PDA

View Full Version : Non-slip boots (paint) info needed

Nathalie
08-18-2009, 08:01 PM
If I remember correctly, somebody posted something about a spray-on paint to make boots non-slip. I forgot to bookmark it and for the life of me I can't find it. :o
Could whoever posted the info please repost it?

Phillip is wearing baby socks on his hind legs because of the pressure sores and I can't find them in his size (0-6 mon) with the non-slip stuff on the bottom. I guess its because kids this young don't walk yet.
Thanks,
Nathalie

ventilate
08-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi; It was me; What I found and have used and actually works pretty good. I put it on bothsides of her boots incase they turn around on her feet.
the paint is called puff paint, you can get it at michaels crafts. be sure to get the matt as there is glossy and that is a little bit slippery. It still grips but not as well. it is n.ot a spray on it comes in small squirt bottles, that is what I found anyway
let me know how it works for you
Sharon

AlisonandMia
08-18-2009, 08:36 PM
One thing you can do with baby socks to make them non-slip is to put some Silastic (or similar product) on the socks - turns ordinary socks into non-slip socks!

When I've done it I've put cardboard in the socks and dabbed the Silastic on the underside of the socks. Because the socks will probably rotate and end up on up the wrong way it might be a good idea to put some spots of the Silastic on the top of the sock as well.

It seems to stick on really well but I've always turned the socks inside out when I wash them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silastic

Alison

Nathalie
08-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi Sharon and Alison,
Thanks for the info. Since you guy's have done this before do you have any tricks up your sleeves to actually keep them on? Phillip's are usually off when I get up in the morning.

Silastic - where would I actually buy this? I googled 'where to buy Silastic ' and among other things I got where I can by non-toxic Silastic condoms from india. :D Not quite what we need.:D
Nathalie

AlisonandMia
08-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Hardware store - or even the hardware shelves in a supermarket. It may be sold as a "silicon sealant" or something similar and is used for things like waterproofing showers etc. It's comes in a tube and the stuff itself is clear - depending on the exact formulation it will often smell of vinegar while it is curing.

I used socks on Zac (similar in size to Phillip) and used the smallest size baby socks I could find. I found that little (home made) garters made out of 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide flat elastic held them on really well even during a walk. Just had to keep an eye out as he occasionally "threw" one but overall they stayed put very well and didn't bother him although he did notice them at first. I did have to experiment a bit to find the perfect size for the garters.

I was using them as a sort of boot (used a thick layer of silastic over the soul of the sock whereas you would probably only need dots of it) to keep spiky burrs out of his feet a few years ago. Worked pretty well - fortunately the burrs haven't been anything like as bad since then so I haven't needed to use them.

Alison

Nathalie
08-25-2009, 07:42 AM
I was not able to find Puff-Paint at the local Michaels but found something similar that is called Scribble 3D paint.
It works quite well but does not quite give as much grip as I hoped it would but works well enough for now and sure beats having to put real dog boots on both feet which I know Phillip would just hate.
Maybe I will try the silicone sealer to see if it gives a better grip.

As the 2 of you suggested I applied the paint on the bottom as well as on the top part of the sock in circles so it does not matter if they turn around – good thinking as they are always turned around in the morning. :)
1 sock does not give enough padding so I bought some fluffier socks to wear on the inside and slip the socks with the non-slip paint on top. He has been wearing the ‘double-socks’ since Sunday and it already has made a difference in his pressure sores.

Thanks again for the info ladies.
Nathalie