a flea comb to check Bailey and Allo and see nothing......yet. I vacuumed the whole house quickly and dumped it outside. Will do a better job later bc I have to get to work. Started washing everything I can strip in very hot water with bleach.

I don't know whether to bomb my house or not????? I hate that stuff. But I will if I have to. The vet thought I could try not bombing since Pallie has only been here since Saturday morning and it hasn't been weeks.....any advice??? To bomb or not to bomb???

I hate all parasites!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh, she got a clean bill of health otherwise....and they want to eat her! She weighs 11.5 pounds, and he is guessing she is a bagel with maybe a little JRT thrown in there. But they put her down as basset bc she looks so much like a basset....and that is her most definitive breed.

:eek::eek::eek:FLEAS! Someone please scratch me!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Love and hugs, Beth, Bailey, always Scoobie and Pallie (scratch scratch)

Harley PoMMom
09-15-2009, 11:55 AM
I hate fleas too...this has been, at least here in York for me, the first time I had to deal with the buggers with this much vengeance.

No bombs for me...I vacuum alot...I have a flea collar in my vacuum cleaner, it's a bagless kind. Also my pups get baths frequently, it's the suds that kill the fleas...drowns them I think. I've got it pretty much under control...wish you lots of luck.

Oh, she got a clean bill of health otherwise....and they want to eat her! She weighs 11.5 pounds, and he is guessing she is a bagel with maybe a little JRT thrown in there. But they put her down as basset bc she looks so much like a basset....and that is her most definitive breed.Awww...cutie Pallie...we love you so much...with fleas or without fleas....scratch...itch...:eek::eek::):D

Love and hugs.
Lori

forscooter
09-17-2009, 05:50 PM
We received a very special delivery today....from Auntie Steph...pictures will be in the gallery in a minute...we are blessed!!!!:D:D:D

I only hope Baby Pallie can fill half the paws of her guardian angel...

Love and hugs, Beth, Bailey, always Scoobie and of course, Baby Pallie!!

(and I think I killed the fleas....just keeping on the egg situation)

gpgscott
09-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Beth, I rely on the spot on type treamtments, in our case Advantage.

Scott

forscooter
09-18-2009, 05:55 AM
Thanks, Scott.....The vet did apply something right then and there....I think Vectra. He is going to see what she weighs when she goes back next visit before giving me my own supply...we're trying to get weight on her.

No signs of fleas but I am going to re-treat the rugs in two weeks like it says just in case.

I did let the rescue know about the fleas and the coccidia just bc I know at the least she was with her brother. And I wanted to make sure he gets checked. The woman told me she forgot Pallie's flea treatment on the 4th. I told her I just wanted the brother's family to know in case they weren't going to the vet soon.

Now she is eating my coat.....bitter apple, anyone???

Thanks again! Beth and the crew

gpgscott
09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey Beth,

Do you use the fine borac acid product for the rugs, works great.

Scott

Barney's Mom
09-18-2009, 03:22 PM

Bailey is being a very good big brother so far anyway...she ran circles around him while he laid there in the sun and he watched her with a smile on his face.....she kissed his lips and ears and eyes and he just stood there while I peeled her off of him. She adores him! He even let her stick her head in the water dish at the same time and just picked his up and watched her drink. When she went to take his cookie, he did let out a growl.

I think it is so sweet how these two are getting along! And as far as the cookie thing went, Bailey was showing Pallie that this was inappropriate behavior. Good boy Bailey, you are such the teacher! :rolleyes:
Hope those fleas are gone soon!

Cheryl

Wylie's Mom
09-18-2009, 05:58 PM
I just saw this thread...and then the pics...OMG:eek: - how adorable:p:D:p:D... belated congratulations!

-Susy

forscooter
09-20-2009, 10:35 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know or have experience with TAPEWORMS????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am 99.999999% Pallie has it.....her poop is covered now with squirming white segments that turn to grains of rice when dry....from what I read, very hard to detect on fecal exam unless she is shedding what I am seeing!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am worried about Bailey, Allo, my son and me!! I will never poop again! I don't wanna know!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I do not do parasites well, can you tell????:eek::eek::eek:

I can't get the vet until tomorrow....:(

Love and non-parasite ridden hugs! Beth and the crew

forscooter
09-20-2009, 10:37 AM
And thank you all for your help and comments! Scott, where can I find boric acid? Pharmacy? I used a carpet flea spray that it is supposed to be good for 7 months but I can re-apply one more time in 10-14 days...I haven't seen a flea since but I am going to repeat it just in case...

Thank you, Cheryl and Susy!!!
Me again

judymaggie
09-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Beth -- I can empathize with your distaste for parasites! http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/yuck.gif

Here is some info from one of myBW member's posting:

thought I'd update you on the status of Jon's tapeworm situation. We discovered a small white worm (resembled a grain of rice) in Jon's feces.

We got the results of his fecal exam from two days ago and it turns out that his last parasite he had didn't get killed, and he also has tape worm. We got two types of medication:

-2 tablets of praziquantel (aka Droncit) for the tapeworms
-A vile of Fenbendazole for the parasite

Two tablets of praziquantel was about 30 bucks. It is said to be the most expensive medicine used by any vet. The Fenbendazole (which we have given him before) comes in a thick white liquid form which apparently tastes horrible. Using a syringe, we have to give him 3.75cc per day, and he just hates that thing. He seems to be reacting well to the meds so far, but we still have 9 more days to administer it to him.

From what I've read, tapeworms have to be ingested by other dogs in order for them to be transmitted so no poop eating for the forseeable future!
Keep thinking "this too shall pass"! http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/pray.gif

labblab
09-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Hi Beth,

It sounds as though you have already been doing your online research, but here's a website that gives a pretty clear explanation as to the source and treatment of tapeworms:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

It sounds as if Pallie's flea infestation is the source of her tapeworm problem too, and as long as none of the rest of you accidentally ingested any infected fleas :eek: :eek:, you should all be fine. Also sounds as if the vet can easily supply the treatment that is needed -- usually only one or two doses of medication is needed.

