PDA

View Full Version : Do your dogs wear sweaters and/or coats or other doggie apparel?

acushdogsmom
09-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Just a fun poll, but be sure to vote! :D

If you click on any of the results, where it shows how many votes were cast for that option, you'll be able to see who voted for what.

And if you like, you can also post a comment by replying in this thread. :)

Roxee's Dad
09-07-2009, 03:11 PM
The girls wear a pink, fleece lined suede raincoat. Mickee won't go out in bad weather so no clothing for him.

Sometimes when we go out, the girls will wear a jean jacket. Little bit just got a pink hoodie and a pink tutu.:)

acushdogsmom
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
The girls wear a pink, fleece lined suede raincoat.Is it this one? Because if it is, my kid has one too (in blue)! :D :D :D

Sometimes when we go out, the girls will wear a jean jacket. Little bit just got a pink hoodie and a pink tutu.:)We don't have a jean jacket and no tutus for my boy, but he does have a hoodie. :D :D :D

And he has a snowsuit and a hockey team shirt too!

Roxee's Dad
09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Is it this one? Because if it is, my kid has one too (in blue)!

Yes, that's exactly the one (2) in pretty pink :D Too funny!:)

And he has a snowsuit and a hockey team shirt too!

No snowsuits or hockey team shirts, but Roxee had a Jeff Gordon shirt (NASCAR):) and there are various doggles, and doggy hats around the house that they wear for fun when we go out.:)

Harley PoMMom
09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Both of my boys, since they are poms., have that thick, downy fur...so no sweaters or coats needed for them, altho I think they are adorable when they are worn.

MiniSchnauzerMom
09-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Munchie has a fleece lined cape with a high collar. I call it his Elvis cape. :D

Roxee's Dad
09-07-2009, 05:59 PM
I call it his Elvis cape.

Elvis is in the building! Has he learned to give that little lip snarl when he's wearing the cape?:) From what I've heard about Munchie, I would imagine he's really good at the Elvis lip snarl thing.;):)

sunimist
09-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Don't think Suni is gonna cotton to wearing anything . I put a little t-shirt on her after her surgery and she had it off before I got it completely on! She took off shaking it to high Heaven! :D

Misty was my little "pageant girl". She didn't really like to dress up, but she tolerated it for mom. :)

SasAndYunah
09-08-2009, 01:48 AM
I voted "Yes but only for rainy, cold or snowy weather"...but it kind of depends on the dog and the circumstances. When I still had Pascha, the miniature poodle, he started wearing coats during winter when he was about 14 years old because his fur was thinning. But for example Yunah now, is young and healthy with a thick coat, so she doesn't wear a coat...only a "reflection coat" when its dark for safety purposes. So, the answer would be "Yes, for functional reasons only" :)

Saskia and Yunah :)

John II
09-09-2009, 03:27 AM
Angelina doesn't really like her fleece lined coat.

She's spent much of winter with a folded beach towel over her back. Nothing to keep it in place - yet she gets up changes position, walks about the house, and the towel stays put - mostly ;)

ChristyA
09-10-2009, 10:10 PM
When Dexter's hair was thin due to Cushing's I had him wearing a sweatshirt, I think he was okay with it.

When Sophie was older and it was bitter cold here I bought her a nice fleece coat. When I put it on her she wouldn't move a bone in her body! She would stand perfectly still until you took it off her. When Dexter & Sophie were both still with me, if I did put a t-shirt on Sophie, he would rip it off her.

LuLu looks at me like I'm nuts if I try to brush her. Luckily she's boxer so she has really short hair. I don't think she'll go for a sweater.

Erik has a ton of hair.

Christy

acushdogsmom
09-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Looks like we're in the minority, Louise! :D

StarDeb55
09-11-2009, 10:43 PM
We live in the Phoenix metro area, enough said.

Debbie

Sabre's Mum
09-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Sabre has a fleece jacket and an oilskin jacket. We only use them in the rain or when it's cold as generally vizsla's have short coats (the hair variety) but with Sabre's Lysodren he is the hairest vizsla in the world! We haven't used the coats much this winter ... he is more accustomed to parking himself in front of the fireplace!

Angela

Truffa's Mom
09-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Even during the hot summer, when it rains in Houston, it really pours and sometimes the whole day!!!So how are we going to the bathroom if we don't have a raincoat??? Nina Loves water in any form, but Truffa before the discovery of the amazing yellow hooded rain coat, made her mommy go outside with a big umbrella:eek:

And because WE (meaning Truffa)have to walk everyday at night to poop and just plain exercise, well, jackets are in order so you can walk for 30 minutes and don't get soak wet!!!

And of course during winter (even in Houston)when we walk outside, I froze to death during our walks so Truffa wears a cute faux suede or wool coat and Miss Nina a light Fido Coat. And if we go on vacations to a snowy place we pack our own valise!!!

