PDA

View Full Version : Drug Donation Program?

bkdice
08-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi all. I'm wondering if any of you know of a drug donation program. I have leftover Lysodren, Tylosin, Vitamin K, and Cerenia that I hate to just dump. I know I can't legally offer it up to the public - but I've heard of drug donation programs before. Please let me know if you have any info.

Thanks!

Roxee's Dad
08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I donated all of Roxee's meds to a responsible local animal rescue. I actually volunteer there and know she is a very responsible caretaker. She will find a home for the Trilo and she can use the Soloxine as she has quite a few pups on Soloxine.

Squirt's Mom
08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi Bettina,

So sweet to want to offer help to others!

As John said, the local shelters may be able to use the meds, and you might check with your vet to see if there is a client who needs help, plus rescue groups are a good place to offer help of any kind.

I hope your heart is healing as the days go by.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

bkdice
08-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Thank you both. I'm checking with the vet. If they have nothing in place, I'll check with some local rescue groups. Hopefully they can help another animal out there.

gpgscott
08-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for asking Bettina,

We have had some folks get quite upset when we have removed posts here offering to give away meds. We just can't allow that sort of activity to take place on our site. I have never had to and I would find it hard to believe a Dr. would take in meds because of the liability.

It sure does not hurt to ask around, please let us know what you learn.

Scott

Truffa's Mom
08-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi Bettina,

I know of this Cancer Awareness Supplement Exchange (http://caninecancerawareness.org/html/SupplementExchange.html) web site, where you can donate OVER THE COUNTER Supplements, and you can help a lot of families in need , not just cancer patients pets, and is tax deductible. Everybody wins, but specially your heart and the memory of your baby.

They say that for prescribed medications you'll have to check if your vet has an "in house program". Hope your vet or any responsible shelter in your area will benefit from your wonderful heart.

Hope you are doing a little bit better, I love the videos of your baby on Youtube, specially the sneeze, but in general I love his gentle face following you. You and your family are in my thoughts

bkdice
08-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Scott - Thanks. I know I can't legally offer my prescription drugs up to just anyone, so I do hope there is a donation program. I'll give it some time and effort - and if nothing - then I will just discard of it properly.

Marcela - Thanks for the kind words about my boy. :) I lost a human friend to lung cancer in May after a valiant battle. The hospice folks took all the drugs to discard them. Seemed like such a shame they couldn't donate them (these were the prescriptions).

While I've been happy to force my husband to discard old torn t-shirts, and bad furniture that he brought into our house years ago, I hate to waste things that could really benefit someone. I'll keep you all posted as to what I 'dig up'.

Truffa's Mom
08-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Bettina sorry for your "human" loss.
The link that I gave you is for Dogs., so click on it and maybe your furry angel baby can keep helping another ones from his same species!!!. Although just the medications that doesn't need RX can be donated on this web site.

I'd would be also upset if I have to waste something that can benefit another ones. I saw a segment the other day on TV. about a vet donating his time vaccinating and giving primary care to other people's animals, but can't remember where it was. Kind of a Patch Adams for animals, wouldn't be wonderful if just the meaning of give to another one would mean just that?

Well when you come from another country as I do, where poverty is on every corner, if you can help you just do it without thinking in liabilities and all this legal stuff. I still have a very hard time when I go to restaurants and they throw away good food that they can't donate for liability reasons... my dad was a doctor and every year along with all the clothes and everything that we donated, at least two big boxes of medication were also donated to communities in need.

Apparently I was rambling.. sorry... but you made me think.

rhodesian46
08-20-2009, 08:54 PM
When I told Texas A & M that I was getting rid of all Pebbles meds the IMS said that she didn't hear what I said!!!!!( LOL) I would call your local foster people. But hush you can't tell anyone or post it!!!

bkdice
08-24-2009, 08:54 PM
So I heard back from my vet, and they do have a donation program there so I can take his old prescriptions to them. :) Glad I checked with them. I'm so glad another pup will benefit from his unused drugs.

Squirt's Mom
08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Me, too, Bettina. And I am sure Niko is very proud of you for doing this!

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

ChristyA
08-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Bettina,
I'm sure somebody will be so happy to be able to have access to those meds. As we all know they can be very expensive and with all the testing that goes with Cushing's some people just can't afford it all.

That was very thoughtful of you. You will be someone's angel.
Christy

gpgscott
08-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks Bettina,

I am glad you stayed with it and found a way for the meds to be used by someone else.

You are the first member I can think of who has posted about doing it this way.

Best to you and your family.

Scott

labblab
05-31-2011, 11:10 AM
I just came across this article today, and wanted to post it here for reference purposes. It has been put together by the National Conference of State Legislatures, and summarizes efforts that have been made by individual states to legalize medication donation/recycling as long as certain conditions are met. This summary addresses human medications but I'm guessing that within each state, similar provisions might relate to veterinary medications, too. So take a look at what laws may be in effect for your own state. There may now be even greater opportunities for legal donation to vets and rescue groups than there were in the past.

http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/Health/StatePrescriptionDrugReturnReuseandRecyclin/tabid/14425/Default.aspx

Marianne

Squirt's Mom
09-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Just bumping up....