I want you to know that I feel your pain, though! Shortly after we brought Luna home as a puppy, I was stunned to see her poop literally crawling with genuine long worms -- roundworms, in her case. I had never seen worms before, and this definitely looked like a bad scene from "Alien"! I was HORRIFIED. But the vet said it is really common, especially among puppies, and even though she had already been dewormed at least once by the breeder, she just needed a couple more treatments. Very easily taken care of, and that was that. Like Judy just said, with roundworms you have to be really careful to clean up infected poop promptly because otherwise, with the passage of time, the eggs get deposited in the soil and can be reingested by a dog via grooming itself, etc. But according to this website, tapeworms can only be spread by actually ingesting infected fleas. So I think you and your son should definitely be OK, and probably Bailey and Allo will be, too.

So the problem should easily be curable, but it is definitely YUCKY in the meantime!!!!!!!!!!!

Marianne

forscooter
09-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Thank you, Judy and Marianne!!

My yard is covered in stone mostly except the area behind the pool...I am out there with the pooper scooper constantly and the transferring to a trash bag as soon as I can. Sometimes, poop "remnants" remain on the stone although I try to grab the surrounding stone too. I am paranoid I am leaving egg sacs behind....and OMG is this whole thing just GROSS!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I have been very fortunate that I never had a puppy or dog with any type of worm or the like....and this may just be the end of me. I am so thoroughly grossed out bc I am a weenie when it comes to things that crawl and I admit it. And the thought of something sucking on her little intestine while I am trying to big and strong makes me both mad and doubly-grossed out!

I hope I didn't swallow any fleas while I was sleeping...

but it sounds like if I get the flea thing under control, which I think I do, and we treat this, it should be OK? I am going to ask the vet if we should run stool samples on the boys too....I won't throw in my own.....yet!!! :cool:

I can't say the word gross enough!

Marianne, I did see pictures of roundworms and almost fell over! I think I'd pass out!

Now who here thought me getting a puppy was a good idea??? It's me remember....every time I try and do the right thing, I end up being punished or something...who wants poop patrol????? I'll supply the drinks!

Thanks a bunch....Love and hugs, Buggy Beth and Parasite Pallie:eek:

labblab
09-20-2009, 12:45 PM
The thing is (and this is diagnostic of one of my many neurotic issues :o) -- aside from how totally GROSS the worms looked and how worried I was about Luna being sick -- somehow I also felt like it reflected badly on ME that my puppy had worms. Like I was a dirty person with a dirty yard and a wormy dog...:o :o :o

Since we've launched out on this nasty discussion, I will confess that Jim and I were going ballistic last night because we found a trio of roaches marching around on our kitchen counter. :eek: :eek: :eek: Of course, I was hanging my head in shame over my housekeeping lapses. But woke up this morning to see a segment on The Weather Channel with a local Atlanta expert explaining how all this torrential rain we've been having is driving the roaches and mice and SNAKES indoors around here.

Now that is not to say that my housekeeping cannot be improved upon :o. But their point was that it is a widespread environmental issue right now, and not a personal one.

Beth, hopefully you are not as mentally disordered as I am. But if you are feeling even one tiny bit of shame over not being able to clean up every speck of poop in your yard -- STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!! :cool:

And as Judy also said above, this too shall pass (literally :)).
Marianne

forscooter
09-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Marianne,

That's exactly how I am feeling too!:( I have this impulse to spray insecticide and bleach all over my yard....redo the whole house in bleach and boiling water.....give everyone an enema!:eek: and put the house up for sale!!

When the fleas were found, I washed everything I could strip in hot water and dried it all with a very hot dryer (shrunk a lot of stuff in the process)...vacuumed twice, then the flea spray, vacuumed every other day...emptied it outside...scrubbed under the furniture...and then I find the worm segments! :eek: I feel like I need to do it all over again!

I clean every week but of course, with work and now a puppy, and all the other things that need doing, like food shopping, clothes shopping, school activities, etc....I can't clean ceiling to floor like I would like to....:o

I understand about the roaches...my ex had them and it isn't a reflection on you at all! Once they seek shelter and refuge, they are a pain! They gross me out too! Every single winter I get mice...they run across the floor and look at me! I am hoping Allo will take care of that but not by depositing one in my face...which happened to a friend of mine! I was sooooooo embarrassed I wanted to crawl away somewhere. But then people explained, they will come in for the warmth....they just like your house! When I redid the one bathroom all this mouse poop came out of the ceiling!:eek: The other night it was cold and I heard something and of course, Allo was snoozing....

I am not sure the point of these other critters except God's cruel joke on us!!! What purpose cam they possibly serve except to die!!!

My poor Pallie....

I wish I could help with advice on the roaches...we got an exterminator in....but I think I read or heard something about boric acid for them too???

Hang in there, my friend in the battle of the bugs!!! This will either pass or we'll drink enough to kill anything inside us!!

Love and hugs, Beth

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-20-2009, 04:14 PM
That's exactly how I am feeling too!:( I have this impulse to spray insecticide and bleach all over my yard....redo the whole house in bleach and boiling water.....give everyone an enema!:eek: and put the house up for sale!!

Ah, mmm...think I won't be visiting any time soon. :eek: :eek:

The flea/worm issue with kittens and puppies is pretty common. If they've been in a shelter or living wild...they'll have 'em. Munch has even been gifted with a visiting flea by going nose to nose with the neighbor dog. :( A spot flea treatment every month should take care of any future flea problem and once the tapeworms are gone continued treatment for fleas will end the tapeworm problem.