Roxee's Dad
09-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Looks like we're in the minority, Louise! :D

Actually, poor Scott is in the minority :)

I think Moria would look nice in a pink hoodie :D

SasAndYunah
09-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Yunah has a pink (raincoat) hoody :p For a functional purpose ;) Let's say I have to go to the hospital and it's pouring outside...it's not nice to enter a "clean" place like a hospital with a soaking wet dog, shaking in the waiting room :D

Sas and Yunah :)

muskyhusky
09-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I plan on getting Cooper something for the winter, maybe some boots too, Cooper is our 5 month old Shih Tzu, he sure is a crazy little dog as compared to Shadow my husky.;)

Snoopy
09-26-2009, 09:21 AM
I would love to see a doggie parade :cool:..living in Holland i do believe we're way behind with dogfasion ..:):):)

Tamarah
09-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Crash and Darby don't have sweaters, but they each are sporting a new St. Louis Cardinals jersey. They got them just in time for the Cards to clinch the central division title last night. Wahoooo!:D

hfurlotte
10-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Zoe Claire wore a Pink fleece after her open liver biopsy and the two boys do have sweaters but don't like them....guess Labs like to be cool without :)

AlisonandMia
10-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Mia had some coats - quite a few actually. She was a strange shaped dog apparently - very big in the shoulders with a big, round rib cage which may have been why she had more stamina than any dog I've ever seen but it meant that off-the-peg apparel didn't often fit her. I made coats for her out of fleecy material and they worked very well and she loved them in cold weather. She also had some thermal "underwear" made out of the sleeves of long-sleeved thermal vests I bought at the local op-shop. Us humans wore the vests minus the sleeves and Mia got the modified sleeves.

I've introduced two dogs to clothes (also looked after my sister-in-laws mini poodle puppy for a while) and both accepted their coats with no problem. In both cases I put the coats on them after they'd got a bit chilly so they could see the point of wearing clothes - I don't know if this is why they accepted them so well or if I was just lucky.:p

Zac doesn't need a coat in our climate - just a warm snuggly bed will do him.

When I was growing up, in a much colder climate than Brisbane, you never, never saw a dog wearing a coat (such things just didn't exist) whereas now it's not unusual to see what looks like a young, healthy lab or similar medium to large, well-furred dog being walked on an evening of around 18 degrees C (about 65F) in a coat!

Alison

littleone1
10-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Corky does have a few jackets. Even though it doesn't get extremely cold here, Corky still minds the cold weather. When the temps get into the low 40's and 30's, he does wear his jacket, especially because of the pins in both of his hind legs.

Terri

Roxee's Dad
10-26-2009, 09:06 AM
For those pups that have more clothes than mom or dad :)

http://www.petsinclothes.com/index.php?c=2

Franklin'sMum
10-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Franklin has jackets, coats, a pair of doggles and one time I tried to put booties on him.

By the time I got the third bootie on, he'd taken off the first one :)

He hates jumpers though. Bailey prefers jumpers to jackets. Odd (but bootiful) little fellows
Jane and Franklin xx
________
Yamaha Tg77 Specifications (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_TG77)

micki18
11-09-2009, 02:18 PM
My small dogs (beagle mix and doxie mix) do when it is cold. They don't like wearing them though so the clothes come off as soon as they are back in the house.

The lab mix just goes out naked..:)

Franklin'sMum
11-10-2009, 04:59 AM
The lab mix just goes out naked..:)

Ha ha ha :):):):):) They do love to be naked, though.
Thanks for the giggle;)
Jane and Franklin xx
________
Yzr-m1 (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_YZR-M1)

specklesmama
11-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I often tried to have Speckles wear sweaters because she was always so cold in the winter and spring. She hated wearing them though. Towards the last year or so, she did not fight it as much and wore them. She was wearing a blue sweater when she died in February, suddenly at home, on our sofa.

Schnapps enjoys wearing bandanas, sweaters, whatever, because of the attention he gets. Toode seems to enjoy them also. She will go to her sweater, and rub her head on it, as though to "tell" us to put it on her. She seems to be somewhat cold natured, although only a puppy. Neither she nor Schnapps are diagnosed with Cushings, only Speckles.

frankie
12-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Frankie does not want to go out without a coat or sweater if it is cold. :D

One thing is, his front legs get stuck in the sweater since he has such short legs. Sometimes, it turnes out to be him having front legs out from the neck portion which is quite funny.

Casey's Mom
01-09-2010, 12:10 AM
It gets cold here so Desi wears her fuzzy fleece coat most walks and sometimes they both wear fleece boots to prevent foot freeze if its below -15 celcius. For those of you that don't know foot freeze we will get halfway around our walk and someone will hold up a paw and limp. I can carry Desi but not Casey! Casey has a gorgeous green plaid coat with a fur collar but only wears it in the car. They seem to be coldest in the car.

