PDA

View Full Version : Checking in for September 2009

acushdogsmom
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
We suspect that we have a good number of folks here who read the messages regularly but who don't post very often. Maybe that's because their dogs are doing well and they don't have any questions to ask, or maybe they don't feel very comfortable about posting answers to other members' questions.

It's perfectly understandable and acceptable for folks to only post here once in a while, but when we don't hear from people, many of us find ourselves wondering what those folks have been up to recently and how their dogs are doing.

"Checking in" is a topic that we start on the first of each month, where folks can post a reply to let everyone else know how they are doing. You may just want to say "Hi! We're still here and we're doing fine" or you may want to tell us more -- about a really good test result, or something funny that your dog did recently, or a camping trip that you went on ... that sort of thing.

We'd love to hear from you! :)

lleigh
09-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi everybody!

I am back in school! Children don't start until 9/8. Hard to believe the summer has gone.

Piper Rose and I (mostly me) are in obedience training. Everyone passes the beginner class (even us) so we have moved on to the sub-novice class. Piper is the only one in the class not paying attention. Well, she is paying attention to every one else's business. The instructor informed me that we might need a private session or two. I am quite embarrassed as the other students are doing so well. There is always one in every class, as they say. Guess we are it! Does canine ADD (attention deficit) exist?

I miss my dear Lucy so much. Time and much distraction (Piper Rose) have helped quite a lot.

My very best to everyone!

Lyn

January
09-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Everyone,
I thought I would update Serena's story here and in her regular storyline. She is doing well. Right now we are working with a doggy dermatologist to get her fur to grow back. Right now, she has thin fur on her body -- much like that which is caused by Cushings. I think that the problem is that she has prednisone induced Cushings. She has been on 2 mg. of prednisone for quite a few months to control her IBD. Over the past two weeks she has been reduced to 1 mg. every other day and seems to be doing very well on that. She even gained a little weight. We will see the dermatologist next Tuesday and I am hoping that the reduction has improved her fur/skin. Other than that she is her old bratty self. I am thankful for every day that she is with me and able to enjoy her life.
As always,
January and Serena

we3dogs
09-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Wow - was so happy to see that all I had to do was log in - user name & pw still working. nice! and so happy to see Ed and his picture in the "In Loving Memory" section. Thank you so much...
Where to begin?
Angel is finer than fine! She had her ATCH in May (I'll have to look up the results) but she is on about 3mg of liquid trilo per day. And this was the dog on 75mg last fall and was so sick! I LOVE using the liquid - so much easier than having to force the pill down.
Pebbles has never gotten Cushings. (If you don't know me, Pebbles was at a shelter with a cancush diagnosis; I didn't think she had it but added her to the canine mix at home and she tested negative).
And...I went to buy dog food on July 11th. Once a month the owner lets a local shelter have a pet adoption day - and that month's was on July 11th, of course! So proud of myself for sticking with my "I only need 2 dogs" mantra, and "having 3 dogs is alot of work and $$" mantra. They had 2 black lab puppies who were gorgeous! (thoughts of beloved Zee!) And a bunch of other dogs that had just come up from down south and avoided being put down by about a day or so. Then I see her - black and white and her name is Oreo. A Jack Russell with maybe a little rat terrier. And darn it all - this is my son's dog. He is 11 and wanted a "small dog, and a young dog, and if I could, a dog that is not sick please." So after I rushed home to get Alex so he could meet Oreo, she came home with us. Oh, no waiting period and a foster home for a few days. I wanted her and I wanted her NOW! So I wrote the check and took her home on the spot (they let me because I work with the shelter worker's dad and therefore a known nut, not just some nut from the street!) 'We3dogs' is back in action!
You should see her - it is pure love for all of us (except Angel, who I now call "the Grande Dame" as in "Oreo! don't disturb the Grande Dame - she does not want to wrestle - ever!"). My husband just says "whatever you want" and he added that at least I am getting better at this - Oreo is not old sick or big! I went from 100 lb Zee! and 80 lb Ed and 75 lb Concho to Pebbles (40 lbs), Angel (a svelte 30 lb - svelte for a cush beagle!) and 9 mo old Oreo weighing in at 10 lbs!
I hope to catch up with old friends and meet some new ones this fall!!!
Love love love to you all, my cushing family!

H-man
09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi all,
Harry had his 15th birthday last week - little old man. He's slow this week - really acting his age! i think he has an eye problem that's causing some discomfort so we'll be off to the vet. He's a celebrity at our park because he's just sooo cute and know who has all the treats. He's getting along well with Izzy though I wish the same could be said for her - she still snaps at him with dominance in mind. Work to be done there!
Hope everyone is well. Missing Patsy terribly.

Wendy, Harry, Izzy and Patsy in heaven xxxx

Loraine
09-09-2009, 03:49 AM
Hello people :D I am still having a sneaky check in from time to time. My boy is celebrating his 7th birthday today, and I can hardly believe that he has been here since 2005. H can never replace my beloved Coco, but he is a faithful, funny and good friend.

Hugs
Loraine (Coco's Mum forever, now Zedley's Mum)

clydetheboosmom
09-15-2009, 09:36 PM
HELLO!

My user name and pw didn't work :( But I'm here now!

OMGoodness, how IS everyone??

Clyde and Bailey are hanging with me, and I'm anxious to see how everyone is doing!

Lynne, Clyde & Bailey

Randy Abercrombie
09-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Thought I might stick my head in and let all know that my Champ is a hero. He has been diabetic for five years and was diagnosed with Cushing's April of this year. For the first time in five years we were able to lower his insulin dose a tad with his most recent blood work. Pretty big deal for us since the old boy has had nothing but bad news for way too many years. Anyway, just thought I would stick my head in and say howdy... And Champ is still a Champ!
Randy Abercrombie

Bagel's Mom
09-19-2009, 12:50 PM
ALWAYS great to hear a good report!! HAPPY SATURDAY to all of you! Sande and Bagel

Bagel's Mom
09-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Bagel got an ALL clear yesterday from her latest urine recheck after a BAD bladder infection and stone...All is well today. We have had some much needed rain but no chance to go out in the doggie stroller for a few days! Every day is a blessing with my girl!! Sande and Bagel

Snoopy
09-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi every one
Have been too busy lately to check the forum ..hopefully will catch up on all the stories. Snoopy is doing okay ..had her blood and urine test, a year after the operation and everything looks good !
She will be 10 in november and the way she's going I'm counting on a few more years
Bye Snoopy and Mienke
:):):):):):)