Even when all the Cushings nightmare was going on with Munch his assorted vets/specialists wanted him to remain on Interceptor which prevents heartworm disease, controls adult hookworm, and removes and controls adult roundworm and whipworm infections plus the spot flea treatment (I use Frontline).

The six furballs were all wormed through a vet when I took them in too and they were a miserable mess of fleas but are 100% flealess now. Worms and fleas....yuck!!!

Regarding those tapeworms....this too shall pass....literally, so I don't think you'll need to sell your house right now. :D

Louise

Barney's Mom
09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
OMGosh Beth! Barney had them as a puppy, but he was treated right before I got him. You poor thing! I don't do parasites well either. :eek:

Enema's? THAT is what will keep Louise away? Careful Beth, she'll take her blender elsewhere! :D

Cheryl

forscooter
09-20-2009, 07:14 PM
I have to admit I have felt sick to my stomach all day long...I think it's my tapeworm!!!

You all have made me feel less anxious though so a BIG HUGE THANK YOU!!!!!

And Cheryl, I was kinda thinking this would make Louise come WITH her blender...I have all ingredients right here!!!!:p:eek:

Bottoms up!!!!:(:):(
Love ya! Beth and the worms

frijole
09-20-2009, 07:52 PM
:eek::eek::eek:
Beth can't say I envy you... yuck yuck yuck. I am sure you'll get it under control and it is common with pups.. just not something you want to SEE. :eek:;) Hang in there, Kim

Roxee's Dad
09-20-2009, 08:01 PM
You guys are just so grossing me out. :o:(:)

As a groomer, every once in a while I come across a pup with worms comming out of the butt hole. Ewwww, Oh, yuck! I finish the job, tell the owner and proceed to sanitize my van.

My son and his wife have a few pups and they sleep in bed with them. He was telling me he woke up one morning and found all these little rice looking things in bed. I told him they were tapeworms from one of his pups that probably had fleas and ate one or more. The tape worms were shedding and that is what is in bed with you. Boy did that creep him out. All I could do was LMAO :D:D:D

I've been forewarned and I am really afraid of what may come out of that blender!:p

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-20-2009, 08:14 PM
And Cheryl, I was kinda thinking this would make Louise come WITH her blender...I have all ingredients right here!!!!:p:eek:

Oh, no-no-no...my blender is staying at home with me since that "e" word came up. I will, however, FedEx you a bottle of tequila, a lime and some salt to go with your worm(s)!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

gpgscott
09-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh, no! not the worms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gHY26yrffA

Scott

forscooter
09-20-2009, 08:16 PM
O.....M......G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know that little stinker got herself up on my bed all by herself today??? And she is on the couch next to me??? You mean it is gonna crawl out all by itself and not just at poopy time???????!!!:eek:

HELPPPPPPPP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott, off to watch the video.....getting my barf bag ready first!!!

HELPPPPPPP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ee k::eek::eek::eek:

forscooter
09-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Louise, after your drinks, no one will need an enema!!!!!

Scott, I'm going to have nightmares!!!!!!!!!!

Now, seriously, all of you....you all thought this puppy thing was such a great idea....now GET OVER HERE!!!!!!

PLEAAAAASSEEEEEEEE!!!!

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Yes, Beth, when they want to come out for "a breath of fresh air" they will and sometimes they even hang there doing gymnastics :eek: :eek:

forscooter
09-20-2009, 08:30 PM
How do I get rid of the ones getting some air???? You have me staring at her butt! I need new furniture, rugs, floors, and I thought Cushing's was expensive!:eek::eek:

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Your vet can give Pallie a treatment for worms (if he hasn't already) and then just keep her flealess. If you see one coming out to visit....just remove it with some tissue and let it go for a swim down the toilet.

forscooter
09-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Or in your blender???:cool:

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Or in your blender???:cool:

Gross!!!!!! Not in my blender!!

forscooter
09-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Only have time for a quickie.....ran Pallie to the vet this morning bc she just got so sick looking overnight....almost vomited this morning. They ran subq fluids bc she is dehydrated. Gave her tapeworm med and an antibiotic via injection to bypass the GI system. She is not eating hardly at all and is totally disinterested in Bailey or Allo. She just seems pretty sick. He is running stat labs and should get those by tonight....

Have to run but wanted to let you know....Love ya, Beth

Harley PoMMom
09-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Oh Beth,

I hope the fluids and the meds are doing their job and Pallie is feeling better.

Those darn tapeworms. :mad:

Will be checking back for updates.

Love and hugs.
Lori

labblab
09-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Poor little Pallie, and poor you!! :( :(

But I'll bet it's the nasty tapeworms that are making her sick, and she'll feel a lot better after her treatment today. I'll be right beside Lori as we check back in later today...

Marianne

forscooter
09-21-2009, 02:54 PM
still waiting...pallie seems a little perkier...but she pooped in my living room and i panicked and flushed....however, i did take a pic and am posting it in the gallery (jenny can add it to the chart!)...anyway, waiting on the vet but has anyone seen anything like this????

thanks! Beth

forscooter
09-21-2009, 02:56 PM
btw, the receptionist told me it looked like she ate a toy and how lucky i am....this way no toy...all that white were strings and i have watched her very carefully....like angel hair pasta....sorry to gross you all out but for the tough at heart, just wondered if you ever saw anything like this...thanks again! love and hugs, me....sorry for the rush typing job!!!

Barney's Mom
09-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Hoping that Pallie is feeling better and that med kicks in quickly.

labblab
09-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Beth, were the strings soft and gelatinous like real pasta, or more genuinely "stringlike?"