Poochie
01-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes! i have a little coat for when its really cold out

Roxee's Dad
02-14-2010, 10:06 AM
"Ruff" Day for City Dog Mugged for His Designer Winter Coat!

How sad that someone would steal the coat right off this dogs back:( poor baby had to walk home shivering and naked :eek:;)

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/02/10/crimesider/entry6194344.shtml

lulusmom
02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
That's pretty disgusting but it could have been much worse....somebody could have kidnapped the dog. Never, ever leave your dog unattended, even for a minute or two.

Bonniemom
02-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I can't believe somebody would steal a coat from a dog! I too agree that the dog should not have been left unattended. Mine are never unattended, not in my back yard, not in my car or anywhere. I'd die if somebody took them!
My smallest Yorkie, Bonnie (the one with Cushing's) will wear sweaters when it's cold out. The bigger Yorkie, Belinda, hates them. Her fur is so thick that you can't even see her skin anywhere, so she tends to be too warm to wear sweaters unless we're having an unusually low temperature here in Northeast TN. Bonnie wears sweaters to the vet on mornings it is very cold.
My mother-in-law likes to knit or sew outfits for them. They have several matching outfits which include little hats. They are so cute! Belinda will only wear hers long enough to have her picture made. I love dog clothes.

Roxee's Dad
02-15-2010, 01:49 PM
My mother-in-law likes to knit or sew outfits for them. They have several matching outfits which include little hats. They are so cute! Belinda will only wear hers long enough to have her picture made. I love dog clothes.

Pictures pleeeeease. :):):):):)

Bubbagump
02-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Hi John, Arwen used to when her hair was very thin.I made it out of an old jumper i had to keep her warm.Sadly i dont have any pictures:)

Suz x;)

Rebelsmom
04-21-2010, 06:05 PM
I had clothes for Rebel, but since he got fat, I mean chubby. He can't fit into any of them anymore. He does still have a redsox jersey that almost fits... He had the cutest jean jacket with leather trim at one time, now it won't fit all the way around him!

Melissa

lulusmom
04-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Melissa, tell Rebel that his Aunt Glynda is on the chubby side and has a closet full of sweaters and coats that won't fit her either. :D

Rebelsmom
04-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Melissa, tell Rebel that his Aunt Glynda is on the chubby side and has a closet full of sweaters and coats that won't fit her either. :D

Hahaha, I'll be sure to let him know. Although I don't think he really minds. I think the only thing he misses is his bathrobe. It doesn't fit anymore either. There is a pic in my profile of him wearing it back when he was a smaller dog! :D

Melissa

nicole
02-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Atticus wears clothes just about every day, regardless of the weather. Since he's a hairless dog he needs all the extra protection he can get, so he has everything from t-shirts, to sweatshirts, jackets, jammies, snowsuits.. you name it. Unfortunately though a lot of his outfits no longer fit from his weight gain. I don't want to throw the clothes away, because they're not very worn out, but I don't know what to do with them. Anyone have any ideas about it?

Roxee's Dad
02-21-2013, 09:37 PM
A local rescue would be very appreciative of any donations.

nicole
02-24-2013, 03:39 PM
That's a good idea. I think I heard that my local ASPCA takes dog clothes as donations. I'll have to check it out.

NoonelovesmelikeNorman
02-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Norman as one sweater, but can't wear it as when he urinates he gets it wet - always had a larger tummy.
Millie (minature yorkie-pooh)- Normans sister, as several sweaters and two coats. One is from Paris Hilton :cool: (left at Oshkosh Air Show - a gift from an old neighbor a few years ago.)- of course it is Pink.
Millie has a sweater and coat on yesterday after the groomer...The coat came off when we arrived home, the sweater stayed on. She sleeps in bed with me, usually under the covers, and is able to undress herself and she did once up I put on another sweater.

When I brought Millie home Christmas Day, she was as big as a beanie baby. By summer she weighed about 3-4 pounds. I had her leashed in the front yard. The neighbor called and said a car had drove around the block several times and even stopped in front of the house....Scary!!! Never left her in front again. She never barked back then...I would have been devasted. Very grateful the neighbor noticed and called me.

FemaleK9
07-13-2013, 06:43 PM
I voted "other," because Rosie only wears:

1. Thundershirt - for daytime or distant thunderstorms, or when Rosie thinks there are going to be thunderstorms, or if Rosie dreams there is a thunderstorm (for nighttime thunderstorms, or very close storms, I have to sedate her.)

2. Halloween costume - I try to keep her costumes as minimal and canine-friendly as possible (see photo in my Rosie album.)