Coincidentally, Luna just produced a similar-looking poop last night, but it was neon pink so I immediately knew that she had managed to unravel and consume part of a pink rope toy :eek:. I was looking at the pictures of Pallie's new toys, and it looks like there might be a rope toy among them. If by any chance she unravelled any part of the rope, I'm thinking it could easily degrade into softer, fluffier yarn as it made its way through her system. As I say, I would have wondered "what the heck??????" with Luna, but the color was the dead give-away. I was just so glad that she passed it!!! (But there may be more to come....).

Marianne

forscooter
09-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Sorry for the bad typing and short information but I am at work...but I also can't think of much else other than poor Pallie...they were soft and mushy looking and the whole thing was very slimy....mucous...protruding out the top was something stringlike but flat with a point to it...I am thinking the head of the tapeworm. I know the med is supposed to dissolve it, but my sister-in-law's pup had a tapeworm, which I just found out a while back, and she had to grab it and pull it out...it didn't dissolve! So I think that is part of this mess...I could see banded segments along at least one of the strands...my guess is it was quite long...but then there are these other strands. From a distance I thought it was fur, but when I got closer it was a bunch of strands/stringy things...
Pallie did grab an old rag a few days ago I had left by the pool and forgotten about....but I grabbed it after a lap around the pool and got all of it from her. Maybe, if anything, she ingested two strings....the rope toy she only uses when I am sitting with her...she does pull fuzz off big huge tennis balls I had so I threw those out....otherwise, it honestly all looked the same color....the color of the tapeworm segments when they first came out...
She did seem to be perkier from the fluids and I bet she feels a whole lot better with that mess out of her system...I am preparing for more...I just took tummy meds myself before I expel the contents of my entire GI tract...:o:eek:
Thanks so very much!!!! Batty Beth

gpgscott
09-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Beth,

It is amazing what they can consume.

When Talos first went home with me he regurgitated several times, I presume due to the unknown motion of the car. There was wood and all other matter.

Hoping Pallie has just ingested something she should not.

Scott

gpgscott
09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Ok just came from the gallery,

Thanks, I think:rolleyes:

Even though the photo is not well defined, it is my opinion that this is something fiberous that she ate and not a parasite. And even though you did not provide anything for scale it appears LARGE for a pup.

No wonder she did not feel well. I predict she will be an handful for a while, trying to eat everything in sight.

Scott

Roxee's Dad
09-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Oh Batty Beth,
You just make me laugh:D:D:D I mean, who else has a picture of poop in their album????

You would be surprised at what I had found in poop. Roxee was a toy destroyer. She would poop and I could easily find it bc it had a lot of color, whichever toy she felt like destroying last. She especially like to destroy Rozee's toys.:(:(:( (Poor Rozee)

Now LittleBit has learned to play with toys and I am trying to teach her not to eat them but I do find many bits and pieces in her poop. When she first came into our house, she had tapeworm and whip worm:eek::(

And, I was not beyond picking up Roxee's poop and disecting it to figure out if that orange or red color was something I should worry about or just a piece of toy.:p:p:p

Glad little PJ is feeling better. :D:D:D

Harley PoMMom
09-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh dear, I feel left out :p I guess my boys are too old to do that chewing thing anymore. :)

Hey...we'll be able to soon start a poop color chart tho, with Cheryl looking for Baney's orangy tingy poop, Marianne's Luna and her neon pink poop, John's LittleBit with the many bits and pieces in her poop and Roxee's orange or red color in her poop.

Oh Beth...that poop of Pallie's was :eek: poor Pallie. I am glad she is perkier and she has to be feeling a whole lot better to get that out of her system...what ever it was. :confused:

Love and hugs.
Lori

maggiebeagle
09-21-2009, 07:57 PM
You didn't know you were adopting thousands of "pets" when Pallie came home with you. :D. Hope you are rid of the stowaways soon.
Virginia

Carol G
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
OMG, I can't believe it has come to this -- that I'm looking at/examining pictures of dog poop on the Internet.

I agree with Scott -- I think it looks like something she ate. Are you missing any socks or parts of socks? My Bassett/Terrier was infamous for eating socks.

That said, sometimes the tapeworms don't desolve but I think it would look more tapeworm like.

In Southern CA, we have fleas year round and try as you might, you can't keep the dogs and cats completely flea free. So then there are the subsequent tapeworms. I've never seen a tape pooped out after deworming (but I've seen my share of the segments). When I first moved here, I was totally and completely grossed out by the fleas and tapes but (shrug) you get used to it. The spot flea treatments (Advantage, Frontline, etc.) have helped tremendously. Religious use of those will keep the dogs & cats (and house) darn close to flea free.

Just my 2 cents,

Carol & Atty and always Winnie & McGill

forscooter
09-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Thank you all so much!! Yes, we can add this to the Bristol Poop Chart! Where is that Jenny anyway?? Hiding on me???

The poop consensus was it was something she ate that I somehow missed. I feel soooo guilty!!! The doc said that is no parasite he ever saw! :eek:

Blood work is back....she is anemic....big huge sigh....so now she is being treated for hookworms!:eek::eek::eek: I am trying to read about hookworms bc they said since I am diabetic, I should notify MY doc bc I can get them!:eek::eek::eek::eek: Just as a precaution....WTH???:confused::confused::confused:

The plan is to retest the blood 10/23 when she goes for her boosters. Tomorrow, I dig through Allo and Bailey's poop and take that in....(maybe I should sneak in my own sample!)....and I think I will take all three (or four) poops in on the 23rd to be retested anyway.

Now this is the part that really has me fuming. Pallie's "donation" cost me $425....to cover her care. Around here, that is a lot of money to adopt a dog. But whatever....to me I thought as long as it is going to a good cause...the vet doubts she was ever taken care of as per her papers. One of the vet techs went to a huge gathering of rescues in Pa. this past weekend to help treat and see all the pups out there. She said the rescue groups told her that the puppies were dewormed, etc....she said they all had round, distended bloated wormy bellies and she knew darn well that they were not dewormed as they were told!!! I am pulling Pallie's papers out tomorrow. I am also going to write the orgranization a letter bc I just spent over $600 and counting so far in vet bills.

They told me it was obvious to them that she received no care...or very very little. I am fuming mad! What is the point of taking a dog from a high kill shelter and put them in a slow kill rescue???? If you can't care for them, don't lie about it. Not fair to the animal and it is not fair to the other animals they also put at risk...never mind the humans!

Allo was very sick when they found him. He was in ICU twice with respiratory infections. He was 8 pounds when he is a 20 pound cat. He was full of worms and all sorts of things. But, when they put him up for adoption, he was clean....completely. And he cost me all of $40 or so.

So, if they charge people $425, what the *&^% are the spending the money on exactly???? I am mad bc this little girl is pretty darn sick from all of this. I see her sweet little pretty face and it makes me sick. I know the rescues are overwhelmed and all of that whole story, but if you are going to send an animal out and charge people all this money and on top of it they are going to a home with other pets, they should be not so obviously sick! Grrrrrr!!

I know there are a lot of fine organizations out there and plenty if kind angel souls who do take care of their charges....but then those that don't make me want to blow a fuse!:mad:

I have three animals at risk....forget me or my son...do they think people will want pets from them when they hand over such sick ones???

OK, I just needed to vent. My nerves are shot...and I am afraid to poop...and I just really honestly this time going to have that drink!!

The good news from today is she ate her dinner well and was back to playing....even Bailey was hopping around very carefully giving it back to her today! And Allo let her lick the top of his head and he head-butted her.

Now if I find orange poop, it goes to Cheryl...pink poop to Marianne..and itty bits in poop to John??? And who wants the wormy poop? Scott did I hear you say for his video???

And Cheryl thought I wouldn't pick through poop!!!! :o Wait til she gets her care package! LOL....

Love ya all!!! Thanks for hanging in there with me! Now how much alcohol does it take for me to drink to kill hookworms????

Batty Beth, Bouncin' Bailey, Poopy Pallie, Antsy Allo and always my sweet Scoobie

frijole
09-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I have been laughing out loud reading this thread and yes.... I checked out the poop too... grossed me out is all I can offer. :eek::confused::o;):p

I'm glad you are seeking professional help on this.. and for GODS sake - keep the blender up high for now... wouldn't want that stuff messing up a perfectly good drink.

Hugs to our little angel.
Kim

Harley PoMMom
09-21-2009, 09:30 PM
OMGosh Beth, don't you dare feel guilty over this, these darlings can get into everything and anything in a flash of an eye. Don't you remember me telling you about my black pom. Bear and the lampcord :eek: just turn your head for a millisecond and they have something in their mouth and down their throat it goes. :eek:

One of the vet techs went to a huge gathering of rescues in Pa. this past weekend to help treat and see all the pups out there. She said the rescue groups told her that the puppies were dewormed, etc....she said they all had round, distended bloated wormy bellies and she knew darn well that they were not dewormed as they were told!!! I know alot of the animal rescues are bad here in PA. but we do have some good ones too. :o:) Please forgive us here in PA. :( I hope you get a good response from your letter, you most certainly deserve it...Where at in PA. did you get Pallie? If you don't mind me asking.

And Allo let her lick the top of his head and he head-butted her. Awww, Allo...I bet that looked so cute.

Let me know if you need more alcohol...I hate to see ya get them hookworms just tipsy. :p:D:eek:

Love and hugs.
Lori

BestBuddy
09-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Me hiding....never.

Worms are yukky but with puppies here it is just a fact of life. Sometimes they are born with them (from their mother) and it takes many months worth of treatment to kill them because some of the life stages of the "worms" are not susceptible to the meds.

As for letting Pallie eat something she shouldn't have...well you remember my story of a dog who ate a bell of a cats collar I am sure. The ER vet was quite nasty with me saying I should not have left the collar where the pup could get at it.....well he was a bit nicer when I said the collar was actually on the cat at the time.

Jenny

PS No cats harmed in thios story just roughed up a bit!

corgipallie
09-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Looking forward to seeing pretty Pallie poopies.

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Arrrrrrrrr.....I just viewed the poo. Looks kind of like a sock. Glad it passed.

I had a small terrier mix once (who thought she was a cat). She managed to get up on a dining room chair and then got on the table where I was air drying a whole pan of frosting flowers and frosting butterflies (they were piped on net) for a cake I was decorating. She ate every last morsel, net and all and was one sick pup but did recover after a vet visit.

If you're interested....here's a link from NLM/NIH MedicinePlus. Second item down "What Every Pet Owner Should Know about Roundworms and Hookworms" from the Centers for Disease Control. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://vsearch.nlm.nih.gov/vivisimo/cgi-bin/query-meta?v%3Aproject=medlineplus&query=hookworms&x=79&y=5

Louise

forscooter
09-22-2009, 06:12 PM
She is on a tear right now so will be back....wanted to let you know I wrote the rescue and they offered to pay for her vet bills.

Lori, I hope I didn't sound like I was Pennsylvania bashing!! I didn't mean it at all that way and hope I didn't offend anyone! This just all just occurred there...I am sure there are plenty of places in every state, including mine, that don't do as good of a job as they could...and others that are outstanding! Love Pa. myself!!!!

Pallie came from petmatchmaker....she was housed in Trevorton, Pa. in an indoor/outdoor pen with her brother... I think I spelled that right....

Would you all like pretty poop pics????

Louise, now were you really using frosting butterflies or were they made of something else???:eek:

Thanks for not making me feel like such a jerk! I am also wondering if she ate something before she came here bc I have been wracking my brain and can't figure out what she even got into...I never found anything and my socks seem to all have their mates....:confused:...is it possible it just lodged in there and didn't come out until the fluids or whatever pushed it through???:confused: Or am I just trying to console myself???

I think we should start a poop photo album myself so we can make our own chart!!

Love ya! Beth and Poopy Pallie

Dawn
09-22-2009, 06:23 PM
how lovely to hear about the pups:)

Harley PoMMom
09-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Beth,

No offense taken here, I know how the "no kill shelters" are. Last month my sister went to adopt a dog from a no kill shelter, she fell in love with a 9 y/o toy poodle, they wanted her to put up a 6' chain link fence around the perimeter of her yard :eek: WTH, for a toy poodle...I could see for a larger dog but a toy poodle...I don't know...I guess rules are rules.

I am so happy the rescue offered to pay for your vet bills...They should.

More poop pics...hmmm??? :eek::p:):D:rolleyes::confused::D

Love and hugs.
Lori

frijole
09-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Guess we know what your Christmas Card photo is going to look like. :D Greeting something like "Have a crappy Christmas from Beth and the furry ones" :p

forscooter
09-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Lori, I told them nicely that they inadvertantly took her from a high kill shelter to a slow death rescue had I not found these parasites....

Kim, I was thinking of making t-shirts for everyone here with POOP PATROL written on the front with the picture and the Bristol chart on the back for Christmas.......but I think I will add the card to your gifts bc I love the idea!!!!!! LMAO!!!!

Now can anyone tell me how I can get this little girl to eat better? She ate so well last night and I was so excited and today....not so good....I am in the process of cooking chicken now....

I have switched bowls and put some in Bailey's bc she is so interested in his bowl....no go.....put some in a smaller dish....no go...sat with her.....no go....put her on my lap....no go....added more duck bc she liked that yesterday.....nope....talk about picky eating!!!

Typical female......picky thing...

Battier than Ever Beth

gpgscott
09-22-2009, 08:24 PM
I had a small terrier mix once (who thought she was a cat). She managed to get up on a dining room chair and then got on the table where I was air drying a whole pan of frosting flowers and frosting butterflies (they were piped on net) for a cake I was decorating. She ate every last morsel, net and all and was one sick pup but did recover after a vet visit.

Louise

A quick hijack here Beth, Louise's post reminded me of a pup my folks got just as I left the house.

Her name is Brandy and she was a poodle mix, about 30 lbs grown and very freindly.

Mother use to make what we called a Texas sheet cake. It was a chocolate cake made in a baking sheet with a thin chocolate frosting. It was like a brownie but not as dense.

Well one day mother baked the cake and it was cooling and one of us went in in there was Brandy with cake all over her face and a nearly empty sheet.

She was sick for two days.

This little one was with us for nearly sixteen years.

Scott

clydetheboosmom
09-23-2009, 10:31 AM
A little side story from me, too.....Bailey once ate a whole bowl of Hershey's Kisses - foil and all - that she stole off a counter at my mom's house....she was laying on her back, looking at me like "uh...uh..." for a whole day afterwards....Her and Clyde once managed to eat a whole box of Pot Of Gold chocolates that someone brought to me for Christmas and didn't tell me - they forgot about it and left it in a bag by the front door - I came home to little wrappers everywhere and was like....:confused::confused:. OH! And let's not forget the raisin incident not too long ago, when they stole raisins (9 oz) off the counter and ate those....two days in Tufts later, Bailey was back home.

But I have three favorites - two when they were little and one from recent. When Clyde was less than a year old, he was being crated during the day due to separation anxiety - I was home, prepping to have 8 people over for dinner - and I went to the butcher and bought a lovely 3 1/2 pound roast beef. It was still in the butcher paper and I placed it high up on the furthest counter. During preparations, I realized I needed something from the store, so I crated Clyde and left - in 20 minutes I was back to two cats and a dog (Miss Bailey) surrounded by shredded butcher paper and all three of them laying around looking rather unwell....and poor Clyde, whining in the back room. When I went to let him out, his front nail was actually bloody from trying to claw out...and he did not get a drop of that WHOLE ROAST that the cats must have knocked down, and Bailey must have opened and all three shared....!! Needless to say, we ended up having lasagna for dinner.

I'll tell the other two at another time - I've taken up enough of your space.

judymaggie
10-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Beth: Just checking to see how your gang is doing -- hopefully, no news means everyone is adjusting and things are calm! :)

forscooter
10-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for checking in on us! All your stories made me laugh and reminded me of when Bailey was a puppy, and stole the corned beef off the table as we were sitting down, and the cantaloupe he swore was a ball....people often think of bassets as these lazy, serene dogs...and they are, when they hit about 7 years old!! As puppies, they are little terrors....:eek:

Pallie is growing like a weed. She just had a huge growth spurt considering how little she was a few weeks ago....bigger feet, broader shoulders and head, taller, and I am still working on the just a little bit fatter. Her ribs still protrude but with all the running, she is burning off all I am putting in her. She is also having picky eating periods. Tomorrow she gets what will hopefully be her last hookworm pill.

She ate the cord, to a very lucky UNplugged item, which I forgot was under my bed :eek:, jumped up yesterday now that she knows how and peed all over my bed :eek:. and so she is locked out of my bedroom.

She has taken quite the liking to Allo....playing chase the kitty almost alllll the time. Allo tries to fight back, never using his claws but "punching" her just the same. I am trying to teach her to "Leave it!!!", but she hears that as, "GO get it!". Sigh...sometimes she has his whole head in her mouth and he just lies on the floor screaming....he is not so smart....If I could get her to just leave him alone for 5 minutes when he walks past, we would have made a huge step!

She absolutely is in love with Bailey....and he is so tolerant of her. She is practically attached to his lip....always kissing....sometimes nipping and he stands there most of the time smiling wagging his tail. He does try to play with her but hesitates sometimes bc I guess she is so little. So she climbs his head, his back, and when he has had enough he flips her off or gives a warning growl. But he has had some spark come back I haven't seen since Scoobie passed....some of the young Bailey.

Bailey hasn't had another eye-rolling episode, or seizure, since that one night....not that I have seen. He still does the head-smashing twitch when he is over-tired so I am trying to make sure weekends especially are part play and part rest. With her out and about more when I am home, I have to separate them sometimes so he will nap.

I took them for a walk together last weekend and they did very well together. He led the way and then got tired out and so then she went in front and I think helped make him push onward. I was tangled in two leashes and just trying to maintain an upright position, LOL.

As I write this she is biting his ears....

Thanks again for checking in....I am looking in but so tired I usually just read bc I can barely move, lol. She keeps me going all day and Allo has me up all night....we need to change the schedule there too. She sleeps now through the night....now if the kitty just would....:)

Love and many hugs, Beth, Bailey, always Scoobie, Allo and Baby Pallie

Dollydog
10-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi Beth,
Just have to post this am, still chuckling with the remembrance of puppy days!!
As a pup, Lady chewed a hair comb, the kind that pulls back and holds your hair....2"x2" with all those pointy ends!! For 2 days I checked through her poop and came up with every piece of that comb except a piece about 3/8" long. The comb was the same color as her poop!! :eek:

Twice she got so excited when I was getting ready for bed that she peed on the blankets after digging around in them!! And then didn't do it again till once in the last few months of her life. If I remember correctly she was ticked about something...
Just wanted to share....have fun and keep posting. And I'm very glad to hear that she's feeling better after those nasty little bugs!
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel :)

Harley PoMMom
10-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi Beth,

Oh them little darlings :eek::) I do remember...faintly :rolleyes: when Harley and Bear were puppies, boy, that was a while back tho! But I do remember how they can get themselves into everything and anything!!

She has taken quite the liking to Allo....playing chase the kitty almost alllll the time. Ya know at my house, my cat Alex chases MY Harley and Bear, well with Harley, Alex tries to pounce on him but Harley gives him that "do that and you will regret it" stare, but my poor Bear, Alex actually lays and waits for Bear to come along and then he pounces on him. Bear just gives a few growls but here is Alex with his paws wrapped around Bear's leg, biting him (Alex is declawed) and Bear is dragging him through the house. I then have to go rescue Bear, by peeling Alex off and scolding Alex, because Bear will not defend himself against Alex. Alex tried this lay and wait game one time with Harley and Harley went after him, and Alex never tried that again with him, but if Harley walks by Alex and Alex is on the chair or somewhere that he knows Harley can't get to him, Alex will try to thump Harley.

So happy Pallie and Bailey are getting along and that your seeing more spark from Bailey too. Also so very happy to see that you posted that there were no eye-rolling episode, or seizure, since that one night...whew, hopefully there will be no more.

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs.
Lori

Squirt's Mom
10-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Heeeyyyy Beth,

Heeheehee....I kept my mouth shut when you were trying to decide about little Pallie...heeheehee...but I have CRYS, who is almost a year old now and still very much a puppy!!!! :eek::p:eek::D I could easily write a book about her antics, disasters, and damages as well as the many hours of laughter and love we have shared. But, see, it's like this, I knew that you needed Pallie and that Pallie needed you, so I didn't remind you of all the fun to come with a puppy in the house again. :D It might have "skewed" your perspective, ya know.... :o:p

There is just something special about a rescue baby, tho, especially when there is a health issue that you battle together and overcome. The look in Crys' eyes those first few days will never leave my memory; a look of relief, of total trust, of gratitude, and of unbounded love - and that look remains in her eyes to this day. If you haven't seen that look in Pallie's eyes yet, you will and when you do it will make all the trials and tribulations seem so trivial.

Sooooo, 'enjoy' your chewed cords, shoes, clothes, furniture, carpets, drapes, walls, and various, assorted other household/personal items while you can. One day she'll be grown and just lay around wanting to be fed and petted. :p

VERY glad to hear that Bailey Boy hasn't had any more major episode and hope he has no more period!

Love and hugs and belly rubs!
Leslie and the girls

SasAndYunah
10-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi Beth, will get back later today to the Pallie - Allo question. In order to get a clearer picture I read the entire thread and for now I would like to say that you might want to consider having Pallie's poop checked for Giardiasis (sorry, yet another parasite :rolleyes:) Especially pups coming from environments where they were exposed to many other pups and with "not optimal" hygiene are at risk (shelters and such) The not gaining weight is what makes me suspiscious of the Giardia parasite... Since the Giardia parasite is not shed with every poop, it's best to collect some poop from 3 different times she poops. The already collected samples you need to store in the fridge, till you have collected 3 different samples. The 3 samples can be from the same day...just different poops :) You can add all the samples together, don't need to keep them seperate... Even this way, not finding Giardia parasites in her poop isn't a 100 % secure way to exclude Pallie from having Giardiasis, depending on the test your vet uses. The newer test can give "proof" of Giardiasis even without the finding of an actual parasite.

As far as parasite control in general, I always make sure my animals are as clean as they possibly can be. Yet, I take dewormtablets every time Yunah gets them as well :) I live closely with Yunah, she sleeps on my bed, her work requires she is in close contact with my clothes and such... and flea-eggs, wormeggs and such can be ingested (by me) by for example touching the sheets or my clothes. So it won't harm any human that's in close contact with animals to use deworming pills as well ;)

In the case of Giardia, however, you need a specific medication, the "general" dewormingmedication doesn't help against Giardia. Which I had happen twice... Once with Sogno and just recently with Panda :) Both times I too was treated for Giardia :D

Will return later today...with some info regarding Pallie and Allo :)

Saskia and Yunah :)

forscooter
10-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Saskia,

I'm speechless!!

Really??? I have to be dewormed????

We see the vet next Friday and I will ask him if he can help me...and I will for sure bring in 3 samples to check....

but ME???? REALLY???? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Love and hugs, Beth

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek:

SasAndYunah
10-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Well Beth...you don't have to be dewormed, hahaha...you can consider it, is all ;) I know that I don't always wash my hands after touching Yunah...almost never wash my hands frankly in relation to handling Yunah :) I would be washing my hands all day long <sighs> So I deworm myself just as a precaution. No nasty side effects, you don't notice a thing in all honesty. Just swallow a pill and that's it :D If it's good enough for Yunah, it's good enough for me as well :p

Saskia and Yunah ;)

BestBuddy
10-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi B,
I grew up on a farm surrounded by animals and we were always "wormed" regularly by mum. I still take a tablet (and make hubby take one too) every now and then. We get them from a pharmacy (not the vet) and they are made for people.....really.
Jenny

Dollydog
10-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Us too...the awesome cat had a bad case of worms when we lived on a farm and the doctor suggested that it might be a good idea if the human family took some meds too.
Jo-Ann

forscooter
10-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Oh gosh.....OK.....I'll ask the vet on Friday....but if I take deworming tablets, I want a margarita AND I am just flushing and not looking!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Ignorance is bliss.....

I've been fortunate not to ever have a dog with worms before....or at least know that the dog had worms...:eek::eek:

I don't do parasites!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Love and hugs, Beth and the rest of them

SasAndYunah
10-19-2009, 02:34 AM
Yes, that's most likely it...."not knowing they had worms" :D All dogs and cats have worms :p It's just that when they are healthy, get good nutrition, are adult...the amount of parasites stays limited. It's when they are weak, very young, etc that their systems can't finght/control the amount of parasites and that's when we see them...but they are there, even when we don't see them :D That's why we deworm them every 2 or 3 months, even when we don't see parasites :)

You must be so happy now knowing this piece of info, hahahaha...

Saskia and Yunah ;)

corgipallie
10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm trying to think of a cleaver nickname for you and your worms, but I'm drawing a blank.:p

MiniSchnauzerMom
10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree with Steph. A new nickname incorporating your little wrigglers in there somehow is definitely in order but my mind is a blank at the moment. Just give me some time to ponder...bwahahaha!!!

but if I take deworming tablets, I want a margarita AND I am just flushing and not looking!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Speaking of margaritas....just think Beth, you won't have to buy the bottle of tequila with the worm in it anymore, you'll already have one (or two, or three) :D :D

Munchman & Anonymous

AlisonandMia
10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm trying to think of a cleaver nickname for you and your worms, but I'm drawing a blank.:p

I knew someone who referred to parasites as "little livestock".

Alison

forscooter
10-19-2009, 08:30 PM
No, no, no!! The tequila is to kill the worms!!!! No worms...no how...no way! I do not, will not, can not have worms!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: There is no way this body has worms...none....my body is waaaaay too hostile to grow 'em! It's Parasite Pallie that has worms...and she can keep them to herself!!!

Love, Parasite Pallie and her Worm-free Mommy

There, there is your name!!! The only worms outside of my Pallie is in Louise's blender where they belong!:cool:

PS to Anonymous...you can try to hide but I can still see you with my super wormy eyeballs~ it's like having extra sets of eyes in there......my lovely Louise!!!!

MiniSchnauzerMom
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Was that Parasite Pallie and her Wormfest Mommy?

And by the way, there's no "long slimmy-slimey ones" in my blender, I'll have you know!!!!

Roxee's Dad
12-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Well Beth, thank you for making me laugh. I took the kids outside yesterday morning as I do every morning and let them go explore or do their business while I have my coffee.

Saw that Rozee pooped and being the vigilant poop inspecter that I am, went over to check her poop. First thing that comes to mind is Jenny's poop chart, yes it looks good and firm and then .................. I see WORMS :eek: checked her butt and saw those little pieces of rice :eek: went to the bedroom and checked in the bed and :eek: First thing that came to my mind is BETH and her parisite fest :D and I just started laughing and thought, yeah, this is what I get for laughing at Beth's parisite trials and tribulations.

Off to the vet to get the pills for Rozee, Mickee, Bitsee and Kittee, and very reluctantly a 6 month supply of Frontline for all 4 of my babies :( at a cost of 275 bucks :eek: now scheduling a carpet cleaning (don't know the cost of that yet:( )

So the parisite fest continues but now at my house :p:):eek: Watch out, ye who laughs next......

Harley PoMMom
12-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Saw that Rozee pooped and being the vigilant poop inspecter that I am, went over to check her poop. First thing that comes to mind is Jenny's poop chart, yes it looks good and firm and then .................. I see WORMS :eek: checked her butt and saw those little pieces of rice :eek: went to the bedroom and checked in the bed and :eek: First thing that came to my mind is BETH and her parisite fest :D and I just started laughing and thought, yeah, this is what I get for laughing at Beth's parisite trials and tribulations.

Off to the vet to get the pills for Rozee, Mickee, Bitsee and Kittee, and very reluctantly a 6 month supply of Frontline for all 4 of my babies :( at a cost of 275 bucks :eek: now scheduling a carpet cleaning (don't know the cost of that yet:( )

OMGosh John, you and your poor pups :(

So the parisite fest continues but now at my house :p:):eek: Watch out, ye who laughs next......

I am not laughing, believe me for sure. ;):)

Love and hugs,
Lori